Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ It's Our Secret ❯ Fallen Strands ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shot Four: Fallen Strands
 
A/N: Hello there, I just wanted to thank all my readers and reviewers out there. You all mean a lot to me, I hope that you all enjoy this one-shot, and, really, I don't have anything else to say…so, onto the story. : )
 
(-)-(-)
 
Long and pale fingers trailed through midnight black hair. Rin sighed; her black strands were long once again. How could the hair have grown without her acknowledgement? Then again, the past few weeks had been rather on the crazy side. For no real reason, Rin lifted the hair up and pulled it back, as if she were to put it back into a ponytail, but then, she let her locks loose and they fell gracefully against her back. As the soft particles hit their mark, memories of how she had once been drifted over her.
 
Rin could remember the icy glares and the tight fabrics (of all the skimpy clothes she use to wear) and she could always replay the feel of Haru's lips upon her own. But then, it was all taken away from her, and only pain was left.
 
That unbearable coldness and despair as she was locked up in the Cat Room; how long she had been in there for, she would never know…but her body…so weak. Her body had wished for someone to depend on when she was in that black coated room. Her hope, how it had spiked when she had seen the door open, and only to be greeted by Akito.
 
Akito who had carelessly slashed away at her hair; each strand dropped and the wound inside her heart had grown. For, with every single strand that was cut away, her mind comprehended it as a memory viciously ripped from her. By then, she was drained physically, emotionally, and mentally; a wish for her life to end had been made, yet, it never got granted. No, the moment that door opened again, the only option she had was to live.
 
After all, Haru had stood there, his dark orbs blazed with anger. She could easily recognize the symptoms of Haru's black side as it emerged. He took large and fast steps, so as to get to her quicker, and Rin could only watch as her vision began to blur. Both due to her unshed tears and utter exhaustion; then, blackness consumed her sight fully, as the last image she could recall had been of Haru-the last touch she could sense had been of his arms wrapped around her beaten form.
 
As those events played out all over again in Rin's mind, her hand became hesitant in its action. Could she…Did she really want to cut her long hair all over again? Would she feel the weightlessness of lost memories? Yet, at the same time, Rin had grow use to, and even started to like her short hair. Also, her outfits no longer fit her elongated, shadowy tresses; not one small piece of cloth was wrapped around her frame. Instead, much more conservative clothes adorned her features. The garments she had also grew use to and fond of, so, what was she to do?
 
With one deep breath, Rin let her instincts take over, and a few cuts and snips later…her hair was short again. Styled as best as she could do and just slightly above her neck; now, she could only hold optimism towards Haru's reaction. Thus, she moved away from her place, in front of the mirror, and walked out of her room.
 
Since it was summer, Rin opted to wear a light, in both material and color, sundress, which covered quite a bit of her skin. Her feet were bear, but she could care less about such a trivial thing, all she wanted to focus on was Haru and his respond to her new look. And then, there, she found him; in the back yard of the dojo.
 
Slowly her legs moved over to meet him and she couldn't help but notice the way the sun made his silver hair shine-which only helped to extend the deep contrast of his black hair underneath. Each ring or bracelet or necklace glinted brilliantly in the presence of the sun. She loved him, yet, not solely for his looks. No, he had been there for her no matter how many harsh words she said to him or how many times he had received the cold shoulder from her. He understood when she needed her space, but he never gave up on her. That was how she knew-that he loved her too.
 
By then she was almost to him when she called out, “Haru.” Her shout wasn't loud or silly or overly girlie. Rather, it was quiet and reserved…collected. Haru just stopped his practice moves and turned to look at her. His eyes surprised and a grin on his face. Her face held no such emotion.
 
“So, do you like it?” She stood right beside him now, and her voice was only slightly shaky, though her insides squirmed. She looked up at him, only a little bit since she was quite tall for a female, and her murky depths showed more of the fear of rejection she felt was bound to happen.
 
Haru stepped closer to her; his head bent downwards as he closed in to kiss her. His eyelids gently began to cover his eyes, as did Rin's, yet, when his lips only just covered her own, he whispered, “I like you better with short hair, it's easier to run my fingers through.” And, to show emphasis on his words, Haru did just that. At that moment, he captured her pink lips with a full blown kiss and Rin's eyes could no longer be seen, for her eyelids lay peacefully over them.
 
His kiss was so tender and sweet, and the emotions they both had inside themselves could be felt, so much so that, in the end, Rin let herself smile for the very first time.
 
(-)-(-)
 
A/N: Another one shot completed! I don't have all that much to say on this one, just that it came out better than I thought it would. Please tell me what you think of it in a review and take care. : D Ja ne!
 
-LilyGinnyBlack-