Full Metal Panic Fan Fiction ❯ Christmas Panic ❯ chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3


Kaname stretched out on her bed and continued listening to Kyoko who was on the other end of the line.

“Ruby Earrings! How exciting Kaname.” Kyoko giggled

“Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Tsubaki's nice and all, but I'm just not interested.”

“Perhaps they would have been nicer coming from a certain soldier boy” Kyoko teased.

“What? Ha ha ha. Me...... like Sousuke. Ha ha ha. Your really losing it you know Kyoko.” Kaname was in hysterics with Kyoko's last comment.

“I don't know Kaname, I think Sousuke's really sweet. Maybe the two of you could spend Christmas together. I don't think he's going anywhere.”

“I don't think so Kyoko. Besides I've made plans now. I keep telling you I'll be fine and I mean it. Anyway, I'm going to bed. I have to work tomorrow you know! I'll talk to you later Kyoko. Bye for now.”

Kaname lied there for a long time, just staring at the ceiling. Life had changed dramatically for her since meeting the young soldier. She had learned about her life as a whispered. She had faced terrorists, arm slaves, bullets, and bombs since his arrival. She didn't mind though. Somehow, through all those trials in her life, she found someone that she could truly trust. She felt safe with Sagara. So why did it bother her so much that he was so clueless about the real world. Always jumping to conclusions about what was going on and usually having no idea about what was really happening. He was tiresome at best, but at the same time. Well, she just couldn't quite put her finger on it. She cared about him. How couldn't she. He had risked his life on numerous occasions to save her own. All of those tense situations had left her with some affection for him. He was often her knight in shining armor. She still wasn't sure if she liked him though.

Sighing, she walked through the house, shutting off her lights and double checking her locks. She paused for a moment to peer out her sliding balcony door. The lights to Sousuke's apartment where still on. He never went to bed before she did. It was a comforting thought as she closed the blinds and headed back towards her bedroom.

“Maybe I should see what Sousuke's doing for Christmas. I mean, I won't be able to eat all of the food I'll be cooking. He's probably never had a real Christmas, not living the life that he has.” She thought to herself. Suddenly she felt a little guilty for assuming that he would have gotten her something for Christmas. “He's probably never gotten a gift himself. I wonder? Hmmmmm just what do you get for a military nut like him.

She spent at least an hour lying in bed pondering just that question before finally falling asleep. Just what would a guy like Sousuke Sagara like for Christmas.


Kaname kept busy the first week of her holidays working at the small cafe just a few blocks from her apartment building. She hadn't seen much of any of her friends, mainly because of the hours she was working. She treated herself and slept in ever morning and by the time she got off work it was already midnight. She had talked to Kyoko the odd afternoon before her shift, but she was actually enjoying the time to herself. Sousuke had made the odd appearance, but it seemed to her like he had been avoiding her. He still was keeping an eye on her, but not really getting involved with her directly. He seemed really nervous for some reason.

It was four days before Christmas before he finally got up enough courage to speak to her about the matter on his mind. Weber had followed him to the cafe where she worked to offer up some moral support. It was his idea after all.

It was close to midnight when Kaname was finally finished her shift. The last night shift for this year. Sousuke was outside waiting patiently for her. It had started to snow just shortly before he had arrived. His coat was lightly dusted with delicate white crystals by the time Kaname made it outside.

“Evening Kaname.” Sousuke said as they began their short journey back to the apartment building. He was beginning to get nervous just walking with her. He wasn't sure what her response would be to his upcoming proposition.

“Sousuke, you didn't have to wait up for me. I could have walked home just fine on my own.” Kaname pouted a little, secretly adoring the fact that he would walk her home at such a late hour. She enjoyed just being with him, especially on a night as fine as this. Their boots crunched in the freshly fallen snow. It twinkled as it fell past the lamp posts glowing softly along the sidewalk. The air was crisp and she could see her breath just slightly. She was curious as to why Sousuke seemed to be in such a state on concentration. He finally decided to speak when they stopped just outside her apartment complex.

“Miss Chidori, I have a question to ask.” Sousuke blurted out. Out of nervousness, he straightened into a soldiers stance, legs tight together, arms at his side. He looked straight forward as if addressing a head commander.

“Miss Chidori. It would be a great honor if you would accompany me on a Christmas getaway.” He shot the words out, and held his breath until she responded.

“A getaway? Wait a minute, this wouldn't happen to be to something strange like a Mithril island or submarine would it?” Kaname looked a little angered, remembering the last time he had promised her a vacation.

“Negative.” he replied.

“Well Sousuke, I kinda already had plans.” Kaname was still unsure about the soldiers proposition.

Disheartened, Sousuke simply looked at the ground. His shoulders sagged in defeat.
He had hoped for the opportunity to give her a Christmas to remember. Apparently he should have asked her sooner.

“You promise that there will be no submarines, no terrorists, and no guns?” Kaname inquired, interested in the strange response her last statement had gotten. She was surprised when he looked up and smiled at her. It was odd seeing Sousuke smile, he rarely did so. She was beginning to notice that she was the only person he seemed to smile around.

“I promise. No guns.” Sousuke was ecstatic that she was interested in his idea.

“Alright Sousuke, I guess I could make arrangements. Do I get to know where we are going?” Kaname was smiling at the thought of a nice relaxing vacation with her soldier.

“Negative. Just pack warm clothing.” He nodded to her and watched until she had made it safely into her building. He then proceeded to head back to his own apartment.

“Whoooo! You almost blew that one Sagara!” Weber laughed as he came out of hiding from some nearby dumpsters. “You should have asked our little angel days ago!”“Is everything prepared Weber?” Sagara inquired.

“Eh! Captain! Operation Christmas Angel is a go! We'll be waiting for you at rendezvous point A. Your flight passes, passports, and spending cash for the travels are packed in your suitcase. Mao and I leave tomorrow morning at O 500 hours. One of us will pick you up at the airport when you arrive.” Weber smiled at his friend. “Maybe this time he'll make something of the opportunity. In the setting he'll be in, she'll be like putty in his hands. All he has to do is concentrate on not screwing it up. Better make sure Mao takes his guns away when he gets there!”