Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ White Stones in the Moonlight ❯ Author Analysis of White Stones - Part 1 ( EndNotes )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

NOTES FROM THE AUTHOR - PART I. THE ROLE OF RAPE IN FUSHIGI YUUGI AND WHITE STONES IN THE MOONLIGHT

WARNING!: This first section of author's notes deals with the inspiration for the opening chapter of "White Stones in the Moonlight," and as such, goes into depth on the terrible traumatic event that began this story. This section deals with descriptions of nonconsensual sex, contains direct quotes from NC-17 rated fanfics, and also analyzes the role of rape in Fushigi Yuugi, both manga and anime. In other words, this section is rated a very strong "R" and is unsuitable for young or sensitive readers. Please respect the age restriction!

I cannot emphasize enough that this material is harsh at times, starting right at the beginning of this chapter. Please skip this NOW if there is the slightest possibility that this honest discussion of rape may offend you. My next set of Author's Notes will be posted soon, so you may read more about the PG-rated parts of White Stones in that section.

*************************************************************** ***************************

I. In the beginning...

Sometime in December 2001, I was reading Fushigi Yuugi fanfics on FF.net to kill time. I had written only one fanfic so far, and it was a one-shot Inuyasha fic that I had entitled "Dandelion" but had no clear intention of ever publishing. For some background info on me, I am an avid reader who considers reading to be one of the finest forms of recreation. I will read anything, even the backs of cereal boxes. Since I am well above the age of consent, I sometimes read NC-17 fics.

Anyway, back at the end of 2001, I ran across a NC-17 rated fic by an author named Jades called "Show me the meaning of love..." (At this time, FF.net still had an NC-17 category.) This story detailed an attack on Tasuki by Tamahome while Tamahome was under the influence of his enhanced seishi power. Tamahome was depicted as losing himself in the same sort of rage that overwhelms him after the murder of his family at Suboshi's hands. Jades spun a tale containing such searing imagery that it haunts me even now, long after the completion of "White Stones." I found the main idea of Jades' story to be so provocative and powerful that it disturbed me for weeks. The rape of Tasuki in her story was detailed and prolonged, starting out with Tamahome beating Tasuki severely, then tying him up, kissing him, moving on to molest and violate him in multiple ways, and finally ending with the actual act of rape. I'm going to quote certain lines here, removing anatomical references so as to keep these notes at an "R" rating, asterisks (*) denote where I have cut or substituted words:

***

Lifting Tasuki's legs on his shoulders, he plunged...* with one fast thrust.

"Ahhhhhhhhhh......" Tasuki screamed painfully, his muscles tensing for the pain was too great. His tears flew out, running down his cheeks and he couldn't control them anymore. That was weakness and he didn't want anyone to see it but it was too much for him to bear. How long has he endured being beaten and humiliated? His stubbornness and resistance has been slowly slipping away and the..*[rape]*.. was making him give up hope. Now, all that remained inside him was sheer pain and he couldn't think of anything, his body feeling as if it was being torn to pieces.

Tamahome let out a sigh in satisfaction..* It felt so good to be there, inside Tasuki...* He kissed Tasuki's leg on his shoulder, then began pushing...*

"Argh... Tama... Tama... please! noooooo!" Tasuki screamed, choking in tears...* His voice was hoarse and he sobbed uncontrollably...*

Excerpts from the original version of the fanfic "Show me the meaning of love..." by Jades

***

Brrrrrrrrrrr. Jades has some courage, to get into both Tasuki's and Tama's thoughts at this point. I'll admit that I lacked that courage, choosing to deal with their feelings before and after the attack but shying away from during. So why did this depiction of such raw feelings get to me? It was because of the thought that came into my head after reading this section.

Unforgivable. Unforgivable.

Not the writing, but the situation, if it were "real." The clincher for me was Tamahome's kissing of Tasuki's leg - a very lover-like gesture, warped by the situation into an insult of near epic proportions. It wasn't enough for Tamahome to completely violate Tasuki; he had to make a mockery of this violent act by dressing it up like a seduction. Unforgivable.

With that in the forefront of my thoughts, a whole series of questions arose concerning the inhabitants of the Fushigi Yuugi universe. How could this situation, when it became known, do anything other than completely blow apart the Suzaku shichiseishi? How could Tasuki ever recover? How could Tamahome (given that he returns to being "canon" Tamahome) forgive himself or ever face Tasuki again? Which seishi would feel more loyal to Tasuki or Tamahome? What would Miaka do? And so on and so forth. These questions turning over and over in my mind provoked the storyline that eventually became "White Stones in the Moonlight."

As I stated after Chapter 2, it was necessary for me to change a few elements in this scenario for White Stones to take shape. Anyone who's made it this far through all the chapters of White Stones knows my POV on actual rape - that it's not about sex, it's about violence and the desire to humiliate the victim. What Tamahome does to Tasuki, even under the influence of his enhanced rage, is unforgivable - and out of character. It's one thing to want to kill the enemy who just murdered your entire family, but quite another to want to utterly crush and humiliate a friend whom you suspect of trying to get between you and your lover. Yes, this situation does happen in real life - but it's not Tamahome as Yuu Watase depicted him. So I had to change the influence of the oni sign to one of actual demon possession, thus absolving Tamahome of active participation in this crime.

*************************************************************** ***************************

II. The oni… and his mortal enemy

Thus, the birth of the "oni." What exactly is the oni? Well, you who have read the story know the parts that I have explained, through Chichiri or the oni himself. The oni, being a canny, ancient demon, reveals very little of his own story, but Chichiri obviously has his number. The oni, as I conceived of him, is a demon who evolved to feed directly on energy emitted by living beings in the form of emotions. Since he no longer required a body to break down solid matter into energy (yes, energy equals matter and vice versa, as Einstein pointed out in e=mc2), the oni evolved into a noncorporeal demon who lives through possession of living creatures, preferably humans. Being a demon, the oni started out evil, and its evil only increased over the centuries. Negative emotions emit the most powerful energies, so the torment of humans fit in perfectly with the oni's diet plan. Some decades or centuries before encountering the Suzaku seishi, the oni discovered that it preferred rape to murder, because murder afforded the victim an escape route through death, thus cutting off the supply of negative energy. I've also subtly indicated that the oni appears only in darkness. This not only gives the oni the nightmare aura he exudes, but also limits his powers, so that he doesn't reappear in the light of day. Thus I prevent a second rape of Tasuki "in the bright light of day," which would probably have been enough to drive him insane.

That is ultimately what the oni wants - for Tasuki to go mad with terror, humiliation and anguish. In the days that the oni spent studying the relationships between the seishi, he carefully looked for the victim that would provide him with the most emotional pay-off. Although the oni had much easier access to Miaka through her close contact with Tamahome, Miaka and Chiriko were, as he said, "too easy to break," thus emitting less energy during an attack. The two elder seishi, Chichiri especially, were more powerful due to their maturity and thus too risky for first prey. Hotohori was well guarded at all times by his palace guard. That left Nuriko and Tasuki as the two candidates for the oni's attack. Nuriko appeared to be the ideal victim due to his deep brotherly love for Tamahome. But the oni soon learned of Nuriko's superhuman strength that although enhanced by the bracelets, did not require the bracelets to be manifested. Nuriko had a pretty good chance of being able to fight off the oni's attack, even with Tamahome's enhanced power.

And so…Tasuki. Young, ferociously masculine, exuding the kind of bravado that often covers for deep-seated insecurity, Tasuki was the perfect choice for the oni's prey. His primary weapon was the tessen, which could be taken from him in a swift attack, and his seishi gift of speed could be weakened by physical damage to his body as well as slowed by the oni's barriers. The oni was a predator who knew full well how to assess the risk/ benefit ratio of attacking a particular prey, and the pay-off from a successful attack on Tasuki would be tremendous. The shattering of Tasuki's self-image combined with the angst of being attacked by a person he loved as a brother could generate a level of pain that would provide the oni with a veritable feast.

That's how the oni regarded all the humans within his range - as food for his endless appetite for destruction. He used food metaphors throughout his recital to Nuriko and Miaka of the details of the rape. The oni started out by asking Nuriko and Miaka if they were "hungry" for the information of what happened to Tasuki, then taunted them with their inability to "stomach" the tale. He referred to Tamahome's jealousy and pain as being "delectable," then compared Tasuki to a "fabulous meal." The metaphors and direct references to taste occur throughout his description of the attack. And that is how Chichiri was able to realize exactly how the oni thought and acted, once he heard Nuriko's recitation of the oni's tale.

Chichiri, being a person who has had more than a few brushes with evil in his past, quickly recognized the oni for what he was. He also knew that Tasuki was still in extreme danger from the oni, the demon lusting after the chance for a second attack on Tasuki to completely reduce the young seishi to a screaming, mindless, emotionally annihilated wreck. It was Chichiri's fear for Tasuki, as well as the possibility of the oni accessing his "dark powers," that made him force Nuriko to promise to destroy him should he be taken over during the exorcism. Chichiri knew full well that he would have to use himself and his agonizing past as bait to draw the oni out into the open where he could be defeated. He chose not to go into detail about the battle he foresaw; he just warned Nuriko to control his temper even if he sees "something that may horrify him." Chichiri did not emerge unscathed by the exorcism: by the completion of the exorcism, he himself had been violated by the oni , somewhat in his body, but more importantly, in his mind. He was forced to bring up the painful memories of his past in order to get the last pieces of information about the oni that helped him defeat the evil.

However, it was not his own pain but the pain of his brother warriors that led Chichiri to complete the destruction of the oni on Mount Taikyoku. I allowed him to drop his ever-present emotional control to re-experience the white-hot rage that burned through him when he found the broken, violated body of Tasuki, a friend whom he thought of as a little brother. The oni made his final, fatal mistake in including Tasuki in his threats against Chichiri. Had Chichiri been wavering in his decision regarding the fate of the oni, that one statement would have been sufficient to tip the scales in favor of the oni's destruction.

Revenge is frowned upon quite rightly in religion and civilized societies as an anarchic force. Nonetheless, the desire for vengeance is as true and old a human emotion as love, and I can relate to it as an ardent desire that I have felt on occasion, when someone dear to me has been unjustly hurt. So I allow Chichiri to wreak his revenge on the oni, halting the oni's evil for all eternity - but I give a nod to moral values in showing that Chichiri must pay a spiritual price for his vengeance, very nearly losing his soul. That, too, is true of revenge, I feel: that the vengeful party must be prepared to pay a price for vengeance. No negative act can leave its perpetrator spiritually unscathed.

*************************************************************** ***************************

III. The issue of consent

For the rapist, the ultimate payoff is the violation of the mind of the victim along with the body - and what better way to ravage the mind of the victim than to make the victim think that he/she is a willing participant in his/her own rape? This is the approach that the oni takes in his violation of Tasuki; the rape of the body is just the doorway into the rape of the mind. It is for the purpose of destroying Tasuki's sense of self that the oni seeks to "bring him to pleasure"...trying to convince his victim that he had in some way consented to his own rape. When the oni relates his horrific tale to Miaka and Nuriko, he in essence violates Tasuki yet again, this time by holding him up for humiliation before two of the people that Tasuki cares for the most. The oni describes Tasuki's unwilling response to the demon's manipulation and asserts that Tasuki is a party to his own rape by shouting, "He WANTED it, I tell you!"

Both Tasuki and Tamahome struggle with the issue of consent in this crime, signified by the term "want (it)." I use the phrase repeatedly during the parts of the story dealing with the rape, to show the anguish and confusion in the minds of the victims (both Tasuki and Tamahome.) As I stated earlier, the oni uses the phrase to place part of the blame on Tasuki for the rape: "He wanted me as much as I wanted him! He WANTED it, I tell you!" The absolute cruelty of this statement is what causes Nuriko to lose control and attack him.

Tasuki struggles with his own feelings of self-loathing by mocking his "sacrifice," then demanding the chance to destroy himself - but Miaka breaks through his barriers and assures him that "You didn't want it - none of this is your fault!" Tasuki finally breaks down sobbing, "I didn't want it, I didn't…" - thus taking his first step towards recovery by absolving himself of complicity in his rape.

The final use of the phrase is in Tamahome's anguished recall of his failed rescue of Tasuki: "Did I want it? Did I let it happen because I wanted it?!" He wrongly blames himself for the crime, thinking that a momentary physical response to "a warm body pressed up against him" signifies his consent to the rape. This self-blame leads Tamahome to isolate himself from everyone but Nuriko - inadvertently placing a huge burden on Nuriko for all of Tamahome's psychological needs - but I'll return to that situation in the next set of author's notes.

*************************************************************** ***************************

IV. Rape in Fushigi Yuugi, and Tasuki and Miaka in OVA 2

The rape was difficult for me to write about…but rape is actually a very significant recurring theme in Fushigi Yuugi, and Yuu Watase treats the subject with appropriate seriousness. How many times is Miaka nearly raped by Seiryuu warriors who have no sexual interest in her but wish to take her virginity so as to defeat Suzaku? She even makes the humorously aggravated exclamation, "Why are you Seiryuu warriors all such perverts?!" Yui's perceived rape (and hopeless 3-month isolation in Kutou) drive her to attempt suicide. When Miaka believes that she has been raped by Nakago, she is caught in a maelstrom of despair and humiliation, her exclamation to Tamahome, "Don't look at me!!!" being one of her most dramatic moments in the anime. And Tamahome's tender, mature, caring attitude towards her at this time forever elevates him in my eyes.

At the time that I began writing White Stones, I was unaware of the details of Genrou Den, the novel depicting Tasuki's career as a young Mount Reikaku bandit, although Jades was familiar with this storyline. So I was shocked to find out that he had been tied to a bed and nearly publicly raped at age 16 by the leader of the rival gang of bandits. He was rescued by the rival bandit's younger sister, Rei-Rei, who subsequently became his captive, then his friend (sound familiar?)

Since the subject and consequences of (perceived) rape was treated with respect through the anime, it was very disturbing to me to see the treatment of Tasuki's attempted rape of Miaka in the anime in OVA 2. I was surprised at myself that I saw Tasuki in a sympathetic light when he was trying to commit the very act that fills me with contempt. Confused by this, I tried to analyze how the assault was depicted. To me, the assault was treated in an almost romantic manner, with soft tinkling music-box music accompanying Tasuki's passionate declarations to Miaka (as she screams "Iye!" and struggles in his grasp!) - nearly the very same romantic feel that accompanies the scene of Miaka and Tamahome's "first kiss" in the palace of Kutou as Yui spies on them. I went back and reviewed Nakago's attempted rape of Miaka to see if that was also depicted in a romantic manner - but it wasn't. No soft music, no breathy declarations of passion…So why the seductive portrait of Tasuki's rape attempt? Possibly the director meant to depict Tasuki's spell-influenced view of the attempted rape, his mistaken impression that this is what Miaka wants and needs. His statement to Miaka as he urges her not to cry because "this will make you happy… I'm only trying to make you happy!" is almost laughable in its completely warped view of the situation. But he does stop at the sight of her tears - a CRITICAL moment in this whole scenario. If the interference of Taka was the only reason that Tasuki stopped, then I'm afraid that Tasuki would no longer be my favorite seishi.

This leads into the well-worn debate as to whether Tasuki is in love with Miaka at this point - or whether it is just desire and sexual attraction. Well, I guess that White Stones has clued you into my point-of-view on THAT argument…but I'll go over my reasons anyway. My view is that Tasuki is truly in love with Miaka and has been for a long time without realizing it… but Hikou's spell takes that love and warps it into animal lust. Why love? Well, just looking at OVA2, the one person who leaps after Miaka as Mount Taikyoku explodes is Tasuki. After he begins to realize his feelings for her, Tasuki still keeps his distance physically - rescuing Miaka from bumps and bruises but playing it off in his usual gruff manner. After Taka falls victim to the "ear bite", Tasuki does try to cause trouble between Taka and Miaka by insinuating to Miaka that Taka has a roving eye…but he immediately regrets it and asks himself what he's doing. The clincher scene for me is the one after Tenkou steals four of Taka's memory balls, when Miaka is brooding on a hillside over her future with Taka, as Tasuki watches her from behind a tree. Does he take advantage of this opportunity to offer a shoulder to cry on? No - he respects her pain and keeps his distance…until he gets hit with Hikou's water spell.

At the inn, the spell-influenced Tasuki no longer has any respect for Miaka or her wishes until she cries. And then he returns to himself long enough to stop the assault but reverts when he is confronted by Taka. And then, as we know, he nearly kills Taka…until Taka talks him down by expressing his brotherly love and admiration for Tasuki, while Miaka explains that "girls just cry over the ones they love." At this point, Tasuki attempts to kill himself rather than "betray his friends." In the manga, Tasuki's feelings for Miaka are even more apparent, when after the defeat of Hikou and the "disappearance" of Taka's reflection, Tasuki goes alone into the woods to agonize over what Taka's disappearance will do to Miaka. It's here that he admits that his suffering is caused by Miaka - "You're hurt ...and breaking down...because of her" - and what he feels for her is "not friendship!" (Manga translation by Tasuki no Miko).

Yes, for every assumption of Tasuki's love for Miaka, there can be an equally persuasive argument against it - but that's the fun of differing interpretations of this complex and fascinating anime series that has captured the imaginations of so many people. Just look at the rapidly expanding Fushigi Yuugi section on Fanfiction.net - obviously, there are tons of people who have been bitten by the FY bug, both readers and writers. So it has meant a lot to me to hear from all of you in such a positive light, when my storyline incorporated such harsh and painful elements dealing extensively with the subject of rape. And thanks for making it through this long and often boring treatise on my views of rape in both White Stones and the anime Fushigi Yuugi series.

I'm going to leave off here so that I can complete my last set of author's notes, hopefully posting those last notes sometime in the not-too-distant future…but for now, I'll say…

Ja ne!

Roku

*************************************************************** ***************************

*************************************************************** ***************************