Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Seasons of Sorrow ❯ Embers of Summer's Glory = In Our Family ( Chapter 54 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I welcome all who trespass my domain…my story…my OCs…my devious mind. I think I've said this before… Anyway, Fruits Basket characters are not mine to own but to borrow.
 
 
Embers of Summer's Glory
Chapter 54: In Our Family
 
`This is the address. Large home…walled property…excessive security cameras…typical Sohma home.' Shifting his gift back to his other hand, Yuki rang the intercom at the gate's walkway entrance. Thankfully he didn't have to go through the driveway to walk up to the house.
 
“Sohma Residence. Please state your purpose.”
 
`Direct…okay.' Clearing his voice, he spoke out, “Good afternoon. My name is Sohma Yuki. I have an appointment with Sohma Seto-san.”
 
“One moment, please.”
 
The pause that followed could only be termed as `indefinite'. He stood waiting for further response from the intercom, vainly trying to hide from the security camera at the post of the entrance. After graduating, he realized that he had developed an aversion to cameras, his insane fan club having driven him to it with their antics.
 
Sighing heavily, he waited patiently. The drone-like voice of the maidservant didn't return after five minutes. He started to pace after ten minutes, leaning against the gate after fifteen minutes. Finally, after thirty minutes, he hunched down on his heels, careful to keep his pristine attire clean. Thirty-five minutes and he was now fanning himself with a paper napkin that he alternately used to pat his face dry under the summer sun. He had known this would happen…nothing ever went right when dealing with this man, directly or indirectly.
 
It was a profound surprise when he was roused early yesterday morning by the incessant ringing of his cell phone. He knew something was amiss when he received a formal summons to the Honke by Kureno, who refused to comment any further. He wondered about the formality, but it was soon explained when he arrived at the main estate.
 
Akito was brief and to the point on that day. All in all, he only stayed there for about five minutes before being let go to tend to his class at the dojo. She told him that he was to have a private interview with Sohma Seto, no further explanations given other than he should `behave as one befitting the esteemed position of the Nezumi in the Jyuunishi's circle' and to be nicely dressed. No more, no less.
 
So, after much pondering and guessing of what this `interview' would be about and still no closer to an answer, here he was the following day in this summer heat, dressed formally in his usual long-sleeved silk mandarin outfit that his brother made for him just before the trip. Perfect for the formal occasion, just not for being outdoors during the summer's hottest month. He could only hope that his pointed glare into the camera is reaching those people behind the lens. He ought to just ring their intercom repeatedly just to irritate them. But being spiteful just wasn't in him at the moment…he's too dehydrated to care anymore, so instead he eyed the object in his hands.
 
Give him a test, and he'd pass with flying colors…give him an audience, and he'd give them a speech that was perfect…hell, give him an irate Neko, and he'd beat the Cat into submission (or into unconsciousness, which was usually the case)…but give him this `interview' to attend, and he's a mess. He inwardly blamed Akito's insecurity and goodness knows what else for `sheltering' him as much as she did in the past and even now to a point, thus his lack of social skills. But laying blame now was of little help to him. Instead he sought the one person that he knew would give him the best counsel as she always did.
 
He was thankful for Tohru's advice when he called her yesterday in the evening to explain to her that he'd never had to pay such a formal visit on his own to a household such as Seto's (that plus he needed directions to the man's home which he knew she possessed since she worked with the family). The gift in his hand was one of her ideas and a good idea at that. She remarked that it was a way of paying his respects to the host when he made the formal introductions with them.
 
Confident with her knowledge on the matter, he rose early this morning and after much perusing and thought, he bought the rather expensive gift at an antiques store. He freshened up at home, and after having a blissful nap on a Sunday afternoon, he got dressed and left for his appointment. That was over three hours ago…two of those hours spent aimlessly walking (sadly, Tohru's directions hadn't improved over the years) and getting very lost.
 
`I think Tohru-san must have given me the directions to her grandfather's home instead…this drawing looked familiar.' Heaving a heavy sigh, he shoved the paper back into his shirt pocket as he shifted his weight on his sore heels, mentally cursing the shoemakers for not making a more comfortable sole. After those two pointless hours, he had taken the cab to avoid the early evening crowd, and, following a quick call to Kureno (who was definitely laughing even if he denied it), he arrived at the correct address. How interesting that the home was a good distance away from the Honke…but that could be because Tohru's directions had taken him to the other side of town in the opposite direction.
 
“Sohma Yuki?”
 
The sudden question from behind startled him. He quickly got to his feet and turned around to face the woman addressing him. She was of average height, her smooth black hair kept chin-length short, and dressed in a simple light green summer yukata. She returned his shocked stare with one of her own, but that completely changed to a look of fondness. Baffled at the changed in her gaze, he was about to introduce himself but instead she immediately blushed and entered the access code to open the gate door.
 
“Please forgive the rudeness of my staff…I assure you they were properly reprimanded, Yuki-sama,” she stated in a soft tone as she lowly bowed after the gate opened.
 
`Eh…she already knew my name? They must have told her. So formal, too…' Deciding to let the slight on his person from rude servants to rest, he respectfully bowed in greeting, smiling serenely. “Good afternoon, my name is Sohma Yuki, and I have an appointment with Sohma Seto-san today.”
 
“Hai, please follow me, Yuki-sama. This heat must be unbearable for you by now after all that waiting,” she remarked as she hastily led him down the walkway into the house. “I sincerely do apologize once again. I am so embarrassed to say the least, especially after all the preparations we made for your arrival today.”
 
Yuki was too busy trying to keep up with her brisk pace across the grounds to offer any response on his part. He observed how she was in full command at the moment, politely addressing him but also quickly directing the groundskeepers to close the gate and calling out to a wandering servant to have the kitchen staff prepare refreshments and deliver them to the guest parlor. Each and everyone simply nodded and scurried off to complete the given task, reminding him of the environment at the Honke.
 
And as such, upon entering the home, he was accustomed to seeing the simple elegance throughout the décor. However, unlike the Honke, not many things here screamed that they were old and forbidden to be breathed on. It was definitely more modern, even some Western influences could be seen here and there.
 
He didn't dwell much on this as he was taken to a room that he assumed was the guest parlor, light-colored wood paneled walls with two sofas facing each other and a low wooden table in the middle. It was here that his escort kindly excused herself.
 
“Please forgive me, Yuki-sama, but I need to take care of a few personal matters at the moment. Masako…” she called out to the maidservant coming across the hallway with the refreshments. As she neared, she remarked, “This is Sohma Yuki. Please take care of our honored guest until I return.” Turning to him, she smiled in assurance. “Please feel free to ask her for anything while I'm gone. I will return shortly.”
 
Nodding in understanding, he saw her walk off briskly and leaving him alone with the elderly maidservant. He felt her piercing stare (mainly at his hair…the curiosity never ends), but also sensed the shift in her attention to the refreshments she brought in. After having sat down, the maidservant promptly served him his cold tea and snacks, and then stood away off to the side.
 
He ignored the uncomfortable atmosphere in favor of delicately sipping (more like gulping) his tea. He was awfully thirsty…summer heat forgave no one. He stared at his empty cup, and fidgeted slightly before the maid wordlessly refilled his cup. He smiled gratefully in thanks before drinking his tea, slowly this time around. He never noticed how much his smile had taken the edge off the stiff-standing maid, she now rather curious of him rather than apprehensive.
 
`Strange hair color, but his manners at drinking his tea are impeccable. And not one crumb on him from eating his sweet bean cakes. Obviously well-raised…a true Sohma.' Despite that, though, Masako asked, “Are you of close relation to the family, young Master Sohma?”
 
Putting his plate and fork down, he wiped his mouth clean before responding to the elderly woman's question. It wasn't exactly normal for a servant to ask such a question, but then again she seemed genuinely curious, not condescending as others in the past have been. He had no problems answering questions regarding his family relations.
 
“Please, `Yuki' is fine. And I'm not too close in relation to this family in particular. I mainly reside at the Honke,” he settled on stating before taking further sips of his tea.
 
Well, that explained many things. Her family line had served the Sohma line for many generations, and one consistent oddity about the prestigious family is that those that resided at the Honke kept strictly to themselves, even amongst such a private family such as their clan. They only opened up to the heads of the outlying Sohma family branches at the New Year's Eve festival.
 
“Heh…after all my years here with the family, I've never once met a Sohma from the Honke. My lady was not exaggerating…he truly is an honored guest. And rather…sweet, too.' Feeling the leftover tension leave her weary bones, she smiled and bowed her head in deference. “Thank you, young Master Yuki…and my name is Ota Masako, head of the household staff here. I've served this family for many years…so please, at any time during your stay, feel free to call upon my services. It would be an honor to serve you.”
 
He returned the fond smile, vaguely recalling how much her demeanor reflected that of other Sohma family members that were more or less aware of his position in the family. He wasn't comfortable with it, but he'll tolerate their deference to him with the same respect. “Thank you, Ota-san.”
 
The remainder of their time together was spent in comfortable silence.
 
“Masako…”
 
“Please excuse me, young Master Yuki.” Masako swiftly left his side, looking back only once before leaving the room. She then turned to her mistress who had changed into an elegant summer kimono. “Hai, Kumiko-sama?”
 
Checking that their guest was comfortable, Kumiko quietly closed the door and whispered conspiratorially, “Well, tell me, what do you think? I know you too well…and your personal impressions are never wrong. How is he?”
 
Masako just shook her head at the eagerness in her mistress' voice. She nonetheless gave her the answer she wanted. “Strange hair color, but ultimately he's a breath of fresh air the clan needs. I'm pleased that he's from the Honke. He will do very well there.”
 
Clasping her hands with unbridled joy shining in her eyes, she softly laughed and leaned into the elder servant's ear as she whispered, “More than just `well', Masako…he's to be the next head of the clan.”
 
Leaving the maidservant in shock, she proudly smiled at her success of surprising Masako and went into the parlor to see to her important guest. Noting that he was staring at one of her father's oil paintings, she commented as she got closer, “Otou-san was of a nature to paint fish ponds and flower blossoms of all sorts. He indulged in it as much as he could, even when he became too sick. He always said that to give up what he loved to do would be a true death.”
 
Seeing his quiet understanding of her remarks, she formally introduced herself, only recalling during her change of dress and freshening up that she had failed to do so when she had met him at the gate. Honestly, her embarrassment knew no bounds today. She smiled widely and once again bowed low at the waist before sitting opposite him. “Sohma Kumiko, lady of this house. It's a pleasure and an honor to have your acquaintance. Welcome to my home, Yuki-sama. And please, feel free to address me by my name.”
 
“Oh…yes…please forgive my intrusion into your home, Sohma-san…eh, Kumiko-san,” finally remarked Yuki, his thoughts addled and making no sense to him now. He settled for the usual formality of introducing oneself into the home of their host. He desperately wished that his social skills would catch up one day with everybody else's.
 
“No, not at all, Yuki-sama. I ask for your forgiveness. I was horribly dressed earlier…you must think of me as being a mess. I assure you the mess I found in cleaning out my youngest son's closet full of old toys demanded it. When I was informed of a visitor at the door, I just simply rushed out when I saw you through the security camera.” She narrowed her gaze at her teacup, a tightening of her lips indicating she was displeased. To think that the excuse of her security guards was that he looked `suspicious' and therefore refused him entry! She will see to it that they not only get two week's without pay, but also cutting their salaries for a certain time. She paid way too much for them to have insulted the one visitor she'd been hoping to have for years. “I will definitely reconsider their continuing employment in my house.”
 
Yuki himself wasn't too thrilled with those that left him out to bake in the sun, but he did feel a little sorry if he had indirectly made them lose their jobs. Shaking away the thought, he smiled. “Thank you for your hospitality, Kumiko-san. Here, please…this is for you.”
 
His smile quickly deflated the boiling anger in her chest at certain subordinates. She was happily surprised to see him present her with a gift. Certainly someone of his stature needn't bother with an introductory gift. She took it nonetheless and set it to the side reverently. “Thank you very much, Yuki-sama…you are most kind. I can see why my youngest has taken such a shine to you.”
 
“Your `youngest'? He knows me?” asked Yuki warily. He only remembered Tetsuya as being the son of Seto and obviously hers. He idly wondered if he'll see him here, too…
 
“Of course! Yunosuke-kun is constantly telling me his stories of what goes on at his practice at Kazuma-san's dojo. You being his teacher for the summer had made him the happiest boy I've ever seen.” Setting her cup down, she politely inclined her head and went on, “I'd like to thank you for that…lately around here it's been hectic, what with his older brother too busy practicing for the tournament aside from tending to his duties at their father's office.”
 
`Heh, I didn't think to look into my student's personal records. That was dumb of me.' He held his hand out to her, expressing wordlessly that no thanks was necessary. “I'm glad I get to work with such fine students. Your son is remarkable with his leadership skills. I'm sure to miss him once my position is deferred to Shihan when the tournament is over.”
 
“I'm sure he'll feel the same about you.” Taking another sip, she momentarily pondered on whether to pursue her next line of thought, uncertain how he'd take it. She knew so much about him but yet little of who he is, if that made sense. She forged ahead. “I hope my husband's interview with you later on will not disturb you. It's merely a formality, I assure you.”
 
`A formality…of what?' Since she brought up the subject, he ventured to ask her the questions that were plaguing him. Keeping his tone neutral and free of any frustration, he replied, “I'm sorry, but I've been rather kept in the dark of what this is all about. I wouldn't know how to discuss this any further.”
 
Smiling ruefully, she nodded in full understanding. “I see. Then allow me to clarify a few things for you. I am well aware of your…`station', to be tactful. It was my father that had held the `station' of the Dragon, or technically the Seahorse, prior to Hatori-sensei. He was a wonderful man and sorely missed by his only child.”
 
Seeing his confusion compounded with a multitude of questions, she went on, “The lives of the previous members that held the Jyuunishi stations are not spoken of, as you well know, considered highly taboo when the Jyuunishi spirit is reintroduced into the family through another member. However, on the business side of things, my father held a position on the Board of Elders, which was passed down to me when he passed away.”
 
Yuki thought hard of the meeting he attended with the Board of Elders. He didn't remember seeing her or any other woman. “You weren't present in the last meeting.”
 
She nodded in agreement and was pleased that he was holding himself up maturely instead of making demands as any teen would. Family matters were always delicate (especially the more touchy subject concerning the Jyuunishi), and she had no intention of supporting a clan head that couldn't show discretion or careful handling of them. Despite the infamous clashes with Seto or others that insisted on contradicting her, Akito was capable of using her cunning mind to outwit those that would try to manipulate her for their own purposes, which she had proven time and again in many a board meeting. Such a brilliant mind is what kept the clan united under her control, whether it was welcomed or not.
 
`Akito-sama's obsessive hold over the Jyuunishi, for better or for worse, is known to so few of us. In Yuki-sama's case, she kept him hidden from the very few of us that knew about him. To keep the famous Nezumi away from prying eyes for so many years, only to be forced to release him amongst us…how she must hate it so.'
 
Clasping her hands together on her lap, she recalled where she was on that day of the last board meeting. “I wasn't able to patch into the teleconference… I should have been there. I apologize. Yunosuke-kun had a doctor's appointment that I couldn't cancel out of.”
 
“Does…he…does your son know?” he asked cautiously, the revelations she'd been revealing slowly being accepted in his mind.
 
“No…just myself and my husband.” Taking a sip of her tea, she relaxed further into her seat, staring listlessly at the painting Yuki had just admired.
 
She smiled sadly when she thought of her father. He was the gentlest soul anyone could hope to come across. Never once did he make her feel less than she was…the daughter of such an extraordinary Jyuunishi, the Dragon, with the claws that severed the ties of memories to their owners.
 
Her father laughed heartily at the descriptive words she used for his inherent ability to suppress memories. Though he did point out that he was simply a very tiny Seahorse that could easily be squished under someone's toes. Not exactly the sort of being that struck fear in people's hearts when faced with his base form…she herself giggled at his expense a time or two when she ran into him accidentally.
 
“You know…the one thing Otou-san regretted most was never seeing the Nezumi happy in his generation. The previous member that held the Nezumi spirit before you was already frail and very ill despite his young age, no more than ten while Otou-san was a young boy of five. It broke my father's heart, so my father asked him why he was so sad.” She looked to her teacup as she recalled this long ago conversation with her father…words spoken then that she hoped to share with the next Nezumi when the time came. She sensed Yuki listening to her every word, and so she went on.
 
“The boy smiled brokenly and simply said that `she didn't come'. Otou-san didn't understand what he meant. It wasn't until years later that the possibility dawned on him…the `God' of the Jyuunishi had not shown its presence in many generations. But it wasn't usual for the `God' to be a female, so he wasn't certain. It didn't matter in the end…the family as a whole was in despair… They faced ruin back then…an incomplete Jyuunishi circle and the Nezumi was dying. It was the worst of omens, but also expected…the Nezumi rarely made it to their preteen years without the presence of the `God'. Such a strange contrast when compared with the station of the Neko or any of the other stations who lived well beyond their nineties regardless of the `God's' presence.”
 
She looked to Yuki then, holding his mesmerizing gaze evenly, wanting to look into his colored eyes as she said the rest. It was time to test the true depth of the Nezumi spirit before her. “Otou-san always maintained that the Nezumi were predisposed to searching for the other half to their bond with the Jyuunishi…the `God' of the infamous circle. Without it, there was no bond and no sense of completion to the soul of the Nezumi spirit. So…I ask this. What will you do when Akito-sama does die?”
 
No matter how many wishes he threw to the stars on any given night that Akito be spared for a while longer, he knew her time was coming to a close at a steady pace. But to have it said so plainly by someone who obviously knew about the subject matter was bordering on a violation of private Jyuunishi affairs…or rather, his private affairs. And he did not appreciate that.
 
She was right, though, or rather, her father's theories were correct. A true bond unlike the others existed between the `God' of the Jyuunishi and the Nezumi spirit…their special bond in turn linked with the bond of the others…the complete blood bond became united as one. And all this dependent on Akito's continuing presence in their lives.
 
This above all else is why their obedience was and always will be absolute, even that of the rebellious Neko. Their bond with her demanded no less for the life she has given to them since the moment of her birth, leading to a sense of completion within their lives. The completion he himself feels now would not be to the same extent upon Akito passing away…of that he was certain. It would be a wound…a scar…that would never fully heal.
 
The question, though, that had plagued him for many of those starlit nights is if this sense of loss is from his Nezumi spirit telling him so because of the break in the bond or is it because he personally would feel the loss at such a level that no cursed spirit can ever evoke. She was after all his oldest and closest companion…
 
Regardless…here and now, he'd be damned to let anyone know of his true emotions on the matter. They were of no business to anyone outside of those choice few in his life. Anyone else just needed to know the facts of what his actions will be.
 
Kumiko saw the shift in his eyes as the question was directly asked. It took much of her steel resolve to ask this question, but it must be asked, and he must answer it. It would direct her to make her final choice. And after a few moments of tense silence, he did.
 
“I will mourn. I will live. I'll take care of my family however I can from whomever I must. And I will not fail.” It was the most he could say at this point in his inexperienced life…it was really the hardest thing he had ever said in his life.
 
Another silence settled between them, their gazes locked with one another. The world within held its breath until finally it was broken by a bright smile and startling words.
 
“Well…if that's how strongly you feel about it, then you have my full support on the Board. Consider our interview over.” Standing up swiftly, she deeply bowed gracefully to him. “My services are yours to use as you see fit, Yuki-sama.”
 
Adults…he mused…were damn confusing. Will he become this inconsistent with time? Will he twist the words to lead one to believe one thing only to turn it around in the opposite direction within two heartbeats? Did that even make sense? Does his internal rambling have an ending?
 
For certain, he was unable to respond in kind with the swift turn in the conversation. From briefly being told the private affairs of one past Jyuunishi's life to being told that he had her full support was mind-whirling…and her support for what?! He couldn't help the confusion and mounting frustration, but settled on clarifying one point at the very least with surprising calm.
 
“Sumimasen…I was told that your husband was the one I had the interview with,” he retorted mildly. “Is this still true?”
 
“My opinion and decision are my own. Both my husband and those on the Board respect that. You will still need to speak with him, but it's merely a formality, much like this was.” She turned to the door and called out, “Masako…”
 
Hurriedly the maidservant slid open the shoji and bowed to her mistress. “Hai, Kumiko-sama?”
 
“I think Yunosuke-kun has waited long enough,” she remarked as she walked to the doorway. “Let him know that he may come—”
 
“Thanks, Kaa-san, Masako!”
 
“Young master!” admonished Masako. “You must not barge in like this. It's highly improper!”
 
Grinning widely to his nursemaid, Yunosuke saluted her. “Hai, Masako!” Turning to Yuki, he went over and tugged the stunned teen to his feet. “Come on, Yuki-Sensei. Let's go outside…I'll show you where I practice my karate and where I feed Kaa-san's fish…”
 
“Remember, Yunosuke-kun, your father will be here soon to speak with him,” called out Kumiko before the boy disappeared down the hallway.
 
“Hai, Kaa-san!” responded the boy without looking back.
 
“Tha—thank you for the tea, Kumiko-san,” Yuki managed to call out to his host before being dragged away.
 
“Honestly, that boy is so much like his mother,” grumbled the elderly servant as she started to pickup the teacups and set.
 
Fondly looking to her former nursemaid, now personal attendant, Kumiko helped Masako tidying up the area. “Hai…he's bright and beautiful, ne, Masako?”
 
Masako dryly looked to her mistress' wide grin. Rather than reply to her joke, she quietly asked, “Were you pleased with your interview of the young man?”
 
Walking alongside together as they exited the room, Kumiko was pensive before responding, mentally recalling the steely gaze of those rare gray-violet eyes. “Hm…Akito-sama prepared him well. They both have that…stare. The world can come at him with all it can, and it wouldn't phase his resolve. He'll need that when facing this family as its head. And we're going to be there when he needs it, Masako.”
 
The elderly servant looked to her mistress with equal understanding and wordlessly walked on.
 
The very object of their musings was mentally lamenting for having the wheels in his mind slowly grind along as he followed an energetic student in the gardens. Perhaps the summer heat had fried his refined sense of thinking on his feet along with his brain. So much was thrown in his direction too fast for him to properly assimilate. Meeting another important member from the elite Board of Elders…being scrutinized by said member (thankfully, she was polite about it)…being told by some stranger how deep the bond between his cursed spirit and the `God' of the Jyuunishi is. And to top it off, he still didn't get the answer he wanted.
 
`What the HELL am I being interviewed for?!' Yuki hid his frustrations well as he didn't want to alarm his student. It wasn't the kid's fault, but this lack of knowledge was getting old. After his `interview' with Seto, he's going to march right over to the Honke and drag out the answers from Akito. She can't deny him an answer to this question…surely.
 
“Eh…um, Yuki-Sensei? Is something the matter?” asked Yunosuke, concerned that his guest was just staring intently at the koi pond ahead of them without so much as blinking an eye.
 
Yuki snapped back to attention and graced Yunosuke with a wide smile. “No, I'm fine. I was just thinking…about…your family. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't look at your personal file at the dojo. I didn't know you lived here.”
 
“Heh, that's okay! Here, take these crumbs, and I'll use these.” Scattering the crumbs on the ground, immediately a peacock came out to feed. “Heh, I'm in charge of feeding them. Aniki said I'm pretty good at it.”
 
“Should I scatter my share, too?” asked Yuki casually.
 
“No, no! Here, come to the pond.” Taking them to the edge of the watery shore, Yunosuke, waved to the fish that were immediately starting to come up to surface. “Feed these guys here. It's time for their dinner!”
 
“How's this?” Yuki asked while spreading the crumbs evenly across the lapping waters.
 
“That's real good. You must do it all the time,” commented Yunosuke happily as he looked at the eager fish eating up the food greedily.
 
Yuki looked to his student with a fond smile. The boy was so carefree here in this house. His mother was a bit strange, but kind, no doubt about that. But his father…well, he was thankful the young boy didn't carry that sort of bitterness around him. “So…you have a brother…”
 
Yunosuke needed no further prodding. “He's the BEST! He taught me how to feed these fish just right. And he got me the peacock for my New Year's present, even though it pecks my feet all the time. But Aniki's so cool. And he can fight real good, too, and he can swing a sword all around him like a real pro…he's got a big test coming up for that, too. He practices in a clearing just on the other side over there with all sorts of stuff, but today he went out to do his practice elsewhere. He's gonna take me over to Shin's place when he gets back, and we'll go pick up Himeka-chan to go to the park and get ice cream. I hope he gets here soon…”
 
Yuki inwardly laughed at the enthusiasm the boy showed when talking about his brother. Despite his personal reservations on Tetsuya, clearly Yunosuke held his brother in the highest esteem, and gladly shared such adoration with others. It was admirable, really…here, in this house, two siblings shared a bond that he only dreamt of when he was a child himself.
 
He couldn't help the quiet comment, “You have the ideal brother, Yunosuke-kun. Not many are so lucky as you.”
 
Noting the subdued tone, Yunosuke dared to ask, “Oh, um…do you have a brother? Don't you get along with him? Shin has a younger brother that takes away all his toys and stuff, but he still takes care of him when his mom goes out to shop for food.”
 
“Sounds like Shinpachi-kun is quite the responsible older brother, ne?” Sighing heavily, Yuki finished spreading the crumbs out to the fish below and wiped his hands on his pants. He looked to his hands, delicate by masculine standards, and wondered idly if his brother held the very same hands. It amazed him that his hands could render a highly trained Neko unconscious…then again, Kyo was an idiot who never learned when to quit.
 
Stretching his arms out to the front and side, he carefully chose his wording so as not to let on more than what was necessary. “Well, let's just say that I didn't really grow up with a brother to look after me. And when he did finally come around, it's like having a snake wrapping its coils around your body…no matter how hard you try to get it off, it just holds on tighter.”
 
“Heh…wow. So, is that…a good thing now?” curiously asked the young boy.
 
Yuki couldn't help the abrupt chuckle as he shook his head. “Yeah, hn, there are days that make me wonder why I bother with him. But…other times…he has his moments. (Leans down and whispers.) Just don't tell him I said that…he would literally wrap his coils around me even more than before.”
 
Nodding his head, Yunosuke smiled widely as he, too, finished feeding his pet with the last of the crumbs in his palms. Coming across a sudden thought, he quietly asked, “Yuki-Sensei…do you think I'm a bother to my brother, like your brother is with you at times? I mean…well, I always get Aniki to do things with me even though he's so busy. Tou-san even says so sometimes, but Aniki tells him that he doesn't care and does it anyway.”
 
Biting back on the immediate thought that struck his mind upon hearing that, Yuki crouched down and looked to the worried gaze of the boy. The innocence there…the hope…the fear…how often he had seen and felt such when he was the boy's age. Sadly, his experiences were far more grim and hopeless. He mentally shuddered to think this boy would experience anything remotely to what he had as a child.
 
Banishing that morbid and, thankfully, unlikely possibility far and away, he focused on Yunosuke once again. He reached out and gently grasped his shoulder to give the boy a half-embrace he so deserved. Pulling back, he looked to the wide-eyed boy and softly smiled.
 
“My older brother and I are different from you and your older brother…very different. He's loud, I'm not. He loves attention, I don't. He can sew, I can't. He can cook, I burn water.” Pausing to let Yunosuke's burst of laughter subside, he sighed and sat back on his heels, bracing a chin onto his fist with a lop-side grin gracing his face. “But you know, it's because he can do what I can't or don't do that makes him too interesting to ignore. He can be a huge bother a lot of the time, but…I'd rather have him as a bother than not at all.”
 
“Now…that said…” he went on as he stood up and took Yunosuke by the hand to head back to the house, “you and your brother have a far different relationship. A very good one, too. It's so good that even though he may be busy, he always makes the time to be with you. Am I right?”
 
“Well…yeah, I mean, yes, Yuki-Sensei. But maybe I shouldn't be such a bother, you know,” persisted Yunosuke awkwardly. “Work is important, just like Tou-san's is to him.”
 
“Interesting…I've felt the same way with my brother when I visited him at his place of work. I didn't like being a bother to him either, knowing how busy he can be. Still, no matter how busy he was, he always closed his shop when I paid him a visit. I told him not to, sometimes suggesting that it'd be better if I stopped visiting.” He shook his head as he recalled that day with his brother. The river of tears that man can spew…they could fill an ocean.
 
“Well, after much brotherly persuasion, I stopped feeling like I was a burden to him and visited often, and still do. And he's never been happier.” Looking down to Yunosuke that was contemplating all that was said to him, he finalized his point. “Your father may not understand how important your time is with your brother. That happens. But I'm sure your brother would probably concur with what my brother told me… `So what if you take up my time from work or anything else? What's the point of having all the time in the world if you can't spend it with the one that makes you happy?' Remember that each and every time someone tells you differently, okay?”
 
The smile a child can bestow can light up a city. At least, Yunosuke's did at that moment, looking up to his sensei that he admired now more than ever. His sensei never treated his question as too childish to answer. He usually got that from other adults, but not him. His sensei just understood and told him plainly without talking down to him. Nodding affirmatively to Yuki's posed questions, he turned around to lead him back to the house. It was then that he spotted the one person that was so important to him.
 
“ANIKI!!!”
 
The difference one person can make in one's life is remarkable, Yuki mused, as he saw the two siblings come together in a less exuberant manner than he was usually submitted to. It was…fitting.
 
`So…that's his brother. And Seto-san is his father. How do they make it work?'
 
Having listened to the latter half of their conversation, Tetsuya kept still and quiet behind a large tree in order to see how this `wonderful' teacher interacted with his younger brother. Not that he was jealous or anything of the sort…he was just wary. There was just too much mystery involved with this Sohma teen, and he didn't want his little brother involved with someone he knew little about. But he did not interfere with their conversation, wariness giving way to curiosity as he listened intently.
 
“Come on, squirt. Get yourself ready…we're out to the park in five minutes.” He kept his tone light, but leveled a heavy stare onto Yuki who returned it. He then gave his greeting. “Yuki-Sensei, what a surprise to have you here.”
 
“Isn't it great?! He helped me feed the fish and my peacock!” Yunosuke quickly went to Yuki's side and tugged at his sleeve to get his attention. “Hey, Yuki-Sensei, could you come another time so that you can stay for dinner? It'll be fun!”
 
Yuki turned from the stare of the elder brother, and widely smiled down at his excited student. “Thank you for the invitation, Yunosuke-kun…perhaps I may. I'll see you tomorrow at practice, all right?”
 
“Hai!” Bowing respectfully to his sensei, Yunosuke hurriedly ran up to the house to get ready. He wondered if today Keisuke would be joining them at the park. He often did when his older brother found a moment to relax.
 
The positive energy that child held quickly left the atmosphere as soon as he left. Yuki opted not to return to the staring contest with Tetsuya, instead focusing on the vast gardens all around him. They were well tended to like those at the Honke. Red roses, white tulips, gladiolas, they all combined their scents so effortlessly despite being so different from one another. Sort of like this family Yuki was just starting to get to know…
 
“You have a wonderful family, Tetsuya-san.” The quiet comment was followed by the abrupt summer breeze that whipped his hair in front of his eyes, carrying with it the smell of blossoms in full bloom. It was just so peaceful here, being enveloped in an aura of serenity that wasn't present at the Honke. Then again, old memories die hard, and at the Honke, many of those memories were bitterly sad. It was obvious that here in this home, those sorts of bitter memories didn't exist…had never existed.
 
Tetsuya was ready to launch his questions straight off the bat once his little brother had left. They were there…ready and waiting on the tip of his tongue, his mind sharp to phrase the questions so that they were more like demands. His mistrust of Yuki concerning the family business, the family in general, even the association the introverted teen had with Kagura…all subject matters that he demanded answers and clarifications on. All he had to do was start asking, form the words…he'd done so much more than that when preparing business proposals for multi-million dollar contracts. Just say the words…the words that would bring him the answers he demanded, no, needed to know…
 
How? How could Yuki's one quietly said phrase and the silence that followed deter him from his goal?
 
Family. His one true strength…his one true weakness…
 
His family…which included a strict father. Challenges he met and overcame under his father's strict upbringing. Love between father and son was not something he was accustomed to, but he knew it didn't need to be, not for them. He had his mother for that and as of eight years ago, his little brother.
 
Yunosuke…no matter how much his father protested that he should spend more time on his studies or work, he doted on his little brother. He was there for his younger brother early on…from crawling to walking, from speaking gibberish `til he could say `Kaa-san' then `Aniki' then `Tou-san', from the inevitable first day of school to picnics, trips, festivals…it was an endless cycle of love that he would not give up for anything.
 
His family…not perfect, but well structured. The occasional disagreements that were kept behind closed doors between his father and himself certainly shook the ties that held them together, but his mother was very adept at keeping them strong…it was her gift.
 
Still, his father was persistent, but if he became too much to handle alone, his mother stepped in with a grace that showed utmost respect for her husband, but also allowed her children to continue as before. How she managed to do that without ever deriving his father's ire would always amaze him.
 
And Yunosuke was kept innocent of it all by everyone in the house, including his father. Although it was never told to him, he understood why his father spared his brother his heavy-handedness…he was his father's heir and Yunosuke was his mother's. A simple arrangement that he fully supported.
 
He's now back to where he started. `Say it…demand it…they're just words, just DAMN words.'
 
He couldn't. It was the silence around Yuki that kept the words at bay. The teen just stood there with his back to him, staring at the lush gardens his mother took great pride in. While the teen held himself well, posture straight as a board, the air around him was heavy with melancholy, as if the recollections of old memories repressed the shine the gardens exuded.
 
Yuki's family. He knew so little of it, yet another mystery to unravel one day. But he did know two things. His brother is brash and loud….the evening gala a while back more than cemented that fact into his mind. And his father…was no father. Sohma Yuki had no father or anything remotely related to the term.
 
`And I used that against him. Used his weakness…his shame…against him.' Enough. Many words were not needed…just the few that encompassed the whole of the matter… “Sohma Yuki…who ARE you?”
 
Yuki felt the warring of unsaid words going on behind him. He was tired of these veiled and not-so-veiled confrontations between Tetsuya and himself. He didn't think his remark would excite his companion this much since he had thought it to be neutral enough. He focused on how different his family was from Tetsuya's family, which of course sent his spirits dwindling. He really shouldn't be doing this…
 
It came as a surprise to him to hear the question the young man settled on. It was simply asked, but it conveyed much more. Just who was he? The Nezumi of the Jyuunishi…a high school graduate that ditched further secular education…a substitute martial arts teacher with no formal training…a bumbling kid in his late teens that still was afraid of the dark…
 
“Hn…I wish I knew.” Heavily sighing, he turned around and faced Tetsuya with a wry grin. Looking over the other's shoulder, Yuki stiffened his stance, his grin now gone, only a steely-gaze now in place. He walked past him, and softly commented. “I'm of no importance to you, Tetsuya-san. So please…let me be.”
 
“Tetsuya, your mother asks for you.”
 
Stunned, Tetsuya spun around and found his father at the entrance to the garden, narrowly gazing at him before turning to escort Yuki away. He wanted to follow, but knew better than to try. For now, Yuki's few words will have to suffice, and, just maybe, what he needed to know was all said in those few words…
 
Yuki wordlessly met up with the adult, who in turn silently strode back into the house. He stiffly followed Sohma Seto, and after a few turns here and there, he was now he presumed at the elder Sohma's office. Standing by the doorway, he carefully kept his distance from Seto, cautious as to what he'd say or do. It was never a good idea to give the opponent the advantage, and, here in this office, he was certainly at a disadvantage.
 
“Come now, you've already been given free reign in this house it seems. Have a seat,” urged Seto as he gestured to a chair in front of his large desk where he sat quite comfortably.
 
Still hesitant, Yuki set aside his wariness and bowed respectfully before striding confidently into the office and sitting down gracefully. He met Seto's scrutinizing stare with his own, refusing to look elsewhere. He politely remarked, “Forgive me for intruding, Seto-san.”
 
Nodding in acknowledgment to the expected polite greeting, Seto sighed heavily and continued staring, although now it took on a more distant look to it. How the years flew by as he busied himself in preparing for Akito's eventual departure while this child was seemingly hidden from sight and, he admits now, mind.
 
How could he have anticipated the presence of the Nezumi in the public spotlight when Akito was obsessive in keeping her precious Rat in seclusion all these years? Not once did she ever share him with anyone, not even within her own private circle of the Jyuunishi. For the better part of the Nezumi's life, it was rumored in the very few who spoke of them that Yuki was confined for days, weeks, even months at a time with no contact with the outside world aside from Akito. He thought the rumors themselves ludicrous, but didn't dismiss the grain of truth in the gossip that seemed consistent…the Nezumi was by all accounts limited in his access outside the realm of the Sohma family.
 
`Hmph, by all accounts, this boy shouldn't even EXIST outside those walls at the Honke, along with all of his Jyuunishi companions. How did this all change without us being aware of it until too late?'
 
It was a strategic error on his part…to turn a blind eye to a potential problem that seemingly resolved itself back then. Akito was mostly absent from the meetings with the clan, favoring her privacy over dealing with the affairs of the family. And Yuki was treated as a topic never to be broached due to Akito's strong hold over any information remotely related to her Jyuunishi especially that of her Rat. It was how things went for many years since she took over as the clan head, and he couldn't be more pleased. The opportunity to take over as the next head of the family and to appoint his son as his heir was at hand, even being supported by various branches of the clan since they clearly saw the much needed stability he could provide to the clan.
 
It was no secret and was very good gossip for the hired help to deliver on a constant basis. He along with many others never agreed with Akira's decision to name Akito as the next clan head…so much so that it turned many a late night meeting into a volatile uproar. It was even briefly entertained amongst them that Akira was too ill to think in his right mind when making such monumental decisions. After all, she was obviously too young, inexperienced, and sickly to hold such an honored and highly responsible position. How those facts were argued time and again for hours on end with Akira…
 
Yet despite the dissent within their branches, primarily with the outlying family heads that didn't know of Akito's special status, Akira went ahead with his decision to name Akito the head of the family, leaving an additional stipulation in his testament that it would be Akito's sole decision to choose her heir. It was a decision that ultimately none dared to overrule for a very simple yet weighty reason…Akira was a dying man that was greatly honored and respected by most of the family members, if not all of them. Bottom line, he was the beloved Sohma Akira. And it would have been family-political suicide if they had attempted to overturn his final wishes.
 
Then, of course, there was Akito's birthright. It had been too long. Too long had the family been without its rightful heir…its rightful head…at least, that's according to Akira's base argument along with others in the Inner Circle, board members included. The few Jyuunishi that were present at the time of her birth were ecstatic, hope shining within them for whatever reason they believed. When those in the Inner Circle of the family as well began to raise their hopes, it was the proverbial nail in the coffin to the argument that Akito should be designated as the next clan head.
 
The words he had heard then from those within the inner family still echoed in his mind…`Perhaps this child will make it past her first year…never mind that she's a girl.' And live she did, well beyond the expectations of many, including himself. To add to this `blessing' were the excited whispers that came about as the Nezumi was born a few years later. That, he knew now, was the turning point…a turning point he failed to acknowledge for what it truly was.
 
He was there. At that family-owned hospital, when the parents of the Nezumi retired to their private room, the entire Board of Elders convened in the restricted-access nursery reserved just for their `special' deliveries. It had to be confirmed and approved by all…this baby boy was in fact the Nezumi of the Jyuunishi. His wife was nervous for once; he was indifferent.
 
Each held him carefully, painfully aware of how small and fragile the life they held in their arms was…the child was born prematurely. As the minutes ticked by, as each looked intently at the baby in their arms, they became more open in expressing themselves…the look of doubt and wariness replaced with approval and profound admiration. Saddened that she couldn't hold him but nonetheless ecstatic to see him in his arms, his wife Kumiko commented off-hand how beautiful his large gray-violet eyes were. Master Haji even added that the boy looked to be a porcelain doll with those long eyelashes of his.
 
What were his thoughts as he held the boy? His deep gaze bored into the very soul of the boy as it tried to discern any flaw that may have existed there. Those beautiful eyes his wife adored were indeed a window that barely opened to those around them. It was enough. Deep inside, he had seen the light of purity this child exuded as the carrier of the Nezumi spirit. And immediately the blood in his veins that was then simmering to a boil ceased to be so and became a calm river that flowed quietly.
 
It was then that he knew what it was to have the curse of Sohma blood in his veins. To be subjugated by the gaze of an infant was enough to fan his dislike of the Jyuunishi along with the `god' into a raging inferno.
 
So began his campaign to take the reigns of the family away from Akito. He thought to have been successful on all fronts…business, family connections, allies outside and inside the family. Few were the times that she did show up to the board meetings and those few times were always unpredictable sessions. Though no one could negate her impressive handling of all the final matters relating to the state of family affairs and the like along with the flourishing of their financial and personal endeavors, her renowned mental instability behind closed doors only made his stabilized sense of direction more appealing to those amongst the board and to the outlying branches.
 
But now…there was this…boy. His evident strategic error to turn his back on a seemingly uncaring Akito was foolish and careless. He knew that now. She had brought in her ultimate weapon that he had thought useless up until a few months ago…her position as the `god' of the Jyuunishi, along with her heir-apparent, the Nezumi. And the true war of who will take the family legacy as the clan head began.
 
She fiercely fought back on all the same fronts he had…business, family connections, allies outside and inside the family. And she was regaining ground quicker than the grains of sand flowing in an hourglass. She made his years of careful, calculated planning look like a child's game of checkers whereas she played the game of familial `warfare' like that of a professional go player. And all this in just this year alone while fighting her debilitating illnesses.
 
Sohma Yuki. The favored Nezumi of the Jyuunishi…second only to his `god'…next in line to inherit the position of family head. Sohma Yuki. This boy without one shred of advanced education or experience to his name was beating the odds in his half of this `war' by simply being present in the most vital of meetings, by being near to those of Sohma blood that had the most connections to all in the family.
 
Akito was cunning in those initial introductions she had made for the Nezumi. Master Haji…the most highly respected elder amongst the clan…his opinion aside from Akito was always sought after. His wife, Kumiko…highly valued due to her coveted business connections by association of her late father, a previous Jyuunishi member, that were essential to many a business venture. Yamagi and his wife Keiko…the couple was renowned for their management of private family holdings, old and new, and was always consulted for further procurements in and out of the country (the concert hall under construction being a recent addition). The father of the Sheep…fiercely loyal to the Jyuunishi and clan in that order, and is one of the key members on the board responsible for the financial welfare of the Jyuunishi and their families.
 
Oh yes, Akito knew where to strike and strike hard. And the fruit of her labor is sitting right in front of him.
 
Now is the time to counterattack.
 
“Did you know that your name was given to you by Akira-sama? Rather unusual, don't you think?” he asked abruptly while keenly keeping his eyes on the other's reaction.
 
Already uncomfortable with the way this conversation was heading towards, Yuki guardedly shifted his gaze to over the man's shoulder, noting the pictures of his family adorning his wall. He stared at them momentarily, making silent comparisons to the office of another, before replying.
 
“Is that so?” he asked distantly.
 
With a small grin, Seto continued. “Yes, he was appalled that your parents failed to name you at the time of your birth. I suppose their sudden change in status with your birth overwhelmed them. In any case, Akira-sama took it upon himself to give you your name. What do you think?”
 
Yuki began to really hate the current flow of conversation. It brought up touchy subjects he wasn't keen on discussing, least of all with this man. But to be polite to his host… “I like my name, Seto-san.”
 
The neutral response wasn't what he hoped to hear, but Seto pursued his course, certain that he'd eventually trap his prey. “Yes, Akira-sama was very sure of himself when he chose your name. `A reason to hope'—that's what your name means, correct? I was surprised to hear your eloquent graduation speech to your class included this very aspect of your name.”
 
“My speech was not said with my name in mind…it just happened that way.” Yuki vainly tried to recall if he saw this man at his graduation ceremony since he obviously heard his impromptu speech. There were so many people that were unknown to him that shook his hand…he had been so relieved to get out of that throng that he failed to remember names.
 
“Well, in any case, I must agree with the philosophy behind the name. It is important for this family to have hope. After all, with such a degrading curse placed upon our bloodline, it's imperative that we maintain control over anything else that would put our family at a disadvantage.” Leaning back into his chair, Seto looked to Yuki, as if seeking to have him understand his point of view. “Surely you agree with keeping our family safe from harm, do you not?”
 
“I agree with how one English writer put it. `Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.' He well surmised beliefs I hold true.” Yuki was now beginning to understand why Akito had told him to behave, as his Jyuunishi station required it. His position as the Nezumi was likely the only thing that was holding this man back from reacting as he'd probably wanted to. The unmistakable sense of a challenge was felt in the man's presence and tone alone, never mind the hidden implications in this `interview'.
 
Seto nodded in acknowledgement and stood up to look out his window that overlooked the front lawn with all its fine landscaping. Seeing his sons leave for whatever they have planned, he turned back to Yuki with a shrewd gaze. “I get to the point since we're both busy gentlemen. Despite this curse on our bloodline, the Jyuunishi mean nothing to me. What I see in your lot is just poor souls that fate toyed with, nothing more. The next generation to be plagued by it will also have no further meaning to me other than fate having toyed with them as well. What does concern me is what you do with your lives that would affect the family. You understand my concern, do you not?”
 
“We're each walking our paths as best as we can, no different than any other `normal' person in this world. Being a Jyuunishi only gives us additional burdens to bear that no one can possibly understand, though few do manage to accept us just as we are.” He inwardly smiled to think of Tohru as just such an individual that accepted their cursed condition with open arms…how her selflessness created the desperately-needed chain reaction within the Jyuunishi circle that triggered the change in their dejected situation.
 
“Despite the obstacles, we carry on and succeed…Hatori is a well-respected doctor, Shigure is a brilliant writer (`I pray that the buffoon NEVER hears of this'), and Nii-san has a well-established business…Kureno has dutifully watched over Akito and taken care of business on her behalf with the utmost dedication. As for the rest of us, we've managed to attend schools, even some that are co-ed, with few troubles. Any concerns anyone in the family would have regarding us are not necessary…we're doing fine.”
 
Seto heard the implied comment here that basically refuted any logic on his part that the Jyuunishi were anything to worry about. Wholly contrary to what he believed. “I fully admire and respect what all of you have managed to do up to this point in time despite your `afflictions'. I agree that the elder Jyuunishi have led upstanding lives and chose successful careers to follow. But as for the rest of you, few are doing fine. It's apparent no one has a leash on the wild Horse…the girl obviously rejects authority of any kind. Then there's the young man that insists on being violent when circumstances are not to his favor…I believe you term him as `Black'. There's the…shame…attached to your name for refusing to advance in your studies. And then, of course, there's the continued release of the Cat…”
 
Yuki had held up his hand to stop the downward turn of the conversation, his jaw set with a determined edge. The contents in his stomach twisted and churned, making him regret ever taking that last cup of tea. Anticipating the unfavorable reaction he knows he'll receive from this man when he spoke his piece, he narrowly gazed at the impudent man, “Forgive me if I contradict some of your assessments of us, Seto-san. His `continued release'? Is there such a problem that's so grave with Kyo being, as you put it, `released' that requires he be confined? I've personally seen no evidence of it, and I've lived with him for the past few years. At school, at home, or even at the dojo, Kyo hasn't done anything that would warrant such a…barbaric punishment.”
 
“Yuki…-sama…this isn't something new…it's been done for every Neko that has appeared in our family for generations.” Seto struggled to keep his cutting gaze on the youth while exerting as much force as he dared into his tone. “The Neko is what he is. Unlike the rest of you with your `peculiar' changes in form when the curse strikes, the Neko has the added shame of our family with that second form of his. I've personally had to witness it, and I assure you, it's a disgust that has no boundaries in any realm of logic. And for that reason, he should be confined, away from those that would expose his shame and filth if only to embarrass the family.”
 
“What he is or been cursed with is no fault of his own…not for any of us. Although I've not seen such level of `disgust' as you have, it still wouldn't mean that he's to be confined on the remote possibility that anyone would wish to `embarrass' the family. Those possibilities are just as likely for the rest of us Jyuunishi, so singling out the Neko for just that reason is ridiculous.” The adrenaline rush Yuki now felt pumping in his veins only seemed to rise even more as he continued without letup. He only vaguely realized that he was now bordering on being impertinent with his elder relative, but soon tossed the thought aside.
 
“It was my understanding that the Nezumi and Neko never got along…” Seto's voice trailed in his spoken thoughts. “What can the Nezumi possibly see in his enemy to defend him so?”
 
“I defend anyone of the Jyuunishi curse…they are MY responsibility as much as it is Akito's. And Kyo is NOT my enemy. If it can be said, the only enemy I have is ignorance from fools that assume to know me,” retorted Yuki crossly.
 
Smirking, Seto pressed on, “Yes, fools indeed who are ignorant of your innate need as the Nezumi to protect those under your charge. I just didn't believe it extended to the Neko, the sworn enemy of the Nezumi spirit.”
 
Clenching his fists on his lap, Yuki bit back the anger growing within him. He would not be like Akito had been in the past when she was alone with the Jyuunishi and lashed out. He'd be like her when she's in a boardroom with nothing but the wits in her mind to guide her through the minefield that can be found in the family. He'd be just like her…
 
“Kyo is cursed with the Neko spirit and the Nezumi spirit is upon me, but that's not who we are. Each of us lives our lives as who we are, not by what we are. Kyo is Kyo. And I'm just…me. My `innate need to protect those under my charge' is because I am who I AM, not because of my cursed affliction. As for the others, perhaps you should try to empathize with their situations before labeling them as `problems'. Then you'd know how an unstable house has turned a high-spirited individual into a distrusting soul that can only confide in only a few, and how insecure another was when he was young and at that age having to hear the mockery all around him just because his curse was that of one labeled to be stupid. And as far as my `shame' goes, I feel none of it. What I decide to do or not to do is my business, and neither you nor anyone else has any say in it.”
 
`Hmph…this boy is so naïve…already revealing his weaknesses given the right pressure…' With a small smile, he stepped to the front of his desk to stand next to the younger Sohma's seat. Sitting on the edge, he looked down at the youth with a calculated gaze, silently measuring the other's reaction to his next remarks. “Heh, my, my…you do speak so passionately of your beliefs, don't you?”
 
“It's said that `it is not enough to speak, but to speak true'… Don't you believe it's time that you told me your `truth' behind this `interview', Seto-san?” It was an open challenge on his part, Yuki knew, but he found himself beyond irritated with this man and wished to leave soon. If it meant antagonizing the man enough to release him, so be it. “Or would you rather reveal your `truth' regarding your `distaste' for Ritsu and his family?”
 
The minute narrowing of Seto's eyes was the only thing that gave away his rise to the spoken challenges. “Ritsu-kun and his family are not worth the mention, to be quite honest. They are dealt with as I see fit, and trust me when I say that you truly have no say on that matter at all. The `truth' you ask for is that as far as this `interview' goes, it's just a formality. Upon Akito's imminent death, there is plenty of speculation as to who will take on her role in the family, and I assure you on this as well that you'll have no part in it, not now, not ever.”
 
“I see…if this is your `truth', then I'd be a fool not to believe it.” Standing up to meet the taller man's pointed gaze more closely, the younger Sohma solemnly replied, “But you must also accept a different `truth', Seto-san…where it concerns Ritsu, Kagura, Kyo or anyone of the Jyuunishi and their families, they are my concern and what I say does matter. As far as the role of clan headship goes, it's of no concern of mine since I'd rather focus on Akito being with us here and now. Should she pass on, I may not have anything to do with who's to take her position, but I can guarantee you that you won't fulfill that role in our family…not now, not ever.”
 
Watching the boy haughtily leave his side to head to the door, Seto refrained from reaching out and grabbing the insolent brat. He did have to abide with Akito's mandate of not `damaging' the boy. Yuki paused at the door when he called out with a tight grin, “You sound so certain, little Nezumi. But as much as you disagree, the clan headship will shift to hands that will bring more stability to the family…clearly your kind are anything but stable. This is another `truth' that you should learn to accept.”
 
“Such `truths' will certainly come to pass in one form or another…of that I have no doubt. Yet, aside from `truths', there are facts you must remember…” Turning to face Seto, Yuki gave the man his version of a smile that lacked malice but also brought a shiver down the spine of even this man. It was all in the stare after all…a dark stare that Akito would be proud of. “Akito can't stand you, so inevitably she will see to it that your hands aren't the ones that will take up her position in this family when she dies. And inevitably, I will stand by her side through it all.”
 
Seto held his pointed stare as remarked, “Stand by the one that has kept you under lock and key a time or two? Is this stupidity or blind devotion, Yuki-sama?”
 
Yuki now smirked at the obvious insult. “Neither…to be there for everyone else that's important to me, I stand by the one. (Pause) Thank you, Seto-san, for your `hospitality'. This `interview' was very…enlightening.”
 
Seto glared heatedly as the door shut behind the Nezumi. Unclenching his fists, he furiously sat in his chair, forcing himself to calm down and not recall the last few exchanges in their conversations. These were blatant challenges thrown at each other to vie for dominance, and though Yuki did manage to one-up him several times, the facts were indeed made clear, and so were the weaknesses.
 
`Yes, little Nezumi…our `interview' has proved highly enlightening…for me.'
 
The eyes and ears of one lady of the house couldn't hide the disappointment in her heart upon seeing the events unfold before her. She knew that this familial turmoil would only deteriorate as time passed…and time has a way of passing very swiftly within this family.
 
Yes, the clash between high-level members of the clan and the Jyuunishi has now commenced with a resounding roar.
 
Yuki didn't bother to wait for any maidservant to show him to the door. He just simply followed his instincts and ran out of that maze of a house. Crossing the walkway that led to the front gate with great haste, he dared not deign himself to turn around and look up to the window he knew Seto to be standing by, cold daggers of hate thrown his way. He reached the gate and after having a one of the groundskeepers help him out, he left the premises at a fast pace.
 
Only upon reaching the corner of the street did he finally slow down and take it all in. It was only then that he noticed that his hands were trembling, his heart beating at a rapid pace. Feeling flushed and chilled all at once, he deeply breathed in and out, hoping his nerves would now calm themselves.
 
`It's like being in the jaws of an animal in that office. Just like that time with that wild cat in the forest…I'm still -prey- it seems.' To think that this whole mess was because of Akito's position being vied for by others in the family, including Seto. The man certainly believed himself to be next in line for that position and is already doing his best in trying to control them, well the Nezumi spirit specifically.
 
`I'm pretty sure if my Nezumi spirit could speak, it wouldn't like the man anymore than I do.' Regardless, he realized that Seto-san will do all that he can and more in order to take over the clan and ultimately the Jyuunishi. And of course, to that end, the elder Sohma went after what he perceived is his greatest threat to the role…the Nezumi of the Jyuunishi. `That -interview- said as much…tch, all this just to get more control…more power…it really never ends, does it? Strange that his wife would wish to support me, but she did say she did things her own way. Some family they are…'
 
His spine suddenly stiffened and he quickly jumped around a corner and hid behind a tree. The eyes of another were felt immediately as he drew himself out of his stupor. He waited patiently, knowing that this stalker would soon present himself in order to follow him around the corner of the walkway. And that individual did, their footsteps quickly coming closer and closer…
 
He hesitated to say anything at first when he saw the individual walk away from him but at the same time tried to stay hidden. Perplexed, he reached out with his hand and grasped the other's shoulder. “What are you—”
 
“EEEEEEEEKKKKKKK, STALKER, MURDERER, PERVERT, KIDNAPPER, BAST—”
 
“TOHRU-SAN!”
 
The girl that was afraid for her life gasped upon realizing that it was just Yuki who held onto her shoulders now, concern and disbelief awash over his delicate features. Smiling with immense relief, she grasped her head and started to laugh sheepishly. “Eh…ano…um…I was told to, it was really an order come to think of it, protect myself when there's no one else around. Uo-chan made me practice with her all the time at the apartment to be sure no low-life thug touched me.”
 
Wisely deciding to not inquire further as to Uotani's methods to deter crime against Tohru's person, Yuki let her shoulders go and curiously asked, “What are you doing here, Tohru-san? I thought you had plans to be out with Kyo today. And, um, what's with…the clothes?”
 
She heavily blushed, now just noticing that her cover was blown magnificently. And after all the hard work Ayame had put in to be sure her disguise blended in so that she could follow Yuki home unnoticed, she scolded herself internally for being careless. Fiddling with her hat and readjusting her green/brown military fatigues subconsciously, she looked to the ground and mumbled incoherently.
 
“I'm sorry, what was that?” Really, it was endearing that she apparently tried to tail him back home, but she didn't have to choose these clothes to become incognito. They only made her stand out more, especially the over-sized sunglasses. This must have been his brother's doing…the man was shameless where fashion and ladies were concerned.
 
“I…was worried.” She took off her sunglasses and lifted her gaze to meet his baffled look. Slightly grinning, she poured out her whole story rather quickly. “You were meeting Tetsuya-san's father today. I knew you were worried about it; I could tell from the tone in your voice over the phone…not that I was trying to meddle in your own business, Yuki-kun, I respect fully and wholly your privacy, always. So…I did spend some time with Kyo-kun and his great-grandfather and Shishou-san earlier today…he was amazing on this last move he made with the baka—no, that's not right…baken…eh, anyway. Tetsuya-san was there, so instead of waiting until after they were done, I left early and sort of….in a way…took the right steps to…start a journey…or, actually a mission, yes, Ayame-san said it was something like that…he's very knowledgeable about so many things, I'm amazed how smart he is…”
 
His mouth itched to become a full-blown smile, but knew she was too flustered to handle that, not to mention she was still rambling. Her roundabout way of describing her stalking techniques were cute in any case. “So…you followed him here…in a cab, I hope.”
 
“Oh yes, I was outside the building in a cab ready and waiting for the target to come out, I MEAN, Tetsuya-san!! I mean, that is to say, I continued my purpose to follow the right path laid before me and it led me here.” Deciding her explanation probably wasn't believable enough, she looked down and tilted her hat over her eyes to block out the incredulous stare of her companion. “That's really all there was, really. I didn't see anything or hear anything or, or smelled anything or thought about anything, no, actually, I, I did think about getting a drink and maybe worry a little more about you, but I fully respect your privacy—”
 
“Tohru-san…its fine. You don't have to explain anymore.” Smiling fondly to her, he grasped her hand in his and led her away down the sidewalk to the nearest bus stop. The rush hour commute was over by now, the approaching twilight further proof that this day in summer was quickly coming to an end. And somehow, this tumultuous day was ending rather well…
 
He breathed in deeply, smelling the heavy scent of a dwindling summer afternoon along with a fresh, flowery scent from Tohru's hair. He idly wondered if she will continue with the new hairstyle or grow out her hair. Either way, she looked magnificent in his eyes, even in this ridiculous outfit his brother forced upon her no doubt. She must have been very desperate to try to hide herself…
 
“Yuki-kun…are you…okay now?” She didn't want to tell him that she had seen him run out of the house, clearly upset…not that it wasn't a given already considering that he knew she had been waiting outside for him. Still, the tension she felt in his hand that held hers was slowly easing away, his stress obviously dwindling.
 
His earlier distress was quickly becoming a memory to ponder over for later (he always did)…to analyze…to decipher the understanding of it all. There was so much that was said within those walls…things he didn't know about…things he didn't want to know about. And after this last conversation with Seto, it only made him more aware that his comfortable but strange family living that he was finally starting to enjoy would soon be coming to an end.
 
`I'll enjoy what I've got until it all comes down on me…hard.' Setting his somber thoughts aside, he sighed heavily, squeezing her hand a bit more, seeking the unrelenting comfort she always gave in her touch alone. “Yeah…I'm good now. Thank you for asking.” He gently entwined his fingers with hers. `Thank you for caring.'
 
She felt him to be confident and sure despite whatever problems he was undoubtedly facing. Standing straight and tall, in her mind anyway, she felt his strength to carry on, reassuring her that it's not all right now, but it will be. Somehow, someway it will be all right…he will see to it. And with his silent gesture, it was enough for her to finally let go of her worry.
 
Recalling her vow at the beachside not too long ago, she tightened her hold on his hand, hardly blushing as she was used to doing. She softly replied, “Just lead the way, Yuki-kun. I trust you.”
 
Relief…immense in its magnitude flowed through him. His physical aches started to fade…his mind once muddled now clear as a crystal goblet…his heart heavy with burden now thumped for a different reason altogether. And he thanked Tohru heartily for giving him the reassurance that he so needed to hear.
 
`Good…because I'm not so sure if I can ever let you go…not with the hell that's coming my way.' Smiling brightly, he turned to her, never once releasing her hand. “Why don't we pay my brother a visit? He's sure to buy us dinner…and I for one would like to `discuss' his choice in wardrobe for you.” `The neighbors are starting to stare at her…baka Nii-san.'
 
Happily nodding in acceptance of his proposal, she followed him to the nearby bus stop, practically glowing with contentment that she was right where she needed to be by the one who needed her most.
 
`I finally reached him…his true self. He's not hiding from me anymore. I'm so happy…so very happy. Okaa-san…I hope you are proud of my choices because I'm not going back to how it was before. I'm going forward right alongside him…I won't leave him alone. Not ever…'
 
She would remember those unspoken words when the world finally came down on her beloved Jyuunishi family.
 
*~*
 
Pennies for many thoughts (08-27-07):
 
It fought me, tooth and nail, relentless and evading my genius mind…it was torture. So much for so little I think! Hence, this describes the never-ending battle with this chapter release. MAN, I was going to shoot it several times…I practically did!
 
Thankfully my overworked mind took pity and gave me this chapter in the end. I tweaked, deleted and start over, tweaked some more, pushed and pulled the story along, rewrote it, tweaked it some more, and lastly tried to put a little moment of relief in the end. I'm content…not over joyous or anything like that, but there's not much else to do here but wait until later chapters to make all this dialogue worth something.
 
There sure was a lot of dialogue in this one…tons. I had tried to keep it down to a minimum, but with the way the story is quickly coming to a climatic moment at the tournament, the dialogue was necessary. The time for being subtle is over…I'm laying out a lot of my cards. Words must now lead to actions, which will lead to results, even consequences. This is the basis of the summer segment…we're slowly getting to the ending of it! YES!
 
I'm so sorry for saying in my review replies that this be out soon…hell, I wished! But hopefully it was all worth it! This chapter is solely for the Yuki's lovers out there…I don't think I've ever had a chapter solely about him. Hm… But yeah, lots of turmoil and under-handedness going on here.
 
My OCs sure got a lot of screen time, too…even a new one came out of the woodworks. My hope was to finally reveal them as who they are, in turn, preparing for the roles they'll take in future chapters. Trust me…it'll be important.
 
Hm…I recommend that you recall previous chapters in order to understand some things in this chapter…chapters 25 with Kureno discussing how the family works with Yuki; chapter 38 is where I first made mention of my OC, Keisuke…short but just a reminder of who is he; chapter 43 with the Gala party and Kagura and Yuki are discussing the problems relating to Seto and her family and Ritsu; the infamous chapter 45 that was all about the struggle for power within the Board; chapter 46 is with Ritsu discussing his problems with Seto to Yuki; chapter 52 is my very rare Yukiru moment at the beach where Tohru made her decision to stand by him. Of course, sidefics help, too, so feel free to review “Sometimes…” and “The Problems with Rats” part 2. It's not too much, is it?
 
Phew, this was hard labor…does it show? Yuki and Kumiko moment was meant to be very brief but somehow developed beyond the `hello'. It was good…I was able to bring to light his position as the Nezumi and why he was so special to begin with. With Yunosuke, I wanted that moment in which Yuki saw the distinct contrast of Yunosuke being brothers with Tetsuya…it was sort of an envious moment for Yuki since he never had that sort of relationship with his brother at that age, but it was also a moment for Yuki to shine and comfort Yunosuke about his doubts with his brother.
 
And then there was Seto and Yuki…that wasn't going to be pretty…or easy. I'm telling you, this chapter was TOUGH. Why?!? Because of this guy…all led up to this segment of the story that I supposedly laid out so beautifully months and months ago. Some pre-work I did…didn't help me much. Ah well, it's here and it's done. How do you like my use of Shakespeare's wording (Yuki quoted this to Seto…'It's not enough to speak but to speak true.)? Again, the dialogue was extensive and maybe even OOC on Yuki's behalf, but we are dealing with threats from a family member that was trying to basically take control, throwing the Jyuunishi into chaos…Akito was alone in fighting this off, but now Yuki has resolved to stand up for others when they cannot…like Ritsu or Kagura. This mentality on both parties will come to a stunning confrontation…guaranteed.
 
Yukiru anyone? This was totally last minute and hopefully sweet…and after maybe a year or so, Pocky-chan's song request to be applied in my fic is now upon us. “All You Wanted” sung by Michelle Branch fits the mood just right I think! Sorry for the long wait, sweetie, but I hope it's so worth it!
 
I also wanted Tohru to be more involved from here on out, even if it's in these small moments. It held great meaning as the ending words of the chapter alluded to the fact that she will have her role in the upcoming moments in this summer segment. Man, I'm getting psyched!
 
So…Obon is next…more words leading to actions…revelations of sorts. Very good stuff coming down! I hope everyone is enjoying the waning summer (or if you're in another part of the globe, whatever season you're having, I hope it's all good and safe—damn hurricanes) and will enjoy this fic even more as it trudges along.
 
I admit I was bitten with the summer lazy days bug and it's been a blast to just chill. I'm glad it wasn't too severe. I have updated profiles in FFnet, Deviantart, and almost my homepage…I'll fix that soon.
 
Still, I'm up and at `em, and waiting to hear from you, dear readers! To all who read and include me in your alerts or have my fics as your faves, THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! It's so good to know that you find enjoyment in these fics of mine. I may not have a large following as other stories, but it's okay as long you keep coming back to me when you can! So review away, throw a party in my bin, blast this story for taking so long, blast me for being crazy, anything that you want to say…just click that arrow button and chat away!
 
Luvs to all and catch ya later…ja ne!