Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Five Days of Royai ❯ Only Hope ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Second part! I've decided that each of these stories is now connected. It is a series right? They should connect in some way other then just Royai theme. (Though, that is the most important connection). Anyway, here ya go, enjoy and review!
Guide: “…” is spoken word
`…' is thought
Disclaimer: I still don't own FMA, I also don't own the rights to the songs I use.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Title: Only Hope
“For the last time Breda, I said no.” Roy said from behind clinched teeth.
“Ah, come on Colonel. Why not try something new?”
The two men were the only ones in the room. The rest of the men had yet to return from lunch down at the corner café and Riza was retrieving another round of paperwork to be completed before a the gang could leave.
“Why? I don't even know what this `car-e-oak-ay' is.” Roy said struggling with the new word. “Besides, didn't we spend time bonding Friday night?”
“But Colonel…” Breda started complaining as the door opened to reveal the rest of the men, plus Hawkeye.
“What is your problem this time Breda? New ghosts?” Havoc asked, moving his cigarette around in his mouth.
“No Havoc, I'm trying to get the Colonel to go karaoke tonight.”
“Karaoke?” Fuery asked taking his seat. “What's that?”
“I've heard of it!” Falman said. “Isn't that a new thing from out East?”
“Yes, it is.” Breda said, glad someone was finally listening to him. “It's where you get up and sing to music of popular songs.”
“What fun is that?” Havoc asked.
Breda sighed, knowing there was only one way to get the men to agree. “It's in a bar. And since it Wednesday, the bar is offering free karaoke and half off drinks.”
“I'm there!” The other subordinate guys all shouted, jumping out their seats.
“What about you, Sir?” Breda asked Mustang.
“I'll go on one condition.” The Colonel said with his trademark smirk. “Hawkeye comes with.”
Five pairs of eyes turned to a shocked looking Riza, who was still holding all of their afternoon paperwork. “Fine. But no one leaves until all of this paperwork is done.” Riza answered, still business first. She began to assign out work, giving Roy his usual large stack.
All the men stared at Riza in shock, though they shouldn't have. It was a little known fact, and by little known it meant just herself and Black Hayate, that Riza Hawkeye loved to sing.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Some time later, the Mustang Gang sat around a table in a bar, each cradling a drink. Several people had sung already, each off-tune and hilarious. The best was one girl who was already so drunk, she couldn't remember the lyrics and just began a strip tease on stage.
After several others had made fools of themselves, the Mustang Gang began to try their own luck. Breda went first, singing a half-drunken rendition of How You Remind Me by Nickelback. He wasn't horrible; he seemed to like music with a more country vibe to it.
Roy went after Heymans, singing, quite appropriately, Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror. He did a great job of it, while his voice wasn't great; the emotion behind it made the performance a great on. Next was Falman, with a catchy Frank Sinatra tune. Unfortunately, Vato simply didn't have the voice for Sinatra and his attempted ended in crowd laughter and booing. He took it in stride though, making his way back to his seat calmly, until Havoc made a rude comment.
“Fine, you get up there then!” The normally calm man yelled over his glass of whiskey.
Havoc blanched. “Me? Oh no, I don't sing.”
“Well if you claim its so easy. Get up there.”
“OH no! I cant!” Havoc almost screamed in fear, cowering a bit in his seat. He was single enough as it was. He didn't need all the women here hearing his voice and running in fear.
“I'll go.” Riza said getting up. She walked over to the selection. Picking quickly and approached the DJ in her usual business like manner. It wasn't long before she stood on stage, emotionless expression upon her face and microphone in hand. A piano played a few soft, high keys before Riza closed her eyes and opened her mouth.
There's a song that's inside of my soul
It's the one that I've tried to write
over and over again
I'm awake in the infinite cold
But you sing to me over and over and over again

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope
Her fellow officers stared at her in what could be a comical manner. They eyes were wide and mouths dropped open. Riza was good. Not perfect, no there were better singers out there. But Riza had a commanding, emotion packed voice that seemed to lead the music. A small smile even tugged at her usually blank face, as she sang each word with care and precision.
Sing to me the song of the stars
Of your galaxy dancing and laughing
and laughing again
When it feels like my dreams are so far
Sing to me of the plans that you have
for me over again

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope
It was then that Riza's eye opened, locking mahogany with midnight.
I give you my destiny
I'm giving you all of me
I want your symphony
Singing in all that I am
At the top of my lungs I'm giving it back
So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only yours
I pray to be only yours

I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope
The piano played more notes as Riza hummed along with the music, eyes still trained onto the Colonels. It was as if the music was telling them a private message; tickling their ears and hearts with the meaning of their connection. Roy smiled with genuine care, so unlike his usual smirk, as Riza finished and made her way back to the table.
The subordinates looked at one another as Hawkeye sat, still looking at Mustang. A plan began to form in their heads.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
That's all for now! Remember to review and look for the next update tomorrow!
ttyl and Royai dreams for all,
---animeluvr8