Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Every Single One ❯ What They Can't See; Part Three: One Day ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Three: What They Can't See
Part Three: One Day
 
A/N: Okay, here is the last part of chapter three. Sorry for taking so long to update! School has been keeping me busy, which totally sucks! -.- Now, on to the story…
 
~*~
 
 
“See ya tomorrow, boss!” Arisa yelled as she walked out of the sliding doors of the Supermarket that she worked at. She always got out early, and on such a beautiful day, too! It was starting out to be a pretty good day after all.
 
When she woke up in the morning she had found her father to be sober, when she got to work the people were actually being stand-able, and now she was walking out to great weather. The only thing that could make today perfect…would be if she could see him.
 
Arisa may have only met him twice, but she knew that she was in love with him. If she could only meet him one more time, just one more time, she could ask him all the questions that were bugging her mind. But how likely was that? Luck would have to be on her side. But when was it ever? “Luck was on your side that day you met Tohru.” Her mind reminded her.
 
Yes. Luck had been on her side that day and maybe…hopefully, luck would be on her side again today. Wanting to enjoy the day around her, Arisa just began to aimlessly walk around town. She walked with no place as her goal and contentment was fulfilled by soaking in the day that surrounded her.
 
The streets were as busy and crowded as usual. She considered where she lived to be something of a suburb, after all, it was a too city like to be called a country town but it had too much country to be a city. So, her town was stuck in the middle. Everything about Arisa was in the middle. She wasn't poor, but she wasn't rich, she wasn't unknown, but she wasn't abnormally popular. No, she was just in the middle…average…plain.
 
This reason and this reason alone was why she wanted to see him again, Kureno. She knew that her feelings for him not in the middle. Knew that her love for him was most definite and at the very top of any table, chart, or graph. It was for this reason that she was able to spot his name being said over the senseless chatting of passerby, the motion and honks of cars and motorcycles and other land vehicles of transportation, trains, and airplanes. Even with all of that noise she had heard his name be said as clear as day.
 
“That's right; Kureno is in there again, trying to calm Akito-sama down.” Arisa heard a woman behind two large doors say, in a meant-to-be-whisper.
 
“Akito-sama's having another one of his fits again! What is it about this time?” asked another girl from behind the large doors.
 
“I believe it had something to do with Shigure-san…” That was the only response that Arisa heard. The rest was useless and didn't mean a thing to her. The only Shigure she knew was Shigure Sohma, so did that…Did that mean that Kureno was a Sohma as well?
 
Uotani Arisa was not one to think before acting, and so, keeping to this name sake she burst through old, large doors. Not even bothering to look at the nameplate that was purposely placed there; a nameplate that read “Sohma”.
 
~*~
 
Bright. The day was much too bright, too happy,…too beautiful. Days of gloom and rain where ones that should be noted on; not the multiple days of sunshine…Or so Akito thought. Rain. Something as simple as that could wash away the pain and the disappointment. It could make a person forget these things-even if it is only for a mere moment.
 
Sunny days as these made the bleak outlook on life, which Akito held, seem questionable. In the darkness Akito always found comfort. In pain Akito always found pleasure. In love Akito always found hate.
 
Such things were easy to find when you were always in the darkness to find them. Akito's true feelings, emotions, thoughts, and even gender were constantly hidden; known only to a select few.
 
These were the thoughts that haunted Akito's mind; who was lying curled up upon the hard and cold floor. Head only lifting at the sound of footsteps, such light steps they were too, meaning that they belonged to Kureno. Kureno, what to make of him, Akito did not know. After all, it was only the other night that Akito found out that Kureno liked, maybe even loved, an outsider…Hatori was ordered to remove all memories of the girl. But did he?
 
No longer was Akito positive of the control that the God held over the zodiac animals. Ever since Honda Tohru came to know the Sohma family-disobedience was becoming a regular occurrence. So, were all thoughts…all memories of that unknown outsider truly gone? Akito did not know the answer, but hoped that it was yes. Akito needed to Kureno to be a puppet, for if he were not, then Akito would loose him forever. Kureno was the only one that did not have the burden of the curse upon his shoulders nor tugging at his heart. So the bond between animal and God should have been broken oh so long ago. Only saving this bond by keeping Kureno emotionless…loveless…and always by Akito's side. Having been freed from the curse so long ago that was the only way.
 
Kureno was the only older Junnishi that she had complete control over. The other three knew what Akito's weaknesses were and had too much independence to be controlled totally, but they were the only ones that actually cared about the head of the family.
 
Or so, that was how it seemed for the most part, but then there were times. Times when Akito felt utterly betrayed by these three…”Akito, Shigure-nii is here to see you. Do you wish for him to be let in?”
 
At that moment Akito remembered that Kureno had entered the room. Not having really listened to what Kureno had said, Akito agreed to let Shigure enter the room.
 
The door slid open and then closed, the sound of heavy footsteps could be heard, and then they stopped…right in front of Akito. “It's a pleasure to see you Akito…” Even without looking at him Akito could the smirk that was on his face. Sickening…
 
“Go! I hate you! Leave!” The words came out harsh, desperate, and in the tone of voice that Akito was very rarely able to use…a feminine tone.
 
Akito could hear Shigure kneel down and wrap his arms around Akito's fragile body. “Aw…Don't say things that you don't mean Akito. After all…I know you love me, just as I love you.” At this point Akito went limb and eyes glazed over. Taking advantage of this Shigure embraced Akito and placed a tantalizing kiss upon Akito's lips.
 
But Akito then snapped out of the trance that Shigure had put the head of the family in. “No! You don't love me! You're just some twisted man-whore bastard! So…So just stay away!”
 
This outburst made Shigure's eyebrows fly up in intrigue. “Yet, Akito, you and I are exactly the same. We're both twisted, both bastards, both whore's (in the sense), both selfish…Using and abusing to get what we want…And we both have schemes up our sleeves. We both hate each other…and yet, we both love each other. It may not seem like it, but I do love you, I love you just as much as I did when you were that small…innocent…girl…”
 
Akito's eyes widened and in a dangerously low voice she asked, “Why are you being so kind? You haven't acted like this in a very long time? So why now?”
 
Shigure didn't answer Akito's question right away. Instead he began to kiss her neck and nibble on her ears making the twenty-three-year old moan and gasp on pleasure. Akito could feel her eyes beginning to close as these emotions swept over her. She could feel herself becoming lost in the feel of Shigure's hands and kisses upon her body… With every gasp and moan… Every time Shigure caught her lips in his and explored any and all corner and crevice of Akito's mouth; she found herself becoming more lost in the passion and at the same time more angered.
 
Finally, Akito could no longer take it, and broke away from Shigure's grasp. She quickly backed away from him and fixed the wrappings around her breasts (making sure that each bandage was tight and back in place); she then fixed her kimono so that she looked presentable. “Please…No more. Please…Please stop manipulating me like this. Stop screwing around with my feelings…Stop giving me unwanted emotions and taking away the emotions that I do want.”
 

“But Akito, I'm doing nothing; all of those emotions are your own doing. It is you that loves me and it is you that hates me.” Shigure said all of this plainly with just the usual selfish I-know-something-that-you-don't-smile on his face.
 
“No. I'm sick of you manipulating me and I'm sick of that bitch that I have to call a mother manipulating me. Your love for me can be explained by the flowers you gave me. When I had been younger you gave me the most beautiful flower and you told me with a genuine smile that you loved me. But…Now…” Akito broke down into tears that were extremely unwanted.
 
“Now all that I gave you was a paper flower, a smirk, and a rather cold, `I love you'…Right? Oh, and you were right…I'm not being nice to you for no reason at all, Hatori told me I should be nicer to you…” At first Akito thought that Shigure was going to say more on this, but then he let his voice fade. He just turned his head slightly to look at Akito's futon, which had a small and low table next to it, and on the top of that table was the infamous paper flower. “You said that you liked the real flower better, and yet, you kept this one. After all, you must have realized that a paper flower can outlast a real flower any day.”
 
“You didn't come here for just that, though, did you?” Akito had a feeling that she knew why he was tormenting her with his presence. “You feel as if you've forgotten some things, right?”
 
By now they were both sitting across from each other on the hard wooden floor. In response to what Akito had said, Shigure laughed and spoke in a meant-to-be-disappointed-tone,” I had a feeling you knew all along. I also had a feeling that you would know exactly what I am missing, but…with how things went today…I'm not going to be getting anything from you. I think I'll leave you alone for the rest of the day.”
 
With this said Shigure got up, but instead of heading out toward the door, he walked off into Akito's medium sized garden. Akito just continued to stay seated in the darkness of the cool room. She was eagerly waiting for Shigure to leave her sight. Yet, when he came back, standing right, outside on the small porch, and asked for her to come over. Like a dog obeying its master…She stood right in front of him. “Don't doubt my feelings for you, Akito. I really do love you.” His voice was so soft and gentle and his smile was so sweet. He leaned up close to her and placed an innocent kiss upon her forehead; he also placed something in Akito's shocked hands.
 
She just stood there frozen, listening to his footsteps as he slowly walked away from her. The sound of his footsteps were getting farther and farther away; it wasn't until this point that Akito unfroze and looked down at the object in her hand…A flower…He had given her a blood-red flower…just like all those years ago. Those times when she had been and innocent little girl who smiled and laughed, tried to be serious and yet always sounded silly, wore pink and white dresses, who fell down when trying to learn ice skating, got ice cream on her face, and…a tiny child who only saw things…as simple and clean.
 
Her hand clenched tightly on the flower, not out of anger, but out of fear. She didn't want to loose it…She didn't want to let go of it…Of the memories it brought back to her. “Wait! Shigure…wait. I'll…I'll give you a small hint about the memories that you've lost.”
 
“Will you now! This is very out of character for you, Akito.” Shigure said with his smirk in place.
 
“I know that this isn't like me, but…I also know that I am moving exactly to your whims…And yet, I'll tell you. You've had your memories of a girl erased; all of you have, except Hatori. Before you had your memories erased you thought up this little scheme, plan, or whatever you want to call it. The only reason you had given me was that it would give me back my power…” She then fell silent and sat back down. Her back was to Shigure the whole time, not wanting nor having any interest in seeing his face.
 
“Ah, so I came up with this little scheme. Let me ask you something…Why did you accept this plan of mine? The only reason I can think is that you did not like this girl all that much.” Akito remained silent, not wanting to think about, let alone answer, the question that Shigure presented her with.
 
“Well, all of my schemes always have only one goal…and that's to break the curse. To be free and that's why agreed to my plan. You want to be free, too, Akito.” He had said it so nonchalantly…so certainly.
 
Shigure didn't pressure Akito to answer; instead he walked over to the futon and sat down. The only reason Shigure was letting Akito be was to let what was just said sink in, or so that is what she came up with.
 
With the combination of what had been heard and having the time to think these words over…She was easily falling back to Saturday morning…
 
-Flashback-
 
The day was a cloudy one, or this far, it was anyway. It may have only been eight in the morning, but Akito could feel that it was going to be a wonderful overcast day. She could also feel that something of great importance was going to be happening on that day. It is quite amazing how accurate a person's natural instincts can be.
 
Yet Akito's peaceful moment of thought was interrupted. The one who interrupted her was none other than Shigure. “What do you want?” She asked in a voice that can only be described as distasteful.
 
“I didn't come here to supply you with any pleasure, Akito. Rather, I came to discuss a little…plan with you.” He explained it all quite simply, not even looking at her, but rather he was examining the walls.
 
“What kind of plan?” Her hate for Shigure was put to the side as this idea for a plan intrigued her greatly.
 
“A plan to get rid of Honda Tohru and in cage all of your little zodiac animals. All you have to do…is order Hatori to erase all of the 12 shi's memories, yes, even mine.” He added the last part because of the look Akito had given him.
 
“Is there anything else that I should be aware of concerning this plan, any loopholes?” Akito asked-still feeling slightly suspicious of the whole thing.
 
“Nope. That's all you need to know. Trust me, the plan will work itself out in the end.” Shigure said it with a straight face, directly at Akito, and yet…And yet…
 
-End Flashback-
 
“You bastard!” the words just sprang from Akito's mouth as she was dragged back to the present.
 
Shigure did not look surprised or hurt; he just looked at her rather innocently. “I assume that that comment was directed at me. But…I don't get it. Didn't we already go over this? What have I done now?”
 
“You lied to me! You lied right to my face!” The words were released from Akito's mouth in a venomous tone.
 
“When?” asked an extremely confused Sohma Shigure.
 
“You really are a bastard! You lie to me and then you had your memories erased so you could get away with not knowing. I hate how you're so sneaky and selfish! I hate it!” Her throat was beginning to feel dry and scratchy from all the yelling she had done that day.
 
“I believe that I really should be going now. It seems as if my lovely little master is quite fed up with me.” And so Shigure made his way to the open door. He was outside the door when he let slip, in a voice that was rather soft but loud enough for Akito to hear, “You may be like a porcelain doll, but you're my porcelain doll, no one else's.” Then, he closed the door after him.
 
The rage that was flowing through Akito's mind…body…soul…blood…Was indescribable. She was beyond any anger that she ever felt before. Not knowing what to do, she picked up the plate, which had once held her lunch, and flung it blindly; feeling the anger slip away from her when she heard the smashing of the porcelain object's impact upon some part of the room.
 
The anger had melted away only to be left with a betrayed pain. She knew better than anyone else what Shigure's true personality…true nature was like. She knew that he was the type of person to go to any means necessary to get what he wanted. But, every time he came over, she hoped…She hoped…And then the tears began pouring down her cheeks. The salty water escaped her eyes, slowly slid down her pale cheeks, and landed on the red flower.
 
A beautiful blood red flower that she clutched in her hands; an object that was suppose to represent the love they shared…Yet was soaked in the tears of hate.
 
Even though Akito would never admit it to anyone other than herself…At times, such as these, she really did wish that the curse could be lifted. That she was not any god or goddess or whatever the hell they called her. At times, she wished that she could be a normal girl, who didn't have to hide behind the guise of a man. At times she did wish that she could be free…
 
Free from this indirect curse that had been placed upon her. Right then…Right at that moment…All that she wanted…All that she wanted was…
 
Her father.
 
~*~
 
She burst through the two heavy front doors, which in turn, made the two maids who had just been talking seconds' ago-jump. They both screamed due to the violent entrance and invasion of privacy by one Uotani Arisa. This shock also made their bodies go into the fight or flight mode, both bodies choosing flight. Yet, one of the maids got caught by Arisa none the less, and Arisa (rather rudely) asked, “Where is he? Where is this Akito? Tell me!”
 
The maid was completely scatter brained, this Arisa could tell. Yet, at that moment, she really could care less because she was desperate to see Kureno again. She was about to ask the rattle young girl again, but heard a familiar voice speak up behind her, “Ah! Who is this young lady that is looking for Kureno?” Arisa only thought that he was fooling with her, with the whole notation of not knowing who she was, because he seemed as if he was the type to do something like that.
 
She really didn't feel like playing his little game, so she just repeated the question that she had asked the maid, and Shigure didn't even answer the question at first. “Akito went and called for Kureno right after I left…” Arisa saw his face become amazingly serious and his eyes were like dark, black pools…She never remembered ever seeing him like that before, “Akito's quarters are right behind me, and Akito's room is all the way down the end of the hallway to the left. But if I were you…I wouldn't listen nor would I enter…You never know what you might come across.”
 
With that being said the twenty-nine-year old Sohma left the Hoke leaving Arisa alone (for the maid had left the moment Arisa's attention was on Shigure). Keeping in mind what the dark haired Sohma had told her, Uotani made her way to Akito's quarters. As she walked into the building, she could hear her footsteps echoing all around her.
 
The whole place was giving her the creeps. Yet, she kept her walking steady and let her mind wander to the fact that Kureno was indeed a Sohma. She should have realized that any good looking male, with out of place physical attributes, and an odd personality could only equal a Sohma.
 
So did that mean that Tohru knew Kureno? Had she meet him a long time ago or just recently? The questions continued to flow out, but the resounding of questions in her head was silenced by two voices; one male, one female and one that she knew, one that she didn't. The voices were low, almost like soft murmurs, and they were coming from that Akito person's door.
 
Akito…Now that she thought about it, she could have sworn that she had heard the name before. Tohru had brought the name up once or twice when she and Hana had been talking to her before. That was right, Akito was the head of the Sohma family, and that was the only bit of information that Tohru had been willing to share with them.
 
Ever since then Uotani had a feeling that something was up with the Sohma's. There was a loud “BAM” as something seemed to have collided with the door. Arisa, being so close, could see the small bits of broken glass. Her eyes widened slightly in shock, is she ever thought that she had temper problems…she would no longer think it.
 
Putting her fear aside, Uotani softly rested her head against the sliding door, concentrating only on what was being said between the two people inside. And so, she listened:
 
“Please, hold me Kureno and never let him enter my quarters again.” That must have been Akito them-or so, that was what Arisa's mind came to the conclusion of…but she had always assumed that Akito was male.
 
“I don't have that kind of control, Akito-san. If I did…I would, but I'm afraid that I don't.” Here Arisa noticed that Kureno's voice sounded rather…different. Not in the actual sound, but more so in the tone. His tone was that of someone with something heavy on his mind.
 
“Promise me that you'll never leave my side. That you will continue to be faithful to me…That you will always hold me like this. Promise me, Kureno.” The sound of Akito's voice was dark and desperate at the same time. In a way, it reminded Arisa of a spoiled child, and she felt a building up of anger towards this person. What right did they have to demand such a thing…Making it sound as if Arisa-herself-didn't even exist.
 
Yet, that anger was smashed to bits the second that she heard Kureno respond, “I…I promise, Akito-san.” She sat there stunned…shocked…whatever you would like to call it. Her heart had just been broken, no, torn to bits. Did this mean that Kureno hadn't said that he loved her that time they had gotten lunch together? Did that mean that Kureno loved this Akito person?
 
Her mind was all a mess. Just being a jumble of thoughts and emotions. She left no room for reason or logic and was going to just barge right through the flimsy sliding door, once again acting before thinking, but then…
 
“Why do you sound so unsure of yourself lately, Kureno?” This question put a rest to Arisa's anger and jealousy. It gave her heart a little hope to dwell on.
 
“There is this girl…This girl that I have almost completely forgotten about; the only things that I can remember about her are her smile and the fact that she liked it when I smiled.” Arisa gasped. That was her! But then…Then why did he say that he had almost completely forgotten about her? Had she annoyed him that much? So much that he suppressed any and all memories of her save for those two. What was going on here?
 
Her mind was so lost in itself that she had not heard Akito tell Kureno to leave and get Hatori. No, she had not, but she did hear the footsteps approaching her.
 
Realizing that she had already over stayed her not-even-a-welcome welcome, she got up as quietly as she could and quickly left Akito's quarters. Her mind was beyond confusion as she walked out of the building that held Akito and Kureno. She knew that something was up with the Sohma family, it wasn't just odd electrical waves…No, it was something deeper…What? Arisa wasn't sure at all. But she knew one thing; she wasn't talking to Kureno until she found out.
 
As Arisa pushed open the large Hoke doors, she wondered just how much Tohru knew about the Sohma's, and tomorrow at school, she was going to ask. She walked onto the sidewalk right outside of the Sohma Main House and heard a small alarm going off.
 
At first she was perplexed as to where the noise was coming from, but then she realized that it was coming from her watch! Had she been in the Sohma estate that long?
 
“Oh, no! I'm gonna be late! I totally forgot about my other job!” She groaned as she looked down at the time and took off down the sidewalk, she had a long way to run, her work just happened to be all the way on the other side of town.
 
~One day. One day all the secrets that had once laid hidden in the dark were going to be forced into the light. One day soon.~
 
A/N: There you go! ^.^ The final installment of chapter three is complete and I hope you all enjoyed it. In the end, there was more Akito/Shigure then Arisa/Kureno, but I just got on a role and went with it. I guess it doesn't help that I couldn't wait to write that scene between those two, I love their love/hate relationship and I also happen to find the manga version of Akito more interesting then the anime version…because in the manga you get more background information and more depth.
 
Oh, and I believe that I have the right ages for Akito and Shigure because it is three years down the road from the start of the anime in which Shigure was twenty-seven and Akito was twenty. A Hoke, I believe, is the Japanese word for a family estate, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, now for the preview:
 
Chapter Five: Last Day
 
Just what was that Saturday afternoon like for Tohru, Kyo, Yuki, and the rest of the younger Sohma's? This chapter will be a full flashback and will be filled with humor, fluff, angst, and anything else you can think of. See how each individual handled the news and how they enjoyed their last moment's together, making memories that would all too soon, be forgotten.
 
I hope you found that preview to your liking. Until chapter five! =)
 
~Lily~