Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Because of Rain ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirty-five
 
Who said you had to go, and who said you had to stay?
 
Christian Soimat
 
Because of Rain
 
 
Eriko glared up at the sky, she was finally alone that hour. It turned out that Tohru had to work this evening and needed groceries, Eriko took it upon herself to shop for her. She honestly didn't mind, but what bothered her was how damp her surroundings were. She didn't like sunny days, but gloomy days like these were just as bad, as they promised rain. She was all right with rain, but despised being in it. Eriko looked back at her path she was walking, she was taking a different route to Shigure's house. She wanted to take as long as possible even if it did mean she would be facing Kyo's angry nature from hunger and possibly annoyance from Shigure's teasing. But from what she guessed Yuki would probably not be there, possibly going to walk Tohru home, even if it meant staying there for another few hours with gawking young and old women.
She slowed her pace when she came to the Tokyo Cemetery; it was an odd feeling she had at that moment. Now that she started thinking about it, she had never seen her parent's burial grounds. Her father's wasn't proper since there was no body to bury, but her mother's was said to be one grand and as well, tragic moment. Eriko felt that those two people were utter strangers, she knew not of what they did for a living, how they were, what they looked like! She barely knew anything except that Saniiro was the previous and unusual Fox of his generation. But now she carried the burden. But what she found strange was how she carried the curse when she was alive and he had ran away. Could the curse go directly to a living relative? If so, what person would suffer when she was gone…?
Eriko stopped at the tall, black-barred gate and pushed it open with little ease as the cemetery had been here for so long it's inhabitants and inanimate objects grew rusty. With a mighty shove the gate broke away from her weight quickly, and as soon as she entered, the gate gave a loud creak as it closed behind her. For a minute all she did see were the small memorial and tombstones among the uneven gray-green grass, but the scent of the spirits that had long gone this world still lingered. She set her groceries down and walked down the path. Each memorial stone was engraved with names she did not know, but most were clean or were heavily dirty from either neglectful families that paid for expensive stones for nothing or loving relatives that still thought of their deceased beloved's even after death.
Eriko looked among them, the spiritual sense of what she was looking for grew stronger, till she came to where it was strongest. She was on a hill, a small one, but it was big enough to overlook the rest of the dead. Because of the growing darkness, she almost didn't spot the memorial under a great ginko tree.
 
Saniiro Sanotomono
 
BORN
March 1st, 1952
 
DIED
Unknown
 
Loving father of four children, understanding college professor and well-known mythologist. Went missing on December 21st of 1988. No body found for burial.
 
Eriko's heart raced, the thought of having `unknown' on her gravestone as well frightened her, she did not want to have that kind of fate. She looked over at the over memorial right next to her father's.
 
Mina Sanotomono
 
BORN
June 1st, 1954
 
DIED
December 21st, 1988
 
Beloved mother of four children, caring veterinarian and blessed actress.
Died after the disappearance of her husband from shock.
 
Eriko tried to take her gaze away from the two stones, but was unable. She avoided the clouding of her vision with all her power, but her body, mind, and heart were all in for her to cry. Everything was against her free will and spirit; she sniffed, feeling the pain of the parents she never knew. What about her siblings? Ken'ichi, Ruubii, and Hoshiki? Were they in foster care? Were they together? Away from her when she needed familial support the most? But what did it matter, they probably didn't even know she existed, she didn't know they existed till just a few months ago when she discovered she was now Sarah's and Dikatou's biological daughter. The sky grew darker, but her sudden hiccuping didn't seem to notice. She didn't move at all, she remained there, her long black jacket hanging to her by means of a few buttons.
None of her body reacted to her will; not even her hands came to wipe the freely flowing tears from her burning blue orbs. Her body tensed and shivered as a drizzle came, then erupted into a downpour, she still hadn't moved to place the jacket's hood over her head. Nothing seemed to matter as she drifted into oblivion, not even the groceries that were probably getting soaked in the rain.
“Well, this is a surprise…a stray wanderer decided to pay their respects to the great Saniiro-sama?” Eriko jerked her head to her right with a gasp. The voice that had spoken was soft and kind, with a hint of enthusiasm in it. He had a black trench coat on with his hood safely over his head. In his black gloves however, were her groceries. “I don't suppose these are yours would they?” He held them up. The shadows the hood created hid most of his facial features, but his kind bright blue eyes seemed to illuminate themselves and stare at Eriko with interest.
“Erm..yeah,” Eriko hid her remorse and took the groceries, a good thing about being in the rain though, was that when you cried, nobody would know, as the rain did in all its power, to hide the fact of what you wanted to do in so long, you might just break down. It probably because of the rain they met, or so she felt.
“You don't look familiar here, you from around here?” the boy asked, he was somewhere in his early twenties, his smile brightened the shadows cast upon his face.
“Yes, but this is my first time here.” Eriko answered.
“Really? Did you know Saniiro-sama?” he asked, looking at Eriko with stable interest, neither shooting up nor down.
“No, I wish I could have, I was little when he went missing…” she admitted, adding emphasis to the end of her sentence. “He was my father, a valued person in history of my generation line.” The boy's eyes widened with shock.
“No way, then that would mean you are Eriko Sanotomono right?” he asked, the look didn't suit the boy at all.
“That's right, who are you?” she asked back, but she didn't seem to get an answer just at that condition. The boy was standing there for a moment, then without a moment's hesitation, grasped her in a strong embrace. Eriko was a little shocked, especially for herself as she hugged him back, dropping the groceries to the ground. Who was this guy? But the name left her before she gave it much thought. “Ken'ichi?”
“That's right…” he whispered into her ear as he tightened the hug. Eriko bit into her bottom lip, her eyes tightening with tears. Her grip on Ken'ichi tightened, her fingers taking in whatever loose fabric there was and she buried her face into his shoulder. Her shoulders shook uncontrollably, her tears staining his coat. She wasn't alone anymore, family-wise.
 
“You sure he won't mind?” Ken'ichi asked as he parked his car outside the Tokyo Crane. Eriko suggested that they go here, despite where Riku may work, but Ken'ichi and Riku were friends from childhood or so he said. About an hour ago Eriko and Ken'ichi had broken their embrace and he invited her to dinner, his treat. While the groceries dried in the back they entered the Tokyo Crane.
“How many?” the waitress asked as they walked in casually. By this time Ken'ichi had his coat off and draped over his left arm. He had a manly cut of black hair with his bangs growing longer then his eyebrows. He wore a black upper tunic with blue complex Jeans. He had navy blue wristbands around his arms and wore black sneakers. The waitress -whom Eriko has come to know was Tsuyu- gasped and a smile graced her face. “Well, Ken'ichi-kun, it's pleasure to see you again. Riku just got back, you're lucky to get him at this point!”
Tsuyu had brown curls that lasted only to her ears that held silver hoops. Her lips were painted a light pink but her oddly tanned skin did not clash with it at all. Her brown eyes clung happily to Ken'ichi, probably another friend of his Eriko was unaware of. But what else could anyone expect, she just met her elder brother after all!
“Only us, oh! Tsuyu, this is Eriko, my younger sister. Eriko, this is Tsuyu.” Ken'ichi introduced the two, Tsuyu's smile brightened.
“So you're the mysterious fourth sibling! Ken'ichi's been talking about you!” Tsuyu exclaimed as she led them down the hall to another velvet room. As they sat down she passed out the menu (only to Eriko though). But she gently gave it back.
“It's all right, I already know what to order.” Eriko said, Ken'ichi and Tsuyu grinned.
“Oh all right, I'm sure Ken'ichi is too, comes here often he does.” Tsuyu said with another one of her bright smiles as she took back the menu. She turned to her brother. “The usual Ken'ichi-kun?”
“The usual Tsuyu-chan, you Eriko?” Ken'ichi asked, turning towards her.
“Nakajagi please,” Eriko told Tsuyu, and with a smile she vanished behind the shoji door.
“So, how have you been doing Eriko? I mean, I heard about what happened back then and you ended up in the hospital and well…I'm sorry I never visited, but neither of us knew about each other I supposed. But then again, how do you know me?” Ken'ichi asked.
“You have a knack of pinpointing Onii-kun, at the hospital I was told I was not the biological daughter of Dikatou and Sarah Sanotomono. Nor the biological sister of Yuri Sanotomono. There, I found about you and the others.” Eriko answered. “It's all right you didn't visit you know.” That was a lie, she was wasting away emotionally there. But she couldn't blame him or anyone else for that matter; she put herself in that position, the Fox was more responsible for it then any of the others had.
“Well, imooto (registering emphasis into the word with a smile) it's nice to know you were doing well there.” He said, but his face showed that he was not completely convinced. “It must have been hard for you though.” Eriko's lids drooped.
“Well, it wasn't that bad…”
“Don't lie, you're easier to read than a book. I know we just met Eriko, but you can trust me. Now that I know you're here, I want to know…everything. I want to be filled in; I haven't seen you since you were an infant. But yet, it was still a long time ago, I'm in college and you're in high school. You have problems worse than the average teenager does, I've been through them, I know they're just as hard as being possessed by the Fox, and yes I do know about you. When both Mother and Ruubii ever tried to hold you, you turned into a fox, it wasn't hard to overlook when you were in their arms at that same time you.” Ken'ichi said that for a laugh, but none came. Eriko was leaned against her right.
“What you said is correct, what I've been going through is bad enough without the Fox controlling my fate. I'm going to have to deal with it, if the curse will ever lift, it will be beyond my time.” Eriko stated, not looking up into Ken'ichi's face.
“I don't know about that, there has to be a way to end this suffering. Even the Sohmas are suffering at the hand of the curse…”
“You know about them as well?” Eriko asked, surprised.
“Of course, I'm best friends with Riku remember?” Ken'ichi asked with a grin. “I had to fall on him at some point when we risked breaking our necks as we dared each other to climb trees and race each other down the school fields. Tsuyu was with us as well; she knows the curse as well. But then again, a few of the cursed members know already. Those in question are Sunmei, Riku, Yuri, yourself, oh yes…Kaede learns early, she is after all the Tiger. I think Kisa does as well…not sure, Yasashiku isn't aware of it yet, the Lion isn't of age yet nor does he have the sensitivity as the Tiger, wait till next year.”
“Yuri knows about the curse? And Sunmei? How do all these people know while I sat in the dark?” Eriko asked, controlling her temper.
“ Yuri found out at Christmas as far as I know. The Elephant sensed other then the Fox and Tiger's zodiac life force. There was indeed the Dog, Cow, Rat, Rabbit, and the infamous Cat at your Christmas party from what she told me. When you learn of the curse you see the animal characteristics they have. They even have the traits the calendar tells us.” Ken'ichi said.
“Do you know who those people are then? The Dog and the others?” Amazed but angry even her closest cousin did not tell that she Eriko asked, of this.
“No, I wasn't told the names since I didn't know the people anyway. I think since you live with them, you can find out for yourself.” Ken'ichi said.
“Sorry for the wait,” Tsuyu said as she clambered in and placed the two meals down in front of them.
“Hey Tsuyu, think you can keep her company for a few minutes, I need to make a run to the restroom. Thanks,” Ken'ichi was gone within seconds, but Tsuyu seemed used to it as she sat down next to Eriko, she pulled out a clean towel.
“You look wet dear,” Tsuyu said as Eriko gratefully take hold of the towel rubbed whatever residue was left on her. “I see you have gotten to meet your brother, I bet the whole reason for him to run to the restroom was to be able to sneak a chat to Riku, since Riku is working at his mom's place and here, it's hard for them to communicate anymore.”
“So…you knew them both since they were…how little?” Eriko asked, not wanting to be stuck in an awkward silence till her brother came back. Tsuyu though, didn't seem to care where she was at the moment, as a big smile came upon her features and she burst into non-stop talking like there was no tomorrow!
“Well yes that's how I know the both of them! It was way back before you were probably born…no wait you were probably on your way into the world when I first met those two and we had always been getting into mischief -mostly them as for me I was trying to get them out of it- and therefore I had never been bored since I laid eyes on them! But you should be lucky to have a brother like that Eriko-chan! Very lucky indeed! If I only had a brother like that my life would be oh so more simpler!” Tsuyu ended with that, now the silence was beyond awkward, it was rather uncomfortable to say in the least.
“You have a brother?” Eriko asked, breaking the silence.
“Oh…well yes, but he doesn't get much time you see, to be with anybody like me.” Tsuyu said with the same bright smile, though Eriko could have sworn it dimmed.
“So…what do you think about me being the sister of Ken'ichi?” Eriko asked.
“Well, you're not the only sister, Ruubii has her ways of course! But now that I think about it you two look rather more like twins than elder and younger sisters! Too bad she has too much studying for exams to do much about meeting other people. Her study group and her paperwork are all she has time for at the moment. Once she gets out of high school she's heading straight for college, she and Ken'ichi are looking forward to their careers. They had already decided to become mythologists, you'll have to speak to them to get more details!” Tsuyu said with a wink. That's when the door slid open and Ken'ichi and Riku came in, though Ken'ichi was in hysterics.
“You spent all your time over there with a bunch freshmen! I pity you!” Ken'ichi said kindly with amusement as he took his original seat with Riku by his side. He looked at Eriko. “I don't suppose you've gotten a call from Kaede have you?” Eriko shook her head. Riku unsnapped his cell phone and flipped the screen up, showing Eriko and Tsuyu its picture. Eriko's face was contorted with laughter crying to get out; Tsuyu stared at it confused.
“Whose that?” Tsuyu asked, her eyes narrowing at the picture. Obviously she didn't approve of spying or stalking methods.
“Our cousin and his girlfriend.” Ken'ichi answered, “she got it when the girl, Myuu Kosanike was ushered out of class and was bullied till Yasashiku came to her rescue and they skipped the rest of the schoolday by sleeping!” Eriko burst out laughing along with Ken'ichi as Riku showed no interest whatsoever as he snapped the cell back to his belt with Tsuyu showing the forever-growing enmity for such actions. She snorted slightly, but was caught at it.
“THERE YOU ARE!” It was there manager, a round little man with a bald head. Riku and Tsuyu looked up at him, both eyes widening. “GET BACK TO WORK I AIN'T PAYING YOU FOR SITTING AROUND!”
“Yes sir!” Tsuyu cried as she and Riku hurried out of the room. Leaving Ken'ichi and Eriko to their meals, that were now cold.
 
“Thanks for walking me home again Yuki-kun,” Tohru said as they walked out of the woods and were about to approach Shigure's house when they discovered Eriko coming out of a black car, she closed the door and waved, a male voice said farewell back and the car's wheels spun into action and the car made its way out of the driveway, leaving Eriko with her groceries. Eriko noticed them as they walked up to her.
“Good evening,” Eriko said in a very un-Eriko-ish way, both of their sets of eyebrows shot up into their hair.
“Who was that Eriko-chan?” Tohru asked.
“Oh, a close friend.” Eriko answered. Yuki gave her a baffled look, while Tohru's looked excited.
“Was it Yuri-chan? Or Sarah or Dikatou-san?” Tohru asked, trying to think up all Eriko's `close' friends she knew of, Eriko shook her head, though it wasn't sad, it was completely happy.
“When did the rain stop?” Eriko suddenly ask, catching them both off guard.
“Why, about a half an hour ago, where have you been then Eriko? Could it be the one that just dropped you off your lover?” Shigure asked, but is voice was muffled when Kyo came around the corner, a black furry haze loitering around him. Shigure sweat-dropped. “Oh look at that Kyo! She's back! And so is Tohru and Yuki!”
“Who cares about that damn Rat?” Kyo growled in question as he then turned towards the girls, suddenly just then Eriko noticed how hard it was for him to figure out which girl to greet first, with an unnoticed movement to anyone other than Kyo, she pointed at Tohru. His face brightened slightly, but still remained grumpy.
“What took you so damn long!?! I'm stravin'!” Kyo roared, the movement didn't work, but Tohru smiled and followed after Eriko into the kitchen to prepare dinner. Kyo continued to roar on about not getting to eat yet, Yuki avoided retorting his ugly outbursts about Tohru, and Shigure remained outside. Silent, pondering.
So, Eriko…? Are you giving up? Is that why you're letting him go? Shigure looked up at the sky, before returning inside and boostering Kyo's cranky mood. While inside Eriko and Tohru were almost done making supper.
“So Eriko, who was he?” Tohru asked as she separated the food.
“He was my brother, Ken'ichi Sanotomono.”
“I hope the next we see him I'll be with you, it'll be nice to meet him.” Tohru said with a small smile.
“I'm sure he'll be happy to see you, I don't think anybody has ever regretted meeting you.” Eriko replied.
“Oh no! I'm sure somebody must hate you know and then there's-” But Eriko wasn't listening, her mind was elsewhere. There was to no hating Tohru, nobody could possibly hate her, it would be like hating beagle puppies and dropping them off on the side of the road. But now, she finally met Ken'ichi, the eldest brother in her immediate family! He didn't seem to hate her; he seemed to actually love her, as their first meeting was rather affectionate. She wondered what Ruubii and Hoshiki would be like. Would they hate her? Like her? Dislike her? But at this point it didn't seem to matter to her, she didn't care. At least one other person cared for her, and personally that was enough to make her happy for another lifetime.
“Um…Eriko? Your putting leeks onto Kyo's plate,” Tohru commented.
“Oops,”