Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Resurrection ❯ Partnership ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Silent_adoration: Ahoy ye swabs and welcome to me fanfic. I'll have ye know I put me heart and soul into this bloody thing and ye best appreciate the entertainment I have for ye today. Before I begin I'll be tellin' ya how I don't own any of the actual characters. So if ye be looking to send me to the bloody blue with lawsuits ye best think twice mate. Oh and since this is a self insertion I have to tell you this is in YOUR pov so it's all personal pronouns.
 
Partnership
 
Was life built for some people to be unbearable? Were people created as just another imperfection of defile the land we inhabited? To torment each other and push the boundaries of life until it snapped?
 
In my case I'd say yes to every question.
 
I stared blankly at my hands holding a miserable looking folder. Alchemy any magical power or process of transmuting a common substance, most likely one of little value, into something of greater value. far greater value.
 
In any case alchemy was simply the beginning of the end. The components required at times were living organisms, mainly humans, to concoct a weapon far greater and far more destructive than anything man made.
 
My hair was appeared to be black but in truth a very dark green, streaked with lighter green highlights. My eyes shielded by my bangs were an uncommon if not down right unnatural purple that seemed slightly red as well. It wasn't the way I remembered it. Never would it be the way I was born.
 
I once more opened the folder casually scanning the information that had been recorded, while knowing there was more to the person than what was written. Not that I didn't already know, since the background check was of my father, Morece ______.
 
The photo attached with a decrepit looking paperclip was a man with short blonde hair. His vibrant blue eyes were cheery and good natured, just like I remembered him to be. He wore a typical state Alchemist uniform and the rank described in the profile was Lt. Major. I felt a well anticipated wave of hate and sadness for the man, once such a proud person and now reduced to a mere memory.
 
Another folder lay to my right, sprawled out on my desk for easy access. The picture of this folder was of a smiling woman, auburn hair and searing green eyes, ranked as another Lieutenant Leona ______. But to me this was mother. This time a wave of sheer sorrow took over me for having lost such a precious person in my life to the trickery and selfishness of another.
 
Death. Such a frightful event neither wanted nor willing to acknowledge until it slapped you in the face. It would rob you of love and not flinch, liberate you from bondage and leave or torment you throughout your existence and laugh at you. Death was never pretty, I more than some should know. Since I had died and faced death, only to be brought back into the world.
 
The sudden knock on my door caused me to jump and pull me away from my morbid train of thought. I didn't want to recall those days of nightmares.
 
I said plainly, putting the files away into my disorganized desk and turning back to the door “come in.”
 
Lieutenant Havoc darkened my door with his casual grin and stick of tobacco hanging from his mouth. He saluted me with a mocking grin that showed he wasn't actually serious.
 
“Colonel wants to see you in his office, about your next mission.”
 
Why was I not surprised.
 
Reluctantly I pushed away from my desk and followed the older man out into the halls.
 
Military operative congregated in the halls near the barracks. Some were actual operative that went in and out on missions. The others sat answering the phones and digging up information for people.
 
I could never imagine myself taking a desk job. If I couldn't be involved in changing something I had no desire to do it. I couldn't imagine sitting there and digging through files and handing them to someone who would actually do something about it while I stayed out of harms way. The thought alone was irksome.
 
Havoc stopped short and I, being so preoccupied about the people at their desks, nearly ran into him. He knocked on the door lightly. However I had no patience to see if it was convenient for the colonel to see me now, especially since he picked a very inconvenient time to pester me.
 
I opened the door and strode in abruptly to confront the arrogant man behind his desk. Short slightly disheveled black hair and obsidian eyes sat before me. On a regular base I might have thought him to be handsome, but given his arrogance that could make a murderer out of a monk, the thought never crossed my mind.
 
He stared unblinkingly at my manner of presentation, either contemplating how to make my life more hell than it already was, or to put me in a good mood so he can load me with more of his bullshit. My money, as little as it was, was on the latter.
 
“Glad you could join us, ______.” He greeted, naturally unreadable as he placed his chin on his knuckles. I raised an inquisitive brow, glancing around us as if expecting to see someone.
 
“Who's us colonel, or have you finally lost what little sense you have?”
 
He was once more unfazed by the statement meant to gaud him as he stared past me. Just as he did so two voiced could be heard from the other side of the doors.
 
There was the distinct sound of clanking metal, one I was all to familiar with but who wore it unless it was an automail. But then again by the sound of it, it was as if someone's body was encased in it.
 
“I'm telling you Al; the man parades his power around like a damn peacock and expects everyone to follow his lead!” It was all I could do not to snicker and glance at Mustang for his expression at being compared to a peacock.
 
“Brother, he didn't get to where he is by parading his power around. He actually earned it.” I made a mental note that this one, most likely, would be the smarter of the two.
“Still, I have half a mind to shove a boot up his ass for dragging us all the way from Risembool!”
 
The voices gained bodies and two boys entered the room; well, I was sure of one at least. I found myself staring up at a person in a suit of armor an apron around the waist and a white cloth connected to the helm. Had I had little experience with frightful beings I might have been a little nervous.
 
The boy I was sure of had brilliant blonde hair tied in a braid behind him. He wore a black and white jacket and had a red one in his right hand which to my astonishment was mechanical. I brought my gaze back since I didn't want to appear rude by staring and found myself looking into daunting amber eyes.
 
The boy was most likely my age but I felt intimidated. There was something about him that caused me to be nervous and I couldn't put my finger on it which was quite annoying. His smug look faded as he stared at me for a minute and then brought his angry gaze towards the Colonel. Obviously he harbored some ill feelings towards the man, not that I blamed him in the least.
 
I was vaguely aware I'd been holding my breath. This should be rather interesting…