Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ It's Our Secret ❯ Stay Together ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shot Two: Stay Together
 
A/N: First off, I'd like to say Happy Mother's Day to any mother's out there that might be reading this. Second, this chapter is dedicated to my mother, I don't have any money (since I don't have a job yet), so I couldn't get anything for her, but I wrote this and thought of her. She read it and liked it a lot; I just hope it's a good enough present for her. Anyway, thanks to all who read and any who reviewed, it means a whole lot; now, onto the story. : )
 
-*-
 
He hadn't been here in ages. The last time…the last time, he was just a small boy who couldn't control his temper and seemed to only know the words, “It's not my fault.” But, now…now he wasn't like that anymore. He was a grown man, mature and with a family of his own. Yes, this would be the first time he would come to his mother's grave with the notion of what it meant to be a parent. While he wasn't a mother; he was a father and that meant that he could understand what his mother went through, even if it was only a little bit. A little bit was better than none.
 
He kneeled there, and he thought of his family. Of his Tohru, who (he could imagine) was knelt just like he was in front of her mother's grave. She had told him of how she wished to visit her mother by herself, said that her and her mother had a lot to catch up on, and that she had to apologize for some of the craziness she surely must have put her mother through as a child. People say that happens, adults tell their children all the time that they would one day understand what it truly meant to be a parent, when you had a child of your own.
 
Shishio told him that once…but his mother never did.
 
It was a year or so after they had gotten married; Kyo now had a one-year old son, who he loved dearly. Did his mother ever treasure him? Did his mother ever protect him? Did his mother ever love him? He asked himself these questions, and asked the gravestone in front of him those questions, too, but no answer was received.
 
Kyo couldn't help but be amazed. No matter how many questions he could think up and ask, and no matter how many empty whistles of the wind he was given in return, he still found comfort by the mere thought of his mother. Her presence still lingered around the grass and dirt that surrounded the cemented and upturned block, which labeled this spot as a grave. He could sense the warmth of her embraces and still see her empty smiles. Maybe…
 
Maybe she died to save him. Save him from a failure of a mother. What if she knew that she could never be the mother he needed, so, she died and tried to rid him of her person? What if…that made her a beautiful mother in return?
 
All those years ago he had told Tohru how all he wanted was for a person to say, “I want us to stay together,” how he longed for those words to have left from his mother's lips. Yet, though the words never came, could she have still told him that she wanted, mother and son, to stay together?
 
After all, no matter how many years passed since her death. No matter how many nightmares and tears, no matter how many shouts and cries, and no matter how many wishes for those images of his mother to leave him alone. They never did. They stayed with him, they still do. They lay stored in some dark and hidden part of his mind. And, somehow, his mother did say, “I want us to stay together.”
 
And so, as Kyo moved from his position on the ground. Tears slipped down his checks and glided to the earth below, each salty drop nurtured the soil that surrounded his mother's body. The tears were not of sadness or anger or pain, they were of happiness and forgiveness. He could finally forgive his mother; could finally forgive her death. And, as he got up and walked away, back to the dreary site, he could only think…
 
“I hope Tohru's even just half the mother she was.”
 
-*-
 
A/N: Well, there you go another one-shot done and done. This one isn't as long as the other one was, but, I think it's as long as it should be. I'm overly pleased with how it came out, and I believe it is my favorite one-shot that I've ever written, I mean, the transition from my mind-to my fingers-to my computer screen was just so flawless. Everything flowed along perfectly. Anyway, please tell me what you think of it and I hope you enjoyed this short read. Until next time, please take care. Ja ne!
 
-LilyGinnyBlack-