Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Too Many Tears ❯ Let's Be Truthful ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Hey there! Okay I think I have found the song I am going to use for the next chapter so I wrote this to link it! A happy ending will prevail! WHOO!! HERE WE GO!
 
 
Let's Be Truthful
 
A year and a month. A time span that may not have seemed like a lot before the horrible twits of fate, but now seemed like forever. Days went by with the seconds ticking painfully, weeks were no longer only seven days and Kyo had had about enough.
 
His outburst a month ago had proved it wasn't going to work, and since then it had only gotten worse. Kagura had finally realized it, though he was sure she always knew, and had stopped trying. They didn't even sleep in the same bed anymore. Now all Kyo wanted was to escape, but how? A divorce, would that even work?
 
The phone rang loudly snapping Kyo out of his stress induced trance. He lazily got up and answered the annoying apparatus. If it was his choice, there would be no phones.
 
“What do you want?” Kyo's voice was colder then usual today and he could practically see the person on the other line wince.
 
“Kyo?” that voice, he knew it. Kyo couldn't say he was unhappy about the familiar voice, but he certainly wasn't overjoyed.
 
“Yeah, it's me…” Yuki sighed on the other line.
 
“It was hard to get this number.” He confided. Kyo snorted.
 
“What did you expect? Akito didn't want me anywhere near the other Sohmas, Kagura aside.” Kyo looked around the corner to see if the offending party was in the kitchen listening. To his relief she wasn't there but she had left a note. He quickly rushed through it.
 
“How is Kagura?” Yuki asked. Kyo wondered why he was supplying small talk but he was far to depressed to start fights.
 
“At the store according to her note.” Kyo supplied, chucking the note into the garbage and returning back around the wall to the living room. He pulled on the long phone cord and sat on the couch comfortably. “Why did you call Yuki? You aren't one to want to just `talk' to me. And god knows I don't want to `talk' to you.”
 
“I have information that might interest you…it's about your marriage.” Kyo sat up straight in shock.
 
“What?” his voice was calm despite his inner interest.
 
“You see, I was snooping at the main house and I came across something of great interest. A letter addressed to Akito from an unknown informer.”
 
“Informer?” It felt odd talking to Yuki like this. They had never done this before. Perhaps it was maturity or Kyo's lack of enthusiasm for life. Whatever it was it still felt odd to both of them.
 
“Yes. The letter was dated early September.”
 
“Spit it out rat!” that was more of the harsh Kyo Yuki knew.
 
“The letter said that the person found a way to cure individuals from the Sohma curse. A union both spiritually and traditionally with your true love is supposed to calm the vengeful spirit and put it at peace for a hundred years.”
 
“Meaning?” Kyo was getting bored fast and he didn't understand what Yuki was trying to tell him.
 
“Akito knew you loved Tohru and likewise. He made you marry Kagura so you couldn't break the curse with Tohru. The letter said `make sure the cat doesn't get the cure. He's just a reject of the family after all.'” Kyo swallowed hard and closed his eyes for a second. The action was meant to compose himself but it didn't work.
 
“That…bas-”
 
“Don't finish that!” Yuki ordered sternly.
 
“When did you find this letter?” Kyo somehow knew Yuki would be hesitant to give that information. He was hiding something. The line was silent. “Well?”
 
“About three weeks after you left.” Yuki confessed. Kyo slammed the phone on the ground so hard it broke into a million tiny plastic pieces. He panted wildly as his nostrils flared. The phone in the other room rang and Kyo sprinted to pick it up.
 
“Why did you do it?” Kyo snarled, not even waiting to see who it was He figured it was Yuki calling back.
 
“I wasn't done telling you all I found out. Also you and Kagura aren't legally married.” Yuki waited for the yelling but Kyo was far past that stage. He was at the break anything in sight stage now. As if to prove the point Yuki heard glass shatter.
 
Kyo stared at the now broken vase on the floor and got ready to speak again without yelling. He needed Yuki to stay on the phone a little longer then he would yell. “How do you know this?” Kyo asked far more calmly then he felt.
 
“Ayame told me. Hatori had told him. Turns out the document you signed and the ceremony was a fraud. He did a western style wedding for that reason as well, easier to fake. After all he didn't want to punish Kagura, one of the real zodiac animals, to a life with the cat. He needed a way for her to get out.”
 
“Does she know?”
 
“Probably not.” Yuki heard the sound of a wall being smashed in and was almost grateful he wasn't there. Perhaps if Kyo was mad enough he could even beat him.
 
When did you find that out?” Kyo shouted. “Same time you found out I could have broken the curse?” He was crying, Yuki was sure of it. Uncharacteristic for the loud mouth, vengeful, masculine, cat. Of course Yuki wouldn't comment.
 
“I was jealous of you. I wanted Tohru. I loved Tohru so much that I was willing to make her hurt, if it meant I might get her in the end. The only reason I am telling you this is because I have seen her die over the past year. I can't stand it anymore.”
 
“And what do you want me to do about it?” Kyo's voice was dry and emotionless.
 
“I'm going to help you get her back.”