Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ A Hero Returns ❯ Chapter 2: Mission ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Mena-Thank you all for the reviews and Die Kikyo Die I'll keep that in mind

Al-Do we find him yet

Ed-Good question

Mena-I tell you what I'll have a little side story even though it just is cruel and unusual punishment I read it on one of my favorite books The Eye of Horous by: Carol Thurston

Ed-Now you sound like a book critic

Mena-Har har

Al-On to the next Chapter

--Last Chapter--

His smile disappears and gets up walking to his window and turns his back to them "We have currently got wind of something in the East."

"Charles?" Mustang steps up to him clearly not understanding.

He looks at them all before going on making sure they could take the shock that was about to come "There are rumors that Edward Elric, The Full Metal Alchemist, is back." He finishes as everyone gasps.

Chapter 2: The Mission

They all gape at him in disbelief; it's not that they didn't want to believe it, it was just a lot to take in, especially the ones closest to Edward Elric "How can that be possible?" Maria all but stuttered out quietly, but audible.

He shakes his head lightly, as he turns to them, and sits down at his desk "I do not know but his body was never found so I was going to dispatch Mustang, Armstrong, Havoc, and Hawkeye to find out if it really is him, since he is considered under your branch."

"And if it is?" Winry asks still in shock but finally digesting what he said.

"Hopefully he will rejoin the military, he is after all a very valuable asset and friend." He says genuinely smiling slightly at them “But. there is a problem.”

Mustang looks at him suspiciously “What kind of problem?”

“Edward Elric if it is him has been killing off the Homunculi and it looks like he’s searching for something.” he says quietly as Mustang nods in understanding.

"I want to come too." Al finally speaks up eyes set in determination to find and bring back his elder brother, who has been missing for the last two and a half years.

He looks at him sadly and shakes his head "You won't be able to unless you are military personal."

"Want to bet?" Winry asks coming up behind them, taking out her wrench as everyone pales, and inches slowly away from her.

Roy clears his throat "Don't worry I will look after them." he desperately trying to dismiss the fact that he actually feared Winry and her Wrench, but failing with that 'keep that away from me' look.

"Very well Mustang, Ross your in charge of them dismissed." He says hurriedly realizing that if he didn't he would get a wrench to the head, quite a few no many times.

They leave quietly with Havoc catching up on old times with Roy Mustang, while Al walks slowly in pace with Lt. Maria Ross "Maria-san?" he asks timidly.

"Yes, Al." She smiles reassuringly at him while they continue onward.

"If this really isn't Brother......" He says averting his eyes to the ground it became very interesting in the last few moments.

She looks forward and darkly says "I swear whoever it is impersonating him will die a horrible death I can guarantee that." .

He looks back up to her as she looks down "Thank you."

She smiles slightly "My pleasure now lets get going."

-----------------------------------------

--half a year ago--

A boy about the age of eighteen, with a braid of golden hair, and eyes to match, he had his favorite black pants, a shirt to match, and a crimson jacket, who was currently shaking his head thinking how could someone sleep through all this racket as he smiles sadly at a young man who was the age of sixteen who looked exactly like his younger brother, who was sleeping soundly on a chair near by, while the young woman with Golden hair and Silver eyes, she was wearing a nice sundress that was Baby Blue to bring out her eyes, and a Dark Navy black coat so it wouldn't get dirty, who was looking through the necessary mechanical gizmos that were to get him home, as she fixes the gate on there side. Edward sighs "Are you sure this is going to work, Gizmo?"

"I'm completely positive." She snaps and turns a glare at him for a few minutes and then gets back to work.

Hohenheim shakes his head at his son "You don't give Kari enough credit, Ed."

He turns his head and gives him a glare as he turns back and huffs "Right, so have you decided?"

He looks at his son and then back at the gate "I'm not going back with you."

"I didn't think you were, especially since you have Kari to look after." he says not looking at him still.

"Well you seem pleased?" Hohenheim says jokingly.

"No I..." Ed says quickly to assure his father that he would support his decision no matter what and that it did matter to him.

He smiles at him lightly "Don't worry Ed, I understand I like it here and I really don't have anything to go home to you and Al seem to know how to take care of yourselves except that incident."

He give him a dirty look while Hohenheim starts to laugh "Oh har, har, very funny, you could hardly blame us."

"No, I suppose I don't, I would of done the same thing, and I probably wouldn't of cast one of you into a suit of armor." He says shaking his head sadly.

Gizmo peaks her head out from behind it "Yeah Ed, your the most skilled Alchemist that I have ever seen." She gives them a innocent look "Don't worry, I'll be nice ready?" He nods at her while he steps up to look at her work "This should amplify your Alchemy ability."

He nods and turns to his father as he gives him a sad smile "I guess this is goodbye."

Ed nods and looks down ashamed "I guess it is, I'm sorry I thought you abandoned Mom."

"Don't worry about it now, go to your younger brother." He says giving him a brief hug.

"Goodbye Dad." Ed says so only he could hear as he runs up to Gizmo and gets strapped in.

"Goodbye son." He says as a lone tear streaks down his face while he watches his son leave.

"I'll go and see if the rest of the Rebellion need any help." Al says once he woke up since he wasn't family he didn't think he needed to see any of this, Ed nods his approval.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Ed asks one last time while she growls in frustration.

"For the last time I am sure and if we don't.....dead men tell no tales." she mumbles the last part to herself.

"That’s comforting." He says giving her a dirty look in return she shrugs innocently.

"It's working." she says while Ed gives it power while the gate opens "Hurry step through the Gate."

"Not so fast!" A voice all to familiar says behind them it was Envy, but he wasn't quick enough to turn around he got a blade straight through his shoulder.

"Dad!" Edward yells, but he couldn't get out, not this time.

He smiles at them sadly and yet happily at the same time "Looks like I'll be joining my wife after all." He turns back to them "Edward take care of your sister and your brother, she may only be your half sister, but I know you think of her as your whole sister."

She looks back at him "Dad?" She asks unsurely.

"No, you will not harm them." He says putting a wall up strong enough to give them time to escape.

"What?!" Envy exclaims.

Edward watches in horror as Hohenheim gives the gate enough to send Kari through as well he smiles at them sadly "Be safe."

"DAD!!!!" Kari screamed out, as Ed took hold of her hand, and brought her through the gate with him, that was the last thing he heard and the last thing he saw before Envy killed him.

--------------------------------------

--Train station--

"Where exactly in the East?" Al asks completely board already, with his brother it was never dull including on the train, he was either yelling at someone for calling him short, or he was in conversation with him.

"A small city that doesn't have too many Alchemists, I believe its Silver City." Roy says not even lifting an eyelid, while he sits across from them, his arms crossed and leaning against the window.

Maria smirks at his figure and leans down to Al and whispers but loud enough for him to hear as well "None to be completely accurate."

He gives her one of his own dirty looks, before Al interferes "So why do they think he's there?"

"He can use alchemy without so much as a thought." Hughes says coming up to them with Armstrong.

"It's quite inspiring?" He says dramatically.

"That sounds like Bother." Al mumbles to himself, his brother was always good at his alchemy and if this was him he wouldn't doubt he advanced himself in the alchemy arts, he turns to look out the window as the train begins to move.

Roy looks at him and tells them all quietly, as they settle down to get some sleep "It would help if you could remember what happened."

"Don't you dare! He has already been through enough." she says warningly at him.

"Very well Ross." Roy says glaring at her as he gets up and stalks out the to the next sleeping arrangements mumbling to himself all the while about how Hawkeye never did this to him.

"Brother was right." Al says quietly to her.

"Huh?" She asks him completely confused as to how she never knew Ed had said something about her.

"Brother said, before we went on that mission, that he was a fool for not seeing what he has in front of him and missing his chance with Riza." He says smiling sadly at her as he recalls one of his memories, with his beloved Brother.

"He has missed his chance hasn't he? But hopefully he doesn't miss his chance with me." She says to herself more then to her friend she turns back to him and smiles at him "Get some sleep it's going to be a long ride."

-------------------------------------------

--Dream/Memory two and a half years ago--

Al was currently the Philosopher stone and sitting there quite constricted in the rain that was beating against him, while he sees his brother rush down to him "Brother?" he mumbles incoherently.

He nods and slides next to him "Al, are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm kinda scared though." he says not trusting his voice much.

Ed smiles reassuringly down at him, looking over the giant red stone "Don't worry about it I will get you out of there in no time."

He smiles back at him, until he notices another figure sliding toward them too late "Nii-san!" He manages to get out before he was thrown to the ground by Envy who had apparently appeared out of nowhere.

"You were always fathers favorite always his real family." Envy sneers at him as he circles him much like hyena would his prey while Ed desperately tries to get up before he's knocked down again.

He stands on his feet as he smirks "Can't blame him for that." Was the only thing he got out before Envy charged at him both trading blows, but it seemed to be wrong somehow.

"Brother!" Al yells out to him as he watches his brother fight with Envy while he thinks to himself 'He isn't fighting to the best of his ability why?'

"Don't worry about it Al." Ed says as he manages to get Envy on the ground, before transmuting his arm to a blade.

"But....." Al can only watch helplessly as they fight.

He seems to get him down for the count, when he senses someone else behind him, and manages to scrape his side "Lust you know you shouldn't double team someone." he says while transmuting a pointy rock pinning her,

"And you shouldn't of held back." was the last thing she said before she died.

He turns around long enough to get the full assault of the blade into his heart while his brother can only watch in horror "Envy?"

"Looks like we both die." he says as he collapses with Ed.

"Brother please get up Brother." he says desperately trying to will his brother to move and then thinks of something at the last minute as the stone begins to glow.

-----------------------------------

--Train--

"ALPHONSE!" was what he heard as he was jolted awake by Maria who was shaking him and looking down at the pale form of Alphonse Elric.

"Maria-san?" he asks uncertain.

She nods "Are you all right?"

He nods sobbing slightly "Yes."

"What happened?" She asks concernedly.

He starts to hiccup while he closes his eyes tightly "I have been having dreams of that day and it gets clearer and clearer."

"It's alright, Winry?" She asks slightly uncertain at what to do not being the type to comfort someone before.

"Come on Al." She motions him to her seat where they sit.

--To Be Continued--

Mena-Hello thank you all and review

Ed-I think you might have over did this chapter

Mena-Don't start Drama Queen

Al-Don't forget to review

Fox-And you will also get to know me more

Mena-My sister Fox

Fox-It's funny were are doing a thing at school about Romeo and Juliet and I'm the Alchemist how Iroic

Ed-Whatever we have her sister now she the Devil Lady and I think you're more scary then your sister WHACK

Fox-Watch what who you call what Midget

Mena-Uhh, see ya next time