Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Family Ties Part 2: Children of a Blessed Union ❯ A Variety of Thieves ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter VI: A Variety of Thieves
 
 
They started in the morning. Even when dawn was barely upon them, both men were ready to get started. Tamahome and Tasuki commenced their competition for Miaka's affection.
 
 
Chores were started once everyone was awake and fed. Miaka went to work on household needs, while the boys set off to gather the chickens' eggs. Tasuki was busy with harvesting the fields in time for winter. He was almost done, except for a few ripe vegetables. This part of the job was simple and would be finished way before noon. He intended to use the time he had left to do something special.
 
 
The ogre watched in envy as Tasuki left the house with a purpose. Fang Boy may have been doing farm work, but he was doing something for his family. Something that provided for Miaka and their children which was probably enough to make her happy. He was just a houseguest, obligated with nothing more other than taking up living space.
 
 
Tamahome felt out of place when everyone went to work on something. He didn't like standing around uselessly, so he decided to ask Miaka what to do. She was inside the house sweeping the floor; Miyu safely snuggled in a pouch on her back.
 
 
“Miaka…” he asked, embarrassed for seeking help. “I don't really know what to…” He trailed off as he twiddled his thumbs.
 
 
She smiled back at him, making his heart soar. “You probably feel awkward just standing around.” She tilted her head out the door behind him. “Takato and Sousuke are having some trouble with the pigs. Why don't you help them?”
 
 
The man nodded an affirmative, seeing his approach was finally decided.
 
 
-
 
 
Healthy onions shined under their flaking skins as they bounced in a basket. The last of the vegetables were finally put down to rest at the pile of baskets in front of the house. Each basket held bunches of a single kind of produce; carrots, cucumbers, baby tomatoes and the rest. Tasuki took great pride in this, seeing there were no green onions or bruises on the tomatoes. It was a good haul, if he were to say so himself. Now that this was done with, he was able to do what he set out to do.
 
 
Besides brushing down the horses and cleaning the stables, Tasuki was finished with his duties. He could put off the horse grooming and picking up dung for the afternoon. What he had in store for Miaka came first and foremost. The horses would survive not being pampered for the next few hours. After wiping his brow, he meandered into the house.
 
 
His wife was by the kitchen cabinets putting away the washed dishes. Miaka looked under duress as Miyu was crying on her back. She was trying to calm the child down while she handled the dishes at the same time. Her daughter kept wriggling in her pouch, kicking her mother in the process.
 
 
Tasuki hurried over to assist them. He took the pile of ceramic from Miaka and started to put them in the cupboards himself. Miaka stared in temporary awe
 
 
“You jus' take care o' Miyu, I'll take care o' this!” he said over the loud cries.
 
 
“Thank you, dear!” she replied. Then she turned her attention to her finicky baby.
 
 
Fang Boy decided to go for the `helpful husband' approach. What better way to prove his worthiness than to go beyond his husbandly duties? This way he could prove to Miaka that their marriage wasn't just a partnership. It was a bond based on trust and cooperation.
 
 
After the dishes were put away and the baby was pacified, Tasuki offered to help Miaka with the laundry. At first Miaka was insistent that she could do it herself, but her husband convinced her otherwise. The couple, with Miyu in pouch, traveled to the watering hole together. A few villagers rose eyebrows to see a man with his wife carrying laundry. It may have been unusual for a farming man to do woman's work, but Tasuki didn't mind.
 
 
He and Miaka had always designated one another to their respected areas of home life. She would tend to the house, only helping with farm work if they were shorthanded. And he would handle the matters of the stable and fields. Though he never once took responsibility of the household, save for playing with the children. Tasuki had secretly felt guilty for not being of any help to Miaka when she was sometimes obligated to help him.
 
 
The redhead waved to Tama as the other man was slopping the pigs. He tried to hide his smirk of satisfaction when the old miser scowled at him.
 
 
Being married to Miaka put Tasuki at an advantage. He had always been there for her. This paled Tama in comparison; being an out of the blue visitor wasn't going to cut it. Marriage already got him points with Miaka, and he was going to milk that benefit for all its worth.
 
 
-
 
 
Tamahome was beginning to get miffed for not being noticed, though he could understand why. He was just slopping the hogs while her so-called husband helped her with chores. Seems playing the obliging spouse had a leg up to the guest-pitching-out-with-the-workload method. He leaned against the pigpen in exasperation. A nudge at the back of his leg and giggling from the children made him loose his thought.
 
 
Turning behind him, he saw one of the sows brushing his pants leg, leaving a residue of mud. The boys, Takato and Sousuke, were snickering at the sight. They were standing beside him, poking their heads between the pen's rails.
 
 
Sousuke was giddy with laughter. “Ha ha! I guess Bijou likes ya'!” He pointed at the funny man and the lovesick pig.
 
 
“That's kinda weird coming from her, `cause she doesn't take kindly to strangers,” chided Takato.
 
 
The ogre warrior was at lost for words. He didn't like that Bijou was getting mud on his pants, but he didn't feel it necessary to pull her away. The boys were laughing harder as the sow began to rear up on her hind legs so she could get to Tama's face. The poor man was trying his best not to flinch away in case he offended the lady. Dark stains on his white shirt were being left behind by dirty trotters. After a few rounds of guffaws, Takato decided to calm down the infatuated Bijou.
 
 
“Alright, Young Lady, off you go.” He lifted the pig away from Tama's legs. Then he gave the man a sidelong glance. “Hey, Mister—Tamahome, right?—Are you gonna stay here long?”
 
 
The boy's question caught Tama off guard; he was too busy brushing of the mud. “Um… I don't know. Maybe as long as I need to…” He didn't have the heart to tell of his real intentions.
 
 
“Well, I hope ya' stay as long as ya' like!” said Sousuke. “'Cuz you seems really fun.”
 
 
“Yeah, I hope you don't go away too soon!” said Takato in agreement.
 
 
The old miser felt touched by the boys' courtesy. They seemed to grow on you once you've had a chance to talk to them. They're just like their mother, he thought ruefully.
 
 
Just then little Bijou jumped from Takato's arms and started nuzzling Tama's crotch. The man gave a squeal of surprise. Sousuke and Takato just stood there laughing it up. The other two pigs in the pen snorted in disapproval.
 
 
-
 
 
The former Suzaku warrior, Tasuki, could not believe it. How could the tables turn so quickly? He was doing just fine helping Miaka with the laundry. When they got home from the watering hole, something changed. The boys were doing to chores with Tamahome! They were actually helping the guy brush down the horses and clean out the stables! He was going to do that! And what gave them the right to have fun with a complete stranger?
 
 
What made this worse was that Miaka was enthralled. She was so glad their sons were getting along so well with her former fiancé. He couldn't believe that his own family would be so cruel. There they were complimenting an unfamiliar man in his domain! And that Tama looked like he just about owned the world. Damn bastard!
 
 
Tasuki sat in the house's doorway, with Miyu cradled in his crossed legs. He had a clear view of his wife and sons watching that man lead his horse inside the now cleaned stable. He leaned against the doorframe, trying to look aloof. Underneath his icy stare, he was just about ready to snap. This was his home, dammit! The farm animals were his responsibility, and his family was supposed to be supporting him!
 
 
“Brrrm?” inquired a curious Miyu. She sucked on her fist, wondering the cause of her father's hostility.
 
 
Her father visually softened at the sound of his daughter's coo. He let one of her hands hook onto his pinky as he gently pulled it this way and that. The toddler gave a toothy grin, and Tasuki dared to smile, too. At least someone was still in his corner.
 
 
“Yer a good woman, Miyu,” he said softly. “I c'n always count on you…”
 
 
“Oh, Tamahome, you must see little Miyu!” cried Miaka.
 
 
Suddenly, a pair of arms swooped down and lifted the baby from Tasuki's lap. The father was dumbfounded as he saw his wife carry away their daughter. Miaka strode to Tama's side and let him take a gander at Miyu. The redhead almost had his heart stop when the ogre lifted the child into his arms. Little Miyu giggled jubilantly for Tama found one of her ticklish spots.
 
 
Fang Boy was about ready to keel over as his only daughter started laughing like rest of them. They really knew how to kick a man when he was already down.
 
 
-
 
 
Since his helpful husband approach had backfired, Tasuki decided to weed the garden, i.e. tear up the field out of frustration. From time to time, he would glimpse over to the house and watch Tama play with his sons. He saw they were playing an unorthodox game of `Wrestle the New Uncle'. It almost made him retch when Miaka flashed a beam Tama's way.
 
 
“Sly bastard,” he muttered. “Movin' in on my wife through our kids…! Lousy, friggin”—
 
 
He arched his back to pull back his hoe so he could slam it into the ground with satisfying force. Before he could swing down, a scream stopped him in mid-arch.
 
 
“Bandits! Bandits are raiding the town! Run, run, run!” screamed a woman.
 
 
More screams of the village's inhabitants filled the air. People ran about in the streets, racing for safety. The whole town of Taitou was in an uproar. Dark armored men, on foot or on horseback, brandished their weapons as they chased the innocent villagers.
 
 
It took less than two seconds for this to register. Tamahome quickly led Miaka and the children into the house. Tasuki pulled out his tessen from its holster. After insuring Miaka and the kids were safely tucked away, the two men went into action.
 
 
-
 
 
A large, burly man dressed in tattered armor faced a poor village girl.
 
 
“P-please don't k-k-kill me…” she begged.
 
 
She was a common young lady with small cleavage and no allure. This bandit however looked at her like a prized cut of beef. The girl could be sold quite nicely once he broke her in. He leered at her, formulating a jacked up price. He snatched her arm and she screamed.
 
 
“SOMEBODY HELP!”
 
 
A flying side kick to the bandit's face stopped the assault. The hulking man dropped out cold.
 
 
Tamahome smiled as the farm girl stuttered her thanks and ran off to hide. He smirked at the fallen form. This bandit would be one of many who would fall that day.
 
 
“So, these farmers have a champion!”
 
 
The ogre warrior turned to see a scared-face man standing before a large group of thugs. Scar-face's eyes foretold a slow, painful death. Unsheathing his curved sword, he pointed it to his target.
 
 
“Kill him, Brothers, kill him!” he roared. He and his troop charged Tama head on.
 
 
The lone warrior took a readied stance. “Bring it on!”
 
 
-
 
 
Villagers scattered left and right. Thankfully most were able to outrun the bandits. Then flaming arrows were being shot into the houses the people took shelter in. More citizens fled outside to the street again.
 
 
The redhead's view point was on top of a roof. He analyzed the goings on. It was clear to see that these guys weren't from Reikaku. The jackasses were nothing but cutthroats who just wanted money, booze and women. Reikaku men didn't steal just for the heck of it; they stole from the corrupt and gave to those who needed it. These sons of bitches were giving guys like Reikaku a bad name.
 
 
“Hope they like super-hot steel searing their backsides,” he muttered.
 
 
“Oh, I don' think we'd like that.”
 
 
The point of a dagger was poised between his shoulder blades. Tasuki glanced behind him to see a young man holding the knife. The kid looked to be only seventeen, so he went easy on him.
 
 
In one fall swoop, Tasuki kicked the weapon out of the boy's hands and knocked him off the roof with a blow to the neck.
 
 
The young bandit fell, but not before he could call out his comrades. “Hey! There's a guy up there!”
 
 
With the enemy alerted, they circled around the house. Tasuki whipped out his tessen as men scaled the walls. When he was surrounded on all sides, he brought his tessen in one round house sweep.
 
 
“REKKA… SHINEN!”
 
 
Bandits fell, but more took their place…
 
 
-
 
 
Tama kept up his pace as he was chased. The searing pain in his arm thrummed with a
pulse but he kept going. Bandits were still after him, their weapons merely missing him by inches. He thought he could handle them all at once, but the wound he got from a wayward spear proved otherwise.
 
 
If only he could get them to spread out. In a condensed group, the bandits would get the upper hand by surrounding him and diminishing his space. Scattering them far out enough, he would have no problem kicking ass. But what could he do to make them disperse?
 
 
Nothing came to mind, and there was nothing up ahead. The path he was running toward led to a dead end. Out of desperation he prayed up to the sky. His fate insured Tamahome turned to face his opponents.
 
 
They had reached the end of the alley. The scar-faced leader was about to burst out laughing. Their quarry actually dared to face them head on. This guy was injured yet he insisted to take them all.
 
 
“Seems you got no where t' run, little Rat…” His sword lowered for a lunge. “No more playin' Cat and Mouse.”
 
 
Some of his comrades snickered at his attempt at wit. The men drew closer as Tama cowered in a corner. Scar Face was about to stab him square in the balls—
 
 
“REKKA SHINEN!”
 
 
A burst of flames showered over the miscreants, missing Tama entirely. The majority of the men were able to evade getting burned, but some were left to writhe in the flames. Men scattered, leaving more than enough fighting space for Tama. Without using his arms, he kicked and stomped on any foolish enough to be in his way. He was able to knock out more than enough to soothe his suppressed anger.
 
 
The boss of the whole operation started to shy away. He was already high tailing it when he called out to his men, “Everyone retreat! Retreat!”
 
 
On his perch on top of the building, Tasuki watched the remainder run after their sorry excuse for a leader. Some were able to escape with their ill-gotten swag, but things could be replaced. Once they were all gone, the only thing left was to clean up their mess.
 
 
Tasuki jumped down from the building and Tamahome sat against a nearby wall.
 
 
“Hey,” he called to Tasuki. “Thanks for helping.”
 
 
Tasuki snorted. “No prob. Yer was lookin' t' me fer help an' I did.”
 
 
Their panting was shallow and silent. This excursion lasted for two hours, and the adrenaline needed time to fade. But the two had to get going; they needed to make sure Miaka and the children were alright.
 
 
-
 
 
Jin the Smith crept out his hiding place in his shop. He watched as the last of the bandits ran away, screaming hysterics. He signaled to his wife and daughter that it was alright to come out. The smith inspected the many weapons in his shop. Good, he thought, nothing was taken. He went outside to inspect the damage.
 
 
Villagers were already out there picking up the pieces. Save for damaged property, stolen goods, some dead bodies and a few of fires, the town was quite alright. Jin looked to a large trail of tracks that led out of town. The man glared toward the horizon.
 
 
“Damn, cowards,” he muttered, “ran off like a bunch o' bitches…”
 
 
“U'cle Jin!”
 
 
“Hey, Uncle Jin!”
 
 
Two boys, one with brown hair and the other red, came running toward him. Their mother trailed after them carrying their baby sister. Takato reached the smith first and Sousuke came bumping into him. Jin raised his eyebrows at the boys' haste.
 
 
After taking some calming breaths, the boys burst with their exclamations. Which meant Jin couldn't get a word in.
 
 
“Geezgeezgeez! Did you see all that fighting?” asked Takato.
 
 
“We couldn't, but we heard th' sounds!” cried Sousuke
 
 
“Mom didn't let us go `cause it was dangerous! So we missed the good stuff!”
 
 
“But when we went t' Granny's house, we saw loads o' stuff!”
 
 
“Yeah! Grandma was beating up on these two bandits, and she still hasn't let them go!”
 
 
“Yup, that sounds like yer granny t' me,” said a new voice.
 
 
Both boys looked to see their father supporting a very tired Tama. The brothers leapt toward them, asking their mile-a-minute questions. Miaka and Jin smiled with exhausted relief. When Tamahome almost keeled over due to blood loss, everyone thought it best to rest and recuperate.
 
 
That evening there was a small celebration at Jin's residence. Homemade meals and the best alcohol were served. Tasuki and Jin made asses out of themselves with their excessive drinking. Jin's wife gaped at how Miaka and her children consumed most of the food. Sousuke and Takato kept droning on and on about the battle they missed. Tama had staved off the booze, so he was sober enough to tell the boys about the fight.
 
 
“…and that was when I kicked those bandits out of commission!”
 
 
Takato hung upon his every word. “Wow, I never thought you'd be so tough!” He pointed at his bandaged arm. “Can I touch it?”
 
 
“Sure,” said Tama, “just promise to be gentle with it.”
 
 
Sousuke began to drift away when his brother and Uncle Tama started their own conversation. He wandered off to his father, who was looking at the scene with mild disgust.
 
 
The boy draped over his father's thigh. “Don't worry, Papa,” he said with big amber eyes. “Yer still my hero.”
 
 
Tasuki smiled in spite of himself; he wrapped his arm around his son. “Thanks, kiddo, that means a lot.”
 
 
What Sousuke said did mean a lot. Yet Tasuki couldn't shake off the feeling of foreboding whenever he saw Takato and Tamahome together. It was almost as if they were formed from the same mold.
 
 
-
 
 
That night sleep did not come easily. Even with all the sake he drank at Jin's place, Tasuki couldn't feel the drowsy effects. He sat at the side of bed, fidgeting in the dark. His gaze glanced at Miaka's slumbering form behind him. The redhead tried to stop it from coming, but it came anyway.
 
 
He wept bitterly.
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
Author's Note: The battle scenes are the hardest to do! ToT If any of you guys can read the foreshadowing, please don't spoil anything in your reviews. I'd like to save the big plot twists for the end.
 
 
The next chapter is going to deal with Miaka's side of the story, I promise! ^_~