Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Every Single One ❯ What They Can't See; Part One: Purpose ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three: What They Can't See
Part One:Purpose
 
A/N: Konnichiwa minna-san! Thank you all so much for the feedback, but I am rather short on time, so I can't individually thank you. But, I promise that I'll do that for the next chapter! ^^'
Now onto the chapter
 
 
Mii walked the worn dirt path to the Sohma family onsen. Today was one of her days off; after all, today was Sunday. Mii no longer dressed in her normal working outfit was wearing a light summer dress of a baby blue color with a sunflower design sown in and a pair of sandals. In her hands she held a picnic basket because she and Ritsu were going on a picnic.
 
She didn't know what it was, but something was telling her that Ritsu was going to be different. It was then that the words of Hatori rang through her head,” Any of the Sohma's you encounter…may…act differently. The cause id Honda-san, our head of the family, Akito, forced her to leave. Try not to mention Honda-san, as you know, us Sohma's are not good with people or emotions.”
 
He had called her earlier that morning, waking her from her sleep. Of course, if Hatori hadn't woken her when he had, then she wouldn't have had enough time to make the lunch that she now held.
 
As she knocked on the door to the onsen, Mii thought about her relationship with Sohma Ritsu. Could they…no…Would they even be considered a couple? They only went out on a “date” two times before (though they have met at Shigure's house and the onsen quite a few times), have never kissed, or even held hands. Yet, she cared for him, she knew this. She was so happy every time she made him smile or saw a new ounce of self-confidence. She helped him and he helped her. She liked him, but did she love him…?
 
“Mii-san?”
 
“Oh, gomen, Rii-san for zoning out and keeping you waiting like that!” Mii exclaimed, what with her self- confidence still not as strong as other people's.
 
“It's okay Mii-san…I shouldn't have waited so long to say something…And, please, don't call me Rii-san!” Mii could see how hard Ritsu worked on that sentence and she was extremely proud of him not apologizing.
 
“Would it be okay if I called you Rii-kun then?” She asked him in a rather unsure voice, looking up at his face for the first time that day.
 
She looked at his face and watched as his eyes widened in a happy surprised way, and a smile graced his soft features. “Y-yes, you can call me that…So; can I call you Mii-chan?” She loved his timid voice, so kind and sensitive…And…did he just ask her if it was okay to be called Mii-chan? Mii-chan, yes, she would like it if Ritsu called her that. She would like that a lot.
 
“I would love it if you called me Mii-chan.” She smiled as she answered his question.
 
“Oh no, gomen nasai! I've kept you outside for so long! I should have asked you to come in before now! Gomen…”
 
Mii cut Ritsu off before he want into panic mode. He may have gained some small amount of self-confidence, but Ritsu was still Ritsu, and that meant apologizes. “That's okay, I came…”she looked down at her watch,” two hours early! Oh, how did you know that I was at the door? After all, I don't believe I knocked or rang the doorbell.”
 
“I-I had planned to do some errands before you came over. I should have told you before hand…This is all my fault!” She watched as his porcelain colored cheeks were lightly painted pink.
 
“Actually, I believe it is my fault, but enough with the blaming. That won't get us anywhere anyway. How about I take a dip in the onsen and you go and do your errands?” The plan sounded reasonable to Mii, after all, Ritsu's mom liked her and told Mii how she was good for her son.
 
“Are you sure that you are okay with that?”
 
“Hai.” I nodded my head for added emphasis.
 
“Alright then, I'll go tell my mother, please come inside.” Ritsu walked into the house and went to tell his mother. Meanwhile Mii took off her sandals and waited for Ritsu's mother to come. As she waited she wondered what Ritsu had to do. This led her to think of her personality change that the Sohma's bring out of her. One could make her go crazy, feel so self-conscious, hardly any self-esteem, and get her in such a frenzy that she even wrote a suicide note. She only partially paid attention as Ritsu's mother brought her to a room and apologizing quite a few times along the way. Mii thanked her, got undressed, and wrapped a towel around her body.
 
As Mill slipped into the hot water she felt her body melt. Become one with the liquid that surrounded her and a serenity pass over her mind and soul. This calmness made her think of the Sohma who brought out the good in her. One that could make her peaceful, make her forget who she is, make her feel as if her being there was worthwhile, so, at one with herself that…Mii's eyes widened in realization…
 
She was in love with Sohma Ritsu. This striking fact shocked her brain for a second, but soon sunk in. Her widened eyes turned to half opened ones-at one point an emotion of surprise that turned into an emotion of contentment, and a soft smile flourished across her face.” I'm in love! I'm in love with Sohma Ritsu! I'm…In…Love…” Over and over she repeated this sentence through her head and it made her feel like a teenager again.
 
Letting her body dip deeper into the soothing water and her eyelids drop down over her chocolate colored eyes; this train of thought opened her mind to the memory of her first date with Ritsu…
 
-Flashback-
 
Ragged breathing. The feeling of the blood pumping so quickly through her veins. A hurt and overused feeling running through her legs as she zoomed down the busy road of the city. She was late…Late!
 
Her first date ever and she was late! How horrible…yes, this was truly a terror. She finally found a decent man to devote some of her time to and she was running late! What an idiot! These thoughts swarmed Mii's head, eve as she skidded around a corner and saw the café.
 
As she continued her high paced run down the sidewalk she could already feel her energy to run fading from her limbs. So, closing her eyes tight, Mii rushed forward and was going good until…BAM! Mii had smacked full force into a person.
 
The automatic words known as an apology spilled off of Mii's lips. And it would have spilled out again had it not been for the voice of the person she had hit into. The timid voice that sounded like it could belong to a woman, yet at the same it didn't. The dead giveaway of who the owner of the voice, though, was the bouts of apologizes and words of unworthy-ness. It was Ritsu…
 
…Wait! It was Ritsu! What…A…Complete…Mess…Yes, her first date was turning out to be nothing short of a total disaster.” Ritsu-san! Gomen nasai! Oh, how awful! This is all my fault!” As each word passed through Mii's lips she could feel her control over her ready-to-fall-tears slip away.
 
“Oh, no! It was all my fault! Gomen! Gomen ne, gomen nasai! I am too awful of a person to go on a date with anyone! You were late because you weren't used to getting up so early, and I was the one who set the time, so in the end all of this is all my fault! Gom…”
 
Mii couldn't hold it in any longer. The laughter was too powerful to be held for any length of time inside. A release had been needed and that was when it came. “Oh, how rude of me, I shouldn't have laughed. You must have thought that I was laughing at you, but really, you were just too adorable. You are so sweet…Maybe even too sweet.” She said it all and now held a smile on her face, and the smile was framed by a light blush. She also noticed how Ritsu's eyes were slightly widened and a small flush was painted across his cheeks and over his nose.
 
She then watched as laughter escaped his lips. And as they both laughed at their foolish actions; it was at that moment that Mii really looked at Ritsu. When he smiled…When he laughed…He was absolutely gorgeous and she made it her mission to make him smile and laugh as much as possible…
 
-End Flashback-
 
Now as she though about it-making him laugh and smile became easier and much more frequent. Her first date and, as later found out (but easily guessed); his first also, turned out to be much better than thought in the beginning.
 
“Mii-chan! Mii-chan! You should wake up; you've been in the water too long…Gomen for keeping you waiting!” The girlish voice of Ritsu wiggled its way through Mii's mind and stopped the flashback of their first date short.
 
Opening her eyes, Mii saw the concerned face of Ritsu leaning over the steaming water. As realization struck the both of them, two things occurred-Ritsu went into an apologizing rampage and Mii wrapped the towel tighter around her breasts and her face in a full bloomed blush.
 
Ritsu then left before she could get a better look at him. Assuming he went to wait for her in the lobby she dried off, changed back into her sundress, and headed for the lobby all the while picking up the picnic basket on her way out of the room. The sight that she came upon stunned her.
 
There, in front of her, was Ritsu…Or, she believed it was Ritsu. She looked him over and the first thing she noticed was his hair, which was now cut just below his ears, it looked exactly like the haircut he has in the picture she had seen when he was a child. Along with the new haircut, he also had a new outfit. She noticed that the clothes that Ritsu wore were nothing fancy, nothing really outspoken, but clean and simple. He had on a pair of khaki colored dress pants and a reddish-brown (almost rustic) color bottom up shirt.
 
She was enthralled by his new look, Mii knew how gorgeous Ritsu was before and she already realized that she was in love with him…Yet, now, he was amazingly handsome and everything blended so well together. Mii also noticed how Ritsu kept his head down, eyes downcast, so she walked right up to him. She was close…She could feel him tense up, but she still reached out her hand and titled his head up.
 
They were mere inches apart and saw how his eyes were shut tight. Smiling gently she told him softly to open his eyes and watched as they both opened slowly. He bit his bottom lip as the chocolate color of his eyes began to show, and with a smile still in place she quietly told him, “You look very handsome…right now…in that outfit…”
 
“Arigato, Mii-chan…y-you look very lovely in that dress.” With both faces stained red from the words just spoken, Mii hesitantly took Ritsu's hand and lead him towards the front door. Still holding his hand they walked through the door together. Yet, once they were outside Ritsu shyly took the lead.
 
Mii held the picnic basket tighter in her right hand. She was nervous, Ritsu was still holding her hand and she was planning on talking to Ritsu about their relationship (if it could be called that) today. Taking a deep sigh she put such nerve racking thoughts behind her as they continued to walk through the beautiful landscape of the onsen.
 
Walking. They had been walking for quite awhile before Mii's curious mind got the best of her,” Where exactly are we going anyway?”
 
“Oh…um, it's right up here.” Mii looked at were Ritsu pointed and noticed a large tree, which made her take notice of how there was a whole patch of trees that seemed to be surrounding something. She assumed that they were going to climb it. “I hope you don't mind having to climb this tree. I-I'll help you out whenever you need it. There is a really pulchritudinous (1) spot right beyond the way.”
 
She just watched as Ritsu effortlessly pulled himself onto the lowest tree branch and offer his hand to her. Mii took his hand, looked straight into his eyes, and the words that kindly left her lips were,” I don't mind at all.” So, they made their way up the ancient tree and Mii watched in amazement as Ritsu zoomed up the tree. Her body was slightly tired as she tried to keep up with him, but still asked,” H…Have you ever thought o…of becoming a g-gymnast o…or something?”
 
As soon as these words left Mii's mouth she knew that Ritsu had not been expecting it. But he answered the question none the less, not sounding out of breathe at all,” Well, I'm going to college and I-I want to major in a-art.”
 
“Can you show me your drawings sometime?” I would love to see them.” She finished her request right when Ritsu reached the top of the tree and over to the small edge of land that lay next to it. Mii's request was granted when Ritsu's hand reached down and clasped hers. His face a bright red and facing downward readily agreed to show her his work at some time.
 
But all thoughts about drawings were wiped from Mii's mind. For right there in front of her was what she could only describe as, a mini jungle. A small living oasis in the middle of a field of rolling hills; a rather large hill surround by much smaller ones on a piece of land owned by the Sohma's. “This is amazing! It's beautiful.” Mii was almost lost for words. There was a small pond surrounded by fresh and healthy green grass. Over to one corner of this small enclosure was a quant and cozy log cabin. All of this was blocked by the rest of the world by a circle of lush green trees, how she had not seen it earlier, she did not know. The only thing she could come up with was that her thoughts had taken over her mind.
 
“Was that little log cabin always there, or did you build it?” The question was bugging her mind.
 
“No-No…I could never have built anything like that, but, I-I do have my artwork in there.” Ritsu said this all the while looking downward; his shorter cut hair was just barely falling over his warm, brown eyes.
 
A gently look and tone was the response that Ritsu received from the previous statement,” Can you show me them?”
 
“Ah, um, sure.” Mii was slowly able to see and hear how Ritsu was changing. She could feel how she was changing also. They were both becoming more confident…Be able to talk to one another comfortably, and neither had apologized over something meaningless in a while.
 
So, together they walked to the small cabin and Ritsu hesitantly took Mii's hand in his own. They were…They were holding hands. Mii squeezed Ritsu's hand in reassurance and she felt Ritsu squeeze back. Maybe they were a couple, or slowly becoming one anyway.
 
The ground was hard and the grass full. They were almost at the cabin when Mii went to rest her head against Ritsu's shoulder and felt him tense up and then was rewarded with him backing away from her. Eyebrows crushing together in confusion Mii could only get out,” Rii-kun…” She backed away from him, feeling hurt. For she had thought for a spilt second that Ritsu liked, maybe even loved, her. After all, for Ritsu to take her hand willingly like that must mean something about how he felt about her.
 
“M-Mii-chan, wait!” She could hear him calling her name behind her, but continued moving. She hadn't even realized that she had turned around at all. He continued to call her name and she could easily hear the broken tone in his voice. So, she stopped, turned around, caught sight of his face, and then felt herself slip and falling sideways…Right into the pond!
 
She readied herself for the impact of water upon her body, but the feeling never came. Instead, she felt two warm, lanky arms make their way comfortably around her body…holding onto her tight…and then the warmth, the protection, the arms-they all disappeared. Vanishing in a puff of orangey-brown smoke, yet she never felt the impact of water like she had expected. In those few second on to which Ritsu held her, he had changed her course of direction, making her land on the dry (yet hard) grassy ground.
 
When Ritsu transformed, Mii was temporarily blinded. Once the puff of smoke evaporated though all Mii spotted was a saru. No Ritsu, just saru. But what and adorable saru it was! And Mii had a sneaking suspicion that the saru and Sohma Ritsu were one in the same.
 
“Rii-kun, is that you?” She asked in a very dumbfounded tone.
 
“H-Hai.” Mii hadn't been expecting such an answer, maybe a nod of the head, but not a spoken confirmation. This had left her speechless, not quite knowing what to make of this.
 
Still not thinking coherently, Mii said the only thing that came to mind,” W-well, you make a kawaii saru.” And these words that were uttered with a smile were the best words that came out of Mii's mouth. Words that Ritsu always wanted to hear, the words of acceptance from a very significant person, and the signification person had no prior knowledge of the power behind those words.
 
Before another thing happened there was another cloud of smoke and Ritsu stood in front of Mii…completely naked! Causing a good amount of humiliation; so, once Ritsu had his clothes back on, Mii dragged Ritsu the rest of the way to the cabin, with no chance for words.
 
When Mii opened the door to the cabin she was greeted to and extremely cozy sight. The cabin was decorated in a very homely style. Everything was in natural, neutral colors and the small one room was lighted by a single dim lamp. In one corner there stood a folded aisle and a sketch pad and multiple paintings.
 
Mii looked at the painting and pictures and couldn't believe what she saw…Such amazing pieces of art. Most were paintings and sketches of landscapes, but some were of family members and Tohru-san. As she held and admired each stroke of either paint or lead Mii asked,” Would you mind to-to paint a picture of me?”
 
“Um…No, I wouldn't mind.” He smiled lightly while nodding his head just so.
 
“Is there any type of pose you want me to be in or anything?”
 
“No, you can just do any pose that you want.” He said this all without looking at her, but rater, he was getting all of his art supplies ready.
 
So, deciding that if she were to pick the pose it might as well be a comfortable one. Settling herself upon the large and cushiony sofa. She placed the picnic basket down beside the couch, while she lain across it; draping her arms over the side of the sofa, all the while resting her head upon the side as well.
 
The morning passed quickly, seeping by as Ritsu painted Mii. She thought about mostly random things that popped into her mind. Finally, around noon, Ritsu put down his paintbrush and told Mii that he was finished. She was shocked at first, amazed at how quick he had painted her. The quiet of the room was broken by Ritsu, “W-Would you like to see the picture?”
 
She gasped happily at the thought and replied with a dazzling grin upon her face,” I'd love to see it!” After having sat for such a long time she had to stretch her sore muscles before she was able to slowly get up.
 
Once she was up and moving, Mii looked at the painting of herself and was truly stunned at what she saw. Each stroke seemed to hold some kind of magic. A magic that made the whole picture come alive…She could feel the tears welling up. Letting her emotions go, Mii jumped into an unsuspecting Ritsu's arms; wrapping her arms tightly around his body, only to feel the warmth bodily comfort slip away through a patch of colored smoke. Yet, it did not bother Mii… did not surprise her this time because she was expecting it.
 
“Ha ha, oh, you're so kawaii! Did you know that saru's are my favorite animals? They are so innocent and so playful. This…This curse, or whatever it is, doesn't bother me at all!” Mii had saru Ritsu in a deadly loving hug and each word sprang from her smile curved lips in an ecstatic tone of voice.
 
“How did you guess that I was cursed and…and how can you like someone so worthless and weird like me?” Ritsu had proclaimed these thought aloud in his saru form and while being held in the comforting embrace of Mitsuru.
 
“I like you a lot…I love, even, for you are, Ritsu! And how can you say that you are worthless, look at this painting you did of me. Look! It's so magical and so amazingly beautiful. This new haircut and outfit shows that you have courage…confidence lying deep within you. And, and I need you!” Mii flushed when she realized just how foreword she had been, but Ritsu had awakened a confidence that had lain frozen inside of her. Ritsu had melted the fear surrounding this courage, and when it became water, it spread through her veins.
 
Mii had long ago let go of Ritsu and was then greeted with a small popping like sound, smoke, and a naked Ritsu who soon changed into his clothing. Once fully clothed, Ritsu took Mii's hand in his and started to drag her, which happened to be quite easy for Mii was in shock that Ritsu was doing something such as this, and he swooped down grabbing the picnic basket on his way out of the cabin's front door.
 
He continued to drag Mii until they were in a welcoming spot under a large tree by the pond, “Rii-kun, wha…?”
 
“You just said that you love me, well,” and here he took a deep breathe,” I love you, too. I think I've found my purpose. I was born for you.” His eyes were half opened and he held a tone filled with confidence. Mii did not know what to say, but she had no time to answer anyway.
 
As she leaned her back against the tree trunk, she felt the enclosure of two arms around her. Automatically she felt her eyelids becoming heavy over her eyes as Ritsu began to draw near. He inched closer to her…only stopping once his soft lips were placed over Mii's own soft ones.
 
It was breathtaking, they shared their first kiss together; an idea that is so pure and innocent and which seemed to be transferred into the kiss itself. Making the minds of Ritsu and Mii freeze and float far above any old cloud nine; finally, the need for air over took them and the kiss ended.
 
Now no longer shy around one another. As they were setting up the picnic under the large, shady tree they both had the thought of being a true couple floating around their heads. The rest of the day until sunset was filled with contentment. They had both found their purpose for life in each other.
 
Confidence, comfort, and love found in themselves lead to many kisses being stolen and many pieces of takoyaki being eaten…With a purpose…
 
Hello again! I hope you enjoyed this really long-pretty-much-about- twenty-five pages chapter. I decide to write three different parts to this chapter because they are all pretty much connected. I would have made it all one chapter, but then that would have taken me a long time. So, breaking it up is what I am doing!
 
My friend and I adore Ritsu, so when I thought up this chapter I had to jump all over it! I also think that the Ritsu/Mii pairing is so kawaii and plus, Ritsu seems to be one of the most underrated character of Fruits Basket, so I thought that I would have a chapter solely around him and his love interest. I can't help but love how sweet Rii-chan is! ^.^ Well, I thought I might give you a little preview for the part two of chapter three:
 
Chapter Three: What They Can't See
 
Part Two: Never Nothing
 
All the Sohma's are feeling the effect of no Tohru, and the ever confident Ayame-san is no different. The knowing of something lurking in his mind, but unable to fully understand and remember it makes Ayame-san run to his only confident-Mine. While their love for each other is already known a few other topics pop up ranging from the curse to Yuki. So, what does Mine do to cheer up someone who is usually so full of confidence? Find out next chapter!
 
And there you go! A rather good preview/summary for the next part of chapter three. I hope you have enjoyed! Please tell me in a review. Sayonara. ^____^
 
LilyGinnyBlack
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
1