Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Push and Pull ❯ On Edge ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
PUSH AND PULL
A Fruits Basket Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
My first Gureru. Also my first Akiru. Confused? You should be, but all shall be explained. This idea was derived from a drabble I wrote and a challenge from Koishii to write something I normally wouldn't write. So here it is. ^^ This part told from Shigure's POV. Standard Disclaimer follows the story.


Part Two - On Edge




What was she thinking?

I watched her walk away, a fake smile plastered to her face. I know it was fake. I know all about fake. I wanted to say something to her, but I couldn't think. I could barely breathe. She needed reassurance and all I could do was sit on my ass while she walked into the kitchen to finish preparing dinner.

Dammit, when did I become such a...such an...adult?!

I picked up the paper to distract myself. I'm never interested in the news, not really. She'd taken what I had to say rather well, even with the fake smile. There were no waterworks. No crying. I could've handled the crying. And her question! Kami, but she caught me off guard. I don't think I've ever sputtered excuses like that in my life!

She hasn't done anything to upset me. On the contrary, life with Tohru is quite comfortable. We have our usual routines. I know I used to always tease Yuki and Kyo about Tohru being my bride. Over these past three years, it's somewhat the case. I enjoy it very much.

Yes, comfortable indeed.

Perhaps...too comfortable.

"OUCH!"

I start as soon as I hear her voice. It's not overly loud, but with my hearing it doesn't have to be. It was a cry of alarm. Of surprise. When I hear no other calls, I stand from the table and walk to the kitchen doorway.

"Tohru-kun? I heard a yelp. Are you all right?" My eyes widen as I realize that her finger is bleeding, the red liquid dripping onto the freshly cut pork. "ARA! You're bleeding!"

"It's just...a small cut," she says, her voice trailing off. In several long strides I'm by her side, her hands gently cupped within my own. I eye the cut dubiously. It's really bleeding, but it doesn't look that bad. Maybe once it's cleaned....

"You should clean and bandage this right away," I reply. Giving it little thought, I grab the dishtowel and hold in against her finger to help stop the bleeding. With her hand in mine, I begin to lead her over to the kitchen doorway. She protests only a little, looking over her shoulder at what should be our dinner cooking.

"But dinner--?!"

She injured and she's worried about dinner? How like Tohru. "Looks like the pork is ruined. I'll call for some take out." I smile at her, pushing her through the doorway with one hand on her lower back. "You need to take care of that cut right away."

She only nods as she heads for the stairs. I watch her walk up to the bathroom. This is what I'd usually get beaten up over, but I have no real hentai intentions this time. I want to make sure she was all right for one. Second, I don't want to let her leave my sight. Not even for a second. She took my words much deeper to heart than I had meant them. Damn, I should've known this would happen. But there's no other way. This is the way it has to be.

Why?

I'm in love with her, that's why.

And Akito...I think he knows.

It was during a conversation we had three days ago. I had gone to him for my usual weekly visit. When that had become a habit, I'm uncertain, but that's beside the point. I'd given him the same report as the week before. Things certainly are quieter at my place without Kyo and Yuki. Yuki had gotten to school and his first week had been grueling, or so he said. I think he's studying far too much, but that's just me.

The last of Kyo's belongings had been moved out the day before Yuki left. It was strange, watching them pack and carry boxes to and from Ha-san's car. They were getting along. Much better than I'd ever seen. I have no idea what happened. I can only hope it lasts.

"And what of Tohru? How is she doing?"

I didn't think anything strange of his question, although perhaps I should have. With a half-hearted smile and a twinkle in my eye, I told him, again, the same as before.

"She's completed her first week at work. I think she loves it. Talks about it all the time."

"Shigure, it must be lonely in that house all by yourself during the day."

I looked at him oddly. "Not really. It's quite cozy actually. I can walk around dressed in whatever, or nothing at all, and work as late, or play as long, as I like. I take care of myself. Tohru-kun takes care of the rest."

Akito frowned at my words. Climbing from his futon onto the floor, he crawled over to where I sat, just feet away. He stared into my eyes, trying to read my soul. Good luck. No one's been able to decode me yet.

"I love you, Shigure."

BLINK. Nani?!? Where the hell had that come from?! And before I could even formulate a response, he grabbed the front of my yukata and pulled me in for a chaste kiss. I managed to keep my body flexible, allowed myself a little of a response, but my mind...it was crying. Weeping. Damn near screaming!

"Akito, I'm sorry to interrupt but you have...a...phone...call."

Neither of us was surprised by Ha-san's sudden appearance. He didn't mean to interrupt I'm certain. But his timing was wonderful. If I had to keep my lips locked onto Akito's for another instant I think I was going to be sick.

And from what I understand, Ha-san's seen more than Akito kissing someone. The details damn near scared me.

Thankfully, I took that opportunity to leave. The call was no doubt about business. With Kureno away at the office today, it was important that Akito take the call, whether he liked it or not. So I stood, dusting off my lap as I did so.

"Shigure?"

I managed another half-hearted smile. "Of course you love me," I replied. There was nothing I could add. And my mind was still reeling. So I turned my back on him and left. No looking back. No more words.

That...was a mistake.

I mentioned none of that to Tohru. But I formulated a plan. If I wanted to keep things happy, then Tohru would have to leave. There was no telling what Akito would do in retaliation, if he did anything at all.

And in that brief instant, I realized...I was in love with Tohru.

I *AM* in love with Tohru.

She has to leave. To keep her safe I have to push her away. And just when I thought something could happen between us. Just when....

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

"I'll get it."

The knocking startles me out of my thoughts. Not as startling as Tohru running down the steps, her finger now bandaged, to answer the door. And wait, when did I sit down at the dining room table again?

"Ne, Tohru, what kind of dinner did you want me to--"

"Konnichi...wa."

But nothing...NOTHING...was as startling as who was standing outside my front door.

"Konnichiwa, Tohru-san. Shigure-san. I haven't interrupted your evening meal, have I?"

Akito.

Too late. It's too late.

"We haven't eaten yet," Tohru explains and I try not to cringe. "Shigure-san is going to call for some take out bento. Would you like to join us?"

Akito smiles. Yes, the little bastard smiles. "If Shigure-san hasn't ordered already, I'd love to join you."

Tohru steps aside and Akito steps into my home. I have to suppress the shivers that knowledge gives me. He's never set foot in this house before, not even while Yuki lived here. So why now? Is this his retaliation for my walking away from him that day? What does he plan to do?

All I can do is play it by ear, and pray to Kami no one gets hurt.

"I'm going to call now," I finally manage to say, forcing a smile. "What would you like?"

"Nothing special. What is it you usually order, Tohru-san?"

"Oh, well, it's not fancy, but I do enjoy the teriyaki chicken," Tohru replies. It's easy to see she's nervous as she fidgets with her fingers behind her back.

"I'll have what she's having then," Akito answers in the same, calm, gentle manner in which he appears. But even I know that it's a lie. "Teriyaki chicken sounds...delightful."

Tohru then has the modesty to blush. That's my Tohru.

My Tohru.

And I intend to keep it that way.



~TO BE CONTINUED~


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). They own furuba. THEM! Not me! *sigh* All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^