Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Hopes ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

5: Hopes

Tohru walked through the trees, closing her eyes in the warm light streaming down from the rustling leaves above. A pair of yellow ribbons floated in the warm, quiet breeze, whisking her brown hair back over her shoulders.

Yuki had only just caught up to her, but remained behind. He walked silently, unable to disturb her peaceful tranquility. He had a million questions for her, but they would just have to wait. For now, it was just she and nature, and he was unwilling to make an entrance.

Kyou beat him to it. "Hey, what are you doing?!" the orange-haired boy demanded loudly. Tohru jumped in surprise, then glanced at him and smiled.

"Hello, Kyou-kun!" she greeted. Kyou blinked, then frowned all over again.

"Aren't you going to your part-time job today?" he asked, voice slightly less vociferous. She shook her head.

"Momiji-kun's father insisted I take the day off, because I have had a perfect record for three years now," she replied. Kyou stared at her.

"Three years? Perfect record?" Tohru smiled and nodded. "Wow. Well, anyway, that's good, I guess." He glanced back, as if noticing Yuki for the first time. "Were you aware that you had a mouse for a stalker?"

Yuki glared at Kyou, but Tohru only looked surprised. "Yuki-kun! I didn't seen you back there! I'm sorry," she apologized. Yuki shook his head.

"You seemed happy, I didn't want to interrupt you," he replied. Kyou nodded his head.

"Of course! Everyone is happy when you aren't around," retorted the cat. Tohru glanced at them, unsure how to cool the two animals down.

"Um.. since I have the day off, you want to do something?" she asked suddenly. Yuki and Kyou both focused on her, one curious, one irritated.

"Like what, Honda-san?" Yuki asked.

"I don't want to do anything with that damn mouse," Kyou announced. Tohru looked at her feet nervously. He immediately recognized the look, and furrowed his brow. "Uh, but as long as you're there, I guess I can... you know, fit it into my busy schedule..." She immediately looked up, smiling.

"I was thinking that we could go and see some of the Hana-mi. Shigure-san told me today and tomorrow would be the best day for cherry blossom viewing," she said happily. "He pointed out to me a large grove of them, just along the path near where the avalanche was."

Yuki raised his eyebrows. Hana-mi? It had been a while since he had last done that. "That sounds wonderful, Tohru-kun," he said with a smile. "It is a great way to celebrate school letting out."

Kyou had to agree. The peacefulness would do him some good; even if he couldn't pick a fight with Yuki, he could still enjoy himself.

The three walked back to the house in relative silence. Tohru bounced happily, excited for her outing with the two most important men in her life. Kyou kept his face stern and angry, as was expected of him, despite the fact he was quite looking forward to spending some time with the joyful girl. Yuki walked with a smile on his face, maintaining his usual amount of composure.

Tohru stepped into the house. "We're home!" she announced, glancing around. It was silent. She raised one eyebrow; usually Shigure was enthusiastic about their returns to the house, and she was sure he hadn't said he was going anywhere important that day. He didn't go shopping or out on social occasions often, either.

"Shigure-san?" Tohru called, walking down the hall towards the office. Yuki and Kyou stood at the door, looking equally bewildered. "Shigure-san!" She knocked on the door. When there was no response, she lightly opened it.

Shigure sat at his desk, his hands resting on the table. His computer was on, but he seemed to be staring blankly at it. "Shigure-san?" Tohru asked. "Can I come in?" When there was no reply, she took the risk of being rude and stepped over his large piles of papers towards him.

"Shigure-san, what is it?" she inquired quietly, peering at his face. He was pale as a ghost, and his hair looked frazzled.

"Tohru-kun," he replied quietly. He looked up, barely noticing as Yuki and Kyou came bustling into the room.

It was a few minutes before Tohru and the two boys had maneuvered the man out of his office and onto the couch in front of the television. He finally regained the color in his face, and addressed them. Tohru kneeled in front of him, patting his forehead with a cold washcloth, while Yuki and Kyou stood off to one side.

"Ha-san called today," he began. "Akito... Akito is dying. Quickly."

There was a sudden silence. Tohru sat back, her face expressionless. Yuki's knees gave way beneath him, and Kyou merely stared.

"I know it's a shock... but it will probably be over for him soon."

Kyou shook his head. Shouldn't they be celebrating? The man was evil! He let out a snort, stomping out of the house before anyone could stop him. Yuki sat on the floor, looking at his hands. The man who had tortured him, mentally destroyed him, would die. The calm he had expected to come to him, the relief he wanted didn't grace his stone features.

Yuki felt an assuring hand on his elbow. He looked up, and Tohru nodded her head. He slowly stood up, with her help, and leaned against the wall. "Are you alright, Yuki-kun?" she asked quietly in his ear. Yuki nodded slowly, his breath slowing down from its panicked state.

Tohru nodded, walking towards where Shigure lay. She kneeled down beside the couch. "Shigure-san, please excuse me in this time of your need. I must... I have something I must attend to," she said quietly. He looked at her, his eyes no longer glazed.

"What is that, Tohru-kun?" She smiled, patting his hand.

"There is someone I know who needs me very, very much," Tohru replied. She got up, disappearing into the hallway. She picked up the phone, dialing a familiar phone number.

"Hatori-san? Yes. Please, are you well? And the others? I know, Hatori-san. Be well, I will arrive as soon as possible," she assured the telephone. She walked back into the living room, looking at both of the men.

"I will return when I can. Please, wait for me," Tohru told them. "Make sure Kyou is alright, too." She walked towards the door, putting on her jacket. She stepped outside the door, closing it lightly behind her. No one inside said a word.

Tohru stepped down the porch steps, when she heard the door suddenly open, then slam. She spun around, seeing Yuki standing in front of the house, his hands on his knees.

"Don't go there, Honda-san!" he cried, walking towards her. Tohru watched him, her eyes soft towards him. Yuki stepped right up to her, his nose inches from hers. Her eyes widened as he took one of her yellow ribbons in his hand, bringing it back to his lips. "He will only hurt you! You remember what happened last time."

He closed his eyes, kissing the ribbon like he had done before. It seemed so long ago, he thought sorrowfully. But she was the same... she didn't change. She hadn't changed, but his feelings for her had. Yuki let the ribbon drop from his hand as he saw an unfamiliar determination in her eyes.

Tohru lifted her hand, putting it on his cheek. She cupped his face, watching with a bittersweet expression as tears began to brim in his eyes. She smiled, and releasing him, turned around and walked down the path.

Yuki stood still, watching as her scarf blew behind her. She had to do what she had to do, he told himself. She wouldn't leave them... never. He tilted up one lip. Akito didn't matter to him. Tohru did. Tohru was everything to them, and he would just have to trust her.