Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Every Single One ❯ Epilogue: Precious to Me ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Epilogue: Precious to Me
 
A/N: Hello everyone, this is it, the last chapter-the epilogue. I have a feeling that some of you are expecting some form of a wedding, but, nope, I make mention of it, but don't actually write any parts of it out. The wedding, though, will be in my companion piece, which will be called It's Our Secret. It will be just a bunch of short one-shots that all deal with this story somehow, basically, things I would have liked to add in, but the plot wouldn't allow. They will be of the more humorous genre than this story was. Anyway, thank you to all of my reviewers, you all mean everything to me when it comes to my fanfic. If it wasn't for you guys then, I don't think I would have finished this story. Now, after this extremely long author's note, on to the last chapter!
 
(-)-(-)
 
It's been years, since that day. Since, I realized-truly-those words Momiji spoke to me. I had said, that I wanted to keep all my memories, but, I hadn't imagined how hard that promise could be, not until…not until I had the chance to loose them…and then, regain them. In that moment, I never wanted my mind to forget a single second.
 
My hands flip through the pages of pictures. They are of mine and Kyo's wedding, an event, which happened ten-years ago. I wonder if we would have gotten so far in our relationship if the Sohma's hadn't lost their memories.
 
It's ironic…so ironic that…
 
My eyes pause to look at the still imagine of Momiji; happy, but he has yet to talk to his mother, I know he never will, she is dead to him-that muse rips my heart in two. His sister, on the other hand, thinks of him as a great big brother, though, she doesn't know about the past. Momiji, I believe, will never tell them. He has memories now, of being a big brother to Momo, and that is all he needs…not un-forgeable memories of a past that could have been.
 
Kagura's content, as well, she finished college long ago and no longer pawns over Kyo. She gave up, right after she was freed from the curse, no longer did she have that bond to connect her and Kyo. I can easily recall on that day, my wedding day, when she congratulated the two of us. I could see the burden as it fell off her shoulders; the strain of a selfish love, wiped clear from her eyes. Now single; work seems more than enough for her. The desire to love another has yet to ever enter her mind again, I know, for she told me so.
 
The sound of the heavy paper as it moves bombards my ears, the world around me lost to my mind, a need to be lost in my nostalgic memories overpower any sense. It is because of this that I was unaware of Kyo's presence there, as he came to my side, to look at those wonderful pictures with me. His hand rests on my shoulder, a small gasp is uttered from my lips, and I smile up at him. Perfect.
 
“Hey, Kyo, look at this picture.” A smile is also alight on his face as he examines the photograph.
 
He lets out a small laugh, “That was the first time anyone of us saw Akito in a woman's kimono.” And, just as Kyo stated, the picture showed Akito in a light blue kimono, with white and cherry blossom petals as its design; the obi was of a deep blue, as well. The story behind how they (Shigure, Ayame, and Hatori) got Akito into a dress was beyond the knowledge of me and Kyo. Nevertheless, that was not the last time Akito wore a woman's kimono, no, after that, bright and beautiful colors were a common on her body, as Shigure, selflessly, helped her understand her new position-I sighed thinking of how lovely Akito had looked at her own wedding. Her hair was long and flowing by then, left down with just simple flowers laced through, and her face held a glow; something that was never there before. At the present, Shigure and Akito were the head of the Sohma family, both nobler than they had once been, and loving parents.
 
“You must be tired standing up, come, sit beside me, Kyo.” The words dance off my tongue and are greeted by Kyo's warmth upon my body, his hand interlaces with my own. Every time…
 
On the page was Hiro and Kisa, both so young, and with light blushes on their faces. It amazed me when I thought of the adolescent couple, how much they reminded me of Kyo and my own relationship. They are currently dating, with Kisa at the age of twenty-three and Hiro at twenty-two, neither is ready to get married yet, I find the whole ordeal to be extremely cute.
 
I hear Kyo give a short, and almost silent, laugh and look at him with question-filled eyes. “It's funny, ya know, our daughters the same age Hiro was when he first met you. Saying that makes me feel old.”
 
“We are not thirty yet, Kyo. We are still twenty-eight.” Another giggle escapes from my mouth. That was right; I had gotten pregnant that night, the night before graduation. It hadn't mattered then, though, since we had gotten married within two months of Kyo's proposal. Nevertheless, I treasure the recollection of that night, more than any other. Together, forever…forever…
 
As those words float through my head, I can't help but hope for them to remain true, not only for me, but for Uo-chan and Hana-chan too. Both have found love-Uo with Kureno and Hana with Kazuma (this, technically, makes her my mother-in-law…but I always forget that small fact)-and they both have wonderful families. It's amazing; when I think of that.
 
It's glorious when I come to the conclusion that everyone can find peace, if they try, that even Ritsu (who was once a cross-dresser) was able to gain self-confidence and begin to start a family of his own. One were the words, “I'm sorry,” won't be spoken nearly as much as they were in his childhood. It's a wonder how he, also, gave Mii confidence along with himself, yes, anything can be accomplished-if one only tries. Like forgiveness…
 
Kyo and I scan the photos, sometimes laughing and sometimes only giving a smile, the frozen bits of life and time pass us by so quickly, as my fingers push the thick page over. Hatori and Mayu, both felt guilt over Kana, both found forgiveness in each other. A happy ending for the two of them, and Mayu's mother and father are ecstatic, since they are expecting their first child-a boy. Those two, they took things slow, unlike another couple.
 
Mayu and Hatori were completely different from Haru and Rin, who got married as soon as Haru was done with school, and, even though Haru is in his twenties and Rin is thirty, they still act like teenagers; every day, so fresh and new, every day, so young and unexplored. Mine and Kyo's relationship can be like that-at times-but, then I remember how…Kyo and I, we weren't your average teenagers. We always blushed and we were both so naïve, so innocent…It's an amazement that we've made it as far as we have. And, while Haru and Rin still act young, so do Ayame and Mine.
 
They have children-yes, they live together-yes, they are married-no, and I don't think they ever plan on it. Both are too outgoing and free to ever get tangled up in marriage, but, I love the idea of a family being different-so modern-so liberated. It's quite refreshing to think of them at times. I think all of this as my eyes catch the flamboyant image of Ayame and Mine, at our wedding day, Ayame in one of his `man dresses' and Mine in a suit and tie, just like them to be opposite. I smile, Kyo tells me to hurry and turn the page, not wanting to look at Ayame a second longer.
 
He sounds like Yuki, right then, he does. And, while Yuki and Ayame's bond has only strengthened, after all, there is now a bridge connecting the two gaps, Yuki can only take Ayame in strides. No more, no less. But, Machi…Yuki needs Machi, just as much as Machi needs Yuki. I accepted this a long time ago, when I came to the conclusion that Yuki needed to heal Machi in order to heal himself. The scars that were left on them by their mother's may never fully disappear, however…Machi didn't let that stop her from being an excellent mother to her own children.
 
Children. Time flew by; I can recall when I was a child…something that my mother said would help me meet up half-way with my kids, and it has helped, greatly. “Tohru, you have a visitor.” I hear Kyo's voice beside me.
 
“Eh?” My eyes hold confusion and surprise; I know they do, “What do you mean, Kyo?”
 
A grin is set firmly on his face, “Look down.”
 
I turn my head to one side, still not fully comprehending his words, but look downward nevertheless; only to find our youngest child next to the table we had the photo album place upon. Our youngest is a girl and her name is Sohma Takara, her hair-my medium brown color, with natural orange tints running through it-and brown eyes, the maroon of Kyo's only showing around her pupils. Her skin, though it is tanned, is not as dark her father's and her nose is small and dimple-my nose-his smile; a perfect blend of Kyo and I that was why we named her Takara-precious object. She is still small, only three-years-old, but her eyes have a glint of intelligence in them, I can only wonder where that came from.
 
My eyes soften at the silent sentence.
 
“Momma, what are you and daddy looking at?” The curiosity of a child, so beautiful and so mystical, yet, can be quite the pain for their parents when it comes to some answers. At first, I had no idea what to tell her, and I wasn't about to lie and say that we were looking at nothing-lying to Takara will not do her any good. I sigh.
 
Kyo caught on to my slight dilemma and walked over and lifted Takara off of the ground, swirled her around, and then placed her down again only to attack her with tickles. He understood that I needed only one minute. Takara's laughter rings pleasantly through my ears, only one minute to gather my contemplations.
 
What am I looking at, when I glance over these pictures? Am I looking at a tragedy that became a miracle-my mother's death-am I looking at a curse that became a blessing-the Zodiac curse-or am I looking at formerly forgotten memories that are now imprinted reminiscences? For, without any of these, this single moment would not even be in motion. In that instant, the answer came to me, and, as I watched Kyo make our small Takara giggle and squirm out of childish excitement, all I could say was, “Precious.”
 
Both Kyo and our daughter stopped their silly game, “What did you say momma?” Her large eyes are looking up at me.
 
“I said the answer to your question, Takara, we were looking at all the things we found precious in our lives. That's right; all of those snapshots are of mere seconds that no one wishes to forget. All of those pages hold an item, a thought, an image-that is precious to me.”
 
Now, I can truly understand that promise that I made, and those words Momiji spoke, all those years ago…
 
(-)-(-)
 
Well, that's the end of it all. I can't believe it, this is the first novel length fanfic I have ever completed and I feel so proud of myself. Please, tell me what you think of this chapter and/or what you thought of the whole story in general. Thank you all so very much, once again, and look out for It's Our Secret. :P Take care. Ja ne. : )
 
-LilyGinnyBlack-