Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Family Ties Part 2: Children of a Blessed Union ❯ The Fight Continues ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Okay, first something to get out of the way: there will be NO Tama/Tasu fist fighting in this story, EVER. Those two are both twenty-seven years old right now; they're not immature teenagers anymore. Knocking each other's brains out will be implied but never actually done. If that turns you off, I'm sorry, but that's how I want it.
As a consolation prize, there will be an upcoming external conflict with lots of (mediocre) action. Also, minor and MAJOR plot twists in upcoming chapters. Good things come to those who wait…
 
 
Here's the fifth chapter. Hope you enjoy it.
 
 
Chapter V: The Fight Continues
 
 
Tamahome had a terrible nightmare. He dreamt that stupid farm boy, Tasuki, had married Miaka, his one true love. They were all grown up, and the couple lived in a huge, rich mansion. There they raised their army of boisterous red-haired, green-eyed children. He could still picture Tasuki and Miaka holding each other close as they watched their demonic children drag him, buck-naked, into the pits of Hell. The sound of their malicious laughter filled his ears as he screamed in agony.
 
 
Praise to Suzaku that it was only a dream.
 
 
He opened his eyes, hoping Miaka would be there to comfort him. The ogre warrior let out a sigh of a relief as he saw his lover's face. She gave a small smile and her green eyes glistened. Only a dream, he thought.
 
 
“Hey, Mama! Is the Kung Fu Man awake now?”
 
 
The man gave a start as the miniature face of a child-like Tasuki hovered over him. The boy left as soon as he had came when the voice of his older counterpart called out to him.
 
 
“Sousuke!” scolded Tasuki, “Git outta there! Th' guy's still disoriented!”
 
 
Miaka smiled apologetically as Tamahome stood up in bed. He was in a room, quaintly furnished with a looking glass and a folding screen. The window on his left showed a dark sky. How long was he unconscious? To his right he saw a doorway. Tasuki stood there, looking stolid, as he barricaded two boys from entering the room. Miaka sat on a stool, rocking a baby he just noticed in her arms.
 
 
The house may not have been a mansion and the children were not an army, but it still felt like a nightmare. Tama lay back down again, hoping to wake up into reality.
 
 
--
 
 
Miaka watched as Tamahome flopped against the pillows. She reached into a nearby bin of water to apply a wet wash cloth to his head. Tasuki snorted as she wasted sentiment on Tama. Anyone could see he was alive and well enough to wash his own ass. Takato and Sousuke tried to barge inside the room.
 
 
“What's happening?” asked Takato. He pushed against his father's sturdy legs.
 
 
“Nothing,” Tasuki retorted.
 
 
Sousuke was able to push his head between Tasuki's legs. “Nuh-uh!” he cried. “I see's Mama playin' nurse with th' Kung Fu Man!” The boy quickly withdrew outside when two strong legs gripped his head. His mother sighed as she tried to ignore her sons and husband's antics.
 
 
When the children were put to bed, the adults were left in the spare bedroom. Tama finally came out of his second bout of shock. He was offered tea for he was still letting the new-found events register into his brain. The deafening silence occupied the room's every nook and cranny.
 
 
Unsettled by the stalling, Tasuki decided to put an end to it. “Alright! So you've found us, now what?”
 
 
He flinched when Miaka slapped his leg. “Hush, Tasuki! The children!” They both turned away in a huff.
 
 
The ogre warrior watched their display. They were married for so long they actually argued in front of company. Pain riddled his eyes. He had been gone for so long. If he had returned from war sooner, maybe it would have been him being reminded about his children. If only…
 
 
Miaka saw Tama turning away; she reached out to comfort him.
 
 
“I'm sorry, Tamahome. This must have been a terrible shock to you.” It took all her strength not to embrace him. Suzaku knew how painful this was for her, too. “But it's true, it's real… Tasuki and I are”—
 
 
“Married with kids!” she heard Tasuki finish for her. Watching her trying to keep her composure made him clench his jaw. He was this close to pulling his wife away and punching Tama's lights out. “We've been hitched fer almost seven years, an' we had three kids together! How's that fer puttin' it out in the open?”
 
 
The redheaded warrior was tired of this. Whether Ogre Boy liked it or not, Miaka was his wife now. This bastard took so long fighting off Kuto he missed his window of opportunity. The relationship he had with Miaka was seven years ago, back in the capital of Eiyo when they were still young and stupid. This was the present; they were in Taitou of the Kou prefecture and they weren't love-sick teenagers anymore. Why couldn't Tamahome realize that and leave them alone?
 
 
As Tasuki and his renewed rival locked gazes, he knew the other man understood perfectly. Tama looked back at him with the most severe stare he could muster. This man had fathomed the passage of time. He knew Miaka and his so-called comrade were bonded by legal matrimony. But did that also include bonded spiritually?
 
 
Their object of challenge observed the two's silent exchange. Miaka could only guess what they were thinking, but she was sure what it was. It was the same from when they were children. Her two warriors would silently initiate a contest, and she was to be the prize. Panic overwhelmed her nostalgia.
 
 
--
 
 
Tama stared down Tasuki for another moment. He had sent out his challenge and his opponent accepted. All he needed to do was make the first blow.
 
 
“You know, Tasuki…” he trailed off for the comeback.
 
 
“What?” Tasuki replied. He braced himself for his strike.
 
 
A loud gurgle came as a reply. All three adults recoiled in stupefied surprise. The noisy churning coming from Tama's stomach dispelled the building tension. With the all the pressure released neither man was able to continue. The only woman in the room sighed in relief. She giggled as Tama held his stomach in embarrassment.
 
 
“Well, I guess I'm not the only one with an appetite!” she chortled, “I'm sorry for not offering you any food, but you were out cold during dinner.” She excused herself to go fetch some leftovers; convinced the two men would remain civil while she was away.
 
 
When she was gone, Tasuki and Tamahome couldn't even look at each other. Neither of them could believe what almost happened. They had been about to go at each other's throats over a twenty-year-old grudge. They were a hair away from ripping out the other's windpipe, which was immature of them. No longer strained to resume conflict, they settled into an awkward silence.
 
 
Tasuki went as far as trying to make amends. “Heh, kinda got crazy there, huh, Tama?”
 
 
“Yeah,” he replied. A smile came then disappeared.
 
 
The silence went on as they continued to avoid looking at each other. Tasuki ran his hand through his red hair, and Tama sat over the side of the bed. Ogre Boy was about to fidget anxiously, but he caught sight of a shiny object on Fang Boy's back.
 
 
It was the magical, fire-spewing tessen. Come to think of it, Tama didn't remember seeing it during the war, even when Tasuki was put into Miaka's care. That was unusual since Tasuki never let that thing out of his hand. He thought, Maybe he lost it during the war and was able to get it back afterward. Seeing it as a conversation opener, Tama used this to fill up blank space.
 
 
“Hey, Tasuki,” he began, “is that your tessen? I haven't seen you use it, even during the war. Did you use loose it a few years back?”
 
 
At first, Tasuki turned to him wearily. He gradually changed his dour face once his tessen was mentioned. So far no one seemed interested in his `Epic Tessen Story'. Thrilled anticipation temporarily took place of the strained truce. He decided to give him some courtesy and tell him the shorter, `no bullshit' version.
 
 
“Oh, this ol' thing?” he scoffed as he pulled the harisen from its holster. “I lost it when I was fightin' Kuto soldiers in th' Capital. That was th' day I got screwed up an' I was outta commission fer th' rest o' th' War.” He skipped the fact that was how he and Miaka started `bonding'. “Never thought I'd see it again, but somehow one o' my buddies from Reikaku found it.”
 
 
Tama nodded in understanding. He knew of the Reikaku bandits traveling all the way from the mountain to assist their former leader in Konan. He bowed his head for Tasuki to continue. His storyteller scratched the back of his head with pleased humility.
 
 
“Anyways, it wasn't until me and Miaka”- Tasuki mentally smacked himself for mentioning it, but knew the fact he and Miaka were together couldn't be avoided. “Uh, when we moved t' Taitou was th' only time I could get it back. The tessen was banged up pretty bad, but my buddy, Gen, is a good smith. He was able to fix it back up.” He grinned as he eyed the craftsmanship of the tessen's pleats. “Looks just like new. It can still even fry stuff!” He waved it once.
 
 
Tasuki sniggered as he saw the other man flinch away, afraid to get fried from the infamous harisen. In spite of his foolishness, Tama started chuckling, too. Then they began laughing together like old times. Miaka came in just in time to witness them enjoying the other's company. She slipped in and left the food on the stool without being noticed.
 
 
--
 
 
An hour or so later, the three decided to part. Miaka and Tasuki agreed to let Tama stay in their home as long as he needed. With a full belly and a place to sleep for the night, the house guest thanked his patrons. The couple returned it with a bidding of good night before going to bed.
 
 
The ogre warrior's stare lingered on Tasuki's hand settled on Miaka's waist. The former bandit caught his rivals' eyes. Though they were acting civil tonight, their conflict was still on. They were going about it in a courteous manner just so to put Miaka at ease. The best man wins was what they settled. No holds barred.
 
 
--
 
 
When their parents returned to their room, the two sons ceased their intent listening. Ever since they were put to bed, the two hadn't stopped eavesdropping on the grown-ups' conversation. They were just surprised their loud talking didn't wake up Miyu. The brothers waited to discuss until after their mom and dad were under the covers.
 
 
Takato sighed. “Boy… I was worried Dad was about to bite that guy's head off.”
 
 
His younger brother nodded silently. They both shivered remembering their father's unfamiliar shouting. It had been the harshest voice they had ever heard their father use on another person. Sousuke turned to Takato's side of the bed.
 
 
“Big Brother,” he whispered, “is Papa and th' Kung Fu Man gonna kill each other?
 
 
For a moment his brother's silhouette was still in the dark. “I don't want to know,” he replied softly.
 
 
In a tiny bed, on the window side of the room, slept Miyu. They heard their baby sister whimper in her sleep.
 
 
To be continued…