Full Metal Panic Fan Fiction ❯ Christmas Panic ❯ chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 4


“Yeah, I know Kyoko, I'll remember to take lots of pictures. I promise.” Kaname was again sprawled on her bed taking to her friend.

“I think its romantic. I mean, whisking you away just before Christmas. Do you have any idea where you are going?” Kyoko asked.

“None what so ever. All he said was to pack warm clothing. I wonder Kyoko, do you think what I got him is actually a gift. I'm not too sure. Not that I don't trust you, but I don't know it seems a little silly!” Kaname had finally gotten off the bed and was dragging her suitcase out of her storage closet.

“Kaname! It's the best. No normal gift would suit Sousuke. It's not like you could get him an Ipod or gift certificate or anything like that. Sousuke is so boring when it comes to normal guy stuff.” Kyoko herself was busy packing for her families trip to Kyoto.

“I know that. It just seems so small and insignificant. It just doesn't seem like much of a gift.” Kaname was trying to find that cute snug fitting white sweater that looked so cute on her.

“Trust me Kaname, Sousuke will love it. Remember, its not the size of the gift or how much it costs, it's what it means that is important. Plus, I'm pretty sure I know what is important to Sousuke.”

Kaname blushed at Kyoko's last comment. She continued packing for another moment before contributing to the conversation once more.

“You're strange, you know that Kyoko. Anyway, I better finish up here. I'll talk to you when we both get back to Tokyo. Say hi to all your family for me......And Kyoko........Thanks.” She clicked the locks on her suitcase closed.

“No problem Kaname. Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas Kyoko.” Kaname hung up the telephone and once again sat on her bed. She pulled a photograph from her nightstand.

“Well Mom. I guess I don't have to spend Christmas alone this year. I hope you don't mind me bailing on our plans.” Smiling she continued. “Of course you don't. I'll tell you all about it when I get back, Ok Mom?!.”

She decided to double check her suitcase once more before heading out her door. She made sure she had her passport and wallet, before hauling the large suitcase into the hallway that lead to the elevators. Sousuke was just coming out of the elevator when she was locking her apartment door.

“Evening Miss Chidori.” Sousuke announced his arrival.

“Oh, hey Sousuke, I'm running a little late. Sorry!” Kaname stuttered a little, somewhat embarrassed at the idea of spending the next few days alone with him. She was very curious about their destination. Her slight blush deepened when Sousuke's hand brushed hers as he grabbed her suitcase from her. She noticed when she glanced over that she was not the only one blushing at the accidental contact.

“It's not a problem. The cab is waiting for us down stairs Kaname, we should hurry.” Sousuke again stated.

It was indeed an awkward taxi ride to the airport and for once, it wasn't one of Sousuke's blunders. The tension between the two made the ride a very silent one. Both too embarrassed to strum up a friendly conversation. Kaname actually breathed a sign of relief when the arrived at the airport.

It was early in the evening on the 23rd of December when they were going through airport procedure, preparing to board the plane. Kaname suddenly glanced at Sousuke with a look of worry on her face.

“What is it Kaname” he asked.

“Sousuke,” Kaname whispered. “You didn't bring any guns or anything crazy like that with you? We're not going to make a big scene trying to get through the security checks are we?” She was a little to used to Sousuke's habit of flashing his gun whenever situations got tense. However, she knew that airport security would not be as forgiving as she was. The trip that she had been dreaming of suddenly appeared to have the potential of never getting off the ground in the first place.

“Its not a problem.” Sousuke was unsure of the reason Weber had insisted that all of his weapons go with Mao and himself before hand. Sousuke did not like the idea of not having some of his reliable pieces with him to protect Kaname if the situation arose. Now, though looking at Kaname's worried face, he was glad that his weapons would not make passage through security longer than necessary. Normally he waited until security had taken him to one of the back rooms. Then it was just a matter of showing them Mithril identification and having his identity checked. Not really a big deal. The government had allowed agents of Mithril to carry weapons with them through airports and on the planes themselves. Somehow though, he didn't imagine Kaname's reaction to being hauled into Securities search rooms would be very good. He was almost relived at Weber's logical thinking now.

Most planes were crowded with passengers on their way home for the holidays. Sousuke and Kaname however boarded a small passenger plane with no other passengers. Kaname was even more confused about their destination now. She had been expecting a ride on one of the large air buses, not the small ten passenger airplane that they had boarded. It was just like the time before when Sousuke had promised her a vacation and she had ended up on a submarine and then in the middle of a huge fight between Mithril and the evil man named Gauron. She was beginning to have doubts about the authenticity of the plans Sousuke had made.

A little annoyed Kaname decided to grill Sousuke once more about details of their trip. “I thought you said this wasn't Mithril related Sousuke.”

“It's not.” he replied simply.

“Then how come the special plane again?” She stared at him with an evil eye trying to scare him into some details.

To her surprise, Sousuke remained calm, and continued to stare out the opposite window to the one she was sitting by. He ignored her for a minute to exchange some brief words with the pilot, to quietly for her to hear.

“I promise you Miss Chidori, no Mithril. They were just kind enough to let us use this plane for our own plans. That is all.” he again got comfortable.

“You had best buckle your seat belt, Miss Chidori. We are preparing to take off.” Sousuke continued his nonchalant attitude.


Kaname was getting a little angered at his inability to give her a straight answer. But as she buckled her seat belt and stared out her own window, she was more excited than ever before. The more he played it out, the more she couldn't wait to get to wherever they were going. The suspense was killing her, in truth though, Kaname was enjoying it immensely.


Kaname had no idea what time it was when they finally started their descent. She had fallen asleep shortly after take off. They must have been flying for hours.

“So your finally awake. Good, where preparing to land.” Sousuke's voice snapped Kaname out of her sleepy state.

“How long was I sleeping?” Kaname muttered, wiping up some of the drool that had trailed out of her mouth.

“A few hours. Your snoring made in next to impossible for me to catch any rest.”

CRACK!!!!!

“Snoring! I don't snore you big jerk.” Kaname pouted and turned to watch out her window as the plane broke through a ridge of clouds. She was amazed to see very few lights below her. They weren't even landing in a mayor center. Perhaps that was the reason they had taken the small plane.

Sousuke was busy rubbing his new found lump when Kaname turned to ask him a question. Oblivious of the fact that she had just thrown the book she had been reading earlier at Sousuke's head.

“Are you going to tell me now where we are.” She smiled sweetly at him

“I'm afraid that's classified.” He wasn't about to give up the surprise when they were this close. He smiled to himself when she again through him that pout. She was unable to hide her excitement as the planes wheels met the runway and they slowly came to a stop. The airport they stopped at wasn't really much of an airport at all. In fact there was only three small hangers and one building on the whole site.

Snow swirled around them in the cool winter air as they got off the small passenger plane. Sousuke was busy thanking the pilot and gathering their suitcases, when a familiar voice called out to them.

A waving figure was illuminated from the lights of a nearby car. When they approached it, Kaname was surprised to see that it was Melissa Mao who was coming to greet them.

“Melissa?” Kaname asked.

“Kaname, its so good to see you. Merry Christmas.” Mao was quick to grab the girl and embrace her in a huge bear hug. “Come on, lets get your bags loaded and Sousuke and I will explain everything on the drive. Lets hurry, this snow storm might hit pretty hard tonight. I wanna be curled up beside the fire with a large scotch on the rocks before then.”

Kaname just smiled and helped through the suitcases into the trunk. It didn't take the trio long before they were though the gates of the airport and headed into the dark snowy night.

“So just what is going on, I thought this wasn't anything Mithril related.” Kaname again inquired hoping to get a straight answer. Staring as if in a trance at the snow that swirled in the light of the headlamps.

Sousuke just sat quietly and let Melissa explain as she drove through the stormy night.

“Well you see Kaname, since Kurz, Sousuke, and I have been working together, we have been coming out here to spend the holidays. Not one of us have families to spend it with whether from our lack of family entirely like Sousuke or just not liking our family like me! We have spent the last couple of years relaxing together out here.” Melissa concentrated on seeing the road through the snow as she explained to Kaname.

“Just where are we Melissa.” the whispered girl inquired.

“Oh right, we're in Germany.” she replied.

“Germany!” Kaname gasped at the thought. Why Germany? What connection did these three have to this country?

“You see, Kurz family is German. Kurz parents are both dead, but his extended family has some land and property here. His grandfather willed one of his small estates to Kurz after his parents died. Its a small manor and Kurz uses it as one of his getaways. We're lucky enough that he invites us out to use it as we please. Christmas isn't always one of the most joyous occasions for us, so when we do get the season off together like this year, we like to come out here and relax. You'll love it Kaname. It was built in the 16th century and was originally a Lord and Ladies home. Its a large manor, built entirely from rock and has been restored to much of its former glory. There is even the original stables inside the property walls. You like horses don't you Kaname?” Melissa slowed the vehicle and took a right had turn.

“Horses! I love horses. My mother and I used to go riding all the time when we were in America with my father. Is this really like one of those old castles you see on the discovery channel?” Kaname was delighted at the idea of spending a Christmas in a place like that.

“Well not exactly, it a manor, not a castle. It is large though. There are......let me think......ten bedrooms and suites I believe. Just as many bathrooms. Ummmm theres a library, a huge kitchen, even a small ballroom. Kurz has a few full time staff members that have been busy decorating the place. You'll love it. Oh. And tomorrow we are going to go out and cut down a tree to decorate. Won't that be fun!!!!” Melissa again slowed the car and made another turn. “Well it looks like we made it! Good thing to, it's really starting to snow out here. Welcome to the Weber Manor Kaname. I hope you enjoy you stay!”