Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Fruits Basket ❯ Chapter 4 Kyo I'm Sorry ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fruits Basket
a fan fic by: Lindsey Huff



Chapter 4: Kyo, I'm Sorry!


When we were about half way down the path that led to the house, Kyo came running up. He was panting when he stopped in front of us, he'd run all the way to meet us. Finally he stood and looked from Yuki, to me, to Shigure, and then back to me. I had my arms draped around both Yuki's and Shigure's shoulders for support. My head hurt so much after my meeting with Akito, that everything spinned and I couldn't walk straight, so they offered themselves as support. Standing there, I noticed that Kyo's eyes were filled with anger and maybe concern. He looked outraged at me, but the expression on his face gave away the concern part. I dropped my arms from Yuki and Shigure. They both looked at me.
"I'll be fine, just please, I need to talk to Kyo," I said trying not to loose my balance.
They looked at each other and then back to me. After a long pause they nodded and headed down the path to the house. Now I stood alone with Kyo.
"He hurt you any way didn't he?" Kyo asked when Yuki and Shigure left.
"Uh, he didn't hit me or anything," I said, it was partical truth.
"But he did something, otherwise your face wouldn't be so pale," Kyo insisted.
"He pulled my hair a little, but I'm fine really Kyo! I just have a question..." I said and then looked down at the ground. "What does being in love have to do with you having to leave?"
"Uh.....well it's......." he stuttered and I looked up at him. Kyo was blushing! "It's not that.....I'm in love.....it's who I'm in love with."
I blinked still not understanding why he had to leave Shigure's house. There was almost no one around that he could possibly fall in love with. It seemed pretty clear to me that he didn't like Uo or Hana that way, specially since he always fought with them. So I knew it wasn't them and Kyo said he didn't like Kagura. Yuki and Shigure were both guys and that would be weird, so it defentatly wasn't them. I stood there stupidly trying to figure out who he could be talking about, when Kyo grabbed my wrist and caused me to look at him.
"Damn don't be stupid Tohru! Who else is around?!" he shouted as if reading my thoughts.
I thought again looking baffled and then blushed at my own stupidity. "Um...." I stuttered.
Kyo's face turned completely red and he dropped my wrist and turned away from me. "Nevermind, forget it. Let's just go home," he said and started back.
I followed after him, still embrassed about how stupid I felt. If we were having a moment, I really messed it up when I made myself look stupid. Kyo marched straight upstairs when we got back. He didn't bother saying anything and he didn't come down for dinner. I still felt bad for what I had done earlier so I stood from the table once everyone was finished and went upstairs. I climbed onto the latter, which had been propped up the side of the house. Kyo usually sat on the roof to think, when I looked over the ledge, he was there as usual. His hands were behind his head and he laid looking up at the nighttime sky. I climbed up and went over to sit by him.
"Kyo, I'm sorry about earlier," I said apologetically.
He looked over at me and then sat up, draping his hands over his knees. "Why are you apologizing?" he questioned.
"I think I upset you with how stupid I was being and I'm sorry if I did, I really don't want you to be upset Kyo, I just..." I started but stopped when I saw the look on his face. It was a soft, sad look. His face still had a little red in it, and I think he was blushing slightly, though I didn't understand why.
"I said it's fine, ok? Don't worry about it," he said.
"Kyo, I still don't understand why you have to leave," I told him, ashamed of myself.
"Tohru," Kyo replied.
"What?" I asked.
"Tohru," he repeated. "That's why I have to leave." Then he looked away from me again, hiding his face.
"Tohru..." I repeated and thought about what he just said. In fact I took a minute to think about what everyone had said that day. Akito had said he asked if Kyo was in love and Kyo said yes. Kyo said earlier that it wasn't that he was in love, it was who he was in love with, that was causing to him leave. Now he was saying my name. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks and I blushed and looked at him. "Kyo you don't mean...?"
"Yeah....I know I shouldn't," he said and then looked at me with dreamy eyes, "..but I couldn't help myself."
I felt myself leaning towards Kyo and I knew exactly why too. Just as we got in breaths touch from each other, someone called my name and I turned my head an instant before we touched. I looked down and saw Shigure standing outside, looking up at us.
"Tohru, could you help me with something?" he asked.
I looked at Kyo and smiled. "Sorry Kyo," I said and went to the latter and climbed down.
The next morning I was outside, trying to hang up some laundry that needed to be dried, when Kyo appeared. I stopped and looked up at him. He blushed and looked down. "Look, I'm sorry about last night..." he said.
"Huh?" I questioned puzzled.
"About, you know, what almost happened..." Kyo said his face turning reder.
"Would you have transformed?" I asked curiously.
He looked at me with a puzzled look. "I actually don't know," he admitted.
"Ok," I said and hung up the piece of clothing I had in my hand.
"I'm not really sorry," Kyo said and I stopped and looked at him.
"Huh?" I questioned confused.
"I wanted to...you know," he replied.
"Huh?" I repeated.
"I wanted to kiss you last night," Kyo admitted and I dropped the clothes pin I was holding and stared at him.
"...Oh...." I said blushing and couldn't stop myself from staring wide eyed at him.
"I just thought I'd apologize for being rash, but I don't mean it," Kyo said and made a turn to walk away.
"Kyo!" I called after him and grabbed his wrist when he tried to turn away.
He stopped and slowly turned to me. Before I could stop myself, I was leaning towards him again, carefull not to touch his body. I closed my eyes and blushed as I touched Kyo's lips. I felt his expression, it was surprised. I half expected to feel nothing after that, to open my eyes and see a cat on the ground. Instead I felt him respond and kiss back. I almost fell backwards in surprise, but stood my ground. Then I did stumble a moment later, but instead of falling backwards, I fell against Kyo. He caught me, we were still lip locked and then he let go and embraced me. I knew he'd turn into a cat when he did this, and as soon as he embraced me. He didn't though, not as soon as he closed the embrace, after about what seemed five minutes or so there was an orange poof and Kyo stood on the ground in cat form. I sank to my knees and looked at him.
"It took you longer to change," I said.
"I know," he answered.
"Why?" I asked.
"I don't know," he replied.
"Oh, that's strange," I muttered and made a mental note to ask Shigure.
Kyo turned and headed back towards the door.
"Where are you going?" I called to him.
"Inside! I'm not transforming back outside, where others can see me!" he called as he ran into the house.
"Others?" I questioned and heard a noise behind me.
I stood to see Yuki standing with Uo and Hanajima now, they had just rounded the corner when I looked over. Yuki's expression was his confused look. He gazed down at Kyo's clothes and I quickly threw them into the heap of laundry and got to my feet.
"I'm sorry, I dropped them," I said laughing.
Yuki nodded and then left me to my two friends.