Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Automail ❯ Godsend ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Godsend
The subject of religion had always been a bit touchy with the Elric brothers.
Most would say that it was because they were alchemists, scientists, `little gods of the world' as Mephistopheles had once said. And that may have been partly true; however, to those who knew of their pasts, it was blatantly obvious why the two boys did not believe in God:
Orphaned by the ages of nine and ten; survived a failed human transmutation by the skin of their teeth, one losing his whole body and forced to live as suit of armor; the countless number of times they had nearly been killed—two of which were attempts by religious zealots. And all this by the ages of sixteen and fifteen . . .
One had to wonder how they could ever believe.
Though both boys were undoubtedly atheist, the younger of the two, Alphonse, did not disregard the idea that people believed in a power higher than alchemy as viciously as his brother did. Al could at least accept the fact that different people had faith in different things—Leto, Ishbala, God . . . Equivalent Trade.
To Edward, there was nothing beyond the concept of Equivalent Exchange; no higher power than alchemy. If it couldn't be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt with science, then it didn't exist.
Having faith in something one couldn't see or touch was for the ignorant and naïve.
No. Edward Elric was not religious.
He did not believe in God.
But then Roy Mustang had kissed him . . . He had walked around his desk while Ed was shouting, leaned over, and silenced the blonde with by gently pressing his lips against Edward's. The Flame Alchemist had then brushed past the stunned, blushing Fullmetal, heading for the door; Ed had spun to face his superior, to say something. Anything.
But, for the first time in his life, he couldn't seem to find his voice . . . because, in that moment . . .
He believed that he saw the hands of God.