Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Pain of Love ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
And I'm back! Back with another chapter and back to school. That's good for everyone that likes the story, since it means I'll be able to update more often. Woot! So yeah, for all of you reading and not reviewing, you suck. Well, only a little. Because you're still reading. :) So yeah, review! Thanks to those of you that have, I love you all.

Disclaimer: Haven't we already gone through this? It's not mine ok?

Chapter 5

Tohru woke early the next morning and wondered what she was doing sleeping on the couch. A throbbing pain flooded her head when she tried to move, and yesterday’s events came back to her in a flash. A small groan escaped her lips, despite her efforts to suppress any indication that she was in pain.

Immediately, Hatori, who had fallen into a light sleep in the living room, was up and by her side. “How are you feeling, Honda-kun?” he quickly asked, a professional tone to his voice.

“Oh, Hatori-san, I’m feeling fine. Thank you for asking,” she replied automatically, hiding the throbbing pain from him lest he worry about her.

“Are you sure? That cut on your head is fairly large; I wouldn’t be surprised if it caused you some pain. The same goes for the bruises on your side.”

Tohru blushed fiercely as she realized he’d examined her already at some point while she had been unconscious. She softly admitted, “Well, my head does hurt a bit when I try to move it. I-I haven’t tried to move anything else yet.”

“I suggest you simply try to lie still for awhile. You have no serious injuries, but you will still need plenty of rest if you want to recover quickly,” Hatori told her simply, a small smile playing across his normally solemn features. “After all, there are plenty of people in this house that become quite upset whenever you aren’t feeling well.”

“In that case, I think I’m going to take a nap,” Tohru said through a stifled yawn, exhaustion once more taking over her body.

A short time later Kyo wandered downstairs, extra careful not to make any noise that would disturb the sleeping girl in the living room. He quickly popped his head into the room containing Tohru and asked Hatori, “How is she?”

“She woke up a little while ago, and then went back to sleep. Overall, she is doing as expected; she’s completely worn out.” Kyo turned his head to leave the room in peace when Hatori spoke up again. “Kyo, something happened yesterday. I don’t know what it was exactly, but it put her in the path of Akito’s anger. Be thankful Akito has been sick recently. Otherwise, her injuries may have been far more serious than they are. Whatever happened, it would not be wise to repeat it. Next time, Akito might not be so weak.”

Kyo was suspicious, it wasn’t like Hatori to pry into other’s affairs or volunteer advice, advice to the cat that is. He decided to be honest, but only to an extent. After all, Kyo did tend to keep his feelings locked away in the deepest corners of his heart, only taking them out and examining them in the private of a rooftop. “I don’t know how she met Akito. I saw something yesterday, and then I went off by myself the rest of the day. End of story,” Kyo mumbled.

“I see. And I suppose this something was between Honda-kun and Yuki.”

“What do you know?” Kyo shouted and stormed from the room. Hatori silently nodded his head; judging from Kyo’s reaction, the topic had struck a nerve. What could have happened with Tohru and Yuki? Hatori’s eyes slightly widened as he realized what would draw such a reaction from the fiery cat.

He didn’t have time to ponder it much, however, because Kyo’s shout woke up Tohru, and her eyes flew open. Hatori managed to quickly calm the startled girl and made sure she was asleep again before chasing after Kyo.

Unfortunately, Kyo’s shout had also woken up several other family members, among them a rather groggy Yuki. “What are you shouting about so early in the morning, you stupid cat? Do you really want to disturb Honda-san when she should be resting?” he asked as he came downstairs.

Kyo’s eyes glowed with anger, images of the two kissing flooding his mind. “Why you damn-” Yuki’s hand swiftly covered the cat’s mouth, silencing his shout abruptly.

“What did I just say about disturbing Honda-san? Now be quiet. You can fight me for her later.” Kyo fought to stifle another shout at the rat, knowing in his heart that Yuki was right this time. There would be plenty of opportunities later to fight him.

Just then, Hatori tapped Kyo on the shoulder, causing the boy to jump several feet into the air in surprise. “Kyo, please keep an eye on Honda-kun today while we are visiting Akito. I suspect she’ll spend most of the day sleeping, but don’t hesitate to get me if her condition happens to worsen. As I said before, I don’t foresee any problems, but here’s a list of things to look for, just in case.”

Kyo looked surprised at first, then slowly realized that of course he would be the one to watch over Tohru. Keeping her company had been his primary occupation on this vacation, and he’d enjoyed it. Somehow he suspected today would not be as pleasant for him. He noticed Yuki looking unhappy at the thought of Kyo staying alone with Tohru all day, and the cat sneered, “Don’t worry, damn rat, it’s not like I’m going to take advantage of her or anything.”

Yuki flushed, the cat practically stating his thoughts word for word. “I hadn’t thought you would be that stupid, stupid cat. But if you do try anything, I swear I’ll kill you.” Yuki’s composure returned as he spoke, and he glared at the cat.

“I’m not stupid!” Kyo shouted, anger overwhelming him once more.

“Boys!” Hatori interjected before the fight could escalate into physical violence that would inevitably lead to the destruction of some part of the house. “If you must argue, do it outside where Honda-kun won’t be disturbed. She needs her rest and can’t get it with the two of you fighting over her like this.”

Reluctantly the boys went outside as the other residents of the house made their way downstairs and Shigure called for takeout for breakfast. Once outside, tempers flared again. As usual, Kyo attacked first, with Yuki easily dodging the cat’s fist. The rat proceeded to effortlessly block a series of punches and kicks from the enraged feline, until he saw an opening and kicked Kyo across the yard.

“Too easy, as usual,” Yuki said, tired of Kyo’s ceaseless temper. Kyo remained quiet as he picked himself up from the grass, glaring at the winning rat.