Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Shadows On The Heart ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Full Metal Alchemist, it was created by Hiromu Arakawa and I will not be making any profit from this fanfiction


Summary: I was born and raised here...at least that's what everone tells me. I can't help but feel I'm someone else, and I want to know who it is.
Author: Shadowed By Light Of The Moon


Chapter One


I swayed between everyone around me, ignoring them as they ignored me. Another day of high school. I turned, stopping where my own blue locker was, but found it hidden by a mass of more people. The jocks in fact. I sighed in mild disgust, breaking through their circle and slamming my hand on my locker, spinning the black dial to open it. The athletic teens had gone quiet, just watching me. I opened the door only to have it forcefully ripped from my hand and shut once more with a loud bang. I slowly moved my midnight blue eyes, glaring at him with malice. He watched me with a queer expression, then he went smug.


"If it ain't the creepy emo kid." I snapped my head away from his gaze quickly, my cheeks heating up. I wasn't emo! Everyone said that because my hair was an unusually dark, sheen of black. It fell limply in ponytail to my shoulder blades and my bangs were long, to my chin in fact, half of them pulled back with my ponytail the rest falling over my right eye. I was kind of skinny, no one had any idea how strong I really was though, and I usually wore skinny jeans, dark blue, and a large blue military coat opened, over a different skin-tight shirt everyday. I had black vans with white skulls all over them and a black shoulder bag, complete with a red circle thing that was the insignia of my family. I was actually loaded as well, I just didn't flaunt it, I saw no point in it.


"Oh shut up, fag." I growled under my breath. He leaned in closer to me,


"What was that?" he snapped lowly, I smirked difiantly, turning to him full on.


"Oh sorry, I said 'Shut up, fag.' Oops!" I covered my mouth in fake innocence, "Sorry, someone hasn't come out of their closet yet. Well, sorry to tell ya' this, fairy, but uh...I've lived next to you for 15 years, you were my friend up until the eighth grade and you were also bi up until then. Your five year old sister has also confessed to me the things you like to read. I won't disclose them, but be happy only just about everybody in this hallway heard it." He turned slowly, oh yes. When Alex Richards slammed my locker, everyone noticed and had gone silent. Most everyone was also his friend so I had decided on my own that there shouldn't be secrets between friends. I turned back to my locker as people started whispering, gripping his wrist tightly, just until he hissed at me.


"Enough! Enough!" I let go, knowing there would be a bruise. He removed his hand and I opened the blue door again, the bell ringing over head. I grabbed my black guitar case, throwing my history book inside and slamming it shut again. He kicked my locker, leaving a small dent, and stalked off. I just went to music class.


Room 310--->Music


I leaned on my palm, a small yawn escaping past my lips. My red pen idily scratching lines across the lined paper in my notebook. Today was the day when everybody played the songs they had written over the last month, then Mrs. Blues would choose the one she liked best to played on the last day of school assembly in two weeks. There were 32 kids in our class, and she was going by student number, we were on nineteen, I was 23. Molly finished bowing and returning to her seat behind me, I turned, leaning on the back of my chair, a grin on my face.


"Good job, Molly. And you were scared." I mocked her, her cheeks flushed as she put her clarinet back in its case. I laughed a little, but jumped when my name was called. "Umm...Mrs. Blues, we've gone over this twelve times...I'm number 23, we are on 20, that's Cara." Cara was one of the three most popular girls in school, second only to Mirah who was the most blonde and peppy, at the back was always their younger sister-the third triplet, ugh, I know, annoying-Cirah. Ooh, yea, their parents were so clever with names. Mrs. Blues smiled brightly beyond her large glasses,


"I realize that this time, but Mirah, Cara and Cirah are all absent today." she informed me in her high, soprano voice. I made a silent 'Oh...', and grabbed my acoustic from its case, going up to the front. I may be fifteen, but I was short so it was hard to situate myself on the stool. Once I was okay, I hefted the guitar so it was comfortably stationed on my thigh. I cleared my throat and pulled my pick from my pocket. Taking in a deep breath, I strummed it to make sure it was in tune, then started.


"Dear, Mr. President...
Come take a walk with me...
Let's pretend, we're just two people and...
You're not better than me


I'd like to
Ask you some questions if
We can speak honestly


What do you feel when you see all the homeless on the street?
Who do you pray for at night before you go to sleep?
What do you feel when you look in the mirror?
Are you proud?


How do you sleep while the rest of us cry?
How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye?
How do you walk with your head held high?
Can you even look me...
In the eye?
And tell me why...


Dear, Mr. President...
Were you a lonely boy?
How can you say...
"No child is left behind."?
We're not dumb and we're not blind
They're all sitting in your cells,
While you pave the road to hell


What kind of father would take his own daughter's rights away?
And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay?
I can only imagine what the first lady has to say...
You've come a long way...
From whiskey and cocaine!!


How do you sleep while the rest of us cry?
How do you dream when a mother has no chance to say goodbye?
How do you walk with your head held high?
Can you even look me...
In the eye?


Let me tell you about hard work!
Minimum wage with a baby on the way.
Let me tell about hard work!
Rebuidling your house after the bombs took them away.
Let me tell you about hard work!
Building your bed out of a cardboard box.


Let me tell you about hard work!
Hard work! Hard Work!!
You don't know nothin' 'bout hard work!
Hard work! Hard...
Oooohhh....


How do you sleep at night...
How do you walk with your head held high...


Dear, Mr. President...
You'd never take a walk with me..."


I cleared my throat again as my peers clapped, Molly and Mrs. Blues over them all. I blushed, going back to my seat, clasping the case closed, Mrs. Blues smiled, Ryan Richards-Alex's younger brother-went up with his guitar. We went to lessons together and I smiled, remembering that he only went because I did. Music was the only placed where everyone in the class didn't glare at me.


3:30--->Home


I walked slowly on my way home today. Mouthing the words to the song playing loudly in my headphones, an orange glow cast over everything from the dimming sun. I gripped the inside of my brother's old military jacket. I held a frown on my face, missing my brother dearly, I came up our long driveway, stopping halfway up as I saw a sleek black car rush past me, back down. That was my mother's car. I turned sharply on my heel, watching through the back window, mother turned to look back at me, then turned away again as the car drove out of the driveway and away from our house. Instantly I breathed heavier in panic, she never went anywhere unless I had lessons or something, which I didn't. I raced all the way up the rest of the steep driveway, leaning on my knees, my eyes wide. Father was home. I remebered the pained expression mother had, so I started up again, running past his car and through the large doors. I ripped out my headphones, flopping them along with my bags, my shoes slipping off as I ran down the long hallways, nearly running into several of our servants. On the third floor, I stopped one brunette maid by her arm.


"Where is he?! Where is my father?!?!" I screamed, not able to contain my anger. She looked frightened, she wasn't much older than me.


"Master Mustang is in his study, but you shouldn't bother him--ah!!" I quickly released her, running in the direction of his study while she called after me, her voice dying as I raced up to the fourth floor. My chest heaved as I stood in front of the large oak doors, laying beyond it was my father who was going to get a good punch in the face. Grabbing the gold doorknob, I forced the door open the wrong way, I winced hearing the hinges squeal as the door fell from them. He watched me with a glare, I glared right back, marching up to him, saluting half-heartedly. Then balling my hand into a fist I swung out at him, connecting, not with his face, but my brother's. I staggered back, a sharp pain now in my stomach as I fell to the side, balling up on the ground, my arms wrapped around my stomach. He hit me! My brother hit me! Tears fell sideways across my cheeks, not from the pain in my stomach, but the pains in my heart.


"You shouldn't hit the General." his voice growled in monotone. That couldn't be my sweet, loving brother that left for war four years ago. I quickly moved my legs, kicking his footing away so he crashed to the ground as well, I was sitting up now, one hand rubbing the tender area in my stomach. He sat up as well, rubbing his head. "Rrgh...damnit...." My breath hitched in my throat, he never swore either!


"Who are you?" I whispered loud enough for him to hear. He looked at me, he was older now, I realized, 25 to be exact. I sobbed at his cold expression, he wasn't my brother. "Who are you?!" I screamed at him, covering my eyes with the sleeve of his jacket, the one he gave me before he left again. I felt myself being pulled from the ground, I looked, seeing him standing in front of me. With a look not of anger, but of regret.


"War made me cold, Selene." I hated his tone of voice as he said my name, "But I was taught to follow orders and I'm sorry to say you're one of them."


"W-What?"


"You remeber how you were always saying you felt you had a different...you?" I nodded slowly, that was my secret only he knew. "I told father of it, somehow it branched to the higher ups and...." his voice choked, and he embraced me tightly. "And...I'm sorry, little sister, but...." he stopped, I glanced at father, he wouldn't look at us.


"Father?" I asked in a small voice, "Brother, what's goin-" father cut me off, finishing for James.


"You have to die, Selene."


~~~


End of chapter one.


Please review!! I would appreciate it, this being my first fic and all!! I'm sad to say that this is Selene basically is me. I do have an older brother and father in war, and I do kind of have a bad relationship with dad and a good one with my brother. Thank you!