Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ The Dream ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirty-three
 
A discovery is said to be an accident meeting a prepared mind.
 
Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi
 
The Dream
 
I was…somewhere in the middle of a field…How I got there, how I was there in the first place, and where I was? I had no answers to anything there; I just stared out, in what I call oblivion. There was nothing but emptiness, only stars blinked down at me, a new moon so light was little. But I could make out the knee-high, silver-green grass blades all around, as if the field was endless. I had no emotion, nothing. Like my very being was of little existence. What was wrong with me? I remember the Sohmas, my own family, friends like Hanajima, Megumi and Uotani. But nothing else seemed to spark my interest. As if they were, nothing to me. But how could they be nothing to me? How could anything be nothing to me? It seemed that I didn't truly value anything, wasn't I suppose to?
For a moment, I stood there, seemingly blind as for some reason the land around me began to darken, but then, something strange happen. Something that was much stranger than things were already. The moon began through its phases, going at a fast pace, slowly the ground began to regain its light, but becoming lighter than it was before. Soon the moon was almost full, there were distant lights, I smelled nothing, nor did I hear anything. But then I saw it; they were lights lit upon thirteen high sticks. I ran towards them, little figures began to form. Soon I was close enough to make out the figures.
It was no doubt, the twelve animals of the Zodiac, along with the cat! But they weren't partying. When the moon became full, it froze that way and the animals stared up at it.
Future Zodiac…tonight is the night, of which you will race, race to prove to me that you are worthy of the Zodiac that will be titled as of tomorrow night, in the order of those who complete the race tonight, will arrive in the same order tomorrow. If you fail, you will be banished from attending and will not be placed among the Zodiac.” The voice had no body, but it was convincing and confident. Stern and harsh. The voice alone sent shivers up her spine. “So, without further ado, please get at the starting line.” I watched as the animals followed the order and were lining up, I jumped when the voice boomed.
What are you standing there for Fox! You agreed to this! So hurry up and join the race!” I vaguely wondered if the voice was talking to me, but I felt a sudden change and looked down. I was about five feet shorter, and completely black! I was the Fox! But I hurried after the others, not wanting to be scolded for something I was clueless on. Well, I wasn't completely clueless. But this wasn't the same tale I was told of the race, I thought the order was determined by when the animals arrived at the party that was said to be tomorrow night. I was deeply confused.
“Yo, good luck. This ain't gonna be easy, this damn course was designed by Lord Cosiniak himself, don't wanna get stuck in one of his freakin' traps.” The Cat said, I didn't realize I was behind the Cat. For some reason he sounded a lot like Kyo, in both personality, speech, and basically the orange fur that was extremely similar to his unusual orange hair.
“Um…thanks for the warning. Good luck to you too, not sure that you would need it though.” I replied, I didn't want to get on the wrong side of him, if he was in fact in anyway like Kyo besides those comparisons I just mentioned.
“Yeah, I know. I can't believe I'm going to be part of the Zodiac, something us Cats can actually be proud of!” The Cat cried out happily, my heart sunk, what would happen if I told him that the Cat was never introduced to the Chinese Zodiac? Would it break its spirit? What would happen? Heck, whatever happened to the Cat after the story? No! No more questions!
“I'm sure you'll do great,” I said encouragingly, the Cat looked at me and smiled, his white fangs gleamed. “So, what's your name?” I asked.
“Cat, of course, like you're the Fox. Everyone else goes by his or her own clan's name. Like over there is the Dog, Snake, ya know. But shouldn't you know this? I mean, like me, you practically cried when Cosiniak asked for you to be with us. I should know, I practically used my own mom for a scratching post out of pure joy. But the Ox over there nearly jumped over the moon,” The Cat laughed at his own joke, I smiled meekly. We finally arrived at the white starting line; the moon glowed brightly, still full.
On the count of three you will run for that forest, and whomever reached the oak on the other side first is the first of the Zodiac order, and second will be second and etc. Those who don't make it will be left behind and as I had already stated, not be part of the Zodiac. I am sure that I can put full trust and faith in every one of you, now one…two…” What was I doing?!! I hate running! “THREE!” I felt myself running at a fast speed, but somehow the Rabbit was already way ahead of us all. Laughing his head off. Momiji?
“Can't beat me! You all are too slow!” The Rabbit cried in a gleeful manner, as if nothing in the world could break his cheerfulness. He sounded like Momiji too, and what was odd was that even the Cat was getting ticked.
“Why you little! GET BACK HERE SO I CAN KILL YA!” The Cat roared as he sped ahead of me, the Rabbit though had already vanished into the forest. Soon, the rest of the animals were now hidden in the brush, each taking its own way for survival and completion. I found myself feeling lost, but my legs continued to run, even when they began to ache, and at one time cramp. My spirit felt strong at that moment, as if nothing could stop me. I grinned, and of my own free will, leaned forward and sped myself up.
If I continue going forward, actually straight I'll be there in no time. I wonder how long this forest is anyway…? I thought as I jumped on top of a top and jumped to the branches, were a monkey sped past me, his voice panicked. Who the heck was that? Sounded like a wimp to me…
“Oh please forgive my presence there is no reason for me to be up here above you all who are ten times better than me!!!!!!!” The Monkey cried, I sweat-dropped as I jumped from branch to branch. So why was he even running? Why would the God actually even pick him out anyhow?
“AWWW! Come on buddy! Let's finish this race together!” No way… I looked to me left, a sweat-drop clinging to my head. It was a Western, fantasy-themed green dragon at my left, gliding elegantly over a black dog, the Snake not so far behind.
“This is not something we can do together…” the Dragon hissed, sounding greatly annoyed. Hatori?
“Well! In my opinion I certainly don't care what that out-of-fashion God wants us to do! Don't you think we should have planned the party? I mean really! Sake can only be so good! Not that I drink it! Nasty stuff must I tell you! Not pleasant to drink at all? I wonder how you drink that in the first place!” The Snake cried out. Ayame?
“I agree with him! Let's be the good pals we are and finish together! So give us a ride!” The Dog barked up at the Dragon. Shigure?
“No,”
“Please?”
“No,”
“Come on!”
“No,”
“Pretty please?”
“No,” With that word the Dragon flew off at a much faster pace, I sighed and got them out of my view. For a few minutes I pretty much grew bored, I sighed and dropped down to the ground and shook my tail. It seemed even though I was under all these trees; it was still pretty light.
“It isn't a good idea to linger, never know what might be in here,” I jumped to the side when the Sheep came through, his horns curled under his ears, but he rammed through the brush, gone in a second. He didn't sound familiar at all; I shook my head, what am I thinking? These animals can't possibly be anyone I know? This event happened thousands of years ago! And besides, this could just be a dream; maybe I should pinch myself!
“Oh darn! The time will be out soon!” It was the Boar this time; she struggled on feebly pass me, Kagura? But wait a minute, time? There's a time limit! Crud! I leaped back on the trees and hurled myself at top speed.
Soon I began seeing a brighter light, and eventually a tall oak tree alone on a hill. But the problem I found was, everyone else seemed to be there, but myself. I jumped down from the trees, I was at the edge of the forest, and the animals were looking down at me. Angry-like, their teeth were bared, showing off sharp fangs (if they were carnivores) and the Horse, Sheep, and Ox reared. The Rooster crowed and the Boar snorted her disapproval. I heard a slight gasp and turned to my right, it was the Cat.
“No…” he mumbled, he stared up in disbelief at the twelve animals, my heart began to crumble. Was this how it was? For the Cat? And what about the Fox? That was when, the light dimmed, I looked up at the moon, and it was going through its second phases. Maybe, the end of the time was when the moon went back to new. I nudged at the Cat.
“Hurry, you're almost there!” I urged.
“It's too late…there's no hope…” he mumbled, lowering his head.
“Yes! There is! If you can run fast you can make it to the tree! Touch it! And you'll be part of the Zodiac by tomorrow! Go! Now!” I growled, nudging him again, when he remained motionless, my heart quickened, time was running out! I looked at him, and an idea came to mind. I turned around, and with quick movement, I bit his tail, he bolted. Up the hill he went, I quickly ran after him. This is it! If I could somehow reach the tree after the Cat, maybe the Fox would be part of the Zodiac! I wouldn't be cursed! My family wouldn't be cursed! No one will be cursed ever!
“Hurry!” I cried, the Cat took it seriously and ran faster, I was nearly out of breath, the breath I didn't realize I had till this moment! My movements weakened, I was so tired! Every muscle in my body wasn't spared; it felt like they were now ripping themselves apart under the strain of my actions! I don't think I can keep this up, but…the Cat was still going!
Wasn't he feeling the same aches? Wasn't he feeling what I felt? If he was, he wasn't showing it. He was going all the way, yet if he failed, he would at least finish the race strong.
“Go! KYO!” I cried, I don't know why, but Kyo came to mind. Kyo wasn't a Cat, no way! No one, well with the exception of us, could transform into animals! The Cat quickened and with a mighty leap, jumped over the animals and smacked the tree's bark, he made it! But my legs gave it, I fell over my front legs and my chest, neck, and head rammed into the ground. I was so close, but the moon beat me. Everything was engulfed in darkness.
“You failed!”
“You are no longer welcomed among us!”
“Go home!”
Go home? What home did I have to go to? My head feels like there's an ax in it, the blood pounded in my ears. What were they expecting me to do? I could see nothing, so how could I distinguish the fact that I lost? But the sneers and fangs that were probably towards me erupted throughout my brain. I arched violently, the noise alone seared through my head like an arrow, the sharp whistle split whatever sanity I had into fragments, and it was gone. Everything I thought I had -if anything- was gone…simply gone…
You have failed to finish the race, you are therefore forbidden to enter the grounds of the Zodiac God, Cosiniak. Do leave, rid your horrid being from these sacred grounds as of now,” the frightening voice boomed at me, making the pain worse.
“Where can I go?” I screamed out automatically.
“You can stay with me…” My eyes opened, it was the Cat. He stood there, staring at me with a fixed expression of firmness and agony. “But by tomorrow night, I will only be allowed to wander about the Zodiac Lands, you must leave by tomorrow morning before Lord Cosiniak discovers you still here.” I tried to smile, but it only made me wince, and I closed my eyes tight to rid my orbs of forbidden tears. The soft paw of the Cat was now on my right temple, I remained motionless.
“Don't give up!” He suddenly hissed, harshly. I curled up tighter; “Don't you dare give in to the urges! They'll only make things worse! Not only for yourself! But for the rest of us too! You can change everything that will be done in the future!”
“Future…listen…Ky-Cat, you won't be-I mean, don't fall for-” I tried to make out a warning as to not fall for the Rat's trickery, that should at least save him right?
“I don't get what's with this nickname Kyo or whatever! But I do know fully well what's going to happen! So listen to us!” The Cat cried.
“You…do?” I mumbled pathetically, trying to look up.
“Of course, why else do I carry the burden of this wretched form?” My eyes widened as I looked up, ignoring every bit of pain I had I struggled away and sat up, leaning against something I wasn't aware was even there. My body tried to get further away, but my supporter wouldn't let me go any further. It was hideous! I can't describe it, but it smelled horrible! Like something dead, rotting…decaying…
“Yes, look at me! Because of that stupid Cosiniak!” it sounded a lot like the Cat, but the voice was deeper, I still madly struggled to get away. There was no way that could be the Cat! “Piece it together you stupid Fox! Nothing is what it appears to be!” I noticed, behind the monstrous Cat were the other twelve animals, a white light, showing up clearly in the black background illuminated them. They were all concerned, more kawaii than the animals I saw before. Even the Dragon was different, now instead of being Western-like; he was instead the form of a Seahorse! The Ox was even a Cow!
“Don't you get it! Because of you losing to the race and not being able to show up at the party we're all like this!” The Sheep shouted, he, the Tiger, the Rabbit, and some others didn't even look full-grown, what was going on? My mind told me to figure it out, as if it were a life or death situation, but, it probably was…
“H-How is it my fault…?” I managed to gasp out, I'm so scared! Someone save me from this nightmare!
“You should know! You were the first cursed! And using your discovery you ran to the Party that was supposed to be held tomorrow night! But by then you were still too late! The Rat had already tricked the Cat! The evil deed was done! And that time, you couldn't help him! You weren't there to support him on! So instead, as a result with no knowledge of dealing with this rejection, this evil Cat spirit was born!” The Cat growled, so, that was the Evil Cat Spirit? I never heard of it in any of the tales I read or heard…
“But…wait a minute! How am I the first cursed! The book said the Cat was the first cursed! And what discovery! What discovery could the Fox ever discover? As the future beholds, the Fox is nothing but ridicule of the past of the Chinese Zodiac! Please! I beg of you! Answer my questions! I can't take it anymore! I CAN'T!!!” I cried, falling to the ground, at the Cat's feet. I couldn't cry, I had no strength to move, let alone cry.
“What can't you take?” The voice was calmer, I looked up, and the Cat was back to normal. And they were alone, the Cat had a paw on her arm, he was staring sadly into her eyes, he seemed more elderly, wiser than reckless and arrogant.
“Being answer-less, I have more questions than answers…” I mumbled out, unable to speak at normal volume.
“I understand…as your generation Cat feels the same, so does everyone else.” The Cat said.
“What do you mean by that? Is there another family cursed as well? Cursed by the Chinese Zodiac animals?” I asked out of disbelief.
“On the night of the Cat's rejection, the Holiday Zodiac was never part of that crisis. At least, until they met you. I believe somewhere after they found a wounded baby black fox several centuries ago they became sickly, they were no longer able to travel from town to town to cheer on those who are need of optimism. They became so sick that they left their bodies behind and went in search of another. Unfortunately, humans were the only ones they could find to possess completely. But their plan backfired, now their souls are passed down from those who die, to the next person worthy to fill in for a certain spirit. The same goes for the family that is cursed by the Chinese Zodiac, their traits are very much like that of the Chinese Zodiac animals. It shouldn't be too hard to find them, as of now; you have yet to see my grandson. I am surprised you never met him, he can give you more answers than I can.” The elderly Cat said. So there was another cursed family?
“Aw, before you jump to conclusion young one, you should really look for the Cat and Rat. Since the Rat seems to have tricked the Cat himself, you would at least think they were lifetime rivals right? I think you should start there, just about anyone on the street can match up to an animal's traits. I should know, I was very much like the present Cat. Always looking for a good fight, wanting to kill a certain Rat for so long, right now, I feel nothing but regret for many of my past attempts to defeat the Rat. The Cat right now should be aware of this, but now, he has no choice but to fight. As of now, if he wins he gains his freedom, if he loses, he will remain locked up forever…” The Cat seemed so weary now, I pitied him.
“But…what can I do? Once I find the family?” I asked.
“You might not know at first, but my grandson can tell you,” the elderly Cat said.
“Who is your grandson?”
“He is the kind-hearted relative of mine when I was still alive,” the old Cat answered. “He isn't old yet, but his hair has always been gray since birth for some odd reason. But he is not cursed though, but adores those cursed anyhow. He raised the now present Cat himself, that's why he knows so much about martial arts, my grandson is any grandfather's pride.” The old Cat said, a tear trickled down his cheek, across his whisker, and finally it dropped to the ground. I looked down, the tear dropped into an invisible puddle. But when I looked back up, the Cat was gone. I was healed though, I was no longer shaking and dirty from the run I had in the forest.
“Do me a favor, when you see him again, say that I'm proud I was able to see him, even if it was on my last of days.” The voice of the elderly Cat requested.
“I will, if I ever find him that is.” I replied, the voice chuckled.
“I'm sure you will,”
But that still leaves more questions, how is it the Fox's fault for every one else to be cursed? If what they say is true, then she was the first to be cursed. There must be something else she was missing, she had to find that Cat fast, but he could be anywhere in the world, he could even be a she!
They relate to the animals traits of the Zodiac, much like the cursed members of the Holiday Zodiac are related to their animals. And besides, they're making it easier on you…” a feminine voice said, an image of a smile ran through my mind, and the only word that came to me at that moment was…
 
“Mother…” My eyes opened slightly, I felt hot for some reason. I looked up, I was in my room. I looked to my right, it was three twenty! I missed school! Shoot! But aren't the others supposed to be here at any moment?
“Oh! You're awake Eriko!” Tohru cried from the opening door. I looked up at her big smile. “We're sorry that you missed school, but you came down with a fever. I doesn't look like it's broken yet,” Tohru said with a concerned expression. Yuki then came in with Kyo in tow, though Kyo was holding a bowl of steaming goodness! My nose was slightly stuffed, but I could tell it was leek soup, I think I'm going to die…
“Sorry…but leeks will help you get better, but just to make sure you ate it, I added a different flavoring. I'm sure if you like it, so will Kyo!” Tohru said with confidence.
“Hopefully, I have your homework from the teachers today. Get it done whenever you like as long as you turn it in before Sunday,” Yuki said, lying a thin stack of papers next to me. I smiled gratefully at him.
“Thanks, but you didn't have to get them. It would have aggravated the teachers more,” I said jokefully. Yuki made a nervous smile.
“Just hurry up and get better,” Kyo growled as he made a movement to give the bowl to Yuki.
“Why are you handing that to me you stupid Cat?” Yuki asked, my eyes widened.
Stupid Cat?
…you would at least think they were lifetime rivals right?
When they finally were able to place the small table over my lap and placed the bowl of leek soup on it, the two began to fight all the way.
“Could you two leave for a moment, besides saving my room I want to talk to Tohru for a minute, alone!” I growled, Yuki and Kyo growled at one another and left with hesitation. When I was sure they were down stairs, I looked up at Tohru. “You can sit down,” she smiled meekly and sat on her legs next to me.
“Is there something bothering you Eriko-chan?” she asked kindly.
“As a matter of fact I do, how long have you known the Sohmas Honda?” I asked, she looked up in thought for a minute.
“About two to three years, why?” she asked.
“Then would you know if they were cursed?” I asked.