Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ The Pain of Love ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I meant to post this last night, but I had a killer migraine and sleep sounded a lot better than sitting in front of a computer posting a chapter. Sorry. But hey, I posted it a day late, no big deal. ^_^ Next chapter....I don't know. Probably soon, but then there won't be another update for awhile. You see, the vast majority of this story is already written, but I need to do some massive revisions on some chapters in the near future. Massive revisions=longer between updates. Anyway, thanks to everyone that has reviewed, you make me feel loved. ^_^

Disclaimer: Must I say it again? Fine....it's not mine.

Chapter 6

Kyo tried to avoid Tohru most of the day, but he inevitably found himself drawn to her side. He watched her sleep, her chest gently rising and falling as she breathed. He never thought anyone could mean so much to him. And yet, she didn’t love him. Not like that anyway. She loved Yuki. The damn rat had won again. Kyo wanted to hate her. He wanted to scream at her for her betrayal. How dare she accept his true form and then reject him like that? However, as he sat and watched her, he found his heart melting once more. He couldn’t hate her. He couldn’t even dislike her. No, he loved her. Honestly, truly loved her. And so, despite his hurt at her choice, he knew in heart that all he really wanted was for her to be happy. If being with Yuki meant she would be happy, then so be it. He wouldn’t interfere, no matter how much he wanted to. Kyo thought back to all the times they had shared together. Her goofy smile flashed through his mind, as did her adorable panicking whenever something even remotely went wrong. He smiled in spite of himself. She really was too cute for her own good. He remembered shared moments on the roof of Shigure’s house, shared meals she had prepared herself, and shared secrets in the dead of night. How could he have been so wrong about how she felt? How did he manage to fall so hard for someone who didn’t feel that way too? Kagura’s face came to his mind, and he cringed. Was this how she felt every time he shunned her? Kyo found himself gaining a new respect for the girl that had plagued his life since they were children. His thoughts turned back to Tohru. Yes, he wanted her to be happy. She was always adorable, but especially so when her goofy grin spread across her face. Maybe he’d even stop fighting Yuki; he knew she always hated it when the two fought.

Kyo’s face clouded over with that thought. If he stopped fighting Yuki, he’d be locked up for sure, which he definitely didn’t want. Damn his stupidity. Why did he have to make that bet with Akito? Then again, if he was locked up, he couldn’t interfere with the relationship even if he wanted to. Yes, that would be best for her. Yuki would be there to comfort her, though the thought of the rat being with her still stabbed his heart whenever he thought about it, and she would be happy until he left because he wouldn’t be fighting Yuki. He would restrain himself and not fight the damn rat, for her. It was the only thing he could think of to do to express his love for her.

As Kyo condemned himself to imprisonment, Tohru fitfully slept, her dreams filled with horrible images of Kyo being dragged away and Akito laughing at her as she cried for the cat. She awoke with a start, her last dream more disturbing than the others she’d had. Yuki and Kyo had been fighting, and Yuki had injured Kyo. As she watched, Akito had appeared and stood next to the fallen cat, laughing at her for crying. Then, Akito had kicked Kyo hard, again and again. However, in the dream, Akito was no longer the frail man who had abused her; he was strong, very strong. He kicked the cat in the stomach, the head, the legs, everywhere. Soon, Kyo was bruised and bleeding. Laughing, Akito disappeared as suddenly as he’d appeared. She’d run to Kyo’s side, and cried when the teen hadn’t responded to her voice. Hatori had suddenly appeared, and he had coldly pronounced Kyo dead. With the announcement, she’d woken in a cold sweat.

Her head throbbed from her sudden movement, and she sank back onto her pillow with a small groan. Looking to her side, she found herself alone, and she wondered if Kyo was here or out taking a walk. Slowly the events from yesterday returned to her, and she suddenly felt her heart leap to her throat as she recalled Yuki’s statement about the cat. Kyo had seen the kiss. What did he think? Would he hate her? She knew Kyo had always been protective of her, acting like a bodyguard for her at school. His protectiveness was one of the things she liked about him; she felt very safe in his presence. She felt safe with Yuki too, but it wasn’t the same. However, her present concern was for Yuki’s safety. Kyo became violent when angry, especially when Yuki was involved. Or was it when she was involved? Perhaps both?

Her thoughts were interrupted and relief flooded her as Kyo sauntered into the room, looking more angry than usual. “Oh, you’re up. Are you hungry? You’ve been asleep all day,” he mumbled, not looking her in the eyes.

“Yes, Kyo-kun! That would be wonderful! Thank you!” she replied cheerfully, hiding her fear that he hated her for kissing Yuki. ‘Oh no, he wouldn’t even look at me. He looks more upset than usual too. I’m sure it’s about the kiss, especially since he ran off like that yesterday. Should I say something to him? I don’t want to offend him. But what if Yuki-kun was wrong and Kyo-kun wasn’t in the woods yesterday? After all, it could have been an animal. Maybe a fox or something like that. Then I’d have to explain what I was apologizing to him for. Well, I usually need to do that anyway, but this time would be different. If he doesn’t already know, then he’d be hurt. I don’t want to hurt him, but I should probably apologize anyway, just in case he did see it and is angry with me. But maybe he doesn’t want to talk to me? After all, he hardly said anything to me when he came in the room. But if he hates me, he probably wouldn’t be cooking for me. But maybe…’ Tohru’s thoughts continued circling in her head to the point where her head started to ache from the indecision.

When Kyo returned to the living room with rice and soup for her, she was still lost in thought, indeed, so lost that she didn’t hear him until he said her name. She screamed at the sound of his voice, startled out of her endless circle of self-doubt. “Ah! Kyo-kun! You scared me! I didn’t hear you come in! I’m sorry!” Tohru exclaimed, panicking as he nearly spilled the soup on himself in surprise at her outburst.

“It’s ok; just try not to space out so much. Otherwise, you’ll give someone a heart attack with those screams,” Kyo said irritably. He sighed as Tohru began to panic once more. “Look, relax. I don’t care. Here’s your food. Now eat and get some more rest. You need it if you want to get better,” he told her gruffly as he gestured to her with the tray.

“Ok, Kyo-kun,” she replied meekly, worried that she’d upset him. As she attempted to sit up, her head swam, and she winced in pain. She sank back to her pillow in defeat. Not wanting to bother Kyo more than she already had, she tried again with the same results. This time Kyo noticed her wince as she tried to sit, and he immediately set the tray down and moved to help her.

“Stop. Let me help,” he commanded, worry creasing his face. He leaned over and helped her sit, arranging her pillows behind her.

“Thank you, Kyo-kun,” Tohru whispered, her head still throbbing but grateful for Kyo’s help. He placed the tray in front of her and left after he made sure she was eating.

As she ate, Tohru continued to ponder the events of yesterday, and soon, her spoon ceased moving from bowl to mouth as she once again became completely absorbed in her thoughts. No matter how many ways she turned the situation over in her mind she remained torn between apologizing to Kyo and remaining silent. This was a particularly unusual problem for her, since she normally would have apologized without pausing to second-guess herself. However, she was feeling unusually frightened of hurting Kyo, and something deep in her said that she perhaps had stronger feelings for him than she had previously realized. She didn’t want to risk losing both his friendship and the possibility of something more by making the wrong decision. She felt the what-ifs begin to surround her as she stared off into space, ignoring the soup cooling in front of her.

Kyo pulled her from her reverie by once more entering the room and scaring her half to death. “You didn’t finish your food,” Kyo observed, once more growing concerned. Even if she hadn’t liked the food, she normally would’ve finished out of sheer politeness; not finishing her lunch was extremely unusual, and it worried him.

“Oh, Kyo-kun, I’m sorry. It was very good, but I guess I wasn’t as hungry as I thought I was. I’m sorry to put you through the trouble of making it if I wasn’t going to eat it,” Tohru looked down, ashamed that she’d caused him trouble.

Kyo sighed in frustration. Sometimes her perpetual apologies were enough to drive him crazy, no matter how much he cared about her. “Tohru, how many times do I have to tell you? It’s ok, you don’t need to apologize for everything. After all, it’s not your fault you got hurt. It’s that bastard Akito’s fault. I mean, he IS the one that did this, right?” Kyo said, suddenly realizing no one had told him definitively that Akito had been the one who had hurt her. He’d just assumed, since Akito was always the most likely suspect when someone got seriously hurt.

Tohru looked down, clutching her spoon as tears welled up in her eyes as she recalled Akito’s harsh words from the night before. “Yes,” she whispered, barely loud enough for Kyo to hear, even with his sharpened senses. The volume of her answer caused him to look at her with concern.

“Tohru, look, I’m sure you’d rather talk about it to-” Kyo was cut off as everyone else burst into the house. He sighed and walked out of the room, unnoticed in the excitement.