Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Butterfly Effect ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6:
 
Disclaimer: Hmm… I forget to tell you guys this, but in case you didn't figure it out already, I don't own Fruits Basket and all of the characters except for ones that are obviously mine.
 
Uo yawned, falling down into the grass the next day. It was their physical education block and today the teacher said that there was going to be a surprise for the class. “Man, what a game! I didn't think Kitty-boy would lose that bad!” Uo laughed, propping herself up on her elbows, “and then this morning! I didn't think Princy could be that not charming first thing in the morning.”
 
“Yes, it was quite amusing the first three times he hit the wall when he missed the door,” Hana agreed, nodding and holding a small baggie of various fruit leathers.
 
“Shut up you sissies!” the physical education teacher barked at the class, “today, my counterpart decided that since he will be out today, I have to take over his class. This means co-ed class today ladies.” PE classes were usually taken separate, boys with one teacher and girls with another, to make the class supposedly more fair to each gender. Hearing the news, there was a mixed reaction between the girls. While some cheered (the Yuki fan girls), the others grabbed their sweat pants to ward off the boys wandering hands. There was also a small third group that didn't care in the least, of which the trio was the majority, and just shrugged off the change in schedule. Following the teacher to the fence that separated the boys' class from the girls' class, the teacher unlocked the gate and allowed the girls to come through before locking it again.
 
The PE boys looked around from their lazing about, curious about the females in their presence. “Today, I will be teaching both classes, so we'll make this simple,” the teacher handed a ball and a small stack of cones to a boy and a girl, “we are going to play girls versus boys capture the flag. If your flag is pulled on the opposite team's ground, you must go to their jail. If you somehow manage to get the ball to your own team, you score a point. Now, everyone grab a flag and start when I blow the whistle.” The teacher stalked over to a tree and sat down in his lawn chair and pulled out his laptop.
 
“Hey Kyo-kun!” Tohru waved the boys over, “Good morning Yuki-kun!” the girls and boys faced off on opposite sides of the line. `I have an idea.' Tohru thought toward Kyo, he nodded, listening. `Let Hana, Uo or I pull your flags so you have less of a chance at something happening, okay?' Kyo nodded, watching Yuki out of the corner of his eye.
 
`But let's not make it too obvious, eh Kitty-boy?' Uo added
 
Kyo bristled, “stop calling me that Yankee!” Yuki and half of the class looked at Kyo after his outburst, but shrugged if off soon after. Grumbling, Kyo turned to Yuki and whispered the plan in his ear. Nodding quickly, Yuki prepared for his charge. The whistle blew and Yuki made a dash between Uo and Tohru, who both grabbed a flag from his belt. Handing his flags back, the girls escorted Yuki to the jail before heading back to the line.
 
A girl saw them escort Yuki to the jail and charged, screaming, at Tohru. “Man, you'd think with all that noise she was in bed—“
 
`Behind you!' Kyo warned, watching the girl come up fast. Tohru and Uo ran half way to the boy's `flag' before they were both tackled out, as well as the screaming girl. While Kyo watched the girls get tagged out, he accidentally stepped across the line and Hana pulled his flag. Hiking her finger over her shoulder, she marched Kyo to the jail to join Yuki.
 
“Hi Kyo.” The girl that was set on jail duty purred, twirling a lock of hair around her finger. Completely ignoring her, Kyo sat down against the tree that the jail was by. “How are you doing today?”
 
“Not right now, Kotenshi.” Kyo mumbled, watching the game through slit eyes.
 
“Hey, I'm here to get you out,” a guy from the opposite team spoke up, having easily just walked by the jail guard.
 
“Oh, poo, you weren't supposed to get through!” Kotenshi whined, sticking out her bottom lip.
 
“Sorry honey, rules are rules are you missed your chance because you were flirting.” The guy turned his waist slightly so that she could see that both of his flags, instead of being on his hips, were over his butt cheeks.
 
Giving them a sick look, Kyo turned toward Yuki, “you wanna go, or should I get tagged out again.”
 
“Who has less of a chance to get mauled?” Yuki mumbled back, his eyes closed.
 
“Right,” Kyo stood up, brushing the grass from his shorts; `I'm coming back in,' from where she was, Hana gave Kyo a quick glance in confirmation. While most of the players weren't watching, Hana had walked to the side that the jail was on and had walked most of the way to get Tohru and Uo out. Somehow, all three girls made it back to their side without a single look… or it was actually because all of the guys decided that they didn't want castration by an electric shock, thus ignored them.
 
Looking over at the teacher, Tohru smiled and gave a small wave. `Okay guys, we have to look more convincing. Try to tag out some of the other guys instead of just stalking Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun.' The girls spread out along the line, checking out the other team.
 
`We have a runner, Tohru-chan, interference.' Uo called out, chasing after one of the more spry guys on the other team. Hana came in the side, walking, and made sure he went straight for Tohru. While the guy wasn't looking, Tohru swiped at his belt. Spinning out of the way, he nearly collided with another girl, who pulled his flag off and sent him to jail.
 
TWEET!! The whistle blew from the teacher. Another one of the guys had snuck in while the first guy was running a distraction and captured the ball.
 
(O)
 
“That game sucked.” Uo said, adjusting the ice pack that was on her leg. “Zen-Zen, what a creep, and look at this bruise!” she didn't even have to lift the ice pack because the bruise had blossomed to become larger than the baggie. “If I ever see him on the street, he's got another thing coming!”
 
“Our score was indeed most disappointing.” Hana agreed.
 
“But at least we didn't get too injured, right?” Tohru spoke up, walking back from her visit to the nurse's office.
 
“If you don't consider that hurt, then I don't know what to call you… invincible?” Uo mumbled, passing Tohru her lunch.
 
“Ne, Tohru-chan, what happened?” Momiji asked, looking at the ice pack that she held in her hand. “Can I kiss you and make you feel better?” the rabbit was thumped by Kyo. “Wahh! Kyo's being mean again!”
 
Tohru blushed at Momiji's suggestion, but shook her head. “One of the teachers was absent this morning for PE, so the boys and the girls played capture the flag together.”
 
“And man, after you got Princy out for the third time, I didn't think those girls were gonna let you live!”
 
“I'm fine, really. Just a few scratches and a bump on the head, it's nothing that hasn't happened before.” The boys gave Tohru a curious look, but decided not to ask. For now.
 
`Why can't I feel any of your pain when I felt when I thumped you last night?' Kyo asked, watching Tohru place the ice pack on the back of her head.
 
It took a few moments, but Tohru closed her eyes and leaned against a tree slightly to help pin the ice pack in place. `Because we're using our barrier to block the pain from each other.' She let down her barrier for a moment and Kyo cringed, holding his head.
 
“Don't you love those pain pills that the nice nurse gave us? She only said I had a mild concussion and that the swelling would go down by tomorrow, isn't that great?”
 
“Are you sure that you don't want to go home early Tohru-chan? Shigure would probably even call Hatori for you also.” Yuki suggested, eyeing the scratches on her arms.
 
Tohru shook her head, cringed, and then smiled at Yuki. “No, I shouldn't miss any school if I can help it. And Hatori's so busy with his other patients; I wouldn't want to take any time out of his day.”
 
Yuki gave an exasperated sigh, “if you pass out, we can't exactly carry you home Tohru-chan.”
 
“The girls in your class are violent,” Haru spoke up for the first time since lunch started, “I watched them out of the classroom window.”
 
“Ne, you shouldn't be daydreaming Haru!” Momiji teased, grinning.
 
“And you shouldn't let them beat you up,” Kyo glared into Tohru's eyes, `I saw you fight the other day, you could have beat them easily.' Anger and worry colored the neko's thoughts.
 
Tohru smiled off Kyo's worry, `if I would have fought them off, then they would have most likely started hurting other people to try to hurt me more.' “I'm sorry. I'll try not to let it happen again.”
 
Kyo went to thump Tohru's head, but thought better of it. “Good.”
 
(O)
 
Tohru picked up the phone after the third ring, “Hello?” she asked hesitantly.
 
“She said it was okay to use her house.” Tohru nodded and remembered that Uo couldn't hear her nod.
 
“That's good. Is everything set for tomorrow?”
 
Uo made an affirmative noise, “Hana will bring your cloak tomorrow morning, Obaa-chan's doing some finishing touches tonight. The school already knows that we're `volunteering for the police department' tomorrow all day and we'll walk to the police station when we get to your house, okay.”
 
“Okay,” Tohru looked over her shoulder to the other occupants in the room, “bye.”
 
“Bye.”
 
“I assume that it would be for your benefit if I just stay the night then, Honda-san, correct?” Hatori motioned for Tohru to sit back down at the kotatsu to get the rest of her cuts disinfected and lightly wrapped for the night. Hatori looked under the slightly large bandage on Tohru's forehead and poked the stitches lightly. “Your cut is healing up fine, just don't overdo it tomorrow.”
 
Tohru looked down in embarrassment, muttering a `hai'. Screwing up her courage, Tohru smiled and looked into Hatori's eyes, “I'll do my best.”
 
Hatori nodded, patting the girl on her uninjured shoulder. “I know a few boys in particular that wouldn't like you getting hurt. Be careful.”
 
“Hai.”
 
(O)
 
Sorry for taking so long. No excuse but laziness and lack of time. Dark