Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Resurrection ❯ Just another headache ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Chapter 3: Just another Headache
 
 
The black eyes that bore into my own violet pair were depraved, consumed with darkness of the highest degree and completely unwilling to relinquish its hold on that darkness. The face was so close to my own that its fetid breath entered my lungs and burned me from within until I was quite sure I would be nauseous. Pushing that internal discomfort aside I began to take note the creature atop me had already begun to shred my abdomen deep enough to know if I didn't react soon to it's assault on my body, I'd be splayed out like a buffet.
 
With a great deal of effort I propped my right leg under its groin and pushed off with whatever strength would aid me in my dishevelment. It snarled refusing to budge but once I wriggled my left leg under it as well did it give way, toppling off the side of my bed in an angry mass of golden browns and light ocher hues.
 
Now with some space between myself and my opponent I was able to fully observe what exactly I was fighting. Not that I didn't have some idea to what had tried to make mince meat out of me.
 
Its torso was heavily muscled but compressed beneath golden brown fur dappled with black and browns. Its short snout contorted in a distasteful snarl at being thrown off its chosen quarry. Its lower half was quite an odd sight compared to the front. Its rump elevated as if it was too tall to correctly align with the spine leaving it in an almost constant crouching position. The legs appeared to be that of a large hoofed animal, my guess on a bull, but large none the less.
 
However trying to dwell on the many attributes of my assailant proved consequential as it leapt once more and I was given a fraction of a second to roll, well, more like fall, off my bed.
 
My bed creaked under its weight and it glared down at me for moving, as if expecting I was going to stay and let it rip me apart.
 
I rolled once more out of the way putting what distance I could between it and me. Though this being a fifteen by twelve foot room including, a four by six foot
 
dresser and a six by seven foot desk there wasn't much room to maneuver.
 
I quickly learned that trying to think while fighting a Chimera was not the best tactic. If you didn't hit fast, it hit first.
 
And HARD.
 
I stumbled briefly to regain my footing, the floor slick with blood, mainly my own. The pain was ebbing away slowly as it always did, allowing my body to adjust to the sudden shift from unconsciousness' to full fledged battle.
 
I jumped as someone began to knock on my door and barely distinguishable shouts sounded from the other side. A would like this was lethal had it been anyone else they might already be dead.
 
But then again, I wasn't everyone else was I?
 
It lunged for me again and I managed a swift back flip, my bare and bloody feet colliding with its' iron like jaw and a familiar snap emitted as it was dislocated.
 
Not that a slight injury as that would prevent further attacks. It roared, resilient and hastened to fight me again. The ragged sound increased the suddenly persistent banging and the shouting became decipherable.
 
“_______, what is going on in there?!” Only Roy could make a question sound like a command and to my annoyance the sound of his voice was reassuring. Annoying because I wouldn't even let someone help me into my grave, much less some quacks cross bred pet.
 
However allowing my mind to wander, even briefly, once more proved consequential. It wasn't in the least bit distracted by the shouting or banging and once more plunged forward.
 
Its sudden attempt to attack me again threw off my guard and I had enough time to brace myself, throwing my hands forward to capture whatever could prevent it from tearing into me.
 
I succeeded in grasping its large furry paws that were surprisingly heavy or perhaps that was fatigue setting in. Its claws unsheathed, trying vainly to swipe at me as small tendrils of my flesh hanging from them. Its blood tarnished muzzle snapped viciously, insistent on finding my throat or some other part of my flesh to demolish in its hungry rage.
 
Its sinewy muscles shoved me backwards until my back collided with the wall. Having it push against while trying to flatten me into the sheet rock wall.
 
The banging at my door had finally ceased only for the door itself to be broken apart. The splintered door fell unceremoniously to the ground revealing the ever so buff, ever so `elegant', ever so getting on my last nerve sometimes Armstrong.
 
The brute atop me never batted one of its beady black eyes to our audience; its sole priority was to kill me. Thankfully it would get that chance as Armstrong hauled its hefty form off with one hand like someone would a stray cat.
 
It flailed wildly, thrashing in vain attempts to get at me again. Its yowls of rage were gut-wrenching and I turned away in disgust.
 
“Put it out of its misery Major, it's suffering needlessly.” Colonel spoke appearing from behind the major in his natural nonchalance. His gaze however, was slightly fearful of my well being I must have looked like I had not been fighting at all.
 
The major nodded solemnly the usual kind and often cheerful, valiant expression melting from his face as if he'd put on an iron mask. His free hand moved to grasp the chimera's thick neck it's struggling increasing sensing what was about to become of it.
 
With a violent jerk Armstrong snapped its neck, the cranium now twisted to an odd angle. It was his merciful ways I envied at times, other than his physical strength that made me wish I had enough human in me to do the same.
 
But like I always reminded myself, I wasn't exactly human anymore.
 
It was truly horrible as the yowling only escalated into full fledge howls from the Chimera as it escaped death. I grimaced at the cries and pushed myself up enough to clap once and place my hands on the blood coated sprayed floor.
 
No transmutation circle required as I transmuted a shimmering revolver. Another of my 101 secrets fortunately kept under wraps by Mustang, Hawkeye and Armstrong.
 
And unfortunately known by three former humans hell bent on a concept I hadn't understood until it was nearly too late.
 
I looked forward eyeing the larger man who wordlessly complied by holding the beast at arms length allowing me a clear shot. Or in this case shots.
 
I fired several rounds into the cranium, blood coming in spurts and fragments of its skull blowing away by the sheer force of the impact.
 
The several shots made a well defined hole in it head until I could see the opposite wall, and to my increasing frustration another spectator.
 
The blonde, Edward, was standing a few feet to the left where I had fired staring unblinkingly at me as if I'd withheld a portion of valuable information from him that could have solved a crisis.
 
I cursed abhorrently; it was bad enough he was my partner but now he also knew of my `extended' ability if he had been present when I'd transmuted the fire arm.
 
Now I had to conjure up another lie to tell someone to cover my tracks. I had a distinct feeling my personal favorite `I don't know I've always been able to' would be less than convincing in this case.
 
“Armstrong, Fullmetal please take the body and request an immediate autopsy.” Colonel ordered never removing his gaze from my own.
 
For some reason the relief I'd felt earlier had vanished and I was suddenly wishing I was alone with the Chimera again.
 
Ed had his hands pillowing his head as he glared at the older man.
 
“Hey why the special treatment? I get a scratch, I get a doctor. She gets ripped open like a holiday turkey and you don't even blink, what gives?”
 
Colonel finally turned from me to the inquisitive blonde with a menacing glare.
 
“That was an order Ed.” Armstrong once more nodded, casting a fleeting glance my way his worry evident. He out of the three people here that had the knowledge of what I was treated me the most human.
 
As if I was still some fragile girl in a fucked up world with nobody but myself to look to.
 
 
Ed grumbled a bit more before obediently following the Major out, though, not without a few stolen glances of suspicion my way.
 
I caught a glimpse of my demolished door, half of which still intact to it's hinges. With that I also surveyed my battle ground and the damage done to it.
 
My white bed sheets had been dyed a suspicious crimson and still glistened with my blood. The floor had been refurnished in my life fluid and I was going to need a very skilled carpenter to repair the jagged claw marks left behind from my opponent.
 
“Are you just going to sit there and bleed?”
 
My attention was once more brought back to the black haired man standing so calm in an uncanny way that made one believe he really didn't care one way or the other.
 
I forced a smirk shifted position inattentively only to receive a stab of pain to remind me of my injury. “Yep, it'll heal pretty soon. A wound like this won't kill me.”
 
I managed the brusque reply without further exertion, my lungs finally getting a reprieve from the sudden combat and replenishing it.
 
Roy sauntered over to my desk that had been knocked against during the fray, and sat contentedly there. As usual folding his hands beneath his chin and gazing with complete security at the situation.
 
I should have been a little pissed about it but seeing as my room had been turned into a war zone I'd let it pass, just this once.
 
Besides, I wasn't in the mood to fight the flame.
 
“How'd the Chimera get into your room?” His intending inquiry surprised me not.
 
My left hand went to cover the wound in my side, the strange but familiar sensation of the skin and tissue pulling against one another to stretch over it made me shiver.
 
Not being human did have its perks. Not that it didn't have its faults, like being repeatedly questioned about my nearly limitless stamina or resistance to wounds that would leave another dead as a door. But that is a different story in the 102 things wrong with me.
 
“I don't know. I woke up and the damn this was on me.” I grunted shifting intentionally this time, testing my already weary muscles for a response. When the pain only registered as a dull ache I made a move to stand, as did the colonel.
 
“Why was the door locked?” he prodded and for such a question I barely suppressed a scowl, standing and trying to cover my wound with the remains of my shirt.
 
“It's my room Mustang, common sense.” I turned in a purposeful manner as if emphasizing something. Not sure what though. “I don't want weirdoes like you barging in.” I glared.
 
He sighed heavily his head falling forward slightly in though, or frustration. With his silence I took the chance to fill it and prod with my own question.
 
“The mission is it still scheduled for today or do I get paid leave?” I tried to make my tone light but it didn't ease the tension.
 
“No, you're to clean up and be downstairs as soon as possible.” He replied languidly moving away from my desk and to the remains of my door and stopping.
 
“Anything I can get you?”
 
The sudden offering of assistance surprised me, though being a complete ass at times; he did have a few finer points. And I emphasize few.
 
“If you could do something about the door you broke I'd really appreciate it.” He left with a small smirk and allowed me some down time to recuperate, or just make myself miserable.
 
“Don't beat yourself up about how this happened.” He called from the hall and I growled.”
 
Damn he knew me too well. Cocky ass bastard.
 
Now up and suddenly restored I felt for the wound again to find like others in past events, had healed completely leaving no remnants of the battle other than within.
 
I headed to the bathroom, which thankfully was connected to my room, and peeled off the shirt I had been wearing now shredded beyond repair and my pants were in no better condition.
 
I got into the shower after extracting myself from the grimy clothing and bathed. Taking time with my hair and removing whatever had gathered or soaked into it during my fight.
 
The last thing I needed was someone to spot some blood on me that would be terrific.
 
However such meticulous work often resulted I silence. And though I was used to silence and solitude it provided the vacancy for my thoughts to wander. And thinking right now wasn't what I wanted to do.
 
I was on the fourth floor, there was no way a chimera of that size or any for that matter, could scale the wall and not bee seen by anyone. Its legs were mismatched as it was so it didn't jump or anything. The door had been locked and Mustang had to have it smashed to get in do that went through the window.
 
Don't you just love it when all the logical options leave you to the illogical possibilities?
 
Like, maybe it flew or went through walls or floors and I was just the lucky one it wanted to snack on. Or maybe it teleported itself, or maybe I was just giving myself another headache worrying about it.
 
Mustangs parting comment came to mine and I rolled my eyes up at the water before turning it off. Thankfully I wouldn't have to walk out of the bathroom with nothing but a towel or something I'd actually attempted to be civilized and hung the clothes I planned to wear on the back of the door.
 
Brownie points for me.
 
A pair of loose black pants, accompanied by a dark green shirt and a black jacket that stopped just above my navel, and had a green trim around the collar.
 
I returned to my room to find on my nightstand that had somehow gone untouched now had a cub and two white tablets waiting for me. Consideration of the Colonel no doubt but I frowned none the less as I began to down the water and medication.
 
The last remaining piece of my attire was in the nightstand and held a great deal of significance. I pulled out a pair of black, bare knuckled gloves. I didn't wear them because they made me look dangerous and untouchable, though that was always good, but so I could hide something that usually wasn't found on another person.
 
Or one with a soul at least. And alive for that matter.
 
That one small mark that reminded me I was a Homunculus.