Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ A little heart to heart ❯ Pretending ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Why did he have to twist my words like that?” Gojyo thought despairingly.
 
“Surely after everything we've been through, he understands that I care for him. I just…oh shit I'm bad at this kind of stuff.”
 
Gojyo comprehended as he slumped down slightly resting his chin on his fist.
 
Pushing the hair out of his eyes & clearing his throat he turned around to take another stab at it, but Hakkai had already gotten up & was heading for the door.
 
“Oh no you don't!” Gojyo scolded in his mind as he quickly ran over and grabbed Hakkai by the wrist, turning him around to face him.
 
But Hakkai refused to meet his gaze, so Gojyo gently lifted Hakkai's chin so that he could look him in the eye.
 
What he saw there was unguarded anguish, and the shock of seeing Hakkai like that was enough that he released his hold on his chin, but he unconsciously kept the hold on his wrist.
 
“Hakkai?” he said worriedly.
 
Hakkai's eyes had dropped down to the floor, & he responded in a desperate voice, “Gojyo, let me go.”
 
And Gojyo did, because he couldn't help it.
 
He had seen the look in Hakkai's eyes…and Gojyo had the sudden realization that he would do anything and everything that Hakkai asked when he was like that.
 
 
 
Sitting down on his bed, Hakkai noticed his hands were shaking.
 
Clutching the covers, he took a deep breath and lay down.
 
“What's wrong with me?” He wondered as he gazed up at the ceiling.
 
“I can usually…control these things but…this time the urge was just too much…even for me to hold back.”
 
“…That was a rather…pathetic display wasn't it? Gojyo's just…Gojyo, he's going to do what he wants to do. He probably just thinks I was being too emotional.” Was the last bit of denial that passed through Hakkai's mind before he went to sleep.
 
 
 
Gojyo awoke to an unpleasant knocking.
 
“Sanzo said to get your ass outside now or we're leaving without you!” Goku screamed, peeking his head through the door.
 
Taking a pillow, Gojyo chucked it at Goku's head which….was no longer there.
“Dammit!…I didn't even get to eat breakfast.”
 
Throwing his clothes on & grabbing his lighter he quickly ran outside and looked around…to notice that jeep was nowhere to be found.
 
A bullet whizzed past his head, & was enough to make him notice that the other three were already driving down the road in the jeep.
 
His jaw dropped, then his anger swelled, and Gojyo ran as fast as he could.
“You FUCKIN ASSHOLE!” he screamed at the blond haired priest, but Sanzo didn't look very upset about being called names, on the contrary Goku thought to himself “I haven't seen him look happier in a long time. Must be the joy of torturing Gojyo.”
 
 
 
Later that evening when they stopped for a “snack” (Tenkai knows even Sanzo can only take so much “I'm hungry” before he gives in…), as Hakkai stretched Gojyo stood in front of him before he could go join the others.
 
Giving him a big smile Hakkai says “I hope you aren't too tired from earlier.”
 
Frowning, & rubbing the back of his head Gojyo waves it off.
 
“Damn Sanzo…it wasn't exactly how I was expecting to start my day, but…I'm fine now.”
 
“That's pleasing to hear.” Hakkai affirms before looking for the soon to be vanished Sanzo & Goku.
 
“Shouldn't we catch up?”
 
Falling into step beside Hakkai, Gojyo asks the question he`s been longing to ask all day.
“How are you feeling…Hakkai?”
 
“I'm feeling good, Gojyo. Thank you for asking.” He answered with a bright smile.
 
There was no trace of the Hakkai he had seen last night.
 
“What about…last night?”
 
“Did you not sleep well Gojyo?” Hakkai questioned, seemingly clueless.
 
… “This is…unbelievable” Gojyo thought with shock.
 
“Well for one, you promised you would play cards with me but you didn't.”
 
“I'm sorry, I promise to next time.” Hakkai assured him as they stepped into the restaurant & he went to join the others.
 
Leaning his head against the wall and closing his eyes, Gojyo wondered how things could have got so screwed up.
 
“He's acting as if nothing happened.”