Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Five Days of Royai ❯ So You Think You Can Dance? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here I am again! I'm glad you guys have enjoyed so far and I hope you continue to enjoy.
Guide: “…” is spoken word
`…' is thought
Disclaimer: I'm going to college this fall. You think I have the money to own anything?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Title: So You Think You Can Dance
Jean Havoc walked into work on Monday morning, hands shoved into his pockets and unlit cigarette in his mouth. He was second to get there today, just after Hawkeye and sauntered over to his desk to begin checking his mail.
In the pile was a piece of unordinary mail. The envelope, in stead of being long and rectangular, had a squarer shape and in place of the return address, there was the official government seal. Raising a curious eyebrow, Havoc opened the envelope to find a strange invitation.
“What ya got there Havoc?” Breda said, walking in with the other guys (minus the Colonel of course) and leaning over the blonde's shoulder.
“Go check you own mail and find out.” Havoc said quickly closing the invitation and moving away from the large man.
The others simply shrugged and checked their own mail, thinking Havoc was overreacting.
You are cordially invited to the Military Moral Dance.
When: Friday, June 8
th
Time: 1900-2400 hours
Place: Furher's Mansion
Dress is casual, no uniform or formal dress is required.
“What's this?” Falman asked a bit timidly.
“Dance? But I don't know how to dance!” Fuery all but screamed, face in hands.
“Calm down.” Breda said. “It doesn't say it's mandatory. We don't have to go.”
“I wouldn't try that gentleman.” Mustang said leaning against the doorway. “While it's not mandatory, its `encouraged.' If you get an invitation, you better show. It's what the higher-ups want.”
“But why Sir?” Fuery asked watching Roy walk to his desk.
“It's a way of keeping an eye on us.” Roy explained. “Testing our loyalty to their commands and suggestions, no matter how small. Or rather as they put it `keeping up moral.'”
“So we have to go?” Jean asked, cigarette dangling dangerously low on his lip.
“Yes, if you want what's best for your career that is.” Roy finished taking the papers Hawkeye handed him.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Several files and reports later, lunch time had rolled around for Central Military Headquarters. Well, for all but Roy Mustang who had spent his morning dozing and cleaning the windows, rather then doing paperwork.
“I'll bring your usual Colonel.” Hawkeye said saluting and leaving the room, Black Hayate in tow.
It didn't take long for Riza to return, only 20 minutes. But in that time, Roy had preoccupied himself not with paperwork, but rather with looking at his lieutenant's desk from his own. Tilting his head to the side, a knowing smirk crept onto his face as Hawkeye re-entered.
“I see Lieutenant,” Roy started as Hawkeye handed him his usual turkey, mayo, lettuce and tomato sub. “That you have not finished opening your mail.”
Riza looked toward Mustang's gaze, locking onto the unopened square envelope.
“No Sir, I haven't.” Riza said her voice a little harder then usual.
“You'll want to do that Lieutenant. Wouldn't want to miss out on anything.”
It was all Riza could do to not whip out her gun and wipe the smart look off of Roy's face. “Thank you Sir.” Riza supplied, walking over to her desk and opening the invitation under the Colonel's watchful gaze.
“I expect to see you there Hawkeye.” Mustang said before finally getting to work on reading a stack of reports.
Riza stayed silent as she ate her own lunch. She wasn't looking forward to Friday. She had never enjoyed dances in school, why would this one be any different?
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Riza Hawkeye was not happy. Friday had come much too soon. And too the Colonel's delight, those attending the dance had been permitted to leave work early in order to get ready. That's how Hawkeye found herself staring at her closet at 1700 hours, deciding what to wear.
She hadn't had this dilemma in the years since school. And even then, Riza hadn't cared much. But for some unknown reason (or ignored reason) Riza cared. If she was going to attend this dance, she wanted to look… nice.
Sighing, Riza took another look at her options and decided that this outfit would have to do.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“Alright boys,” Havoc said to the assembled subordinates in the barracks. “We have to do something. Those two obviously have a thing for each other.”
“I dunno…” Falman wisely hesitated. “I don't want to get on the wrong side of Hawkeye.”
“You won't be!” Havoc said with conviction. “After we help them get together, they'll be so grateful we might even get promoted! Just go along with my plan.”
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“Hawkeye, would you like to dance?” Jean asked the flushed and tired First Lieutenant. She had just finished a lively swing with Warrant Officer Smith. Before that she had danced with Breda, Falman, a nervous Fuery and two other officers she hardly knew.
Riza sighed, placing her hand in Havoc's, being led to the floor as a slow waltz began.
`Something slow. Thank goodness! I was never asked to dance this much in school.'
As the pair glided slowly across the floor with ease no one suspected Jean had (“Hey!”), a pair of black eyes followed them. I was almost 1900 hours and Roy had yet to get a single dance with his only female subordinate.
The night had started out well enough. Get home early, shower, dress (black slacks and a midnight blue button up shirt), go to Furher's Mansion, and talk up the higher ups. Everything had seemed according to plan. Till he saw the glass of wine Hawkeye had been nursing become abandoned when a shaking Fuery asked her to dance.
It was cute at first, a nervous Kain dancing around the floor with a just above knew-length red skirt, white blouse and matching jacket clad Riza. But soon the jacket was discarded next to the forgotten wine as another man asked Riza to dance. And another. It seemed that whenever Roy finally ended a dance with some higher-up's wife and began toward Hawkeye, another officer or subordinate would ask her to dance. It he didn't know better, he'd say it was planned.
One pleasant result of watching Hawkeye dance was that Mustang got to watch her grace. She was always graceful, but never like this. She moved with passion and control in each step, just as Hawkeye lived. She followed, as a woman should, but she was not taken advantage of in her dance. The final decision on each step was with her, as she chose when to follow unlike most women who simply followed the man blindly. No Hawkeye remained as independent as ever as she moved beautifully to each and every style.
`What are you doing?' The Colonel asked himself. `You're Roy Mustang. You don't aren't denied.'
With new resolve, Mustang walked over to his dancing subordinates as the waltz ended “Don't leave the dance floor just yet Riza.” Roy said walking up behind her and offering his hand. “Would you care to dance?”
Riza took the outstretched hand, butterflies she wanted to shoot in her stomach like a school girl.
Another slow song came on and Roy pulled Riza close to him. Not close enough to be inappropriate to the other officers, but near enough to be tantalizing. His hand rode firm and a bit low on the sniper's back, ensuring she could not move away, even if she wanted to.
Not that Riza would. The look in Roy's eyes as they danced slowly to the lullaby of love was addicting. She couldn't quite put a name on the feeling she was getting but it was warm and inviting. It broke down the walls she created around herself and Riza Hawkeye found herself blushing and smiling like a bride as she and Roy glided around the room.
Along the side of the room, the other subordinates watched in awe. They knew the two cared about each other, but the look they shared was unmistakable. They were in love. Any doubt of getting them together flew out their minds as a slightly faster song came up.
Falman took another chance at asking Riza to dance, hoping not to get burned.
“Sure Falman.” Riza said, breaking contact with Roy and feeling a sudden, aching loss.
Roy stared at the two as they step danced away. He hadn't even had a chance to speak! Growling, Mustang stormed off to grab a fresh drink for Riza and himself. But he was almost finished with his own before the long song had finished.
Riza made her way back over to her table, appreciatively taking the new glass of wine Mustang offered her. The pair sat in silence a few minutes, watching the couples dance, the officers mingle and each other out the corners of their eyes. Soon another catchy swing tune started up and Roy simply turned toward Riza, inclining his head toward the floor.
Nodding and smiling slightly, Riza took hold of his arm and followed. Entering the center of the floor, Roy pulled her tantalizingly close again, swinging her round and round. A few others on and off the floor began to point towards them, noting their perfect synchronization. No one watching could tell that only one of the pair truly knew the secrets of swing.
Lifting her in the air and sending her into a spin, Roy was deliriously happy. Who knew those childhood dance lessons would end up being so much fun! Her own joy was infecting his and vice versa as the song hit its peak.
But all too soon the music ended and there was Havoc, ready for another go as the tango started.
Roy backed off, watching Jean pull Riza almost flush against him and begin moving slowly and seductively to the music.
`Ten, nine, eight…' Roy counted in his head to cool his rising blood pressure. But it didn't work; watching Riza move like that with another man drove him nuts.
“May I cut in?” Roy asked behind Havoc, face leaving no room for argument.
The Second Lieutenant nodded to the pair as he walked off, only having danced for about forty seconds.
“Colonel?” Riza asked seeing the strange expression on the man's face.
Roy didn't answer at first, he simply grabbed Riza, pulling her flush against him as she gasped. He leaned down a bit till his mouth was at her ear. “My name is Roy.” He said finally beginning to move to the music.
Riza could only nod at the tone of Roy's voice, it was a foreign sound. But welcome. It almost sounded possessive, seductive, loving. Whatever it was, Hawkeye didn't care, as long as they kept dancing.
If the two were being pointed at while swinging, they were now being blatantly talked about. The way their bodies fit together and moved perfectly did not go unnoticed by the rest of the military. The pair moved in a sensual manner, far exceeding the song. Far exceeding appropriate behavior. Their hips, glued together, rocked back and forth to the beat. Their legs, wrapped around one another as the emotion and passion exuded off of them. Each step brought them closer to each other still, till they were clinging together like old lovers.
All the while, they stared into each other's eyes, never breaking the contact. They could feel the eyes of others; hear the rumor wheel beginning to turn. But they couldn't bring themselves to care. Let them talk, because at this moment, all they truly knew was each other.
The song ended all too soon, Roy dipping Riza almost to the floor before snapping her back up to his chest. The pair panted against one another as the audience clapped, whistled and whispered. But all of that was being drowned out by the sheer volume of emotion they read in each other, their faces moving ever so slightly closer.
“Thank you all for coming tonight!” The Furher said abruptly cheerful over the microphone.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Yeah, I'm ended there. I thought it'd be fun. What happened? What will happen? What are the people saying? Well, you'll just have to read on to find out!!!! Lol.
Oh and don't complain that I suddenly made them all dance. I say Havoc can waltz and tango, Falman can Step and Riza and Roy can do it all. Why? Cause I'm the writer bitch! Lol Ok, that's all from me today. Please remember to review. I'll begin working on the next as soon as I can!
ttyl and Royai dreams for all,
---animeluvr8