Geneshaft Fan Fiction ❯ The Changing Tides ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Geneshaft is not mine obviously.
 
Chapter 1: The Changing Tides
 
Mika sat aboard the last ship to Oberus, and she just couldn't believe everything that occurred since everyone had gotten back to earth. It had only been a few month's ago, yet here she was with the multitude of other people who were moving to Oberus.
 
She and a certain Captain had begun getting seriously involved in the past few weeks, and it all seemed utterly strange now. Mika's feelings for Hiroto suddenly changed, going from absolute disgust and hatred to friendship and then finally to love.
 
As she looked out of the window of her space shuttle, she thought back to all of the lives that had been loss in order for humanity's continuity. Hiroto always said that if it cost the lives of a few to save the many then that was a good thing, but even after everything that happened Mika still couldn't fully commit to that idea.
 
Thinking these sort of thoughts made her think about a whole lot of things that were just unpleasant, so instead she focused on what her life on Oberus would be like. One hundred colonists were joining her and Hiroto on their mission to revive humanity. The elders didn't care, they just wanted freethinkers such as Mika out of the way and dead, but her joining a colony of hopefuls to an isolated moon with just enough provisions was just as great.
 
With a sigh she continued to look out at the deep blackness of space as she focused on what Hiroto, appointed leader of the colony, might be doing just then. She hoped he missed her half as much as she missed him. He could be so impassive at times, and the she would begin to wonder if he even really cared about anything. It had taken almost every ounce of her will to be patient and understanding with the stoic boy. Though, she knew that she had won out in the end because for all of Hiroto's decision-making, when it came to true feelings, sometimes he could be such a softy. And with her thoughts on Hiroto, she drifted off to sleep for the remainder of the trip.
 
“Mika, wake up. Mika?' asked Hiroto.
 
“I'm not ready, leave me `lone, the ship hasn't even landed yet,” Mika replied sleepily.
 
Hiroto just looks upon `his Mika' er Mika with a smile on his face. She was always such a sleepy-head. He having learned this their last few days together, before heading off to help with the colonization on Oberus, just shook his head in amusement.
 
Mika, finally starting to awaken after rudely having her covers removed stares up at Hiroto confusedly. Not only is she surprised that they have already landed on Oberus, but the fact that Hiroto had come to personally greet her, or rather the new citizens of Oberus really awed her. Feeling rejuvenated from her long nap, she decided to voice her thoughts.
 
“Hey, Hii-chan, I didn't know you cared enough to come and personally escort me off the ship,” she said with a smile, and after looking around she added, “and you even decided to kick everyone else off the ship first.”
 
“Ha, as if I, president and collaborator of this new and fine nation, would come just to look for a lowly white,” said Hiroto smirking.
 
He found Mika's smiles to be one of her greatest qualities and the two of them had taken to joking with each other whenever possible. By the time he had finished his statement, both were looking each other in the eyes and practically forgetting about anything or anyone else in the vicinity. That is, until someone managed to break their little staring contest.
 
“Erm, erm, Amagiwa-sama, some of the other collaborators are awaiting your entrance,” said an embarrassed attendant, very much aware of the untimely interruption this was to the two lovebirds.
 
Hiroto blushed and turned his attention to the attendant to begin giving out instructions, but not before grabbing Mika's hand and pulling her along with him as they exited the ship.
 
Mika looked around as she slowly followed Hiroto and the other officials. She would much rather be exploring Oberus and all of the new complexes that have been built since her last time on the planet. Hiroto and the other collaborators seem to be very deep in discussion, so her slipping away should go unnoticed before they even make to the office for quite some time.
 
After slipping away, Mika just breathes in the wonderful air on Oberus. As he roams the colony, she watches the new people of Oberus with glee. Some were working, some were resting, and others had even joined the children in the age old pastime of hide-and-go-seek. For Mika, Oberus was a beautiful place to begin a new colony and this once she was actually happy about Hiroto and his bossy ways. He had seen the potential in Oberus, and he meant to bring it out in the way the people of earth used to. He wanted there to be real births, farming of all sorts, and many other changes to a society that had become so involved in computers that they forgot the true meaning of humanity.
 
“Mika, hey Mika.” called Hiroto from the open window of his office, but Mika was too enraptured in the scenery to even notice. Hiroto turned back to his colleagues with a small shrug of his shoulders. They all just nodded to him, knowing the boy was in love, and they had all been in his position one time or another. Seeing consent from the other officials, Hiroto hurriedly left the meeting. If he weren't quick Mika would have herself entangled in some kind of mischief he thought fondly.
Once outside he realized how much harder it was going to be to find his silly little white. He just started wandering in hopes of finding her and soon he had her within his sight. He hastily but silently made his way up to her.
 
“Mika, what are you doing?” he asked in a raised voice. He got his much awaited response when Mika jumped about two feet into the air.
 
“Hiroto, what are you doing here,” asked Mika, “aren't you still supposed to be in a meeting?”
 
“Of course I am, but when I noticed that you were gone I got anxious and had to come looking for you,” he said with a slight blush, “and the meeting can wait for just a little while anyway.”
 
“Really, President Amagiwa, the President Amagiwa was worried about my whereabouts,” she answered back teasingly.
 
“Well of course I worry about you Mika, I worry that you might do something almost irrevocable and I'll have to fix it,” said Hiroto.
 
“Oh you make me so angry sometimes, Hiroto,” said Mika, “but I suppose you really have changed for the better Hii-chan.”
 
“Please refrain from using that name in front of others Mika, and what do you mean that I have changed,” pondered Hiroto. He just couldn't see how he had changed besides the obvious, which was standing right in front of him.
 
Mika looked at him as if he had lost his mind. She knew he couldn't be that clueless as to his former personality and how much it had changed in the last few months. Maybe it was her influence and maybe he just finally decided to open up to someone. Or maybe he really was still cold and standoffish when she wasn't around. How would she know if he was or not, it wasn't as if they had the same acquaintances? Then she realized how silly her thoughts really were, if he truly was the same Hiroto, he wouldn't have even come here to get her. She should just push all those thoughts aside, Hiroto was the one with the garnet gene type and knew all about decision making. She was just making her head hurt.
 
“Mika, why are you ignoring me, I mean you were the one that asked me a question,” said Hiroto a little peeved with `his Mika' er Mika.
 
“Oh, sorry Hiroto, I was just thinking back to the last few months,” Mika said sheepishly.
 
“You sure have been fazing in and out today, are you okay Mika?” he asked.
 
“That's just what I'm talking about, your personality has changed so much,” inadvertently going right back to the original topic.
 
“Well if you're still worried about that I'll explain my changes as we walk back okay,” said Hiroto shy due to his discomfort with the current subject.
 
The two began their trek back to Hiroto's office in silence, until Mika bumped into Hiroto and he had to catch his fall. He peered over at her and she had an expectant look on her face. So he sighed and decided to start from the beginning.
 
“Well, it all started when your friend Ryoko, began explaining to me how great of a person you were,” said Hiroto.
 
“Uh, Hiroto you don't have to go back that far and relive such a terrible memory,” said Mika. “A terrible memory for the both of us,” she thought to herself. She had finally got him to sit down with her and explain the death of her friend a few months ago, and it had made her proud as well as sad to know what truly happened.
 
“No, that is where it all began for me, Ryoko told me about you and I became really interested in the `white' that she found so dear,” he stated adamantly. “I began to research the white gene type and it turned out to be so close to that of the originals that it got me very interested in such a person as you.”
 
“Thanks a bunch Hii-chan, you're probably the only guy that can insult a girl and tell her he is absolutely obsessed with her in the same speech,' said Mika jokingly.
 
“No, really, you became an interesting subject for me to ponder over and I just had to meet you,” he replied. “This is why I asked for you to be one of the pilots onboard the Bilkis.
 
“Even after our initial meeting and your less than welcoming hello,” he said on the verge of a grin, “I still wanted to see what you were capable of and no matter how much I pushed you, I did it out of curiosity and the desire to annoy you.”
 
“Hey, I thought this was about you changing your way of life, not a trip down memory lane Hiroto,” Mika grudgingly aware of the obvious admiration he had for her.
 
“Well, all I can say is that you have done wonders for me, Mika,” said Hiroto, his grin finally thoroughly in place, “You just have such a happy and stubborn nature that anyone changes after too many doses of your Mikaness.”
 
“Yeah, well that was nice and all, but I think people are starting to stare because of your choice of words Captain,” answered a familiar voice, “ I mean saying stuff like that and standing right in front of your office building, people may begin to think you're not fit for the job of President.”
 
To be continued…
 
Author notes: I didn't mean to leave you hanging like that. As mentioned before this is my first fic, and I just thought leaving you with a mystery person might get you to review for more chapters. I'm thinking three or four chapters, five at most but only if you guys really like the story. Don't worry their will be some drama and action in the following chapters.