Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Light in My Life ❯ Beginnings ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sailor Panda - I know about what Hatsuharu calls Tohru. It's been a few years, though, and I believe they've established more of a friendly, peer relationship, so I changed what they call one another. I sort of messed up what Hatori calls Tohru, though. I was originally going to use the "Honda-kun" he uses for her in the anime, but I changed it because I wanted to insinuate that Shigure's familiarity with Tohru rubbed off on him, so he began calling her Tohru-kun. I was hoping to use different honorifics to show how characters' relationships have changed since the last Furuba episode. Although I wasn't sure how to treat the Kagura/Kisa/Tohru relationships, but I did what I remembered.

Well, it's the end. Enjoy.

32: Beginnings

Just how exactly was I supposed to react?

My first instinct was to fling something hard at him. But then, that would be useless, because the woman in question wasn't in attendance.

This irritated me even more.

Hatori was a calm, collected person, and it took a lot to make him angry--or make him show emotion, for that matter. Hurting him was exciting. Seeing his pain was interesting. Would seeing the bright and cheerful Ayame sad give me the same adrenaline, the same pleasure?

He had no respect at all. He didn't even bring this woman to introduce her to me. The nerve! What was he thinking?! Did he know what he was doing? He was denying the protection I gave him. This woman would only hurt him, would only reject him when she found out his secret. In the end, if I denied him, if I defiled him and drove her away like I did Hatori's woman, then he would thank me for saving him!

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Ayame jerked, and I heard a familiar voice announce that it was coming inside. The panel slid open and Tohru stood in the doorway, raising her eyebrows in surprise at seeing the snake. She smiled and bowed to him.

"Pardon me, Akito-san, I was unaware you had visitors. I can come back later," she said with a smile. I paused for a moment, ready to shoo her away and get on with my business, but something stopped me.

"That's alright, come inside. I have a favor to ask of you." Ayame kept his eyes on me, calculating my strategy. He smiled as Tohru passed and I felt a surge of jealousy, but I restrained myself.

Tohru seated herself beside me, looking quite happy in her school uniform. I had only seen her in it a few times before, but I always liked how it looked on her, how it fit her just right. She had become so pretty.

"Ayame presents me with an interesting proposal," I said. Tohru nodded, smiling brightly at the both of us. "Would you like to repeat your question?"

Ayame swallowed. It was nice; I never saw him nervous. Power truly was a great thing. "Mine and I want to get married," he repeated.

Tohru blinked, then her face turned radiant. I almost fell back from the force of her excitement. "Ayame-san! That is so wonderful!" she cried, absolutely glowing from head to toe. Even the snake looked slightly surprised. Then he laughed loudly; Tohru was infectious. Even in my presence, he still managed to let loose a familiar "Ho ho ho!"

"Oh, I must see Mine-san at once! We'll have to talk all about wedding plans... Oh! Will you have a western wedding or a traditional one? You two could make the dress!" Tohru was so bright and excited, I was completely engrossed in watching her. Did she have any idea at all that the decision rested completely on me?

I cleared my throat, immediately earning both of my visitors' attention. Tohru's eyes widened and she suddenly began to apologize profusely.

"Sumimasen, Akito-san!" she cried. "I am so sorry! I didn't even realize! Excuse me for my ignorance! I always jump to conclusions."

I blinked. Had she read my mind? My apparent state of confusion seemed to alarm her even more, when I set a hand on her shoulder. She froze, her large, green eyes locking onto mine. I turned to look at Ayame, whose smile had quickly fled him. The rambunctious, self-absorbed man could really be serious when he had to be.

"Tohru's judgment has come in," I said, my voice deep and grave. I immediately saw Tohru's alarmed, saddened face as she watched me intently. "This Miss Kuramae will be brought in for an interview."

I turned my head from Ayame to where Tohru sat, her eyes lighting up. She smiled widely at me, unable to hide her happiness and approval.

It took so little to make her happy, and so little to make her upset. I wanted so much to see her smile, to see her laugh...

To see her happy.

"You are dismissed," I said to Ayame. The snake bowed and thanked me, but I blocked it out as he quickly left. My attention was focused elsewhere.

I rose to my feet, walking three steps to where Tohru sat so I stood over her. She tilted her head back, her smile turning into pensiveness as I kneeled on one foot, taking her chin in my hand.

I placed my lips on hers, burying myself in the flood of feelings and emotions which overcame me at her touch. I wanted all of it, every small thing she made me want and feel and hope for. I squeezed my eyes closed and absorbed everything about her lips, about her tongue and her teeth and her mouth.

After what seemed like an eternity of bliss, I drew away, opening my eyes slowly. Tohru lifted her lashes to look at me, her eyes slightly hazy and a lock of hair hanging just off to one side of her face. I let my forehead rest against hers and I fell onto my other knee. In a bold move, she lifted her lips and kissed me again. It was a short embellishment as if she were asking of me, hoping for me to understand her. It was like a plea and a desire, so true and pure in all the innocence that was Honda Tohru.

God, how I loved her.

***

Hello. My name is Honda Tohru. At this point, I'm sure that it sounds redundant, but I felt as if I must introduce myself. When my husband gets going, he tends to take over. In more ways than one, I can assure you.

Ayame and Mine's wedding was beautiful. They chose to go western style, just because it would be their greatest project together to do all the outfits for their own ceremony. I stood as Mine's bridesmaid; in the months of their engagement, the two of us became fast friends. She loved to dress me up, and I didn't mind it at all.

I didn't show Akito any of the outfits she had me try on until he actually drove by one day to pick me up. It was a pink and red ensemble, consisting of a pink maid-like uniform with lacy red headband, arm band, and waist and front. He stopped in the doorway, staring at me with the most shocked expression I had ever seen on his then strong, colored face. It was the first time I saw his cheeks gain even a speck of red, and he was speechless until Ayame burst into the room chattering wildly to distract him. Of course it had been a few minutes before the snake noticed him, but it was enough to make me giggle and blush like there was no tomorrow.

He never really let me off that one, later. Kyou has taken his time realizing the wonderful purity of Kagura's devotion to him; although it did take her some time to get over her violent tendencies toward him. He is still very tentative, but I think Kagura's love will win him over in the end.

Yuki has never really been able to connect with those of the opposite gender. I don't know if he ever will, but he found college to be the ideal next step for him. He studied for many years, but ended up becoming a successful businessman. I don't even know what it is exactly that he does, but it makes him happy.

That's really all that matters. He visits me often, and always has great stories and even greater smiles. Kyou is less temperamental, but he has his moments.

Of course, the best part of visits is making tea and food to serve. I love having visitors.

I don't know if Shigure will ever finish torturing his editor, even now that she's his wife. I don't even know how it happened, but Shigure was rather sad to give up my title of "little flower" and "cute bride" to someone else. Though, I think Mit-chan-san is just the person he needs. They live an interest life indeed. Akito suggests it's better not to ask about it.

Hatori will never recover from Kana. He is still the family doctor, but now operates his own practice in his office. He is becoming more open, and is always concerned for my welfare. He is also great at giving advice, and always seems to know when something's wrong. In his own way he gives great therapy, just being a friend.

Hiro has finally become Kisa's prince. They have a subtle relationship, but I see them often hand in hand or arm in arm. Hiro visits sometimes even without his cousin, and although he refuses to admit it, I think he sort of likes speaking to me every once in a while. I absolutely love his company.

He's so cute.

Momiji will never really grow up. He and Hatsuharu were rather good friends for most of their lives, but Hatsuharu moved to the mountains for a reason I'm quite not sure. I really think it was to get away, because the cow will never lose his feelings for Yuki. Momiji loves coming to visit me, and I've even taught him a thing or two about cooking. He has an adorable girl friend who is very Japanese, but is fluent in English and is one of the most scholarly females I have ever met. But she has endless energy and is flawless at keeping up with Momiji.

Ritsu is gaining more and more confidence in the job he got working at Yuki's company. I believe he can associate with female workers now in a right frame of mind, and he is becoming more bold and less apologetic, and instead tries his best to be calm about things.

He still has his moments, though.

Ayame and Mine's daughter is the cutest little girl I have ever seen. She has light white hair and dark brown eyes, and her father is always braiding her long mane in all kinds of designs. Every day she has a new, cute outfit, and it is impossible to resist hugging her.

Akito warned Ayame about having a child, just for the reason that the next Sohma was due to be cursed. He confessed that it was one reason--though less prominent than others--as to why he refused to let the Jyuunishi have relationships. But if my memory serves me correct, the moment Miki was born, the doctor held her. She only grabbed his finger and pulled it.

Akito was never very romantic. It took him almost two years to tell me exactly how he felt about me, and it is a day that I will always remember.

It wasn't over dinner, or on a beach walk, or even on the porch while fireflies buzzed about us.

It was when I accidentally came into his room while he was getting dressed. I had never seen Akito without a shirt, or without anything, for that matter.

My entire body blushed. His yukata was pooled around his feet, and I could only stare in shock as he moved nonchalant about his nudity--in front of me--to get his night clothes.

"Sumimasen, Akito-san!" I cried, almost bursting into tears from the incredible shock and embarrassment I felt. I hid my face as I hastily tried to open the door, my fingers slipping each time from sweat.

"Why are you so embarrassed?" he asked. I turned my head to face him, when I realized his nudity again and turned away abruptly, hiding my face and apologizing all over again.

"You're... you're..."

"So? I don't mind." I blinked, and turned around slowly again, keeping my eyes solely on his face as he began putting on his night clothes in an excruciatingly slow fashion.

"Y-you don't?" I asked, my voice clearly trembling from my shock. He shook his head and shrugged on his shirt.

"If it's you, I don't."

Now fully dressed, he walked toward me and put one hand on my cheek. He kissed my forehead, then my nose, and hovered right before lightly pecking my lips. "You know, Tohru, I don't tell you enough that you're cute." He sighed, watching me with an uncharacteristically friendly expression. "But that's not what I want to tell you. I don't care if you see me in any way... you don't judge me."

He paused, leaning toward me in an intimidating fashion. I was too wide-eyed to react. "I love you for that."

Akito kissed me again; a full, deep, all-encompassing kiss. And it was amazing. And he asked me, "Will you stay with me? Forever? After having you for this long, I'll never be able to give you up. I want all of you. I want you to be with me, to give me this feeling you give me, forever."

And here I am, sitting on a couch, giggling as a little boy plays with my hair. His name is Tsukasa, and he has dark hair, olive eyes, and fair skin. He is two years old, and is not an animal of the Jyuunishi. Even after the current Jyuunishi die, no other members of the Sohma family will ever transform when hugged by the opposite gender. They will never transform when it is too cold outside or when they are sick, or when they are overwhelmingly happy or sad. They will never suffer because of the curse, and my husband will never die because of it.

Akito lightly kisses me on the forehead, picking Tsukasa up out of my lap. "It's time for bed," he says, setting the boy down on the floor and walking ahead of him down the hallway to his bedroom. We live at the main house, and now have the whole main villa to ourselves. Hatori's old room is now Tsukasa's bedroom and play room.

My little boy jumps onto his bed, already in his pajamas. Akito harshly tells him to calm down, and Tsukasa does as he is told. He knows his papa loves him, but Akito really has no rope for children, even his own. Tsukasa obediently gets into bed, pulling his blankets up to his chin. Akito moves to turn off the light, but the boy stops him.

"But papa, mama always gives me a kiss before bed." Akito narrows his eyes, and I stifle a giggle from the doorway. With a reluctant sigh, he lightly pecks Tsukasa on the forehead before turning out the light and coming out into the hallway.

I wink at Akito, and he snorts and closes the door. I giggle, linking my arm with his. "Come on. Let's go to bed."

He kisses me on the forehead and drops my arm, abruptly hefting me into his arms. I let out a squeal as he pulls open the door, locking his lips to mine before closing the door again.

It's good to be. Though we all have had and will have our good times and bad times, things will work out for the best.

And I am grateful for that.