Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Purposes ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

6: Purposes

Momiji stood outside the main house, leaning against the door. Tohru walked silently up to him, lightly touching his shoulder. The blonde lifted his head, his once bright and lively eyes seeming dull and lifeless. He had no tears in his eyes, no paleness in his face...

"Tohru-kun," he greeted. "Are you sure that you should be here?" The question startled her.

"I..." Tohru looked at her feet, but glanced up as she felt Momiji's hand on her shoulder.

"Come on, I'll walk you inside."

The door swung open, and the two walked in silence through the main courtyard toward Hatori's apartment. There was an eerie silence, and darkness seemed to be everywhere despite the plentiful sunlight. Tohru stopped mid-step when she saw Ritsu, dressed in a proper shirt and tie, but he disappeared quickly into a building not far off.

They stepped into Hatori's apartment without so much as a knock. But he was obviously expecting them, for he sat hunched over in his chair, his head resting on his arms. As soon as he heard them enter, he lifted a pale face. He had large bags under his eyes, and looked ready to collapse at any moment.

Tohru rushed towards him. "Hatori-san!" she cried worriedly. "You should sleep!" He shook his head.

"Akito calls for me once every hour. I will be awake until he passes away." Tohru looked down sadly, but she quickly changed her attitude to one of determination.

"How is... how is he doing?" she asked. Hatori raised his hands to his temples, massaging them slowly.

"Not well. He can hardly move, and is completely confined to his bed. He requires constant attention," he replied tiredly. "I don't even know if he recognizes those who visit him. He either rants deliriously or is deadly silent. The staff is in an uproar."

Tohru nodded slowly, the gears in her head working. She had begun to come up with a plan.

"I will come tomorrow early in the morning," she announced. She turned to Momiji, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Momiji, make sure Hatori sleeps every moment that he isn't spending with Akito. I will be here as soon as I can."

Momiji stared at Tohru, then nodded slowly. She smiled her best smile, and walked back out the door, waving to them.

"What was that all about?" Hatori asked suddenly. Momiji shook his head in bewilderment.

"I don't know, but it sounds almost ominous."

By the time Tohru had arrived at Shigure's house, the sun had gone down. Although she was very paranoid being out alone after dark, she had not been in enough of a hurry to get back before then.

She entered the house, hoping she could still be just in time to make a quick dinner. She was greeted instead with Yuki and Kyou lounging on the floor flipping channels, while Shigure was nowhere to be seen.

"Yuki-kun? Kyou-kun?" Tohru inquired. The two boys looked up at her, and their tense faces seem to be overcome with relief.

"Are you alright, Honda-san?" Yuki asked worriedly. Tohru smiled and nodded.

"I'm leaving early tomorrow morning," she told them.

"What for?" inquired Kyou. She looked at him, unable to lie, but unable to tell the truth.

"I think I'm going to go to Hana-chan's house for a little while, she wanted to take me out to get something nice. I'll be back as soon as I can, and the three of us can go do something special to get our minds off... things," she told them. Yuki nodded slowly. "Did you already eat?"

Kyou nodded with a tad of annoyance. "We ordered bento. There's one on the table for you," he said rather crudely. He went back to flipping the channels, leaning up against the couch.

Tohru nodded and bowed. "Thank you for thinking of me," she said quietly, before disappearing into the kitchen. Yuki frowned, but was too exhausted to get up and go after her.

Tohru ate her cold dinner in silence, before cleaning up the kitchen quickly and disposing of the trash. She then walked back through the living room, wishing the two boys goodnight before walking up to Shigure's door.

She knocked lightly. "Yes?" came the reply.

"May I come in?" Tohru asked. Before she could blink, Shigure had opened the door.

"How did it go?" he inquired, the life in him seemingly revived. She lowered her head.

"Don't tell Yuki or Kyou... I'm going back tomorrow morning. I'm... I'm going to see Akito." Shigure immediately stood up, looking the most dangerous she had ever seen him.

"Never!" he said loudly. Tohru tried to calm him down by putting a hand on his arm, but he shook it off. "I won't let him hurt you again!"

Tohru shook her head. "Shigure-san!" she cried. He immediately calmed down, staring at her. "Hatori-san told me... he may not even know it was me. He can't move enough to hurt me... and I won't let him die without at least seeing him and..." she lowered her head. "And apologizing."

Shigure stood for a moment, transfixed. The kindness in her heart never ceased to amaze him. "Tohru-kun," he addressed. "I will cover for you, but only this once."

Tohru smiled widely at him. "Thank you, Shigure-san," she said. "Goodnight."

***

The next morning, Tohru awoke to the sound of her curtains rustling in the breeze. A few birds chirped outdoors, but their music was pale in contrast to the thoughts inside her head. She was ready in a few minutes, deciding against wearing her favorite yellow ribbons. Instead, she tied back some of her hair in a little blue piece, putting on some nicer clothes. Although her outfit was rather casual compared to the formal yukatas worn by Akito and Shigure, it would have to do.

She walked down the stairs quietly, stepping into the kitchen. Setting to work, she made a large plate of riceballs with various breakfast fillings, and put them in the fridge along with a small note for Kyou, because he was always the first down in the morning for a swig of milk.

Tohru cleaned her hands, putting on her jacket just in case as she stepped out the front door. Kyou watched from the stairway, his eyes overcast. She was up to something, he could tell just by her nervousness. He was going to find out just what it was that she was plotting.

Tohru walked down the street, purse in hand, as she approached the shopping district. It didn't take long to find a flower shop, where she picked out the nicest bouquet she could find within her price range. With the pretty arrangement in hand, she set off towards the main house.

Momiji was again waiting for her when she arrived. He looked exhausted, and she immediately felt guilty about waking him up early in the morning because he had to let her inside. "Momiji-kun!" she said worriedly. "You should not have come out here just for me! I can wait..."

"Don't worry, Tohru-kun," he said. "I've been awake all night." Without further words, he led her into the large courtyard once more.

Hatori quickly noticed the large bouquet Tohru held. "That's not a good idea," he told her flatly. She only smiled at him.

"May I please see Akito?" she asked, her voice seeming almost cheerful. Hatori, slightly confused, slowly shook his head in affirmation.

"Let me go tell him you are here... I cannot guarantee a response, though. If he doesn't reply, I think it would be alright if you just went in, said hello, put down the flowers and left." Tohru only smiled and nodded.

She sat down on a cushion beside the table, setting down the flowers. Momiji sat down beside her, inspecting the bouquet.

"These are beautiful flowers," he told her truthfully. Tohru grinned.

"Why thank you, Momiji-kun. I thought the color of tulip was rather appropriate," she replied. "I never took a full length flower-arranging class, but I know enough." Momiji smiled back at her, and the two waited in companionable silence until Hatori returned.

"He responded... and it was as much of an agreement as I can get out of him at this point. Please, go in with extreme caution, Tohru-kun," he told her.

Tohru picked up her flowers, straightening out her skirt. She nodded, letting him lead the way towards Akito's apartment.

The hallways were dark and silent, the very walls seeming to emanate the pain and hatred suffered there. Tohru felt her heart rise into her throat; her last contact with Akito had been one of the most unpleasant experiences of her life, and she had no desire to repeat the incident. She would have to be very, very careful.

This man was the leader of all her friends, all the people she loved and cared about. If he died before he found peace, then so be it... but she would try her best to try and understand the complex being.

Hatori slowly opened the door, allowing her inside. He entered with her, unwilling to leave the two alone. He closed the sliding panel behind him, taking a seat near it. Tohru observed the room: many of the previous furnishings had been removed, but the same tapestries hung from the walls. There was a small birdbath, but there was a closed door between it and them. A rather luxurious-looking futon sat in the center of the room, and there was someone lying beneath the heavy blanket. His dark bluish-gray hair was splayed around the pillow, and his face was invisible.

She kneeled some feet away, setting down the flowers beside her. "Good morning, Akito-san," she greeted in a quiet voice. There was no reply. She crossed her arms on her lap, preparing for a long morning.