Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ New Beginnings Part 1 ❯ A New Beginning Part 1 ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A New beginning Part 1-Prologue

The Dreams Begin

(In a dream)

I was running to a voice, an entity calling my name. It was a heavenly one. One that I could not dismiss. I was commanded to it. My blood burned in my veins as I hurried toward a clearing. I couldn't understand why I had been led to this place, but I know the reason had to be important. The clearing was just ahead, and then, total blackout…

"Reika!" Subian yelled at her older sister, trying to pull her out of bed. Reika just groaned in frustration as she slowly woke up.

"Just a few more minutes, Subian," Reika muttered to the little girl.

"But we want our breakfast!" the dirty-blond screamed at her friend. With one last grumble and a few soft-spoken curses, Reika was up and getting dressed for the day. She went downstairs to see two identical twins giving her scowls of hunger.

"Okay, girls," Reika said, exasperation apparent in her tired voice, "I will make you your rice cakes. This time would you please eat all of them? I hate putting them out for wild animals to eat."

"Okay," Amian, the softer spoken of the two girls replied. Reika smiled at her and turned her back to the rice bucket. Making the rice cakes was simple enough. Rice, flour, and water were the only ingredients. Reika was a fair cook and the girls usually ate all of what they were given.

"So Ami-chan, did you or your sister have any interesting dreams last night," Reika asked, smiling. She knew their usual dreams were not usually the appropriate for the breakfast table, but since she wasn't any relation, and had always been there to protect the twins, Reika didn't ever care.

There was a longer pause than usual, and when Reika turned to see what the girl's reaction was, she was surprised to see fear, instead of the usual blush of embarrassment she was expecting. She went to soothe the girl and held her to her chest to cry if she needed. After all they were like a family, and Reika did love them.

"I was running toward something," Reika barely heard. Reika looked down at her in shock and then at Subian who just nodded in agreement. She seemed to be indifferent to it.

"So was I," she said her amethyst turned down. "Reika what was your dream about?"

"The same as yours, girls," Reika said now seeing color fade from Subian's face. Nothing ever really surprised her, but three people having the same dream and one of them not being related the other two was kinda weird. Reika walked away from Amian to stand between the two girls, who now were eating very slowly.

"I have a feeling something is meant to be very special with the three of us," Reika said as her green eyes flashed with a combination of excitement and adventure. "We have to leave here, though. I have this feeling that our normal lives will slowly become more fantastic than ever before. Now you remember how I taught you to fight, don't you?" Both girls nodded. "Good, I want you to use that when it comes to be the right time. You never know when you'll have to fight."

Reika hugged both girls whispering into their ears what they would have to leave behind. "And we will have to burn this old place down," Reika said knowing it would hurt her more than anything to do it.

"But why must we burn it?" the girl asked, tears also streaming down their faces.

"I don't know, girls," Reika said wiping her cheek, "but I have this aching feeling that it is the right thing to do." Sullenly the girls went to pack up their most necessary belongings and one item that was precious to each of them. ~I do not understand the meaning of leaving this place, ~ Reika thought as she got the most precious thing she owned off the top of her bookshelf. Her most prized possession was her bow and arrow set, handed down through the generations of her family.

~My family, you will not have died in vain,~ Reika thought as she and the twins watched their house burn. Slowly they turned and began their journey to a new life…