Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ It's Our Secret ❯ Extra Baggage ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Shot Eleven: Extra Baggage
 
A/N: Hey there, everyone! I'm happy to report that I was able to watch the New Haven fireworks display last night. ^.^ Oh, and here is another double post. Enjoy!
 
--,--
 
Kagura had feared Kyo at one time in her life. She had been repulsed by him. She had found him to be cursed twice over. Had found that he was worse off then she ever was and ever could be. That notion had made her find happiness in his pain. It had made her cruel and truly a monster.
 
Made her a slave to selfishness; submissive to force and pity. At first she found enjoyment out of what she had become, but then, what she had pretended to feel for so long, actually blossomed inside of her.
 
Love; she had finally loved Kyo. Truly; not out of a selfish need to feel superior due to Kyo's cursed over life of inferiority. She had simply woken up one morning and found an emotion in herself she could not explain. An emotion that only came when Kyo was near; yet, Kagura could not figure out what had brought about this morbid sense of fiction to reality. Only now, years later, when she was older, wiser, and her heart no longer called out to Kyo could she understand and see the truth.
 
She had developed love for Kyo because of Tohru. Her heart had thumped repeatedly because of the competition it had sensed from Tohru. Not her mind, not anyone else, and not even the two with whom the whole thing revolved around were able to see what had been formed. Yet, Kagura's heart had. It had seen the love bond that was so pure and true; a bond that had already began its construction so early in their relationship. Such intensity was how Kagura's heart knew Tohru would be the ultimate threat and that the only way for her to keep to her selfish ways was for her heart to open up to the idea of love.
 
So love she did, and just like all the other things in her life, love she did to the extreme. Her heart's plan had backfired; had caused for her to push much too hard and much too fast. In the end, she had pushed Kyo farther way from her and her love for him, and had only brought him closer to Tohru and their love for one another. All those years ago she had known that, yet, she hadn't given up, not until that one and only “date” she had with Kyo. When her backfired plan had slapped her right across the face; the sting had been so hard-it had caused tears to fall and shame to replace the greed.
 
After that day she gave up on Kyo. She let him go from her iron grip and harsh affection. She devoted herself to help Kyo and Tohru get together, and, as impossible as that feat may have been. It came to pass in the end. Now they were happy and she was happy to be on her own. Her greed was happy to please just herself and no other. With the curse gone she had no more pains or woes, she only had joy. It was rather odd to her still-to feel such a way-but she would have it no other.
 
The years flew by one after the other and in some way all the members of the zodiac (all thirteen, plus a god and a sensei) had found contentment in some way or another. So, why did she bother to think of the past in such a way, why?
 
Kagura could not come to the conclusion that it was because of that extra baggage of the past that her future was able to shine as brightly as it does. Without a reminder to a bleaker time, to a horrid and yet wonderful mistake, Kagura would have been unable to compare just how much brighter her outlook on life and the world had gotten; just how her greed for others had dwindled. Nevertheless, Kagura doesn't realize that she knows the answer to that pondered over question because, truthfully, no one ever notices that they ask themselves questions that they already know the answers to. And thus, Kagura is just like everyone else, and everyone else is just like her.
 
We all have that extra baggage that we all just happen to carry along with us.
 
--,--
 
A/N: Another one-shot done and out. I think I watched way too many episodes of the Twilight Zone these past few days. This one-shot definitely gives off a Twilight Zone feel, or, I think so at least. : P Anyway, please take care and tell me what you think! Ja ne. : D
 
-LilyGinnyBlack-