Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Rift of White Roses ❯ Momma ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"Momma!" The little boy stood up and ran to Tohru, throwing his arms around her legs. Tohru didn't know what to do.

"Eh!? Uhm, um! N-no! I can't possibly be your mother!" The boy looked up at Tohru, his brown eyes big and starting to well up with tears. He grabbed her skirt and pulled it childishly.

"No! You have to be! Momma has brown hair and brown eyes! Just like you!" Tohru was dumbstruck. He couldn't have been any older the 8 or 9, so she couldn't have had him. She couldn't find comforting words at the moment. The poor schoolgirl was somewhere between awe at the adoreable little boy tugging at her skirt and pure horror that he was in that room by himself, crying. As he continued to cry, soft steps could be heard coming up to them. He stopped immediately and looked over at the newcomer.

"Asato." It was Hatori, who was carrying a piece of cake and a cup of juice, "What are you doing out of your room?"

"H-Hatori-ojisan!" The boy, now Asato, cried, "It's Momma! She came back!"

"I'm sorry Asato." Hatori shook his head slowly, "She not your mother."

There was an awkward silence. Tohru began to say something when Asato burst into a fit of tears, shaking his head and pulling Tohru's skirt.

"No! No! She is! She is! Momma! Momma...." Asato let go of her skirt. His face was red and tear-streaked as he fell to the ground. His cries faded, "Momma..."

Hatori kneeled down beside Asato. Tohru followed suit.

"Asato, go back in your room. What if your father sees you?"

"I don't care!" Asato growled, "How come I have to punished for having parents? It's not fair! I hate Akito! I hate my life!"

"Don't say that." Tohru whimpered, "I'm sure your parents love you very much."

"How can you say that?" Asato wiped the tears from his eyes, "My mother left to travel the world and my father doesn't even know I exist!"

Hatori was finally able to usher Asato back into his room. He handed the little boy his cake and Asato ate it, a little less then reconciled. The doctor explained that, because of his mother's defiancy towards Akito, when Asato was born, he was immediately detained. Afterwards, his mother became very ill because of her loss, so she left to try and get her head clear. It's been eight years since, and she's been waiting to come home for sometime.

"Who is Asato's father?" Tohru asked, hoping that it wasn't too personal.

"The snake." Asato said before picking up his cup of juice.

"The snake..." Tohru echoed. Then it hit her, "Ayame?!"

Hatori nodded. Tohru's mind was sent awry. How could Ayame have a child? To her, he didn't seem to be the fatherly type, though he tried to be a good adult for Yuki. It didn't quite add up. She looked down at Asato. He had long white hair, just like Ayame, but had brown eyes from his mother. That aside, he was still a very beautiful child, such would be from a family like the Sohmas. She wonder why Akito would want to estrange him from his father and mother. As she thought about, she wondered how she would feel, if she was locked away in this room for eight years. Asato was surprised by Tohru hugging him. He blinked and wiggled out of her grip. The girl he had mistaken for his mother was crying.

"Wha-what's wrong with you?!" Asato stammered.

"It's just that, for you to be alone for all these years, without your parents. It's so heartbreaking." She closed her innocent brown eyes, "But I'm sure that your mother truly cares about you and can't wait to see you again! And that your father will love you the moment he sees you! Just keep your hopes up, and you'll come through!"

Asato stared at Tohru for a second. He thought about, then shrugged it off. He finished off his cake and looked at Tohru again. Before he could say anything, another person intruded on them. It was Shigure, pleasantly drunk from some spiked punch that Ayame had handed around. He walked over to Asato, kneeling down and ruffling his hair.

"Gure-ojisan!" Asato protested, pushing the dog away, "You smell like alchohol!"

"Ah, Asato-chan!" Shigure hiccuped and fell back, barely able to hold himself up. He slowly went to his back and stayed there, "How are you feeling, Asato-chan?"

"Embarassed." Asato hissed.

'Wow.' Tohru thought, 'He's more like Yuki than Ayame. Hehe. I wonder if he'll ever be allowed to see his father?'

"Excuse me." Tohru snapped out of her thoughts and looked over at Asato, "I never asked you name."

"Eh?....EH?! Oh! I'm Tohru Honda! It's very nice to meet you!" she bowed and sweated.

"Tohru.....-oneesan."

"EEH!?!" Tohru cried, flattered, "Oh no! I couldn't possibly be an older sister! I mean I-"

"Tohru-oneesan" Asato smiled. He liked the way it sounded. Tohru blushed. He seemed even more adoreable when he smiled. Tohru smiled back. She happy that she could bring a smile to his face.

"Well, I believe it's time that you and Shigure left before he falls asleep in here." Hatori helped Shigure up and out. Tohru followed them, but not before Asato tugged on her skirt. She turned around and was met by melancholy brown eyes.

"Please... help me... I don't want to be in here anymore." Tohru didn't know what to say, and had no time to think of anything. Yuki was coming down the hall. She hurried out of the room and shut the door.

"Honda-san?" Yuki said, watching her warily, "What are you doing?"

"Oh! I got lost!" She lied.

"?... Well, let's go home." As they walked away from the main house, Yuki looked back over his shoulder. 'That room...' he thought.

*~*fin*~*

Iris: I would like everyone to meet Sasame, my Windows XP.

Sasame: Hello. *blush*

Iris: Isn't he the cutest?