Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Admittances ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

31: Admittances

Tohru stood outside the door, her hands crossed in front of her holding a small plastic bag. She heard no response from inside the room, and she began to wonder if maybe Akito was out doing something when she heard light footsteps. The door slid open.

Akito leaned against the doorway, one hand propped against the wooden frame, his yukata hanging loosely about him as usual. His eyes were hidden in a shadow and his dark hair clung to his cheeks, and his usually pale skin had more color to it than Tohru remembered.

"Akito-san?" she asked with concern. Akito lifted his head, his eyes becoming visible as he tilted his jaw back. He watched her calculatingly as if he were searching for something, anything, to alleviate his stirred thoughts. The silence was pain to Tohru. She swallowed and kept her eyes on the ground, whether out of respect or fear, she didn't know.

She never knew what to expect from Akito.

"Come in, then," he said abruptly. He walked back into the room and sat on the floor as Tohru hesitantly looked about, finally coming in after him. A breeze drifted in through the open porch door, causing Tohru to push her hair back as it was ruffled about her face. Akito laughed, drawing her surprised attention.

Tohru blushed slightly and sat down as well, her bag crinkling as she set it on the floor while Akito eyed the object with interest. "How was your day?"

Tohru lifted her eyes. Akito rarely asked her how she was or 'how her day was.' It wasn't because he didn't care, per say, it was that he would never be able to relate to her life anyway. He knew it, so he never asked.

But that day, he wanted to know.

Tohru crossed her arms on her lap. "I spoke to Yuki and Kyou today." Akito nodded slowly, anticipating their conversation. "I don't know what happened when you spoke to them. I... I made them hurt. But staying with them will only make it worse."

Akito raised his eyebrows. "I want to stay here," Tohru said quietly. "I don't want to see you hurt too. Their pain will go away. Kyou-kun will learn that he does love Kagura-san, and Yuki-kun will accept Ayame-san as his brother and Hatsuharu-kun as his friend."

She raised her eyes. "But your hurt won't go away. I..." Tohru paused, closing her eyes. Akito watched her closely, his pulse raging faster and faster as she spoke. "I want to make Akito-san happy."

Akito's eyes dilated. His former self would have shrunk back in fear and hatred at her words; but now, he felt himself wanting to respond to her, to show her just how... happy she made him.

"Tohru... I..." Akito raised his eyes, watching her, hoping she could understand everything he couldn't say. Tohru smiled.

She held up the bag she had been carrying. "Would you like to eat some tokiyaki with me? I've always wanted to eat it with someone."

Akito allowed himself to crack a slight smile and nodded. "The weather's pleasant today, what do you say we eat outside?"

***

Later in the evening, Tohru sat in her room, focused intently on her books. Exams were coming closer and closer, and she was not nearly ready for them.

A light knock at her door interrupted her studying. "Tohru-kun, may we come in?"

Tohru blinked, attempting to place the voice. "Yes please!" she said. The door slid open, revealing a tall, brown-haired girl and a little blonde one. Kisa jumped at Tohru, hugging her.

"Oneechan!" she cried. Tohru smiled, hugging the little girl. When the two had parted, Tohru looked at the other girl.

"Kagura-san! What are you two doing here?" she asked with a grin. Kagura kneeled down near where Tohru sat, Kisa cross-legged at her side.

"We just wanted to see how you were doing," she replied. "I was concerned about Kyou when he told me Akito was forcing you to stay here," a blush crossed the girl's face at the thought of the cat, "and Kisa here was going to be extremely upset if I didn't let her see you too."

Kisa smiled and Tohru could barely restrain herself from hugging her. "I'm doing very well, actually," Tohru admitted. Kagura raised her eyebrows in surprise.

"How?" Kagura asked. "Oh! I'm sorry, I don't mean to pry! It's just that it's hard enough to live here at the Honke. Although Akito is the clan head, he... disconcerts even I." Tohru smiled and shook her head.

"No, it's perfectly alright. Akito is very kind to me." Even Kisa looked surprised at that. "Kagura-san... can I tell you a secret?"

Kagura raised one eyebrow, then nodded. "Anything. Kisa won't tell either." The tiger nodded in agreement.

"I've always wanted to be in a special place with someone," Tohru confessed, "and... I think Akito is that person."

There was a silence. Kagura stared at Tohru, and Kisa lowered her lashes in thought. "...Really?" the boar asked in a strained whisper. Tohru nodded slowly.

"I still don't know how he feels... not yet. But I want him to tell me."

Kagura let out a sigh, hugging her friend. Tohru blinked, returning the gesture. "I trust in your judgment," the older girl said. "I think you might just be able to save us."

Kisa looked up at the clock. "Oh no!" she cried in alarm. "It's very late. Mother will be worried." Kagura nodded.

"We'll see you tomorrow, okay, Tohru-kun?" Tohru smiled.

"I would love that."

***

I knew she was already gone when I woke up. Although I had been looking forward to starting my day with one of Tohru's homemade breakfasts, she had also informed me she was going to get to school early and get started on a project of some kind so I wasn't too alarmed.

I sighed, shrugging off my night clothes and finding my yukata just inside my door, washed and folded. I sighed, picking up the cloth and smelling the scent that was uniquely Tohru's. Even though there were maids around to cook meals and wash clothes, she insisted on doing all her own laundry and making her own food. I noticed she had started doing some of my laundry as well. It wasn't unwelcome in the least.

Another long, boring day began, and I was already dreading it. I ran my fingers along my pale chest and quirked my lip in annoyance at my skin and bone. Being thin had never bothered me before, but I felt myself wanting to be stronger, be more powerful.

I felt like a man wanting to show off. It was some sort of instinct that had I had never really been noticed before, I supposed. It was only until recently that everything I repressed during his teenage years were coming back to haunt me.

I sighed, putting on my yukata and shrugging it into place, not even bothering with my haari. I wasn't planning on seeing anyone that day anyway.

I passed a maid in the hallway, ordering some breakfast sent to my day room, which I soon after went into.

My life had changed so much so quickly. I hated to be alone; being away from Tohru, at least. I didn't mind being alone with her, but I began to feel idle.

The day passed rather in the same manner. After breakfast, I went on a long walk, which I knew was being supervised by Hatori from his villa. He was starting to go to his office more and more often, and I had heard he was thinking of re-starting his practice. Though the Sohma family never had money troubles, I thought maybe it would get him out of my way for a short period of time.

For this reason I took my time in the backwoods of the property, just stopping and watching the birds. I really enjoyed birds; their freedom, but also the way they would surprise so easily. They seemed to be attracted to me, at least. Everything reminded me of Tohru, so a few hours after lunch, I returned to my room through the back porch door.

I sat in my room, working on writing with some paints. It was a way to pass time, anyway. I glanced up as there was a knock on my door, and I put away my art. I wasn't an artist, but the technique interested me to some degree.

"What is it?" I growled. I was in no mood at all for visitors, even Hatori. I rarely needed him anymore although he still insisted on giving me regular checkups.

The door opened, and Hatori stood just as I expected, but with the snake beside him. Ayame, in all his amusingly stupid glory. I really didn't like him all that much, but he never caused me any trouble and kept himself busy away from the Honke. That was enough for me, although his flamboyant egotism and constant energy really tended to irritate me on the rare times I interacted with him.

Hatori only bowed slightly before leaving. I raised my eyebrows; he was leaving me alone with the snake? "Well, come inside," I ordered. Ayame nodded respectfully and entered, closing the door behind him and taking a seat just as I did. "What is it you want?" I asked.

Ayame's large, golden eyes always unnerved me. I knew it was just his resemblance to his Jyuunishi animal, but I always felt as if despite his superficial personality, he was probing into me with them. It gave him more dimension, I supposed.

"You know that I own a dress shop," he said. Of course, I wanted to say. I wasn't that oblivious to his actions. I only nodded in response. "I have one employee, a woman named Kuramae Mine." Ayame paused again.

"Please, go on," I told him in a deceivingly sweet voice.

"...We want to marry."