Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Scared To Want You ❯ Epilogue ( Epilogue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I still don't own this. (damn)
 
Epilogue
 
<…and more devastation hits this little town, as last night, young Anko Kimura was caught drunk driving by the local police. In an effort to flee from the officers, she sped 30 miles per hour over the speed limit, resulting in tearing down a quiet road at no less than 80 miles per hour. Kimura says she swerved to miss a dog in the middle or the road, which resulted in the collision of her car into a busy intersection, and ultimately, killing a young woman with her reckless driving. Akito Sohma, only 19, was rushed to the hospital after the ambulance arrived, but her doctor, and one of her family, says that her body was already sickly and weak, explaining why she was not able to recover from her surgery. Sohma died this morning at 2:48--->
 
Yuki dragged himself off of the couch and pushed the off button on the TV. He sighed and stretched, walking into the kitchen. The kitchen of Kyo's house.
 
He pulled a bowl of pre-made curry from the fridge and stuck it in the microwave, taking care to remember every step of instructions for using the microwave.
 
1. Remove the covering on the food 2. Make sure the plate or bowl is microwave proof (check the bottom) 3. Place it at the center of the glass plate in the microwave 4. Never set the timer for more than a minute at a time 5. Test the food before putting it back into the microwave 6. Stir after each minute to regulate heating of the food 7. Never, ever, ever put anything metal in the microwave
 
Yuki smirked and set the timer for three minutes. He knew that curry always took three minutes. Kyo's recipe always did, and always would. The rules of using the microwave were posted up on the refrigerator at all times, and after setting the stove on fire, Yuki wasn't allowed to use the stove, oven, toaster, or anything else electrical in the kitchen. He was only allowed to use the microwave, and only if he followed the rules exactly. He smiled, Kyo meant well, but sometimes it was just annoying.
 
The news floated back into his mind as the aroma of the curry began to fill the kitchen, and Yuki's brow furrowed at the intruding and perfectly unwelcome thoughts.
 
… Akito's dead… so why aren't I sad? Screw sad, why am I happy?
 
The door clicked, something crashed, and Yuki had to smile at the string of colorful phrases and swears spewing from the front hall. That was why. The person in there—who had no doubt knocked over yet another vase—was his reason for being happy.
 
The second Kyo had turned 18, he had moved out of Shigure's house and down to where Master lived. He'd bought his own house with the money he'd inherited from his father, who had killed himself not two weeks later, and had taken over the dojo when Master had injured his leg on the stairs.
 
Yuki had always been a little jealous of their differences in age. August 15th, verses August 29th, there wasn't a big difference, but it was still 14 days. Kyo would always be 14 days older than Yuki was.
 
14 days ago, Kyo had turned 19, and today, Yuki was finally catching up to the cat. Today was August 29th.
 
“Are you alright?” Yuki called down the hallway as Kyo still hadn't appeared.
 
Silence.
 
“Kyo?” Yuki moved away from his lax position leaning against the counter and leaned around the doorframe, catching sight of the vase on the floor.
 
He picked it up—thankfully in one piece—and looked further down the hallway. “Kyo?” he called unsurely, much louder this time.
 
And then he caught sight of it, the orange hair on the floor, and Kyo's hand sprawled out next to it.
 
“Kyo!” Yuki raced around the corner and slid to the floor, placing his hands on either side of Kyo's head. “Kyo? Kyo!”
 
Yuki's oncoming panic attack was brought to an abrupt halt when the cat… chuckled.
 
Yuki sat back, his hand fisting as he tried not to hit Kyo. “You're joking?” he asked dangerously.
 
Kyo grinned impishly up at him before sliding his fingers around the back of Yuki's neck and pulling him down for a light kiss.
 
“I'm fine.” He assured Yuki, pushing himself up off the floor. “Did I break that thing?”
 
“The vase is fine.” Yuki said curtly. “Though I'm not so sure how `fine' other things are going to be after I'm done with them.”
 
Kyo rolled his eyes and stood, offering a hand to Yuki. Yuki sighed in defeat and took it, letting the flame-haired boy help him up.
 
Kyo looked up to the ceiling and sniffed. “You're not cooking, are you?” he asked warily.
 
“Just the microwave.” Yuki headed back towards the kitchen, shooting the cat a dark glare when he sighed in relief.
 
“So, I heard something interesting from Tohru today.” Kyo began, walking into the kitchen and pulling open the fridge, looking for dinner.
 
“Akito died.” Yuki finished blandly, pulling his curry from the microwave and tipping the bowl back against his lips, not even bothering to look for a spoon as he sipped the broth.
 
Kyo tripped over his own feet, and went flying, managing to catch himself and set the things on the counter before regaining his balance.
 
“How did…?” he asked when he'd finally gotten himself upright.
 
“Telepathy.” Yuki smirked, taking another sip of the broth. Kyo's expression didn't change from his clearly dubious thoughts. Yuki rolled his eyes. “The news.” He said around a piece of meat.
 
“Oh.” Kyo paused, and then went back to finding a pot to heat up the rest of the curry. He poured the food into a pot and plucked Yuki's bowl from his fingers, adding it to the rest in the pot.
 
“What if I was sick?” Yuki asked tartly, missing the food, as his hunger was really starting to be a nuisance.
 
“Wouldn't matter. I already had my tongue in your mouth when you thought I died from falling.” Kyo smirked playfully at Yuki over his shoulder, stirring the contents of the pot out of the corner of his eye.
 
Yuki flushed a deep shade of red and whirled, stomping into the living room. “Why do you have to be so blunt?!” he demanded, flopping down on the couch in a huff.
 
“Because I like seeing you go the color of Tohru's pink apron that Shigure gave her.” Kyo appeared in the doorway, leaning casually against the wood. Yuki went even redder at the statement.
 
“Why don't I have any… remorse?” he asked abruptly, his voice dead. There was no emotion, it was just… dead.
 
“Huh?”
 
“…For… Akito… I feel like I should…” Yuki's voice faded away, trying to understand the feelings whirling in his head at the moment.
 
“Care or something?” Kyo offered, snorting when Yuki nodded. “Well, I don't if it makes you feel better.”
 
“Actually, it does.” Which makes it feel that much worse.
 
Kyo walked over and flopped down on the couch next to Yuki. “Hard to care about someone when they treated you like crap all your life, huh?”
 
Yuki nodded, leaning back so his shoulder brushed against Kyo's.
 
“Well, I guess we don't have to stay a secret anymore, huh?” Yuki laughed nervously.
 
“Master already knows about us.” Kyo looked over confusedly at him.
 
“I meant everyone else.” Yuki rolled his eyes.
 
“Oh.” Kyo murmured, a small, nervous crack in his voice.
 
“I'm pretty sure they all have already figured it out. I've been `caught' in your house one too many times.”
 
“More like a hundred.” Kyo corrected, sniffing the air and rising from the couch to go stir the curry.
 
Yuki watched him go longingly, instantly missing the cat's presence. He shifted slightly on the couch, moving onto the warmth where Kyo had been sitting. He sighed and leaned back against the couch, melting into the cushions.
 
Who would have ever thought he'd fall in love with the cat? Maybe Kagura was right, the hatred between the cat and rat had gone on long enough.
 
“So then, if everyone knows… why bother leaving here? I mean, do you really want to go back to the main house? Or Shigure and Tohru's?” Kyo called from the kitchen.
 
“Are you…” Yuki blinked, daring it to be true, “asking me to… move in with you?”
 
Silence.
 
“You're already here a weeks at a time, telling everyone crap about your job and an apartment building and stuff, so why not?” Kyo defended himself haughtily from the kitchen as Yuki rose silently and tiptoed into the kitchen, waiting until the cat had put down the ladle before he grabbed Kyo's shoulders and spun him, slamming his lips firmly over the cat's.
 
“I thought I was going to have to move myself in if you didn't ask.” He whispered huskily. It didn't take Kyo's mind long to catch up to him, and he pushed Yuki back up against the wall, sliding his hands up under the rat's shirt.
 
A knock at the door stopped them abruptly, and Kyo growled, pulling his hand slowly from Yuki's chest, dragging his nails lightly along Yuki's skin as he did. Yuki glared at his smug smirk, cursing the interrupting, bad-timed idiot at the door.
 
He followed Kyo around into the hallway and immediately took back what he had thought, well, half of it at least.
 
Tohru waved happily from the doorway, Shigure right by her side.
 
“Hope you boys don't mind if we drop in?” Shigure smiled. “We were in the neighborhood and---”
 
“Oh give me a break and just come in, your letting in all the hot air.” Kyo rolled his eyes and marched back to the kitchen. Yuki aimed a kick at his shins as he walked by. Yes, he didn't want to be interrupted either, and yes, he didn't want Shigure standing in the doorway letting all the muggy August air into the closed-up, cool house, but he wasn't being an ass about it either.
 
“How far along are you Tohru?” Yuki asked nicely, leading the newest member of the Sohma family into the living room.
 
She reached down and touched her growing stomach. “About six months, wont be long now.” She beamed brightly at him, kneeling with a little difficulty at the table.
 
Even more strange then him and Kyo getting together, or Ayame and Mine getting married, was Tohru and Shigure. It was obvious Tohru had loved Kyo first, but after he moved out and Tohru no doubt began picking up on what was going on between Yuki and Kyo, she moved on and somehow fell in love with Shigure. Tohru could be clueless at times, but she wasn't oblivious. Not only that, but Tohru was very pregnant, due on November 23rd, only three short months away. It was obvious that Shigure had always cared about Tohru, but Yuki honestly had been stunned speechless when Tohru had called and somehow got him to understand (through her crying, hyperventilating and yelling) that she and Shigure were getting married.
 
“We can't stay long, but we did want to stop in and see if you two were busy.” Shigure smiled innocently.
 
Damn Shigure. Yuki scowled. The idiot apparently still hadn't outgrown his ability or need to slip perverted things into his sentences, and probably never would. And by the look of Kyo's glare and Tohru's unwavering smile, Kyo had heard it, and it had flown twenty feet over Tohru's head.
 
“Yes, you were meeting Hatori and Ayame for lunch, right?” Tohru clapped her hands together in front of her.
 
“That's right, at about noon, so we should leave---” Shigure took her hand.
 
“Now!” Kyo jumped up. “The traffic around here is insane this time of year, even the train has a waiting line to get on it, you should get a head start, get there a little early just to piss Hatori off, he hates not being the first to dates and things like that.” Kyo walked towards the door, spitting out reasons for them to leave like an overflowing fountain.
 
“Now Kyo-Kyo, you wouldn't be trying to get rid of us, would you? Oh, and speaking of us,” he paused, “Yuki, we've been seeing you around here a lot, haven't we?”
 
Oh good bloody lord, here it comes.
 
“I was just curious, obviously you have no need to hide anything now that Akito has passed away… is anything going on between you two?” his smile nearly blinded everyone in the room in all of its fraud.
 
“Something.” Yuki agreed quietly, sipping his tea.
 
“Oh?” Shigure prompted, sighing when no one said anything else. “Because Kagura was curious, and I told her I would find out, but if I don't go back home with sufficient information, she might feel the need to come down here herself.”
 
The air instantly dropped a good thirty degrees, and was followed by the thunder of footsteps.
 
“You brought her along with you, didn't you?!” Kyo yelled, his voice disappearing up the stairs. “Shit, I've been avoiding her for two years!”
 
Yuki's eyes flicked back from the hallway, and then his glare zeroed in on Shigure's amused smile.
 
“I'd appreciate if you didn't do that.” Yuki said dryly, placing his cup on the table.
 
Shigure just chuckled, and Tohru looked between Yuki, Shigure and the stairs in turn frantically.
 
Yuki sighed. “Yes, there is something between us, but no one will know from us until we're both ready to reveal it.”
 
“That kind of gives it away Yuki.” Shigure raised his tea to his lips.
 
“I didn't say I wanted to hide anything, because we don't need to for our safety anymore, but I don't know about him.”
 
Shigure nodded. “I understand, it was quite the horror for me when our dear sweet Tohru said that she wanted to be married early, rather than wait until Akito accepted her more into the family, but we can't protect the ones we love forever Yuki. Sometimes… we have to trust that they know what to do, and more often than not, they do know.”
 
Yuki nodded at Shigure's first genuine smile, tracking the dog as he rose.
 
“Well,” Shigure looked at the clock, “I do have a lunch with Hari and Aya, and I also need to meet with my editor, and Tohru is seeing Hari later for her six-month checkup. I suppose we must be going.”
 
“It was nice to see you again Mrs. Sohma.” Yuki stood as Shigure helped Tohru up.
 
“Oh, no! Just Tohru is fine, really!” Tohru blubbered embarrassedly, waving her hands like a lunatic in front of her.
 
“It was good to see you again Yuki, you and Kyo should come visit the main house more often now that… well, now that there really isn't any reason to avoid it anymore.”
 
Yuki nodded. “We'll try, and…”
 
“We'll tell you when the next god is born. Who knows, it might be our little child.” Shigure patted Tohru on the head, making her blush flame on her cheeks. The two waved goodbye, Tohru still waving even as they were walking away down the street to the train station.
 
Yuki sighed and looked back to the stairs, smiling accusingly as Kyo walked warily down the stairs.
 
“She isn't here, you know.”
 
“Shut up!” Kyo barked, instantly on the defensive. “I knew that!”
 
“Sure.” Yuki sighed, walking back to the kitchen and sitting down at the table to finish his tea.
 
“So… you know what today is, right?” Kyo sat down across from him.
 
“Of course, you've been giving me hell the past fourteen days about being older than me, and that ends today. I'm nineteen along with you now.” Yuki smirked to himself.
 
Kyo reached into his cargo pants pocket and pulled out an envelope.
 
“I said not to get me anything---” Yuki began a futile attempt at a protest.
 
“I said that too, but did you listen? No, of course not, so if you think I was going to just skip over your birthday, you're an idiot.” Kyo stared blandly back at him, laying the envelope down on the table.
 
“You already asked me to move in with---”
 
“That was the beginning of your present, quit bitching and just open the damn envelope.” Kyo slid it across the table so it thunked into Yuki's wrist.
 
Yuki glared halfheartedly at his lover, inwardly, his heart sinking as no ring was visible through the backlighting of the envelope as he lifted it, but he tore open the seal anyway.
 
“A key?” he pulled out the small piece of metal.
 
“I can't leave the house open all the time for you.” Kyo scoffed. “And you should get the rest of your stuff in here.”
 
“Is this for me moving in---”
 
Tap.
 
Yuki dared himself to look, and his eyes dragged up to a small box that had been placed in front of him on the table. His throat was too dry to swallow, though his tongue was screaming for him to as his hand reached out, trembling slightly, and lifted the box off the table.
 
It was simple, a small, blue, velvet box, no bigger than an inch and a half by an inch and a half, but the tiny box still had Yuki's heart hammering like a jackhammer.
 
His finger traced the top of the box, before slowly pulling it open.
 
The ring was… he didn't even know how to describe it. It was a silver band, with a diamond tucked gently into the metal. Nothing too elaborate… exactly the way he'd wanted it. Kyo really knew him better than he thought.
 
“Is this…?” Yuki looked up at Kyo, finding the cat staring embarrassedly at the wall.
 
Kyo shrugged. “I had a bunch of extra money left over from my old man, so---”
 
Yuki launched himself across the table and into Kyo's arms, who luckily had fast enough reflexes to catch him and brace himself for the impact, but Yuki still sent them sprawling over the living room floor.
 
Yuki was frantically kissing the cat like this was his last day on earth, practically eating Kyo alive, and Kyo wasn't doing much to hold back either.
 
Yuki latched onto Kyo's shoulders and rolled them, wrapping his legs around the cat's waist.
 
Kyo laughed, detaching Yuki's legs from him. “It's your turn.” He whispered into the rat's ear and flipped them again, so Yuki was on top.
 
Yuki wasted no time in pulling Kyo's shirt over his head and discarding it somewhere in the kitchen.
 
“I love you.” He whispered, nipping at Kyo's ear.
 
“I love you too.” Kyo said back, wrapping his fingers around the hem of Yuki's shirt and pulling it over his head. “Now shut up and fuck me.”
 
Yuki laughed and dove for the Kyo's neck, sucking and biting at the tender skin.
 
I'm getting married.
THE END!