Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Musouka ~ Dare to Dream ❯ Trust You That I Do ( Chapter 48 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Forty-eight
 
There might still be more for you in life.
 
Shigure Sohma
 
Trust You That I Do
 
“What is it Ayame-baka?” Eriko said with a low tone as she turned a page of her book. The silver-haired twenty-three-year-old silver haired man grinned ear to ear. She was lying on a soft patch of grass underneath a thickly bloomed sakura tree. So far she had been undisturbed, but with the sudden arrival of Ayame and who knows else she was going to find peace and quiet difficult to find.
It was one of those days that Yuri and her parents left Eriko at the Sanotomono estate, Yuri was at school of course with after school tutoring younger kids and her father was once again out of town visiting a sick relative. Sarah was at her own school, tying up some loose ends before the end of the last term came.
“Why hello to you too Eriko-chan!” Ayame cried cheerfully, so far he was the only one she heard come through the gate. Maybe that baka Shigure and Hatori-sempai might just not be there at the time being. The other three, Sunmei, Noami, and Mihoshi were nowhere to be seen either. Eriko recalled Noami saying something about studying for her final exam to graduate as a teacher and Mihoshi was packing up for America, something about voicing her talents. Then there was Sunmei, Eriko had no idea. Maybe with Shigure most likely. Especially with how much they spent time together.
It made her want to gag.
Didn't they see things more reasonably? Like she did? There was no point with those cursed falling for someone that was normal! Eriko's heart seemed to burn with slight animosity that those around her weren't cursed, by something like hers.
“You don't seem very cheerful today,” Ayame pointed out, sitting beside her. She could sense it; he wasn't as cheerful as usual either.
How she knew that, just exposed to how much she had been around him.
Yuri's doing.
“Really? Never knew I was ever cheerful,” Eriko said, not bothering to look up from her book.
“…”
How strange, never was Ayame speechless, not even for a moment. Eriko became suddenly interested in this man's sudden attachment to the silence.
“What did you do?” Eriko finally asked. Ayame jumped, her left brow vanished under her ebony locks as her book was lowered. Touchy he suddenly was, curse her observant skills! She didn't care about him or anyone else.
What was the point?
“I just now realized…what happened,” Ayame whispered. “It was my fault wasn't it?” Now he was blaming himself for something, Eriko jumped to the conclusion that she was dreaming. Having a for once! An extraordinary dream.
Too bad none of them ever lasted if they decided to pay her a visit.
“About?” Eriko sat up a little, losing interest in the novel.
“My brother,” Ayame answered quietly, she needed a moment to remember the boy's name.
“Oh, Yuki wasn't it?” Eriko asked, not even regretting saying the name when Ayame became more downcast. “Is there a reason why you're alone today?”
“I wanted to speak to you…alone, I thought you might be able to help me.” Ayame admitted, Eriko was shocked.
“You're kidding right?” Eriko asked, Ayame looked at her, smiling.
“No, I'm not.”
 
Eriko's hand twitched once more, Hatori looked from the pale hand to the window; it was gloomy once again outside. He hoped that it was sunny and warm in the states, if not, there wouldn't be much to put the children's minds aside from Eriko while they were there. Yet he got news from Yuri yesterday that they were thoroughly enjoying themselves and had made a couple of visits to the beach.
Hatori felt some weight lift from his shoulders. Yet it came back by half when he realized they couldn't stay there forever.
But the fact that Akito wanted Shigure in complete isolation from everyone…even from the Seahorse seemed to slash at Hatori's heart. Even though he hated admit it, he was close to the Dog, and to the Snake. They were the only ones that could understand one another, no matter how misunderstood they were among others.
They were best friends after all.
But what disturbed him was that he was the one…
 
Forced to lock him up…
 
Locked up…
 
It only happened two days ago, and he remembered it as clear as day. He rubbed his temples, that image would never stop haunting him…
 
“You wanted to see me Akito?” Shigure had stated, Hatori stood unnoticed behind the rice paper near Akito's door. Never suspecting his need of the unexpected appointment Akito demanded of Shigure's audience. The man was bathed of course, and dressed in a navy blue kimono with a white sash. The Dog's eyes were wary, as if expecting absolutely anything to come out of Akito's mouth.
It seemed, obvious to Hatori. That Akito had lost all hope and trust in the Dog, not that he ever knew what he was going to do to Shigure. He had never seen Shigure be punished as severely as most of the cursed Sohma family. In fact, it seemed that Akito and Shigure had somewhat of a sibling bond forming. At least until…
The death that changed his life…
Hatori remembered as well as Akito, whom pointed the finger. No one liked that woman anyway. Maybe that was why Akito had finally snapped around Shigure, Hatori's fingers tightened around his cigarette. His hopes becoming slim, Akito was going to do something to Shigure. Not that the question was what? More like when?
“Indeed Shigure,” Akito had whispered, sneering. His eyes full of animosity as his sneer became more darkening. More evil if that was possible. “I want to know of your intentions with Sunmei?” Hatori, like Shigure, was surprised by the question.
He's meddling, Hatori thought with a mental angry sigh.
“I do not desire anything further than gaining back our old relationship Akito, in fact, it seems by bringing us together you have done more good towards us than harm.” Shigure said rather firmly, Hatori dared held his breath.
Please be careful Shigure, the Seahorse thought miserably. Don't forget what happened to me…
“Really?”
“Yes, I suppose I must thank you. For looking out for us and of course, trying to make someone else happy.” Shigure said, no fear was hinted in his voice. Akito sensed it and his sneer curled down.
“Oh? Then are you…happy?” Akito asked.
Silence.
Even the birds that befriended Akito went silent; not even a flutter of wings became apparent. At least until a shatter of glass rang through the room, Hatori had snapped into action.
“Akito!” Hatori cried in warning, but it was too late. “Shigure!” The Dog was clutching his face with both hands; blood was gushing madly through whatever cracks his fingers revealed. Akito stood above him, a vase that once held snapdragons was broken and sharply jagged. Glass littered the floor and Hatori could only hold back his own tears of agony as he rushed to his friends aid.
Shigure refused to release his hands from his face when Hatori tried to pry them away. Shigure whimpered here and there, it was from the stress at that moment did Hatori believe made Shigure transform into a bleeding black dog that was obviously in great pain. Hatori only got to touch him when Akito began to instantly give orders.
“Lock him up in the room next to the Neko room.” It was not a request, and certainly didn't sound like one. Hatori would have shot him a menacing glare but instantly reached for his pocket. “Did you not hear me! Lock him up! NOW!” Hatori winced at the powerful bellow and scooped up the dog and his clothes.
“Hatori there you are-wait…Hatori…?” He was only down the hall, panting as he ran the whole way. Shigure's blood made large blotches on his white coat, and at that moment did Sunmei decide to make her appearance. His back was to her, but she knew instantly something was wrong, especially when blood began dripping on the floor. “Oh my god what's wrong! What did Akito do!?” she ran towards him and grabbed hold of his shoulders to turn him around but at once wish she hadn't. She recognized the dog in his arms immediately and went pale.
“Shi-Shi-gure…Shi-kun…” she choked out, unable to catch her breath as her shaky hands went for the bleeding dog. Instantly a pair of arms launched at her from behind and grasped her and pulled her back. She began to flail. The dog continued to hold his paws over his eyes, only uncovering them to discover a very blurry image of a fighting woman in the arms of a retraining man. The maroon hair alone caught his attention, Kureno.
Hatori's gut told him to run and do what he was told, but unconsciously, he held onto Shigure tighter. He was his best friend…one of the only truest friends he ever met…
“Go Hatori, you know Akito's orders.” Kureno stated quietly in a saddened matter, knowing the voice Sunmei only struggled harder, her eyes becoming bright and teary.
“Get off of me! Shigure's bleeding! He needs my help!” Sunmei cried, trying in vain as to be released from the Rooster. Kureno only gave Hatori a blank stare, rivaling one of Hatori's own. A few servants, whom overheard the screaming Holiday Horse came running to restrain, already informed of Akito's current orders for Shigure. “Let me go! Shigure!”
Sunmei wasn't the only one struggling, Shigure began to whine and whimper, it only made Hatori's heart rip more.
“Go,” Kureno repeated, seeming not to have any trouble with Sunmei whom looked much like an apologizing Ritsu, just more grief striking to look at.
“I'm sorry Sunmei-chan…” Hatori muttered as he turned around and ran Shigure only managed a hardly audible bark at Sunmei and almost nipped at Hatori's arm as he turned a corner. Sunmei's screams of protest were still heard.
“Let me go you bastards! Shigure! Hatori bring him back!” Sunmei cried out loudly.
“You pitiful girl! He's only a mutt! Now come on we need to clean you up! Akito wants you on the other side of the estate!” a servant shouted as one attempted to raise a rag to her cheek. She tried to bite it, but it was only pulled back.
“I don't care what you say! I'm not leaving without Shigure!”
Hatori collapsed to his knees on the room required for the Dog. The room was barren, nothing to keep him busy. Only a lone window, a very small square window in the center of one walls across from the shoji door. Shigure was still held in Hatori's arms, his tail showing no wag. Hatori's head was low, his shoulders shaking slightly. The dog's gaze went from agonizing anger to pure concern as he looked up at his best friend's face.
“I'm sorry Shigure…I'm sorry…” the dog struggled out of his grasp, once he did, he made no attempt to jump out of the room through the still open door they came through. The dog's face still bled, but slowly now.
“Don't worry Haa-san…” the dog spoke, trying to sound happy. Hatori shook his head. “I'm not blind…”
“No, it's the fact you'll be in here…it wasn't a problem before but now…” Hatori managed to choke out, never had he lost control like this, not even after Kana had left him.
“I'm in no trouble Haa-san,” Shigure said, still trying to sound cheerful.
“You're bleeding…” Hatori said, Shigure let out a doggish chuckle. “This isn't funny…”
“I suppose you're right…” Shigure said, finally growing grim. “I'm sorry…”
“For what?” Hatori asked.
“For getting you into this mess Sunmei and myslef had created, you only got jumbled in the middle somehow. I'm sorry friend…” a poof sounded and Shigure was still sitting on his hutches, his bloody expression only inches away from Hatori's face. Hatori could make out where the blood was emerging from, a large slash down from his right temple and down to his chin, another cut down from the same line a little below his eyebrow and made its way to the bridge of his nose. The blood spilled down his face slower than before, but it still managed to drop to the floor. “It's all right…I'll live, just keep Sunny-chan safe for me till I get out of this place `kay?” Hatori wondered where Shigure managed to stay so cheerful, but still look worried all the same. Shigure clasped a hand on Hatori's shoulder.
“I can trust you can do that,” Shigure said with a grin.
“I think you shouldn't get your hopes too high, now put your kimono on, your lucky your blood didn't get all over it…”
 
He hadn't seen Sunmei since those two days ago, he had wrapped most of Shigure's head in white bandages and changed them regularly, there was no infection like he hoped. Thankfully Shigure's eyes were damaged by the impact the vase had made on him, but that scar would be there forever…
He made small crevices for Shigure's eyes, and every time he entered the room, those two eyes peering out from behind the bandages did manage to creep him out as the Dog lay lazily against the wall, looking out at that small window.
But he was the one who locked his friend up, Ayame of course found out, and Hatori's heart only felt heavier as Ayame gave him a strange look he had never known Ayame could reveal. Strange…
He knew where Sunmei was held; she was put into another room on the opposite side of the building Akito lived in.
Now there was only the time of waiting. That was all they needed, a bit of patience. But how Sunmei had looked at him later that day…
 
“Is Shigure all right?” Sunmei asked.
“He'll be fine,” Hatori answered stoically as he shut the door behind him, Sunmei had a wider window that had a good view of the summer garden, not many of the petals bloomed well this year. From this view, he could see Shigure's small window, yet could not see Shigure.
“There will be scarring no doubt.” It wasn't a question, but Hatori nodded anyway.
“I'm afraid his face won't be the same Sunmei,” Hatori spoke gently, waiting for the worst.
“Don't be frightened that I won't care about you anymore Hatori,” Sunmei spoke just as gently. Surprising Hatori. “We've been friends way too long to have something like that tear us apart, and besides…haven't we been through worst?”
“I'm sorry Sunmei…” Hatori finally spoke.
“Hatori?”
“Yes?”
“It's all right, but could you please watch out for Shi-kun. He might just try to pull something you know?” Sunmei said, finally turning towards Hatori, her gray eyes shining brilliantly with silver tears. “Can I trust you to do that for me?”
At that moment, it wasn't Sunmei's tears that hit the floor with a soft `tap'.
 
“Good night guys,” Yuri said as she closed the door tight and locked as she then turned towards the elevators. In another week they would leave and head back for Japan, the majority of them for their final year in high school. Yuri sighed as she pushed a button, when the doors opened the blond girl greeted her. “Evening Aspen,” Yuri greeted warmly but tiredly. The blond girl smiled at the Elephant.
“Same to you, tired?” She asked as the gray-haired girl entered the room.
“You could say that,” Yuri replied as a sudden feeling of stomach rising churned within them.
“An e-mail was sent to you,” Aspen said, her voice revealing a tone of seriousness.
“Oh? From whom?”
“From Hatori,” Aspen explained the events that were held in the past week in the Sohma Estate, Yuri shivered.
“No…”
“Sorry,” Aspen said, “I can only do so much,”
“You are putting in a lot of effort into this for us you know. I really appreciate it and all the help. But I do believe I need some of those answers you hold.” Yuri said, her eyes narrowing at the girl. “I know you your knowledge and experience is of no use by this point, as you already know the cure.”
“Do I?” Aspen asked, looking innocent.
“Don't play dumb, this is a time of great tragic times. I lost a cousin, I don't want to lose anymore people I care about!” Yuri exclaimed as the doors opened and they began walking out. They were on the highest floor of the building, the penthouse. Slowly Aspen led the girl to the penthouse and slid a card through the pad.
“I know what you all are going through, but I can't simply solve it for you. It's not all that easy…” Aspen muttered as the door opened and they walked in. The door automatically shut behind them. “I need to meet with her first.” Yuri looked at her as the blond girl sat on a stool in the kitchen. Already Shoda was sound asleep in his room, his snores lightly heard.
“Who? You don't mean Mei do you?” Yuri asked, “she can't talk-”
“I know,” Aspen said with a smile, a wise glint in her eye. “She's been keeping a close eye on all of you, but her power is limited. It was not strong enough to backfire her daughter's inner demons from killing that boy a while back and neither from murdering Noami.” Yuri winced from the name, Noami…
“Do you know why she was murdered?” Yuri asked, Aspen looked away, probing her mind for an answer.
“She was in the way,” Aspen replied quietly. Yuri looked at her horrified. “The curse doesn't allow obstacles to come in its wake, that's one of the reasons Akito is like she is…” Yuri made a brief nod, but seemed entirely unsure of how to respond. “But despite the fact that she is no longer with us, I don't think I need to tell you that she is still not among us.” Aspen spoke. Yuri became teary as Aspen jumped off the stool and placed a hand on the Elephant's shoulder.
“How can you be so sure that you know of our curse's cure?” Yuri asked, choking back a sob.
“I'm not sure, I'm a hundred percent positive. You just need to wait, it's not that easy even for mystical beings like Inari to work their magic. But when it happens, you'll know.” Aspen spoke, putting a finger to her lips. “Let's keep this between you and me, everyone else will know about me and everything else when the time comes.” With that Aspen walked to the table. She grabbed a mint.
“I just loves these don't you? But only one will do it,” Aspen said as she tore out the red and white mint and popped it into her mouth, the wrapped dropping lazily into the trash can. She stepped towards the balcony's glass doors. With one tug the doors swung open slowly, the evening breeze greeting them along with the bright gibbous.
“Oh, and tell them when you all return to Japan, live all the days they have till that times comes, like they were dyin'. My friends and I will watch out for all of you, I promise. That you can have my trust in.” With a wink the girl ran out of the doors, Yuri jumped.
“What are you-” Yuri ran after her and ran into the railing along the balcony as she scanned the Florida surroundings beneath her. The girl vanished.
“Remember to close the doors behind you and lock them tight!” Yuri looked up looking for the owner of the voice. She was nowhere to be found. Yuri's violet orbs flashed for a moment, then with a smile, leaned on the railing and looked out to sea as a dolphin made its final jump before turning in.
I wonder what made you want to help us in the first place Aspen-chan…
 
But one thing's for sure…
 
I have the feeling that I can trust you…
 
That I am sure I can place in you…
 
Thank you…
 
A/N:
 
I predict at least TWO more CHAPTERS to this SEASON of MUSOUKA! Now here's for a warning, it's just a prediction. I'm not a hundred percent sure. Now before everyone gets ticked, Aspen is not another OC that someone will fall in love with. Think of her as a very good friend that pretty much resembles the Cheshire Cat (or so I will prove later on in the sequel most likely). If you guessed it though, this OC inspired me to dedicate my nickname to!
Now, if any of you have been studying Japanese mythology, you should know that Inari has made quite a few appearances in this story and not only in the chapters I clearly mentioned her. I made several hints to as whom she may be, and I will not reveal them until the sequel so you're just going to have to make `uneducated' guesses right now! Ha ha!
 
Not only that, we'll be focusing on more romance and there will be a Yuki/Machi moment before the end of the story. The sequel also will be involving around mostly the seniors - Yuki, Kyo, Tohru, Uotani, Hanajima, Kakeru, etc. And hopefully I'll be able to finish Eriko's tale as well and have these people living under more `normal' circumstances. There will be a few sequels hopefully and this new character, Aspen will be mentioned here and there. Also, Sano-san will be important in the sequel and around the time Aspen comes around with the cure of the curses. Whether it'll be a true cure, well, the Cheshire Cat never does give straight answers now does he?