Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Every Single One ❯ What They Can't See; Part Two: Never Nothing ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three: What They Can't See
Part Two: Never Nothing
 
A/N: Here is chapter three, part two. I'm sorry for the long wait, I just take
an amazingly long time to write. I guess it is just the way I am. This chapter deals more with Mine then with Ayame, but I am still very glad at how this story turned out.
 
~*~
 
Today was another day of work, though she loved going to work, it was such a beautiful day. She wished that she could do something with Ayame that consisted of going outside.
 
But she had to be at work today. Ayame was not going to be himself; his mind was going to notice the missed memories, and he was going to need someone not no one…Something not nothing. She knew this because she had been there…at that place-the Sohma Main House-just the other night.
 
Watched the pain and tears; watched as a girl who always seemed to have the answers become lost; a child that shone with joy tip over the edge and drown in a black pool of despair. It had been a painful site to see, one she wished not to revisit, but was being forced to…
 
-Flashback-
 
It had started like a normal day at the shop. Ayame was blabbering nonsensically like usual. Saying anything to make sure both he and anyone else in the immediate area was able to hear him. After all, her boss loved to hear himself talk.
 
As she dealt with the costumers, she watched Sohma Ayame flutter around the shop in his all to conceded way. The level of confidence he held within himself was both overwhelming and at the same time appealing to Mine.
 
Her thoughts on her boss/boyfriend were cut short as the bell, signaling that a costumer just came in, rang. Looking over in the direction of the door she was expecting one of the usual persons. Instead she was greeted to Hatori walking in. Rarely did he come to the shop, unless it had to do with Akito or the main house, so she figured that was what this visit was about. It was around lunch time when Hatori came and Mine made her presence known, “Konnichiwa, Hatori-san!” in her sweet and hyperactive voice. “I'll get boss right away!”
 
He only nodded telling her that he both heard and understood what she said. As she quickly made her way to the backroom, she found Ayame and told him that Hatori was here. This, in turn, made Ayame flaunt around to the front of the shop.
 
And then there was a loud shout of, “HAA-SAAN!” a insurmountable smile was laid upon Ayame's face, a smile over abundant in confidence. Yet the joyous tone of voice and stunning smile vanished within the instant. The moment that Ayame's face grew grave, Mine knew something was wrong.
 
For rarely was her boss ever serious. She just sat down on the couch opposite of Sohma Hatori-watching and listening to Hatori telling Ayame to close up the shop for a bit, Ayame readily agreeing, and then walking normally over to the front door. Watching as he flipped an Open sign to a Closed one and then he quickly came back-taking his place next to Mine on the couch.
 
“Why did you come here, Hatori? I have a feeling that it is more than just a friendly hello.” Ayame's voice was low and serious.
 
“You're right, Ayame, Akito wants you to come to the Main House right away, and said to bring Mine as well.” Hatori spoke in his seemingly always indifferent voice.
 
Ayame's eyes widened and he automatically responded with, “NO!” And without a second thought, Ayame wrapped his arms around Mine-the one person who gave him something when he had nothing. A moment of felt physical contact and then it was gone. Replaced with a small explosion and a puff of yellow smoke, instead of feeling the warmth of flesh, Mine was rewarded with the cool scales of a snake.
 
Mine was use to this by now, used to feeling Ayame in his snake form, slithering himself around her as if he was giving a hug. Yet he soon let go for he wanted to transform back. Mine turned away from Ayame to give him privacy as there was a small explosion, a puff of yellow smoke, and Ayame was once again human.
 
Hatori's eyes became glazed over for a minute or two as he watched the scene before him. The pain of knowing what it was like to lose the one who seemed to complete your broken soul. “Ayame, the best thing to do, would be to just do as Akito says. After all, Akito leaves you alone most of the time, so obeying the only few times Akito wishes to see you…Is the best that you can do right now.”
 
Mine watched as the two cousins talked to each other. And then she watched the flicker of consideration that flashed through Ayame's eyes. She knew how much Ayame admired Hatori and listened to him, after all, she got this information straight from the source. Yet, even with this admiration she could feel the tension between them. Could feel it curl up her spine as if Ayame was in his snake form and twisting around her skin, only instead of having a feeling of overwhelming happiness…It was a feeling of cold water rushing over her bones…Such an eerie feeling.
 
“I'll go!” The words ran loudly and quickly from Mine's mouth. She was now standing and a look of surprise was playing on her face. She had not realized that she had even thought the words until they were long gone. “Take me to the Main house…I'm going for Ayame, if this will keep him safe…If it will make it so that he and I (or at least he) can be happy, then I'll go.”
 
It was these words that brought both Hatori and Ayame back to their senses. And Ayame's eyes turned to Mine wide and pleading, easily saying “don't go” and “don't do this”, but Mine just held a look of determination. Sighing in defeat Ayame only nodded to tell Hatori that he would go to the Main House and that he understood what Mine said. So then they were off.
 
As they walked outside and closed the door, they packed themselves into Hatori's car. Ayame didn't even think of asking to drive the car like he normally would have, instead he sat in the back with Mine. He sat by the door, with his head resting against the cool glass of the window, and Mine rested her head against his shoulder. They all just wanted to find some peace and comfort to overlap the fear.
 
Mine heard the car star up and they took off; as her head rested on Ayame's shoulder she could feel his arm wrap around her shoulder. This simple gesture made Mine feel stronger and more confident in herself. The car ride was silent and quick, something that they all were expecting. As they pulled up to the Main House, Mine felt Ayame give her shoulder a small squeeze in support, she could lonely smile.
 
She knew it wasn't the right time to think this, but if Ayame was like this more often, than maybe Yuki could actually like Ayame rather than just respect him. She knew that their brotherly relationship was starting to be bridged, but if Ayame behaved more like this, then it could be bridged much quicker.
 
These thoughts were put aside as they got out of the car and made their way to Akito's quarters. They walked down the hallway, stopping at the door at the very end. The silence that surrounded them was quite eerie if Mine was to be honest to herself, yet she did not let it show.
 
They stood there for a second until Hatori spoke to the person inside, “It's Hatori. I've brought both Mine-san and Ayame with me, Akito.”
 
Nothing happened for a second, but then a response was given, although not by Akito, but rather Kureno, “Akito says that only Mine-san is to enter. You and Ayame must leave.” Rather reluctantly Hatori agreed and thus both Ayame and Hatori left. Leaving Mine to face Akito alone.
 
The door slowly opened and the deep red hair of Sohma Kureno became visible. His face held no emotion as he quickly bowed to Mine and walked away down the hall. For a second she just stood there scared. She wasn't quite sure what to do, but when she heard the soft spoken, “Enter.” She easily obeyed.
 
Upon entering the room she quickly and quietly shut the door behind her. The silence lasted even after she had crossed to the center of the dimly lit room and kneeled down upon the large cushion. All of her energy left her, it seemed that the moment she entered the room everything was just drained from her. She kept her hands folded and her eyes downcast… almost too afraid to look up.
 
She hadn't seen Akito get up, but she could hear the soft “thud, thud” of feet walking. Her mind flinched with each step Akito took, until the steps stopped completely. “Look up!”
 
The sharp command made Mine's head automatically snap upward. Her round glasses that had once been on the bridge of her nose were now pushed to the back of her nose from the force of her head movement. This action caused Akito to come into full focus and made Mine's eyes widened in shock.
 
She had heard many tales, many of them not being good, from Ayame, Shigure, and Hatori but yet…Never had she met Akito in person. Just like all the Sohma's Akito had a mysterious and entrancing beauty, but Akito's was shrouded in bleak darkness.
 
“Please to meet you, Akito-san.” She said this all the while looking directly into the head of the family's eyes. Black, the head's eyes were such an inky black, so dark that you could get lost in them. This realization made Mine gasp, which in turn, made Akito glare. Such a hard and sharp glare it was too. “M-may I ask…W-why you c-called for me?”
 
Then something completely unexpected happened…Akito's hand drew back and then came forward with a blaring force; a force that was swept across Mine's pale and soft cheek, which was now stinging and red.
 
Mine's mind went into a panic; she had not known what she did wrong. Her cheek felt numb and she could feel the tears well up in her eyes. She racked her mind for all the things that Ayame had told her about Akito. She remembered that Akito was suppose to be a very sickly person, with a very vicious personality, and throw temper tantrums. Yet, where did such a sickly person gain such strength? Mine asked herself the same question that was asked by multiple others. She dare not ask what she did wrong though.
 
“Do not speak without my authority!” Akito said in such a low and poisonous voice. She wasn't about to speak because she had a feeling that Akito had more to say, “And don't speak as if we are equals! You are the outsider and thus I am the superior.” words spoken with such dark and evil eyes.
 
Mine found that the only response her body and mind was allowing her to give was a nod of the head. “Now, I've heard that you are…in love…with a Sohma, which one?”
 
She didn't know what to do. Should she answer or should she let Akito answer for her? One look at Akito gave Mine the answer to her question. “I…I love Ayame.” Her voice was quiet and her eyes shut tight. Though her voice was soft spoken she knew that Akito had heard every word.
 
“You speak his name so casually. This tells me that your relationship is quite serious.” Her breathing was harsh and her mind was jumbled and she could feel herself becoming light headed. “I'll let this relationship slide…for the moment. But the minute I hear about your relationship going any further…” Akito trailed off.
 
Then, in the matter of a second, Akito was right in her face. “I am also aware of the fact that you know about the curse. So let me tell you this…I am their God, so they belong to me! You take a step toward something like marriage, and I swear that you will be dead. You won't even be able to put the first stitch on your homemade wedding dress. You should be happy though, normally I am not this kind.” Then Akito smiled and began to laugh.
 
Without even thinking, Mine felt her hand smack hard across Akito's face. Her eyes widened and her body froze as realization of what she just did sunk in. “I…I…I…” But Mine was unable to apologize because she knew that the head of the family deserved that slap more than anybody else. Another factor to why she was unable to get out a simple “I'm sorry” was because Akito punched her fiercely in the face.
 
Now Mine lain sprawled on the floor with her glasses off her face, now upon the hard floor, having been thrown off her face from the force of the punch. And a small trickle of blood spilled over the side of her soft lips to drool down the side of her jaw…only to fall and splatter on the floor.
 
Akito took advantage of Mine's shock, “You fight back, making you a person and not a monster like Honda-san. And for that I like you just a slightly bit more than her, so let me show you a warning…”
 
Mine got up and put her glasses back on and wiped the small trickle of blood from her face. The next few moments passes in a blur and were totally lost to her mind.
 
But then she was there; standing in the dark corner of Hatori's office. Watching as almost every member of the Sohma family had their memories of Honda Tohru wiped from their mind. She stood their in shock…feeling the sadness and hearing the choking tears of both Honda Tohru and herself. So this…this is what could happen to her!
 
Would she be strong or would she be weak? It was an internal conflict that she didn't quite know how to face, but then she heard the small confrontation between Tohru and Kyo, and after that she knew the answer. She would be strong.
 
Right before she left the Main House to go home, she was stopped by Hatori. “Let me patch up your face for you.”
 
Still thinking about what she had witnessed earlier; Mine just nodded to say that she head and understood what Hatori was asking. Hatori brought her over to his desk and began to patch her up. “Are you okay, Mine-san?”
 
She was silent and her eyes were glazed over, but she still answered, “I really don't know how I feel…But I know that I'm going to be strong. Just tell me this…I-is Ayame alright?”
 
“Besides the fact that he has just lost quite a bit of his memories, he will be fine, but he may act slightly abnormal for a few days. Once he gets over the feeling of knowing that he has forgotten something but can't remember at all, he will return to normal.”
 
“I see, arigatou.” Hatori finished bandaging her up and so she bowed and left. She left with the thought of never returning to the Main House again.
 
-End Flashback-
 
That had only been the previous night and she was finding that the words Hatori had spoken were true. Ayame was much more quiet and more self-conscious then his usual self.
 
She could hear him walking toward her from the backroom. Figuring that now was the best time to mention this, “Ayame, why don't we just close the shop today? After all you aren't feeling like yourself today and the shop is only opened for half a day on Sunday anyway.”
 
“I agree with you, Mine. But before you leave to go home, do you think that we can talk? I mean, why wouldn't you wan to talk to me?” He asked her in a voice that, to people who didn't know him, would say was loud and confident. Yet, to the people who did know Ayame, he was neither loud nor confident enough. She was telling herself, “He will be back to normal soon.” And that was how she was getting along.
 
While she though this, Ayame had put the Closed sign on the door and was now sitting on the couch. Making her way over to him, Mine kneeled down before him and rested her head upon his knees. “Tell me what's on your mind, Ayame.” She closed her eyes as she felt a comfort come over her.
 
“I feel different, Mine, and I think this change may help bridge the gap between me and Yuki. What do you think?” His voice was calm as he spoke.
 
By the tome of voice, Mine could tell that Ayame was being completely serious. “Well, I think that it is worth a try. Why don't you ask him over here sometime this week?”
 
“I like that idea, Mine. Maybe then I can ask him if he has this same feeling of loosing something, too.” As Ayame said all this, Mine got up and sat next to him, cuddling her body into his arm.
 
As she sat there, curled up next to him, she simply replied, “I think that would do wonders for the both of you. I know…I know that one day you will remember. Just...not now, not yet.” By now tears had started to form in Mine's eyes.
 
Ayame took notice of this only after he felt the wetness of tears seep through the fabric of his man dress. “I think that I'm not the only one that needs to talk. What's on your mind?”
 
The tears were still falling from her eyes, but she paused to think if she should even bother to mention it or not. With a small sigh of defeat she found no way to escape it, “I've been thinking about the curse and…and I'm scared of getting hurt. I know I told myself that I would be strong, but I know that I am still feeling doubt. That doubt...that doubt scares me.”
 
At first Mine thought that maybe Ayame hadn't heard her, for Ayame was not responding. But then she could feel movement next to her and looked towards it to see Ayame pick up a pillow. For a second she did not understand his actions, but then she felt his arms wrap around her. To be held by him was rare, at best, but she loved it more than anything else.
 
A moment later he pulled away from the hug and Mine, not wanting Ayame to leave her yet, wrapped her arms around him. With the pillow still in place she moved in so close to him. Their noses were touching and, taking the next step, Mine forced her lips onto Ayame's. A kiss that held no innocence nor did it hold passion. All it held was an anecdote to the illness that had befallen both of them.
 
As they each deepened the kiss by exploring each and ever corner and crevice of their lovers mouth…They were slowly healing each other. Mine ran her hands through Ayame's long silver hair, her eyes were shut gently. Ayame, meanwhile, also had his eyes shut softly and his arms were settled around Mine's waist. His arms held her tight and yet lovingly at the same time. Finally they broke apart, both breathing heavily and faces slightly flushed from lack of air.
 
Mine quickly got up and headed to the door, grabbing her purse on the way out. She was just about to push the door open and step outside, when she heard his voice behind her, “I really needed that talk and that kiss, Mine. I know you needed it too.”
 
She stopped and slowly turned around. There he was, just starting to stand up from the couch, and he was now making his way toward her. He started to speak, “You know how you said that you would always be there for me…That I would always have something.”
 
“Yes.” The short answer came out softly from her lips, but he heard it none the less.
 
He then started up again, only this time he was right in front of her. Learning closer he whispered in her ear, “The same applies for you, Mine. I'll always be here for you. I'll always remind you that…that there is never nothing.” After he said that he kissed her cheek.
 
Ayame then started to head for the backroom, “You can go home now, Mine, I just need to destroy this awful outfit I made today. Honestly, how could the brilliant and amazing Sohma Ayame ever think that hot pink and orange could ever go together? Awful…Just awful!” He placed a hand to his chest and put a look of utter shame on his face.
 
Yes, the Ayame she knew was slowly coming back. So then maybe, just maybe, things were going to work out in the end.
 
~*~
 
A/N: Okay, there is the end of the chapter! I hoped you enjoyed it. ^^ Thank you for reading this chapter! Now for the preview:
 
Chapter Three: What They Can't See
Part Three: One Day
 
Coming home from work on Sunday, Arisa, passes by the Sohma Main House and hears to maids talking. She catches the name Kureno and, thinking that it has to be the Kureno that she met by the description, goes to investigate. Meanwhile, Akito gets a visit from Shigure, which leads to finding out who exactly planned for having Tohru's memory erased and then Akito and Shigure's relationship goes for another spin through the love/hate cycle.
 
Until next time,
 
~Lily~