Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ To be Forgotten ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Be Forgotten

Chapter 2

Uo sat at the low table and stared across at Tohru.

“It’s great to see you!” She said. “I can’t believe it’s been so long.” Uo shook her head. When hey were in high school they promised that they would never lose touch. It’s funny how when you make promises like that it’s for the best but you can never keep them.

“Yes. I’ve missed you and Hana-chan so much.” Tohru smiled. She was so happy to see her old friends again. They were there for her whenever she needed them and she had lost touch. This time, though, she wouldn’t let the same mistake be made.

“Hana should be coming shortly. She said she had felt some familiar waves in the air and was coming over anyway. You know how she is.” Uo said.

Tohru laughed so happy that her friends hadn’t changed too much. Of course they all had grown up but Uo was still wearing long skirts and had a gang look but it was toned down a bit.

“So, what’s happened in the past years? Do you have a boyfriend? Are you married?” Uo was a little scared to ask this. If Tohru was married she would be a little sad that she hadn’t called and because Tohru found somebody.

“No! I’m still single.” Tohru laughed. If she was 17 she would have gone into a frenzy saying that nobody could ever like her. She still felt this way but she didn’t express it as much.

The door bell rang and Uo got up to answer it.

“Hana-chan!” Tohru exclaimed as Hana walked through the door way. It had been so long.

“Tohru.” Hana said, but even in her monotone excitement could be heard. The three friends sat around the table and shared all that had happened since Tohru left and they made a promise to never lose touch again and this time they would keep it, no matter what.

* * * * * * * *

“Something troubles you Hatori, tell me.” Hatori stared wide-eyed at Akito’s back. Hatori couldn’t tell him, could he?

Of course not. He had to protect Tohru. He couldn’t see her go through what Kana went through.

“Just some lack of sleep, Akito-sama. Work has been busy; it is that time of the year.” Hatori kept his no-expression face firmly set. Akito turned around and swept over to look at Hatori. He stared at him and was apparently convinced.

“Yes. You should spend some time with me and keep away from your patients some time.” Akito turned back around and sat down on the futon. “You may go.” Akito dismissed him.

Hatori left the room.

Akito smirked. ‘He’s hiding something from me.’ He thought. ‘It seems that even the Dragon has turned away from me since HER.’ Akito frowned at this thought. He thought he had dealt with her but it seems that she left a mark to deep on the name Sohma to be erased.

* * * * * * * *

“Oh! It’s that late already! Gomen nasai. I must leave.” Tohru got up and bowed to her friends.

“You should come back tomorrow. We can go out in the town.” Uo offered.

“Yes. We should do that.” Hana agreed.

“Okay. It’s settled. I’ll meet you here at 11.” Tohru said and with that she left. She walked down the steps and turned the corner. She was happy that she finally got to see her friends after so long. And this time they would keep I touch after Tohru left. Tohru smiled and walked down the street. She was looking in the windows of the passing shops when she was grabbed by the shoulders.

“Watch it there.” A face said not unkindly.

“Eh?” Tohru looked up and saw that a man had grabbed her. She had almost run right into him.

“Oh! I’m so sorry! Gomen nasai. I wasn’t looking.” Tohru bowed, some habits are just too hard to break.

“It’s fine.” The gray haired man said. Tohru looked at him. He looked like he was about her age and she thought she had seen him before…Then she realized she as staring.

“I’m sorry. I have to go.” Tohru brushed past with a slight blush crawling up her cheeks. ‘I feel like I’m 17 again, blushing after seeing a good-looking boy.’ Tohru thought. She hurried off towards the hotel.

The gray haired man watched her depart. He had a feeling that he had seen her before. He kept walking and arrived at that main entrance of where he lived. He walked through the main gates and went into his house. He walked directly to his bedroom and opened the drawer in his bedside table. He rifled through some papers in the drawer until he selected one.

It was a photograph. He stared at the photo. He recognized the three men in the picture. It was Shigure, Kyo, and himself. He remembered that day that they took the photo. But he didn’t remember one thing. The girl in the picture. He had never remembered the girl but she had always been there. He flipped the picture and read the his own hand writing that he had pondered for years. It read:

Shigure, Yuki, Kyo, and Tohru
Sohma summer house 2000

He read it again. Tohru. Who was she? Then he stopped. Why did he pick this photo out of all the papers in his desk? He thought he had seen that woman that had bumped into him the other day so he went through all his papers and photos that he had gathered over the years. He knew his memory had been erased by Hatori. He could feel the gap of memories that should be there. He knew that Akito had ordered it. But why? These papers were confiscated from him but he had snuck into certain areas that he shouldn’t have been in. There was a plus side to being the Rat. He was unusually quiet and could get out of tight situations and places. But now he was off topic. Tohru? Had that been the woman? He studied the photo. She did look like her. But it was hard to tell. That woman had been around his age and this was a picture from when he was 17.

Yuki set the photo down and rubbed his eyes with his hands. He was tired. Then he saw flashes of memories.

Brown, chocolate eyes. Yellow ribbons. A warm smile.

Yuki opened his purple eyes. Brown eyes and ribbons. He slammed his fist down upon the table. Why couldn’t he remember something useful? Something that would bring back the rest of his mind? He had gathered that he had been sick. Deathly sick. That was when Akito had his memories erased. Why had he been sick? He had asked all of the Jyuunishi thousands of times but they would either change the subject (Kyo, Haru, Momiji, and Kisa), tell him he didn’t need to remember (Hatori, Shigure, Ayame, Hiro, and Rin), cry (Kagura), or scream to the world that they were sorry and that it was their fault (this one’s obvious, ne?) He never asked Kureno. He had never talked to him much and didn’t even bother asking him, he was too close to Akito.

Yuki replaced the photograph and crawled under his bed sheets. He didn’t bother to get into his pajamas. He turned on his side and looked at his window. Who are you Tohru-san? He wondered as he drifted off to sleep.

* * * * * * * *

Tohru walked into her hotel room. She set her purse down on her bedside table and got dressed for bed. She sat down on her bed and took something out of her suitcase that she always kept with her. It was a photograph. She looked at it. It was a photo of herself and a boy playing at the beach. Tohru was smiling and laughing while splashing in the low waves. The boy was beside her with a small smile on. He had gray hair and purple eyes. Tohru stopped. ‘He looks just like that person I almost bumped into today.’ Tohru thought. Why did she have a photo of him? Then Tohru felt her whole body give an involuntary shudder and she felt very tires. She put the photo back and slipped under the covers and fell asleep.

* * * * * * * *

Yuki bolted upright panting and in a cold sweat. He had had that dream again. He saw a blinding white flash. Then he saw Akito holding a deathly sick Yuki telling him it will be alright. That he will forget and get better. Then Hatori came into the room and placed his hand over Yuki’s eyes.

“Please…no.” Yuki whispered. And then the blinding light again. That’s when woke up.

“What does it mean?” Yuki asked trying to calm his racing heart. “What did I not want to forget?” He asked this question for years and it was still unanswered.

Yuki got up and got dressed. It was 9:30. That was pretty good for Yuki. He tried to get up early but he wasn’t good in the morning. He went into the kitchen and made himself some tea (A/N: Without burning it! Way to go Yuki!) and sat down at his low table. He had brought the picture with him and was studying it. Who was she? Was she a friend of the Sohma’s? She had to be close to someone, Shigure or Kyo at the least, to have taken a picture with them. He got up and put his teacup in the sink and went outside. He was going to talk to Shigure. And get some answers this time.

* * * * * * * *

Tohru slowly opened her sleepy eyes. She had a dream that night. But it wasn’t like her other dreams before. She had seen a pair of beautiful, vibrant, purple eyes. And she had heard a soft voice saying her name: Honda-san. Then the eyes started to fade and glaze over until they were two white orbs that turned into a bright flash of light. That’s when Tohru woke up. ‘What’s with all these strange dreams?’ Tohru thought. She got out of bed and looked at the clock. 7:30. She was on vacation but she still got up early.

Tohru got dressed and put her favorite yellow ribbons in her hair. (A/A: Some habits are too hard to break. ^.^) Tohru went into the lobby of the hotel and picked up a cup of tea, yogurt, and an apple. She went back inside her room and ate. She pondered over her dream. Who’s eyes had she seen? Who’s voice had she heard? Tohru ate quietly and looked at the clock after she was finished. 8:15. Tohru went over to her suitcase and pulled out a book. The Da Vinci Code to be exact. (A/N: I don’t own this, but it’s good!) Tohru went over to the couch and sat down and read to kill time.

* * * * * * * *

Akito was pacing his room. That ‘Tohru Honda’ was in America. He knew that. But then what was troubling his precious Jyuunishi? She couldn’t have contacted them. Her memories were gone of them. She couldn’t remember them if she tried. Akito stopped his pacing. What if she did remember and had contacted the Jyuunishi? Akito grew angry. He started pacing his room furiously. All the Jyuunishi belonged to him. Nobody else! Why should they? He was their God! He ruled them. Kept them safe. Loved them. He stopped pacing. She would pay. Dearly. Akito smiled and a cold breeze swept through the room. The windows were closed.

* * * * * * * *

Tohru looked over at the clock. It read 10:30.

“Oh! I have to meet Hana-chan and Uo-chan at 11:00!” Tohru got up, grabbed her purse, and left her hotel room. She walked along the street, occasionally looking into a store window until she got to Uo’s house. She knocked on the door.

“Her early.” Uo said as Tohru walked in. Hana was already there, sitting in the living room.

“Well let’s get this show on the road!” Uo said. The 3 friends walked outside.

“I just remembered. Our high school reunion is on Thursday. I was hoping we all could go.” Tohru smiled.

“That sounds wonderful.” Hana said with no emotion.

“You sound excited.” Uo said sarcastically. “It’d be nice to see Orange-head and Prince charming again.”

“Yes. It would.” Hana said.

“Ano…who?” Tohru asked. Uo and Hana stared at her.

“You don’t remember them?” Uo asked. “Now we have to go. You’ve been so busy that you’ve forgotten all about Japan.” Uo and Hana hugged her.

“Ano…” Tohru said feeling left out a little.

‘I guess I’ll remember when I see them.’ Tohru thought…

* * * * * * * *

Okay. This ending is kind of bad. But I’m tired of typing and I don’t know where else to end it. So it stays. I’m sorry I’m so lazy, but I’ve got all these projects that keep piling up and I’m overwhelmed so you might see many updates. Writing soothes me. *mellows out.*…Sorry. Anyway, I’m sorry that this has the same title as another fic. This was pointed out to me in a review. I swear I did not know this and did not steal it. Please don’t sue! Anyway, I hope you are enjoying this fic and Stay Happy! ^.^

Yasu-san

Oh yea…Sorry about the weird type in the first chapter. When I first posted it, I didn’t check to see if it was okay. But it’s fixed now!