Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ To be Forgotten ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
1

Tohru sighed. It had been a long day. Patients just kept coming into the little office that she hadn’t been able to take her lunch break. She was starving. But she knew that she had done a good days work.

She turned the corner and walked to the front of the apartment building she lived in. She went up to the third level and turned left. She walked up to her front door and fished her keys out of her bag and walked inside once she got the door open. She immediately took off her shoes and placed them next to the door frame. She still couldn’t get rid of that of habit even though she had long since been living in America. She stopped and thought about when she used to live in Japan. She had lived with her mother until her first year in high school when she died in an automobile accident. Then she lived with her grandfather until she graduated. She smiled remembering her grandfather. He had died when she was 22 and just out of college at her first job as a secretary. Now she was 27 and still a secretary but for a major dental firm. After she’d had that first job in Japan for a year she was transferred to America and now she was at the boss of the people she used to be back in Japan though she did work behind the counter sometimes.

Tohru walked into the kitchen and started to make herself dinner. She smiled as she chopped the vegetables and put them into the pot of stew. She often wondered why she never became a cook when she loved to cook things. For some reason though she would always remember coming home from school and cooking and cleaning but when she remembered living in her grandfathers house she never did that much cooking or cleaning, even when she’d offer her aunt would politely refuse. It was as if she had two sets of memories. Though it was probably just remembering when it was just her and her mother.

She put the kettle on for tea and went outside to get her mail. She walked down the steps with a happy feeling, loving that she was finally home after a long day. She went to her mail box and pulled a small stack of letters. She sifted through them finding several to be junk mail trying to sell her things or buy a new credit card. She put these to the bottom of the stack while she climbed the steps up to apartment. There were some bills and a letter from her friend Gina, who worked with her at her job. Gina had been telling her that she needed to find a man before she turned thirty and got too old. Tohru would always reply that she was fine being by herself. She never really thought of having a boy friend because she was happy as she was. Gina had set her up with some men and they were very nice but she always had a feeling that her heart couldn’t love them for some reason.

Well she didn’t need a man to complete her because she had all that she wanted. Though for some reason that didn’t feel quite true. It was as if she’d forgotten something. Something important. But she felt this everyday so it was probably she had forgotten to do something little each day, like bring in the mail one day and then the next she would forget to put on matching socks. Probably something like that. She smiled to herself at the thought of miss-matching socks and how silly that would look for her in her nice matching skirt and shirt sets.

She walked into the room and checked on the stew that was almost done. The kettle let out a sharp note and Tohru poured herself some tea and served herself some of the stew. She smiled and knelt at the low table. She just couldn’t let go of her Japanese traditions.

She crawled into bed at ten and fell asleep. That night she had the dream again. The handsome man putting his strong hand over eyes. She tried to look at the man but his faced obscured, like she was looking through the wrong end of a telescope. All she could see was a bright green eye and a fall of hair over the other. She saw a single tear fall from under the locks of hair in the front of his face. Then she could see no more for his hand. There was a blinding light and she couldn’t see anything except the light. Then darkness. Tohru shot up into a sitting position. This wasn’t the first time she had this dream. She’d been having it ever since she came to America. Although sometimes it was different. In the other dream there would be the handsome man with another man that was crying. She could never see their faces but she could tell that they were both handsome and crying. A crease formed on her forehead as she thought. She had to go to Japan. She didn’t know but she felt that she needed to go. That someone needed her help.

She got out of bed and headed for the bathroom for a shower.

* * * * * * * *

She walked into the office and the sky fell down.

“Kyaaa!!!” She screamed as the sky fell and there was instant noise. Then there was laughter. Tohru had fallen over shielding her head with her arms. She looked up. The whole office was in front of her and laughing. A huge ball of confetti had fallen and she had mistaken it for the sky. Tohru joined in with the laughter.

“Here.” Doctor Freeman helped her up.

“Happy Birthday!” Everybody shouted.

“Uwah! I forgot it was my birthday!” Tohru said blushing. “But you didn’t have to do this.”

“Yeah, we didn’t have to but we wanted to. Or we just wanted cake, same thing.” One of the clerks joked and everybody laughed. From somewhere they pulled out a cake and everybody had a slice. After this they gave Tohru her present.

“Oh this too much.” Tohru aid.

“It’s okay we all pitched in for it.” Rachel said.

“What?!” Tohru was holding a plane ticket to Japan. “But…I…” She didn’t know what to say.

“We’re giving you a vacation. You deserve and need it.” The boss said stepping up.

“But I can’t, I have to work-”

“C’mon. Take them. How long has it been since you’ve visited your friends and family?” Doctor Freeman asked looking at her.

“Well it has been awhile…” Tohru admitted.

“Then take the tickets!” Gina said.

“Okay. Thank you so much everybody!” Tohru had tears in her eyes she was so happy.

‘Well, I’m going home!’ She thought excitedly.

* * * * * * * *

Tohru was very excited about returning to Japan. She had recently gotten a letter of a reunion for her old high school. When she had first read it she was a little disappointed because she couldn’t go. Now she was excited to see all her class mates that she hadn’t seen in 10 years. She could even see Uo and Hana! They had tried to write to each other but all were so busy that they hadn’t spoken or heard from each other in 2 years. Tohru picked up her luggage as she heard her flight number called for boarding. She sat down in a seat ext to the window and stared outside watching all the people running around outside the plane.

Despite being excited that she was about to see all the people she hadn’t seen for years, she was very tired. In all the years she’d worked at that firm she’d never taken a day off. She didn’t celebrate Christmas so she always worked then and she never took sick days even when she was sick. She would always reason that she was well enough to work. She wasn’t around people that often so she never spread her sickness.
“If you’re really sorry then get over that cold.” These words popped into Tohru’s head. Where had she heard those words before? Nobody had ever said anything about her being sick when she was. She would always cover it up by acting like everything was perfectly fine, so where had she heard those words before. Tohru leaned her head against the window and fell asleep with the image of bright orange hair.

Tohru woke up to a flight attendant shaking her gently.

“Excuse me miss, the plane has just landed.”

“Oh! I’m sorry!” Tohru jumped up and collected her things and went into the aisle. She walked down from the plane and got a taxi to take her to a hotel. She smiled to herself. She still remembered the street names that she knew even after 10 years. She watched the scene outside the cars window. Almost everything looked the same. A few shops weren’t there and there were some new ones in their place but for the most part it was like she was 17 again riding in Hatori-san’s car. Hatori-san? Who was that? Tohru tried to remember any Hatori-san from her memories of being high school but she couldn’t remember even knowing somebody who had that name. Then did she remember being in his car? She remembered a black car with a western style but she couldn’t remember the person who drove it. That was odd. The car she remembered was probably just a car that she liked back then. Tohru pushed this thought out of her mind as she looked out at all the people.

When the taxi was finally Tohru got out of the car and paid the man. She checked into the hotel and went to her room. It was a good sized hotel room. When you first opened the door there was a small hallway that lead to the living room section with a desk by the window and a couch. On the right there was a door that opened into the bedroom and the bathroom was next to the bedroom on the right. Tohru unpacked her things and decided to go out and see her old friends.

Tohru grabbed her purse and room key and headed out. She had considered telling her friends that she was coming back but she thought it would be a nice surprise.

Tohru walked down the streets and looked into some of the shop windows and gazed at the merchandise. She continued on her way. Tohru turned the corner and was walking down the street when she felt she was being watched. She turned around t see who was staring at her and she saw a tall young man that looked about her age with the oddest hair she had ever seen. Tohru guessed he dyed his hair but still didn’t know why he was staring at her. She turned back around and continued on her way for awhile. When she looked back again the man was gone. Tohru shrugged and continued down the street.

* * * * * * * *

He was walking down the street one day out of boredom when he saw her. He blinked. It couldn’t be her, could it? She was supposed to have gone to America for a better job. She didn’t remember them but they kept close tabs on her. When they heard that the plane she was on crashed they were mortified. They all searched to see if she had survived. Everybody had used all the people they knew that could get them information but they couldn’t get anything about her being dead or alive. Then Akito came to us with the obituary section of a newspaper. Her name was there. Everybody was depressed after that. Especially Yuki. He and Kyo took it the hardest. Kyo wouldn’t talk or eat or show any signs of communication for months. Eventually he got better and was fine now. But Yuki didn’t do what Kyo did. He didn’t do anything. He kept acting the way he normally did even with hearing about Tohru’s death. He acted perfectly normal. But he had seen Yuki that one night in at his house. He had gone to visit Yuki when he heard the smash of glass breaking. He looked through the window and saw Yuki standing over the plate that had been thrown against wall. Yuki collapsed to his knees sobbing and asking why she had to die. He knew that Yuki had been acting to be fine all along and seeing that just confirmed it.

It was slightly creepy though. To see the calm, collected Yuki break down into sobs…

But it was defiantly her. She had the same hair after all these years with the yellow ribbons that Yuki had given her for White Day in her hair. It was her. She turned around and their eyes met. For a second he was afraid she recognized him but then she turned back and started walking. There was only one way to make sure if she was actually Tohru. She turned around once more but he was at different place now so she didn’t see him on the other side of the street. She continued down the street. He followed her all the way to a house and saw an old classmate of his answer the door. Uotani Arisa-san. It was Tohru. He turned back quickly and started to sprint knocking over a few startled people in the process. He had to tell them. Tohru was back!

* * * * * * * *

He ran all the way to the main house. He crashed through the main gates (literally O.O) and sprinted up to the front doors. He would know what to do…

* * * * * * * *

Tohru knocked on the door. She was a little worried at what her friend would think. They hadn’t spoken in 2 years. Tohru’s heart was pounding and nearly shattered her rib cage when the door started to open.

“Tohru?” A 27 year old version of Arisa Uotani appeared with a frown on. Then one second later it was suddenly swept away replaced with a smile. Another second later and Tohru was being squeezed to death by her old friend.

“Oh Tohru it’s so good to see you! We haven’t been able to communicate in how long?” She asked.

“2 years.” Tohru said. “I’ve missed you all so much! We should call Hana-chan!”

“Yea. C’mon in.” Uo let her go and they walked inside. Uo caught a glance of a guy with white and black hair. Was that…No, it couldn’t have been… But maybe, was that that Sohma kid she went to school with? She hadn’t spoken with the Sohma’s since Tohru left to America. It didn’t feel right with out Tohru there.

Uo closed the door and quickly forgot about him and went to the phone to call Hanajima.

* * * * * * * *

“Hello Hatsuharu-kun. What brings you here?” Hatori asked keeping his official tone.

“She’s back.” He plainly said. Hatori stood there. There could only be one she he was referring to. Tohru Honda.

“She does have a job. She was probably sent by her job. You know what we must do.” Hatori said trying to rationalize the situation and remind Haru of what was expected.

“How can we just ignore her and stay away. She impacted our lives too much. You know it’s true.”

Hatori was slightly surprised at how much the young teenage Haru had grown up. He was still laid back and calm most of the time but he was a bit more serious and clear headed.

“We must. It is what Akito would wish.” No matter how much Hatori didn’t want to do it he still had to obey their God.

“Screw Akito. Tohru never wanted to forget. The least we could do is to bring back what she’s forgotten.” Hatsuharu was getting angry now. She was so close and Hatori expected him to let her slip away. Yuki still wasn’t back to his old self. She could help with that.

“Haru. You must think rationally. You say that you want to do her a favor, to bring back her memories. What you want to do is help yourself. She’s been fine without remembering us. She doesn’t need to remember.” Hatori stopped there. He knew that what he said would only result in Black Haru but it needed to be said.

“So want all of us to sit back and watch her go. What are you a coward, to disobey Akito?” With that Hatsuharu turned and left the compound.

Hatori sighed and went back in to the house. He couldn’t do any work now that he learned this new bit of information. Hatori looked down at his hand. Even after all these years he could still feel Tohru’s face under his hand the day he erased her memories. He could still feel the slight jolt that went through his hand to erase those memories of him and the others, of three years with the Sohma’s. Of course this didn’t help. Thinking about that only brought back the same feeling only with Kana under his strong hand. He remembered that day perfectly. Kana apologizing that she couldn’t protect him when he was the one that should have apologized. He couldn’t protect her. He couldn’t protect her or Tohru. He was given a second chance and that chance was Tohru. He thought after experiencing it once he had the strength to finally do it, but alas, he couldn’t even do that. Hatori walked through the halls when a honke came up to him.

“Excuse me Hatori-san, but Akito-sama wishes to see you.”

“Yes. Thank you.” The woman bowed and Hatori went to Akito’s room.

He entered the room and knelt at the tatami mat in the center of the room.

“Something troubles you Hatori, tell me.” Hatori stared wide-eyed at Akito’s back. Hatori couldn’t tell him, could he?

~ * * * * * * * * ~

Well, that’s finally finished. I couldn’t find a point to end it! Oh well, it’s done now. I hope you all enjoy this fic! I certainly am. Please review your input. I love to read what you have to say. Even the negatives. All it does is show me my weak points and then I can build upon that and get better. I hope you all Stay Happy ^.^ . I am, it’s my birthday! Yay!

Yasu-san