Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Shigure, the Dog Star ( Chapter 39 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Thirty-nine
 
When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.
 
Olivia Worth
 
Shigure, The Dog Star
 
The road was slippery; therefore the driver took it slower on the road. In the back of the black limo, sat Hatsuharu, Momiji, Yasashiku, and Myuu. When the main house was told of the unfortunate events, Hatsuharu and Momiji instantly got ready to go, before they got out the door however, Yasashiku and Myuu who was over at his house studying phoned them. They asked if they could have a ride since Momiji bounced right to the topic as soon as he heard whom it was and accepted. So now they were only fifteen minutes away from the hospital. None of them had anything to say even Momiji was dead silent, his barely visible rabbit ears drooping. Now that a storm had settled in it the temperature cooled wondrously. But what took its place, was the ever-dreaded, hair-frizzier, miserable humidity.
“So…do either of you know what happened?” Haru dared to break the silence, asking the Lion and Myuu. Yasashiku blinked and looked up at his senpai.
“Afraid so, but weren't you told? Kazuma-sensei put us into mild detail.” Yasashiku asked, Haru and Momiji looked slightly shocked.
“You know Kazuma Sohma?” Momiji asked.
“Never meant him personally, but my father once told me he was a dojo master in the Sohmas. That's all I basically know about the guy, why?” Yasashiku asked back, the rain pattered against the windows harder, dampening their moods.
“That's right, but I just wanted to know because he was my master, along with Kyo's, Yuki's, and Kagura-chan's.” Haru answered, “so do tell us what Kazuma-sensei told you?”
“Well, he said that Eriko and Shigure were soaked to the bone outside -why they were outside I don't know- and when Shigure came back, she had a serious case of pneumonia and had to rush her to the hospital. That's all I got.” Yasashiku explained.
“How long do you think it'll last?” Myuu asked, “her condition I mean? She doesn't deserve something so horrid,”
“Who does?” Haru asked with sarcasm. Yasashiku glared at him, sending him a reproachful look, warning him not to talk like that.
“I think she'll be okay, but with how things have been going for her. I'm not sure either,” Momiji stated. “We're just gonna have to wait till we get there and see how she's doing before we jump to conclusions.”
“Right,” Yasashiku agreed, as much as he hoped that his older cousin would be fine, it seemed that her time was drawing nearer. Yet if it happened before next year's graduation, it would be most unexpected as the older generation had said themselves it wouldn't be till after the graduation that she would take off. Yet with school term for this year almost over with (by a week) than summer would probably take whatever strength she had away from her. As it said in the legend, Minari preferred being inside, not being disturbed by the sun's light. Minari…half fox…half-human…but she wasn't only half fox, she had the blood of a goddess running through her veins, or well, used to.
“Ah, you made it.” Noami greeted as the visitors clambered out of Eriko's room and into the lobby as the Cow, Rabbit, Lion, and Myuu came in. Dikatou and Sarah remained in her room along with Hatori for a few more minutes. Tohru, Kyo, Yuki, and Noami remained out in the lobby as Hatori said it would take a few more minutes to make adjustments to her monitor. Yet the only one who seemed to mind was the secretary, who did yawning and glowering at the new guests, probably want to go home, but was unable with the guests here.
“If they're going to make me work overtime than they might as well pay me triple…” she whined quietly as she adjusted her glasses. No one paid her no mind and simply began to talk.
“How is she?” Haru asked as they settled down, Momiji sat next to Tohru and talked to her in a reassuring tone. Myuu sat on her other side as well, forcing a small smile that didn't fool anyone. Yuki, Kyo, Yasashiku, Haru, Kazuma, and Noami were gathered in a small group of their own nears the entrance door.
“Stable, or so Hatori claims.” Noami answered. Sighing, Yasashiku looked around.
“I though Shigure was here as well.” Yasashiku stated.
“He and Yuri left, for what we don't know. But it seemed important that they left in such a hurry.” Yuki declared, Kazuma smiled softly, his eyelids drooped.
“Let's not worry about Shigure, he can take care of himself. And well, I think Yuri is driving him wherever he needs to go.” Kazuma answered, when it came out of his mouth, everyone else seemed at ease, knowing Kazuma wouldn't lie on something so complicated.
“Shigure can't care about himself, someone else always has to take care of him.” Kyo stated, most of them nodded in agreement. As of now, only Tohru was able to keep the three men under control before Eriko began staying with them. Tohru remained silent, instead of trying to be modest about everything they agreed on.
“Tohru? She'll be fine, you'll see.” Momiji reassured. Tohru hiccuped and buried her face in her hands suddenly, Yuki and Kyo's faces grew gloomier and Noami, Kazuma, Yasashiku, and Noami began to grim. Haru remained emotionless while Momiji and Myuu tried to comfort Tohru. “Is it something I said? I'm sorry Tohru, I really am.”
“It's not what you said Momiji, it's what's happening to Eriko. Right?” Haru asked, looking over at the adults, Kazuma and Noami nodded solemnly.
“So you have been sensing it as well Haru-kun, I'm not surprised.” Noami stated calmly with a small smile. Haru nodded and looked back at Momiji.
“Yeah, I know that Eriko and her cousins had been cursed since the second time I met them. Actually, I sensed it from Eriko when we went sledding before Christmas. It felt more like a little spark, you know, a small vibration when I was around her. Yet now, it feels like recognition, like she was one of us. It only came clear to me when I was near people like Eriko. So if I'm correct, Yasashiku, Kaede and Yuri are cursed as well.” Haru explained, Kazuma nodded slowly. Yasashiku's eyes twitched.
“What are you talking about are cursed as well? You mean to say is that-you're cursed too?” Yasashiku looked around them, he probably along with Momiji, Yuki, and Kyo hadn't sensed it yet.
“That's correct Yasashiku, like you are cursed by the spirit of the Lion, Haru here is possessed by the Cow. Momiji, the Rabbit. Yuki and Kyo, well, it wouldn't be hard to guess if the Cat was part of the Zodiac. But Yuki is cursed by the Rat and Kyo, by the Cat.” Noami said.
“So what's with this sensing thing then? Why haven't we sensed it and you have?” Yasashiku asked, looking at Haru. Tohru had stopped sobbing and looked up. No one answered that, because no one knew the answer.
 
I had always wanted to feel like being well…like her, but then again, she has her own troubles doesn't she? Eriko's mind was hazed and hurt, why couldn't she move her own body. It hurt her so bad but she still wanted to move. She could hear those around her, she knew her family and friends were there before. Yet, she could do nothing but feel the silence. She didn't want to hurt anymore, and she didn't want them to hurt anymore. She wanted it all to just end…
Would I be talking about myself? I would be selfish to think that…I'm not the only one hurting, everyone has their own pains and fears, yet all I do is think about my own, not thinking about every one else's struggles. The Fox is truly selfish… all around her was darkness, was it all right to sentence herself to be lost in oblivion. It seemed that world suited her more than the lovely planet of earth. It didn't deserve to bear her existence. No one deserved to be around her and be harmed because of her selfish being…no one did…especially not her friends…not her family…
I'm sorry that I'm only a burden…there's no hope for the generations of the Fox…but if we don't bear it, which would? Someone else, who dared to suffer? They still wouldn't deserve it, deserve the long line from a thousand years back from being cursed by the sinister black canine that wished to have nothing to do with the world and the animals that wished for her to join. Yet, the Cat was better, so why didn't they fight for his acceptance? Some friends, maybe the Fox found out about them and their disloyalty and refused because of that…either way, it would still have been rejected throughout time…like the Cat himself. Eriko just wanted it to end; she could have struck herself if it weren't for her cowardice and inability to move. She couldn't move, but if she could, her being would tremble. If she could, she would have cried there. Yet, her mind and heart alone only wept. Alone, they did, together they cried because they functioned for someone whose life ended before they were even born. That was her fate that was the curse that was her, the Fox. It was her burden to carry, and she would carry it alone.
But if I had a choice of living and dying…I would choose to die, and make sure to take the curse along with me to hell… Eriko thought to herself, it was hopeless, why couldn't she just die there, and not get up to run away to die? Run so far so as not to be discovered, just to die? Eriko couldn't have been the only one to think that this fate was stupid, but fate made the rules, and only fate ruled the cursed lives. Everyone else lived normally, walking by windows and shopping for those they love and for themselves. Why couldn't they live like that, instead of walking about with a dark cloud hovering above their heads? But Eriko knew the cursed weren't the only ones to suffer…
Saki and Megumi Hanajima…you carry no dark clouds, Saki you were born with that power to protect the ones you care for and Megumi, you gained your ability to be like your sister, to make sure she wasn't alone in the world with such abnormality…but being born possessed by a vengeful spirit, what does that do? But bring harm upon everyone around you… Eriko felt herself wanting to leave, to leave this place and never have to face that dearest again. That way, no one would be hurt. She could hurt alone, she could do that…she had been doing it the day she transformed into a fox for her Aunt Sarah…she didn't remember if she transformed for Mina, but she wasn't cursed, so she must have for her. And her older sister Ruubii as well…
Don't give in mistress…don't let the darkness carry you away…” It was the red fox again, but now, she sat in the darkness, sitting on her hutches on Eriko's stomach. Only they seemed to be in this dark world, they were alone.
“What is there left for me now…? I'm not worth it, not worth fighting for.” Eriko muttered, the gleaming amber eyes of the kitsune stared down at Eriko. Her bushy red tail was sleek and smooth, and shined from an unknown source of light. Where was the light, she didn't see any light bulbs or the sun.
What is there to live for mistress? Here, there is nothing to fight for, here, there is nothing left for you. Yet back there, where you're loved ones talked to you, thought about you, walked with you. That was something that was left for you, they were there, they didn't disappear and shrink into the shadows. There they fight for you, back in the light they stuck by your side, much like glue. There was something to hold onto to, to keep living and stay there where you can be happy. Yet there's only one question, when they wish to fight for you, will you let them?” the fox asked, silence pursued. Eriko stared up into the nothing-ness of black.
No…I don't think I would let them fight for me…they would get involved in something so trivial that has nothing to do with them…they would be fools to try and save someone that had never really lived. Eriko thought, yet the fox seemed to read her mind.
If you wish to simply give up with no fight mistress, I will leave you to believe that you have never lived before. It is not my duty to force the fox generations into thinking in any other way.” The fox stood and began to walk away; the light that shined on her began to dim. Where was that light coming from? It didn't hurt Eriko's eyes, no, it certainly didn't. Yet, the light was shining on her as well, angelic-like light. She couldn't move, so she couldn't see the source, but when a thought came to her, she warmed up immensely. She was giving off the light, she was shining brightly! How could that be, from what her mind told her, she would be swallowed by darkness, not engulfed by light. Yet her heart told her otherwise…there was something there, still keeping her alive, she was fighting without realizing it. She was trying to fight away that darkening ebbing that was drawing her away from everyone. Why didn't she discover it before?
You may not know it mistress…but I'm fighting too…we're all fighting, for what we wish to happen. The only one with the power to help, is the numerous of vengeful spirits. The only thing to do is to…fulfill the prophecy…” The fox's voice lingered.
“Wait…who are you? You never told me your name!” Eriko cried out, still unable to move.
I'm sorry that I cannot answer that at this time, all the answers you seek were not answered Eriko…because they couldn't be answered, not at that time, nor at that place…
“Then where can I find all these answers! I need to know them! Before my time comes…”
Minari's Fortress in Kyoto might have answers…but that's all I can tell you, I'm afraid this will be our last meeting from now on mistress…take care, and stay strong…
 
Stay strong…
Eriko's hands twitched catching Hatori's eye. Sarah and Dikatou left only a few minutes ago to state that he was done and a few other people could come in by now. He stood up straight and walked over to the side of her bed.
Why can't I still not move…I need to get to Kyoto…
“Hold on tight Eriko-chan,” Hatori murmured gently.
Hatori?
“I know it's hard, but you have now began to live your own life…you're learning to push aside what you are, you are fighting. It's what we all wished for,”
Help me! I need to get to Kyoto!
“I'm sorry that we can't do more,”
It's not your fault at all…its no one's fault that we're cursed Hatori…so stop blaming yourself,
“Just stay strong, and with hope, you'll make it through,”
I'm afraid it's already too late to save me, but its not too late to obtain the answers! If only I could tell you…tell all of you…and we might get rid of the curse once and for all!
 
Stay strong…
 
“We're here Shigure-san,” Yuri stated as she parked the car and turned off the engine. Shigure got out of the car and snapped up the umbrella. He closed the door and ran over to Yuri's side and held it over her as well as himself as she climbed out of the driver's seat. Locking the car and dropping her keys into her coat pocket they walked up to the Sohma Estate's gates. They both stared at the gates, with one swift movement Shigure gathered himself up and pushed the door open.
“Are you sure you're ready?” Yuri asked, Shigure was looking ahead of them as they walked in and stopped. Yuri looked around, it was still so bare, and maybe it was because it was so hot, but now with all this rain. It would begin to bloom again. Shigure nodded solemnly.
“I'm as ready as I'll ever be,” Shigure stated as he pushed the gates closed and led Yuri to the house he was looking for. But before they stepped onto the smooth wood, a shriek filled the night, Shigure and Yuri dropped the umbrella and took off their shoes and slid the shoji doors open. Yuri followed Shigure through the confusing halls, wondering how he knew his way.
“That was Sunmei!” Shigure cried, Yuri's eyes widened as they suddenly slid to a stop, and without knocking. Shigure pulled open the door, everything moved in slow motion. When Shigure looked into the room, his eyes widened and Yuri covered her mouth to avoid gasping. Inside the room the doors to the gardens were slid open, the rain pouring in. In the middle, was a bundle of three people. Kureno stood out the most, with his reddish-brown hair, his own being and Sunmei's, whom was under Kureno were blocking the wind and rain it seemed, yet who they were blocking was shivering and crying out violently. It was Akito.
“Akito!” Shigure cried as the Dog and Elephant hurried into the room, Kureno and Sunmei looked up in surprise. Akito lunged out and her arms wrapped around Sunmei's middle and her head swiftly hit her diaphragm, nearly knocking the wind out of Sunemi as she clung to Akito in a protect-ful embrace. Kureno (whom was grasped by Akito too tightly before to move) quickly got up and ventured to the doors to shut them.
“What happened?” Yuri asked as she helped Kureno, Shigure took Kureno's place, but try to loosen Akito's grip on Sunmei.
“Akito wanted the doors open, but when we refused she lashed out and struck Sunmei,” Kureno answered as he and Yuri finally shut the doors. “Next to that, she hasn't been taking her medicine still.”
“What's this with Akito being a she? I thought he was a he!” Yuri cried, Akito noticed and a wild eye glanced up from under the Dog's and Horse's arms.
“GET HER OUT! GET THAT WENCH OUT OF HERE! MAKE HER FORGET! WHERE THE HELL IS HATORI!?!” Akito cried struggling to get out of Shigure's and Sunemi's grasps. “GET THE FRIGGIN' HELL OFF OF ME! YOU CAN'T CONTROL ME! SO GET OFF! I ORDERED YOU TO GET OFF OF ME RIGHT NOW! LISTEN TO ME!”
“No! Akito! Stop! Stop it right now!” Shigure ordered back, freezing Akito in her place when she managed to stand up.
“Why should I?”
“Because then you'll hurt someone!” Shigure answered.
“You're acting like I haven't hurt somebody already,” Akito replied, a drop of liquid hit the floor as realization struck Shigure. Akito smirked. “Don't be too shocked Shigure…you're only things after all…” Another and another drop of liquid fell to the floor with an undefying `splash'. Sunmei whimpered as her hands shakily hugged her chest, where her kimono was torn and bleeding freshly. Akito lazily walked out from in between them and walked away. Yuri and Kureno watched him wearily as he walked to the right shoji door and opened it.
“Akito, you'll become-” Yuri cried out, but Akito snapped at her first.
“Ill? I'm well aware of that. But you see Elephant; there isn't anything that can stop me from being ill. I have always been ill, so why do people stop me from falling to my death, I don't know. It does feel good though…to not be afraid of becoming ill…when you're ill already…” Akito stated as he stepped into the rain, Kureno remained at the door, not watching Akito as he became soaked. Yuri, out of fright, froze.
“Sunmei…” Shigure whispered, going down to both knees and leaning over to peer up at her face. “Sunny-chan…?” Sunmei didn't look up, but only sobbed back in response. She tightened her grip on her upper kimono and lowered her head. Almost instantly Shigure caught her chin, gently pushing it up. “I'm sorry…this is all my fault…” he smiled softly when his eyes gained contact with her stormy orbs. She looked like she hadn't slept in weeks, but it might have been because she seemed to have been crying a lot as well.
“I was angry that you seemed to have doubted our friendship…so I, I told you what was going on. Taking advantage of your love for Akito, I'm sorry…and if you don't forgive me, I understand…I would hate me too…” Shigure said as his free hand stroked her hair that fell down over her shoulder. She was hurt, harmed by what he did, he never felt so much regret till now. Seeing a woman he cared for hurting another woman he loved broke his heart. Almost slowly, he could almost hear his cardiac walls crack and snap. She wasn't going to forgive him…
“I…I don't h-hate you…Shigure…” Sunmei finally said, she was trying to force a smile, but when she couldn't, she gave up and instead, her eyes began to tear. “I could never…hate you, and I had…never…blamed you in…the first place, I'm glad that you…told me what was…going on, I felt like I was needed to solve something, in the end…it was you who had to come to the rescue…” Sunmei let out a cry as she managed to lean over a bit, yet Shigure caught her when she began to fall. He drew her up to his chest and tightly embraced her, his face buried in her ebony locks.
“Thank Kureno and Yuri for me…” Sunmei said as she closed her eyes. Falling into much needed slumber, Shigure waited till her breathing became normal that he looked up at Akito's figure. Who was still lost in oblivion, his back to them all.
“She's coming back with me Akito,” Shigure finally stated, Yuri and Kureno exchanged worried glances when Akito began to chuckle; a heavier laughter soon came after. When Akito calmed, her head turned slightly, the little light illuminated her narrow and deadly gaze at Shigure, who was the only one seen from the door at her view. Yuri and Kureno were on the side, away from her path of sight.
“I don't think so…you and the Elephant are staying here…” Akito stated as she walked in and stopped. Her hair glistened from the water that drenched her from the rain shower. She left a watery pool behind her, and it began to increase with every drop of water falling from her attire and hair. “You'll all have to live with me someday and I demand that you stay here now, Hatori will be back soon anyway…”
“He will not! Eriko's in the hospital so he's staying longer to ensure that she'll be all right without him!” Yuri blurted out without thinking. Akito's gaze turned towards her as she covered her mouth, realizing she was the one who just shouted that out. But she didn't dare take it back; she didn't want to show fear to this woman. But the fear, she had already seen. The head turned towards her, and began to walk slowly. Out of fear and instinct, she backed away and hit the wall with Akito still advancing towards her.
“Akito! Leave her alone!” Shigure cried. Kureno watched with similar eyes of agony and fright. “She didn't do anything!”
“Oh yes she did, she defied me.” Akito answered as he stopped at least a foot away from the horrified Yuri. She wasn't sure what to do, and feared the worst. Akito's right eye was the only one visible and not shadowed by her hair. “You now know what I really am, therefore, you can't leave. Yet I do not want your memory erased, why? The same reason why I don't have to tell you.”
“Kureno! Stop her!” Shigure cried, Kureno, whom was hesitant, did nothing.
“I can't go against her wishes,” Kureno stated, horrified, Shigure looked back at Akito. And shouted the first thing that came to his mind.
“RUN YURI! RUN!” he shouted, Yuri was frozen for a moment, yet before Akito could raise his hand to only have it come down on her cheek, she bolted out of the room, cried from Shigure to keep running followed her every step.
“What the hell are you doing Kureno! Get her back!” Akito cried, Yuri slipped her shoes on and tripped off the floor and onto the ground. Scurrying off the ground and to the gates, people hidden in the houses came out to see what was going on. Kureno remained rooted to the floor, staring in disbelief at Akito. “GET HER KURENO!”
“KEEP RUNNING YURI!” Shigure cried as Kureno hesitantly ran out of the room, leaving Akito fuming.
“This is all your damn fault Shigure! You damn Dog! You're all idiots!” Akito cried. Yuri pushed open the doors and ignored the pain from her aching ankle as she rushed to her car's door and tried to launch the key into the padlock. Her hands shook horribly and kept her from getting it into the hole. Kureno ran slower than her really could, as soon as she unlocked the door and climbed in, he was out of Akito's sight, so therefore, he stopped at the wooden walls as Yuri started the engine and backed the car up. When the wheels shifted, she gave Kureno a thankful glance and sped off.
“How could you do this to me Shigure?” Akito asked as he spotted Kureno coming back empty-handed. “Why did you betray me?”
“I did not betray you Akito, how can I when I'm still cursed? We're all cursed, so therefore, we're all on the same side!” Shigure cried.