Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight Phantom ❯ Unexplainable Reasons ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Sorry if I haven't been updating as fast as usual, winter exams have been on and it's been pretty stressing. Oh and I've made my chapter extra long since chapter 4 was a little short on words. Anyway, please keep posting reviews, it would mean a lot to me and the story!!!! Have fun reading chapter 5 and if you have any cool ideas or suggestions, feel free to post a message to me
 
Chapter 5 Unexplainable Reasons
 
Was it just her imagination? Was it a ghost? Tohru didn't know. When Kureno turned around to see what she was screaming at, the transparent figure disappeared into thin air without a trace.
 
“Are you alright Tohru, what's wrong?” Kureno's face was suddenly full of worry.
 
“I-I-I saw, I saw, I think I saw a ghost.” Tohru stuttered with fear.
 
“Pardon?” Kureno misheard her.
 
“I- I saw someone, or something next to that grave, it looked like…like a ghost, it appeared so suddenly, I got shocked.” Tohru tried to calm down breathing heavily.
 
“Really? Are you sure, I don't see anything.” Kureno started to get cautious looking around and examining the graves.
 
“I'm sure I saw it but my eyes might be playing tricks on me, I really don't know, I'm so sorry for scaring you.” Tohru felt guilty.
 
“No I think we should get out of here.” Kureno replied taking Tohru out of the graveyard quickly. Tohru looked back, she thought she saw the same figure appearing again but she tried to ignore it incase she was dreaming.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -----
 
She went to bed early that night thinking that she needed some sleep. The nightmare haunted her yet again with Kisa, the graveyard plus the figure, the transparent ghost like thing was in the background laughing. Something was definitely wrong; Tohru could feel the adrenaline rush to her head as she woke up starting to cry. She hated the dreams; she hated them so much that it made her weep tears of frustration and annoyance. She noticed as usual the window was open even though she was staying temporarily at the Sohma main house. The area around always made her feel like she was being stalked, hunted down by this striking bad luck.
 
She took out her gown and wore it then opened the door and walked into the hallway. She needed to see Kisa, make sure that she okay and in other words, warn her about the upcoming sickness. How she was the next victim. It was only 5:45am, way too early to be checking on Kisa, but she was so curious and not to mention, worried. She found the room that Kisa was staying in and opened the door trying not to create too much noise. Then she saw it, the figure next to Kisa, she panicked, it looked like she was taking the life out of her and Kisa, finding it hard to breath was moving rapidly gasping for air. Tohru ran to her trying to move the ghost away. The ghost disappeared and Tohru helped Kisa giving her all her comfort while Kisa coughed loudly.
 
“Kisa, oh my goodness, are you okay?” Tohru was very concerned.
 
“Sissy, I'm-I'm so frightened, this thing attacked me, it was so-so-so scary.” Tears started to flood down Kisa's cheeks as she told Tohru what had happened.
 
“I was asleep, then I started to have these nightmares, I was so scared, I was woken up, and then I saw this ghost-like thing appear in front of me trying to kill me or something, it was if the same thing was happening to me like Hiro, the other day he was nearly drowning.”
 
“Kisa, I will do everything I can to help, I'll stay with you for a while.” As Tohru sat down next to Kisa, she started to tell Kisa her part about the constant nightmares and how Kisa was the next target. Kisa listened carefully while clutching onto a pillow tightly. Tohru knew how Kisa felt, it was heart-breaking that one by one, the Sohma's were catching the sickness and yet nobody knew how to stop it.
 
Tohru went to the kitchen to find a glass of water for Kisa; she opened the fridge door hoping that she wouldn't need permission as this was kind of an emergency. As she walked back she heard a loud thump. She ran to Kisa's room finding her on the floor like a still puppet. Tohru tried to wake Kisa up but she couldn't. She started to cry softly as she called for help. Hatori came running in his pyjamas and suddenly stopped when he saw Kisa.
 
“I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!” Tohru wailed.
 
“What happened, has she got the sickness too?” Hatori asked.
 
“I was with her, she-she was thirsty so I got her a glass of water and when I came back, she was, she was like this.” Tohru pointed to Kisa's body while she herself was shaking non stop.
 
“It's not your fault, let me take her to the ward in the building next door with the other's, can you please call Shigure, Kureno or anyone you can find.” Hatori said carrying Kisa and walking off.
 
Tohru went to fetch one of the elder Sohma's as she checked every room. She finally found the room that Ayame was in and knocked on the door loudly feeling guilty for having to wake Ayame up.
 
Ayame opened the door half asleep looking at Tohru oddly then looking at the clock.
 
“Tohru, why it's very early in the morning, what's going on?” He questioned.
 
“Kisa, she has the sickness, Hatori asked me to call you.” Tohru told Ayame as he frowned.
 
“Oh dear, what terrible news, I'll go call Shigure right now, if you could call Kureno……”
 
“I'm on it!” Tohru cut in on her way to find Kureno while Ayame went the opposite direction to Shigure's room.
 
Ayame burst into Shigure's room and woke him up without hesitation.
 
“Wh-what? Aya, it's not time to get up yet.” Shigure groaned.
 
“Shigure, wake up, I've got bad news, Kisa has the sickness! We are in danger and you need to come with me.” Ayame said still trying to get Shigure out of bed.
 
“Oh-oh, help me up will you.” Ayame pulled Shigure along as they met up with Tohru and Kureno.
 
“Is everything alright?” A puzzled Ritsu came out of his bedroom.
 
“Kisa has the sickness.” Hatori said shortly.
 
“Oh dear, this is horrifying, what shall we do, can I help? I'm sorry, I never wanted this to happen, please tell me what I must do to help.” Ritsu started to run around the room waving his arms madly.
 
“Calm down Ri.” Shigure poked Ritsu in the hip while he sunk into a trance.
 
“Wow, the magic touch really does work anywhere, anytime.” Shigure congratulated himself as Hatori snapped Shigure back into reality.
 
As all five people sat down in the living room, Tohru explained to them her dreams early this morning and how Kisa was unable to breathe due to the mysterious ghost that was haunting them. Kureno, Ayame, Shigure and Ritsu listened with interest while Hatori arrived after settling Kisa down in the nearby `home hospital'. As the doctor, Hatori was still troubled not knowing what the sickness was. He couldn't identify it as it was just so unexpected.
 
“Tohru, do you know who is next?” Shigure asked.
 
“No at least not until I fall asleep tonight but I'm afraid it might be too late.” Tohru answered sadly.
 
“Well, I think it's rather fair that we gather Kagura and Rin and Akito, it's way too risky to leave them alone. Besides those three are the only ones who could be in danger if you don't include us.” Hatori stated.
 
“True, True.” Ayame and Ritsu nodded.
 
“Tohru, is it alright if you sleep in the same room as Kagura and Rin tonight, I need to convince them to trust us now that we've already got six people under the sickness, we don't want to lose anymore.” Kureno explained with a serious expression.
 
“Yes, I'll make sure everyone is accompanied by somebody else, who knows what could happen.” Ritsu agreed.

“The only thing is…I can't figure out why…well Momiji and Kyo were in public when this happened, they were in front of a lot of people, I'm not sure having company will be the solution.” Tohru remembered what had happened less than a week ago.
 
“You are absolutely right, we really need to find a cure or else I'm afraid this could be getting really serious.” Hatori pointed out.
 
As their meeting finished, the clock read 7am. Kagura and Rin came downstairs for breakfast while Tohru told them the news. Rin looked angry and Kagura looked shocked.
 
“How dare that ghost bastard, all because of that damn thing, Haru's in intensive care, I'm not letting this happen anymore, we gotta stop it.” Rin banged her fist on the table causing everyone to jump.
 
“Rin, calm down.” Kagura looked at Rin.
 
“How do you expect me to calm down when there's this thing walking around our house stalking us and watching our every move, it's not only freaky but it's disgusting. I'll do whatever it takes to rid that rotten thing!” Exclaimed Rin as she pushed her chair in too far making a loud noise.
 
“Well, it is scary, poor Kyo; I'd do anything for him too. As long as he's sick, I'll never be happy.” Said Kagura.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------
 
Meanwhile Kureno walked to Akito's building looking for him and trying to convince Akito to stay by his side temporarily until they had gotten rid of the sickness. He reached Akito's room and knocked.
 
“Enter.” A voice called out.
 
Kureno slid the door open and went inside taking a seat on the mat.
 
“Kureno, what brings you here?” Akito said in his not so welcoming voice that gave a slight tense feeling in the air.
 
“Akito, the sickness has struck Kisa, I'm afraid it's no longer safe that you stay here alone. I and the others suggest you come stay with us in our building until we can figure this out. We don't want to lose you to the sickness. Please consider this.” Kureno told Akito firmly.
 
“How thoughtful.” Akito chuckled.
 
Kureno stayed silent as he was still expecting a reasonable reply from Akito, he sat there looking directly at Akito meaning he was serious.
 
“I do not wish to share the same building with you people especially if that Tohru or Rin is there. There is no way I'm speaking to them.”
 
“But Akito, it's for your safety and your health.” Kureno protested.
 
“What does it matter? I'm going to die anyway, I'm going to die early and you people live for as long as you like, do you have no consideration about me being sick all the time? Or do you only worry because that Tohru does.” Akito smirked in disbelief.
 
“Akito, don't say these kind of things, even if you are destined to die, we still want to give you a fair chance so you can try to live longer than you should.” Kureno replied.
 
“Haha, very funny Kureno. The zodiac animals have never cared for me.”
 
“That's not true. Akito, we aren't forcing you into staying in the same building as us, it's just for your safety but if you really don't want to then, I think I should be going.”
 
“Right…go, I don't care.” Akito replied in a careless tone.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------
 
I hope you enjoyed chapter 5, I've tried to make it as long as possible. Chapter 6 will be here soon.