Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Resurrection ❯ Haunted past ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

His lingering gaze made me all the more hostile and evidently he sensed it which made me slightly more annoyed as he brought his gaze to the Colonel again. He was shorter than I was and barely came up to the chest plate of his armored companion.
“Why'd you call us here Colonel?” He said to the man of authority.
Again unfazed Mustangs reply was ready. “Glad you could make it FullMetal. However before I debrief you on your next assignment I have to comment. You don't have half a mind, actually you have more than we expected initially. It's your lack of vertical expansion that prevents you from utilizing that aspect.”
There was a fain glimmer of amusement in his eyes as the room seemed to become an oven of hostility. The blonde visibly tensed.
“You just love to piss me off you arrogant son of a—“
“What's up Colonel, unlike you I have things to attend to?” I butted in seeing as this reaction was intended.
The boy once more trained his gaze on me and I felt a small wave of contempt directed towards me for interrupting. “You'd be?” He said disregarding his comment on his height for the moment
“Edward Elric, meet your new partner ______ ______ also known as the Heavy Artillery Alchemist. ______, meet Edward and Alphonse Elric.”
Roy introduced us and watched us like we were unpredictable children. Ed seemed all the more unhappy about the situation.
“Al's my partner. Why are you saddling us with her?”
Had I not been in my right mind I'd have run my boot into that mouth of his. I was standing right there and he talked as if I was the burden. Did it ever occur he might be imposing on my?
“Colonel, I don't believe that to be wise. I have other matters at the moment.” I spoke objecting naturally, I hadn't had a partner for years and after what happened to my last one I was reluctant to have another.
Roy didn't seem to care for our objections. His word was law here at HQ and like they say never challenge a king in his castle, cause you won't get anywhere fast.
“I paired the three of you up for this mission purposefully. There have been a series of disappearances that have been occurring far too frequently in a town called Roseimbol, the sister city to Risembool. I need three military operatives that have been in similar situations and I expect a report in three days tops.”
He stated this leaving no room for argument; not that we didn't try anyway.
“Colonel, Al and I have enough experience to go it alone, we don't need any help!” Ed protested gaining volume as he did glaring angrily at the man before us.
Surprisingly Mustang rose to the challenge, abruptly standing. “Are you refusing an direct order from your superior, FullMetal! Think about it Ed, people disappearing by the dozen without a trace. Why would anyone need a large amount of people? And if that fails to jog anything then take a look at this.”
He reached into one of the drawers and handed him a photo. The head of some canine and the lower torso of what appeared to be a calf or a mule dashing through what appeared to be someone's home.
“A Chimera?”
“Yes Ed. This photograph was taken by a tourist who, later that day was reported missing along with another witness.” The colonel had turned his back to us and gazing through the window.
“You think someone is making Chimeras out of humans?”
I nearly jumped at the sound as the armored person spoke. It sounded young and gentle which was not at all what it portrayed on the exterior.
“I have little doubt. If in fact someone is creating them then you must fully understand why I don't want just you two going it alone. I want to make sure that we don't take any chances, Am I clear?”
There was no way around the situation and sighed glancing towards my soon to be partners.
“I expect you three at the station at 0800 hours tomorrow, dismissed.” The colonel casually waved us off.
We left and I found Ed was scowling just as I was. “God I hate that man…” He growled.
“He's not all bad brother; he's just looking out for us.”
“I don't know about that, I think he just enjoys pissing people off.” I chided just as angry.
“Finally someone's on my side of this!”
I grinned. “I don't know about that either your kind of short.”
“WHO YOU CALLING SO SMALL THEY'D GET LOST IN A SANDBOX!” Came Ed's overexerted reply and I found it hard not to laugh and contented myself with a superior grin, of course since I was taller then him.
I left the scowling alchemist and his brother, who was trying vainly to calm him, behind.
I entered the barracks and into my room without being stopped which was odd since I sometimes had visits from Hawkeye for target practice. Friendly competition was always welcomed in my book.
I fell unceremoniously onto my bed as I ran the data over. My head was buried in the pillow until I couldn't breathe, forcing me to bring my head to the side.
It had been only three years and a couple of months since I had been forced to join the military. Everyone had expected me too, I had too as well when I was ten.
To follow in my parents footsteps, to be as they had been. Until I got caught up in a scheme to make a Philosophers Stone. I was barely registering the drooping of my eyes as I fell asleep.
I'd been ten when it happened. My tenth birthday and my father had finally agreed that I was old enough to go into the basement where he'd set up his lab for home working. Mom was in the kitchen cooking and preparing for the party. My older brother Maxwell was helping Aunt Margaret and my grandmother string banners. Uncle Roswell sat in one of the chairs overseeing all the preparations and throwing in a comment or two when he saw fit.
I had already disappeared down the stairs leading into the basement with my dad who seemed a little tense but I disregarded it. Of course I couldn't tell an ultra magnetic generator from a hyperbolic energy restraint but I didn't really care as I pranced gleefully around the room.
I spotted a rug in the middle of the floor that was old and dingy, frayed around the edges and completely out of place in a room full of hi-tech equipment but again I didn't care. I remember I had my fathers' blonde hair and my moms' bright green eyes of pure innocence as I looked at my own reflection in one of the many vials that lined the table.
I hugged my father for the anticipated gift that he'd been promising me for years since I was five or so. He tensed in my arms but smiled down and ruffled my hair lovingly. He looked so sad then…
We trooped back upstairs to find everything was ready and we wasted no time in helping ourselves to my mothers' food and delectable cake. We played for hours and I was so happy to be surrounded by people I loved, people who cared. People I was about to lose and not even know it.
At my fathers' suggestion that we take a family photo in the lab everyone agreed immediately, it was a rare privilege no one wanted to pass up.
We filed downstairs me bouncing gaily about my family as we gathered on the miserable excuse for a throw rug that my mother commented about. The camera was in place and everyone was smiling, oblivious to the crime that had already been committed without their knowing.
After the flash my father took out the developed film, smiling ruefully at the cheerful picture of his family. “Aw, this is such a cute picture.” He looked at it and then to us staring with those cheery blue eyes until the contorted to sheer malice. ”Disgusting...”Without warning he ripped the photo in two allowing the pieces to flutter to the floor.
I gasped in horror and couldn't believe my father would say such a thing. Evidently my mother felt the same way and marched up to slap him I'd think but she never reached him.
There was a sound as if someone was unsheathing a blade and we watched as a long black talon extended from a corner and we watched as it was held to my mothers' throat threateningly. My gaze followed that talon and found a woman smiling wickedly at us all. Her hair was ink black like the dress she wore.
I spotted a red marking on her chest of some beast trying to bite its own tail as she sauntered forward with a knowing grin.
My father grinned and walked forward and cupped my mothers' cheek in an almost loving gesture, had it not been for his sudden malicious eyes it would have been convincing. ”Don't be so sad dear,” he said as a halo of light began to slide down his form and his appearance seemed to be scanned and replaced with a boy who was almost as terrifying as the woman.
His eyes were a malicious violet and his wild hair was a deep green, almost black in hue. He stood confidently to one side his hands on his hip as he motioned for something else to come out of hiding.
“It'll all be over soon.”
His sadistic laugh sent shivers down my spine and it was all I could do not to whimper as they forced my mother back into place with the rest of us. I found my hands searching for something to grab onto, to hold and try and feel safe. It was my brother hand that met my own trembling hands but I felt no more secure then I had been before.
To our horror another black dressed person moved from his hiding place, under his bulky arms were two cylinder like tanks with bubbling red liquid. He looked as if questionably to the female across the room and she simply nodded as if in approval.
Wordlessly he began to set the two tanks down stared hungrily at us all as he did so. Then he went and retrieved two more with the red liquid and set them up in a semi circle around my distraught family.
“Now I believe we have one more surprise.” The imposter said as he moved behind another machine and dragged out the man he'd impersonated. Someone gasped but I couldn't see who since my gaze was trained solely on my father who had been tied up and gagged.
“Alright Lieutenant get on with it.” The boy urged untying my father's bounds and pushing his forward onto his knees.
He stared hopelessly up at us, at a loss and sorrowful that he had not been able to do more then what he'd already tried. He knelt and glared hatefully at the three figures.
“Release my wife and children.” he growled and the woman seemed to consider it before nodding to the fatter man to take us, however the grin she gave us was none too friendly. He made a grab for me and I shrieked, terrified to let him touch me and ran to my father. I had then become aware that I had been crying helplessly.
My brother came next followed by my reluctant mother who shot a venomous glare towards the woman and stood rigidly by my fathers' side.
We stared into the terrified faces of my family who we gathered helplessly. “Dad, why are they doing this?” I whimpered, clutching trembling shoulders.
My chin was captured by the wild haired boy and he forced me to look at him. “Think of it as a Birthday gift.” he said viciously.
The woman scowled obviously disliking his laid back manner. “Envy, stop toying with them and get this over with.”
The boy, identified as Envy gave a final look to me before again forcing my father forward.
He knelt by the rug and had to ignore the protests from my remaining family as he placed his hands regretfully on the rug.
A blinding light emitted from beneath their feet and I watched as a transmutation circle gleamed beneath them. Mom and Dad had taught me some of alchemy but I was still grasping the concept of equivalent exchange. None the less I recognized a transmutation circle when I saw one.
The red water began to churn, as if being stirred by an invisible spoon and swirling within its tanks.
My attention was on my pleading family members within the circle and the light was nearly blinding me to stare into it. I didn't notice the movement across the room as the fat man moved behind us. Without warning my brother, who had been standing behind me, fell on me, stumbling forward.
The action caused me to grab for something which was my mothers' leg, causing her to tumble forward with us. In the end we all collided with my father and we were all amidst the circle.
My brother caught my shoulder before I hit the rug and thrust me forward again and out of the circle, a fraction of a second before his body had begun to deteriorate.
I was on all fours, staring blindly into the circle of light, watching their bodies slowly breaking apart before my very eyes. I watched the horror stricken faces as they dissolved into nothingness and I could only sit there. Helpless. No way to block out the screams, no way to erase this memory from me. No way to help, as I watched them die.
I was ten years old and I felt the bitterness of rage. The immense crumbling of my own world bringing hatred to those who had done this to me.
“You monsters!”
I screeched charging full out towards the woman whose grin faded to a scowl of pure annoyance and she easily backhanded me, sending me flying across the floor.
My face stung and burned as I pushed myself up from the concrete floor and glared up at the tanks of swirling red water. If I couldn't stop them I'd break whatever was in those tanks. I regained my footing and charged at the tanks and began pounding relentlessly on the glass, determined to destroy it.
“Stop her!” She hissed and someone either Envy or the fat man moved to subdue me but I'd already begun to push at the cylinders.
It teetered and swayed dangerously and for a moment I feared it would fall and crush me until it swayed the other way and knocked against the one beside it. I watched them crash to the floor and remaining liquid spreading across the ground and onto me.
For a moment I saw absolutely nothing as the liquid pooled around my legs and and I started at my crimson reflection. Everything seemed to cease to exist after that as pain laced through me. I think I screamed but I wasn't sure as electricity crackled around me the machines vibrating and becoming unstable. I felt something ripping my insides apart, trying to make a place for itself in my tiny body. After that I was plunged into a blinding light.
I fought and twisted vainly as the light faded, leaving my alone in the dark. My eyes were open but I saw nothing but black. I cried for help and no one heard me as the darkness crept around me and began to eat at me.
I feared I was being eaten alive and tried to get away to find my limbs locked and immobilized. I felt something take my ankles and shackle them together and then my wrists. My bindings began to cut into my flesh and squeeze until I yelped with pain. I screamed in anguish and cried, feebly attempting to get up to no avail.
Tears streamed from my face and soon the pain became less evident as my body lost all feeling, for which I was grateful. I no longer felt pain or sorrow or hate. There was nothing left of me as the darkness ate at me. I laid their and let them eat me, let them sample my flesh and watched vaguely as crimson became the first color I saw. Blood. My blood.
The crimson mingled with my tears and I watched in silent fascination as it crept around me. But then whatever had been trying to eat me began to leave. Had I been in my right mind I might have laughed. Not even the darkness wanted me.
“Come back.”
It was almost too soft to hear but I hear it. A small twinkle of light emitted from a distance and faded.
“It's not your time yet.”
I found my bonds loosen and the fall away completely and I sought to bring myself into myself.
Unwillingly feeling began to manifest once more, making me feel all over again. It was pure torture, laying there and having everything come back. The crimson that was my blood began to squirm and start to spread across me and repair my body, making me whole once more.
I found myself and found I didn't want to be whole again and began to fight against it. Nevertheless, it was a futile attempt to do so as light reentered my once dark world.
Warmth and pain were the first physical feelings to return to me. I expected the pain but not the warmth and forced my heavy eyelids to open. I was staring at a shadowed figure that stood above me, panting obviously from exertion. What could he have possibly done to me and why was I back here anyway?
But those questions were soon dashed as white-hot pain laced my sides and abdomen. I can't remember if I screamed from it or not as it took over me. My eyes were wide as I stared into the eyes of something non-human.
But within a second as I saw those eyes did I realize that they were truly staring into me and the pain was as real as they were. I stared wide-eyed into the snarling face of a Chimera.
 
A/N: so sorry this took so long my computer wasn't letting me into my email so I had to wait hope you enjoy this one!