Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Truly Madly Deeply 4Ever ❯ Crimson Tears ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

October 12, 2006
 
iv. Crimson Tears
 
In which the red-headed free spirit teaches the meaning of hope to a faithful young girl.
 
 
A.
 
Noise erupts from the backseat as Goku hotly accuses Gojyo of cheating at cards.
 
“It's not my fault you're so easy to beat!” the kappa snickers smugly. “Not that I'd expect anything else from a stupid monkey…”
 
“You take that back, you perverted water sprite!”
 
“MAKE ME.”
 
“Why you--!!!”
 
Twitch.
 
Sanzo claps a hand to this forehead and drags it down his face. “God, I wish you and I could just do this alone!” he mutters viciously, trying vainly to drown out the petty quibbling.
 
“Ahaha. I highly doubt that Gojyo would let you out of his sight for a radius of twenty feet, Sanzo, let alone have you leave him behind…”
 
Gojyo snaps to attention, taking care of the monkey by holding him off with a large hand spread over the boy's face.
 
What?! What's that about you leaving me?!” he demands heatedly, leaning over to use his other arm to grip Sanzo in a possessive necklock. “No no no no NOOOO!!!” Gojyo growls, while glaring suspiciously at Hakkai.
 
“D-dammit, Gojyo!” Sanzo rasps, almost choking. “L—let go!” he hisses. At the same time, Goku uses his head and opens wide to bite down on the hand holding him at arm's length.
 
“SHIT!!!” the kappa yowls, jerking way and tugging Sanzo along in the process, further annoying the livid monk. “You miserable little bas—“
 
“BAKA!” Sanzo roars, as he frees himself. He quickly pops Gojyo a smack over the head with the harisen.
 
“What the hell—?! I need a KISS, dammit, not another injury!” Gojyo pouts.
 
“Urusei!”
 
Goku sniggers, which earns him a couple of THWAKS too.
 
“OI!!! I didn't do anything!” Goku howls.
 
“URUSEI!”
 
Goku continues to protest, while Gojyo turns his attention to Hakkai. “Hey, `Kai, you're not planning to steal my Sanzo away from me, are you? I thought we were better friends than that…”
 
“What the HECK are you talking about?”
 
“Well how come I heard him saying something about the two of you alone?!” Gojyo demands in a hurt voice.
 
“Yare yare…”
 
“Don't you `yare yare' me!”
 
(“But he WAS cheating at cards!”)
 
Hakkai rolls his eyes. “He's all yours, Gojyo, I promise.”
 
(“I don't give a shit, bakazaru!”)
 
“Cross your heart and hope to die?”
 
(“Well how come it's okay for you to punish him but I'm not allowed to get even with him?!”)
 
“Yes!” Hakkai replies impatiently.
 
(“You are BOTH insufferable idiots who deserve punishment! Period!”)
 
“Do it, then.”
 
“HUH?”
 
“Go on, cross your heart and hope to die!”
 
Goku continues arguing with Sanzo. Gojyo stubbornly insists that Hakkai swear on his life. The four people in the jeep are now occupied in various physical struggles.
 
They fall into the river, much to the misfortune of their innocent vehicle, who gives an indignant squeak as they plummet.
 
Gojyo sputters and flails around in a panic, further dousing the already seething Sanzo. Goku swallows a mouthful of water as he roars with laughter at the ironic spectacle of the cocky water demon floundering desperately in the water.
 
“Put your feet up, baka!” Sanzo hisses, bopping his lover on the head as Gojyo clings to him, the kappa's wild flailing nearly taking them under again. “It's four feet deep, you fool!”
 
“Eh?” Gojyo follows the blond's command, and stands up with a sheepish grin.
 
“Who ever heard of a water sprite who couldn't swim?!” Goku laughs hysterically. “Man, you are such a wuss!”
 
Twitch.
 
“OI! I'll have you know I move like this all the time,” Gojyo huffs. He turns to Sanzo with a naughty grin. “In the bed… right, baby? Heh.”
 
TWITCH.
 
“You carry a collapsible water bed in your pockets, do ya, erogappa?” Goku chortles, shaking vigorously like an overgrown puppy. Hakkai yelps and jumps away.
 
“Not in my pockets, no,” Gojyo winks. “Sanzo-sama has more room in his robes—!!!“
 
“DIE! Both of you!!!” Sanzo roars, dunking them both back under the water. “Just die!!!”
 
“Yare yare…”
 
“And as for you!” Sanzo rages.
 
Hakkai blinks, pausing in the act of wiping off his monocle.
 
“Why the hell weren't you keeping an eye on the road!”
 
Hakkai's eyes narrow just the tiniest bit, causing Sanzo to snap his mouth shut. “Ahaha. Why don't you ask your sweetie-pie about that?”
 
“Kyu!” Hakuryu chirps crossly.
 
Sanzo turns and shoots the dragon a nasty glare. “And you, you haven't sense enough to keep to the road when your master is occupied? What's the use of being a magical creature if you don't put your brains to use!”
 
Hakuryu squeaks in surprise, craning her neck away from the twitching blond. “Kyukyukyukyukyukyukyuuuu!” the dragon retorts, and then flies off to perch on a tree, turning her back on the whole mess.
 
Purple eyes swivel back to Hakkai. “Did I imagine it, or was that spoiled dragon being impertinent?”
 
Hakkai gives Sanzo a wide smile. “Hakuryu says she's going on strike,” he informs their miserable, sopping leader. “And come to that, so am I,” he adds with great satisfaction, turning away too and leaving them in the middle of the river.
 
Glug-glug-glug… go Goku and Gojyo.
 
“Grrrrrr……… I HATE being wet!!!”
 
 
B.
 
Shunrei offers them a change of dry clothes and a place to rest. Goku goes into fits of ecstasy over the food. Hakkai switches into spokesperson mode (despite technically being on strike), and expresses his thanks for the girl's kindness, since the other two members of the ikkou are engaged in a silent battle.
 
The kappa looks at Shunrei with a critical eye. Damn, she looks hot.
 
The monk looks at the kappa with venomous eyes. Don't even think about it!
 
Gojyo stares back at Sanzo, ruby eyes all innocence. What? I'm just saying.
 
Sanzo narrows his eyes at Gojyo, amethyst eyes like chips of ice. Psychotic. That's what I'M saying, asshole.
 
Gojyo grimaces. “Can't a guy just appreciate beauty for its own merit? Dammit, sweetie-pie—“ he whispers earnestly.
 
Sanzo curls his lip. “Feh. Save it. I'm sick of your excuses,” he snarls acidly.
 
Red eyes widen. “Shit. Not again?!
 
“Think what you like.”
 
“Dammit, monk!” Gojyo clutches fistfuls of red hair and tugs at them in frustration. “We only just got back together!”
 
“And a damn stupid waste of my time it has been…”
 
Gojyo changes tactics. “All right, angel. What am I supposed to do this time to get you to forgive me?”
 
“'Ch.”
 
Shunrei breaks off her conversation with the nice young man to look over curiously to the blond and the redhead. Hakkai stops talking too and stares at his companions in disbelief. Goku eats on happily.
 
“Yare yare… That was the quickest one yet, I didn't even see it coming…” he murmurs incredulously.
 
“See what coming?” Shunrei asks, intrigued, observing as Gojyo gets down on his knees and tries to put his arms around the icy Sanzo.
 
“A lover's quarrel, isn't it disgustingly obvious? They must have had an unspoken argument going on.”
 
“Really…” The girl turns back to the pair, her eyebrows raised in awe. Imagine that, two gorgeous specimens of hunk belonging to each other. It was almost unfair to the female populace…
 
“You are so unfair!” Gojyo now cries out, as Sanzo only kicks at him whenever he tries to get close. “I wasn't even flirting!”
 
“You were thinking about it!” Sanzo accuses hotly.
 
Gojyo rolls his eyes. “Shall I split my head open to prove I wasn't thinking anything of the sort?” he offers sarcastically.
 
Sanzo shrugs. “Do what you like…”
 
“Baby!!!” Gojyo wails.
 
“Don't call me baby!” Sanzo hisses.
 
They both turn at the sound of giggles.
 
Shunrei blushes. “I'm sorry,” she gasps. “But the two of you are just too cute together!” she gushes giddily.
 
Crimson and golden eyebrows levitate. Hakkai blinks at her, too. Shunrei blushes even redder.
 
“I'm a closet shounen-ai/yaoi fan, you see,” she whispers with another embarrassed giggle. “Just a hobby of mine.”
 
For the first time, Goku looks over and chokes.
 
“Don't tell Auntie Pan, okay…”
 
C.
 
“I know, I know, you want me to tell you about Gojyo's brother, and you don't keep any secrets,” Hakkai murmurs with a much put-upon sigh. “And Gojyo didn't say not to tell you…”
 
But Goku waves his hand dismissively. “Never mind that for now, I'm more interested to know why he's so calm!” The boy gestures to the monk, who is stretched out on his cot; ankles crossed and hands linked behind his head, lazily blowing smoke rings.
 
Hakkai does a double-take. His jaw drops, too. “Come to think of it, Goku's right!” he exclaims dramatically, kneeling down to feel the monk's forehead for a fever. “You feeling all right there, Sanzo?”
 
“Maybe Gojyo hypnotized him,” Goku whispers excitedly. “Try snapping your fingers in front of his face…”
 
“DESIST!” Sanzo snaps irritably, brushing off Hakkai's hand and shooting Goku a quelling look. “That redheaded rascal may be capable of reducing me to jelly, but my mind will always belong to me, thank you very much,” he sniffs haughtily. “Hypnotism indeed…”
 
Hakkai stares doubtfully at the relaxed figure. “I don't know… you are acting strange, Sanzo.” Goku nods vigorously, peeping cautiously over Hakkai's shoulder with eyes round as platters.
 
The monk rolls his eyes. “What, because I let Gojyo go off to Shunrei alone?”
 
“Uh-huh! Uh-huh!” Goku answers for the both of them, still looking worried about Sanzo. The monkey is even more alarmed when the blond actually grins.
 
“'Ch,” Sanzo snorts. He crushes out his smoke and leans back once more, closing his eyes, the smirk still in place. “As far as I'm concerned, he can do what he likes—“
 
Goku and Hakkai give horrified gasps. Sanzo cracks an eye open and peers curiously at them.
 
“You mean you've really broken up? For good?” Hakkai exclaims in disbelief.
 
The smile turns into an annoyed frown. “Whatever gave you that idea?!”
 
“B—but…” stammers Goku.
 
“AS I was saying,” Sanzo cuts in imperiously, closing his eye once more. “He can do what he likes, because I trust him.” The blond grins merrily once more.
 
Hakkai and Goku stare at each other, and back down to their leader, too aghast for words.
 
“He's not hypnotized, he's positively delirious!” Goku wails after a few minutes.
 
“Did you bump your head, Sanzo?” Hakkai asks anxiously.
 
“He's been brainwashed!” Goku bursts out. “Like that Ni Jienyi did to K—“
 
THWAK!
 
“Owwww!!!!” Goku howls, clutching his head.
 
“Well, that proves your violent streak is still working properly…” Hakkai muses.
 
“I told you, don't give away stuff that hasn't happened yet!” Sanzo hisses at the sulking Goku.
 
“And that proves the rational part of your brain is still in command as well,” Hakkai continues to reflect in a puzzled voice. “So how come—“
 
Sanzo tires of the game. “Fools. The girl just revealed she's a yaoi fan, remember?”
 
Hakkai stares blankly. And then - “Ohhhh…” He laughs to himself at how dense he's been. “That's right!”
 
“What? Tell me!” Goku demands impatiently.
 
Sanzo shakes his head, exasperated. “So it means she's even more fanatic that we stay together, baka.”
 
“Huh?!”
 
Hakkai smiles at Goku. “It means Gojyo hasn't got the chance of a snowball in hell.” He turns and grins at Sanzo too. “I knew it couldn't be so simple as you trusting him…”
 
Purple eyes blink. “What? I meant that too, you know,” Sanzo mutters, insulted.
 
“Riiiiiight.” Hakkai replies skeptically.
 
“He told me he wants to find out more about Jien!”
 
Hakkai gasps. “You know about Jien?!”
 
“Who's Jien?!” Goku interjects. “Shunrei's boyfriend?”
 
“So I told the bastard that I trust him!” Sanzo finishes, ignoring Goku. “And I do!” he repeats firmly, the smirk back in place.
 
Green eyes suddenly light up. “Hold on… I get it…” Hakkai breathes, awed. “Wow…”
 
Sanzo merely quirks an eyebrow.
 
“Well I don't get it, darn it! What's this Jien guy mean to Gojyo anyway?!” Goku cuts in once more, starting to pout. “I don't have any stinkin' secrets…”
 
“In a minute, Goku.” Hakkai smiles ruefully down at the smug, grinning blond. “Reverse psychology… so simple!” The demon shakes his head. “You are one sly fox, Genjo Sanzo.”
 
“Hn.”
 
 
D.
 
“Aw, don't cry,” Gojyo murmurs, leaning down to peer into Shunrei's face. “It's not fair when pretty girls cry…”
 
Shunrei gazes up at Gojyo breathlessly. “Why not?”
 
“Makes me wanna make you feel better,” Gojyo replies, with a wink.
 
Shunrei finds herself drowning in those sunset eyes, but is brought back to reality with Gojyo's rueful chuckle. “Hn. But I'm already happily another man's property,” the kappa tells her proudly. “And so are you, sweetheart.”
 
Shunrei clasps her hands together and squeals in delight. “You're saying that you belong to him, don't you?!” She swoons, starry-eyed. “You guys are really so sweet!” Shunrei giggles. “In fact, you kinda give me a toothache.”
 
Gojyo grins. “Heh. Yeah, we get that a lot.”
 
Shunrei sighs blissfully. “Yes, Gojyo-san, you and Sanzo-sama only strengthen my faith in true love more than ever.”
 
Ruby eyes glow warmly at her. “That's right, Shunrei. If my beautiful angel and I have survived this far - 35 fanfics and counting! - you can bet it's the real thing.” Gojyo gives her an encouraging smile. “Just do your laundry. He'll come back someday.”
 
“Hai!” Shunrei beams happily.
 
Gojyo gives her a cheery wave, and walks whistling back to the guest room, only to find the space next to Sanzo occupied by a grinning monkey.
 
“OI!!! That's my space, chibi-chimp!” Gojyo scowls. “Get your ass to where it belongs!”
 
Goku sticks his tongue out, refusing to budge.
 
“GET UP!” Gojyo insists hotly, kicking Goku's shins. The monkey yelps.
 
“You're annoying me again,” Sanzo growls testily, turning over irritably.
 
“Get lost, bakazaru!!!” Gojyo yells.
 
“But Hakuryu went and stole my bed!” Goku howls.
 
“Ahem. You did lose the game, Goku,” Hakkai reminds him. “Joker beats all, remember.”
 
Twitch.
 
“Take her up there with you, then!” the kid wails. “It's your fault for letting a silly dragon play in the first place!”
 
Excuse me?” Hakkai raises his head from his pillow, a tiny smile hovering dangerously on his lips.
 
“Kyu…” the dragon adds, a glint in her eye too.
 
TWITCH.
 
“I swear,” Sanzo bites out, sitting up abruptly and glowering at the kappa and the monkey. “If you two idiots cause those two smart-alecks to go on a strike again…”
 
Gojyo sighs loudly in disgust. “Fine, fine…” he mutters, contenting himself with gingerly inserting his lanky form between Goku and Sanzo. “Happy now?!” he snarls at the monkey.
 
Goku rolls his eyes. “Just you remember that I'm an innocent, pure soul. None of your lovey-dovey hanky-panky tonight, if you please,” the boy replies witheringly. “Especially when we're crammed together like sardines.” His stomach rumbles suddenly, and Goku winces. “Man, now I'm hungry, darn it!”
 
“Baka…” Gojyo sniffs. He turns and leans over Sanzo eagerly. “Aren't I at least getting a kiss good-night?” he pouts deliciously, winking upside-down at a scowling Sanzo.
 
Sanzo frowns and yanks him down, ravishing his mouth thoroughly. After which, the blond proceeds to ravish the kappa's throat as well. Gojyo sighs ecstatically, until it slowly dawns on him that the blond is kissing him and sniffing him too.
 
Gojyo pulls back, red eyes incredulous. “I thought you said you trusted me!” he accuses resentfully. “Turns out you were just testing me more than anything…”
 
But the blond only stares unblinkingly at him. “What the hell are you babbling about, baby?” Sanzo scolds, trying to conceal the satisfaction from showing in his eyes. Gojyo has been a good boy. “Can't you tell how much I missed you?”
 
“Angel…!” Gojyo groans.
 
“Sly fox, rather…” Hakkai whispers irrepressibly from his place above in the comfortable bed. “Yes, indeed…”
 
“'Ch. Shut up, Hakkai.”
 
 
E.
 
The Sanzo party goes off after Shunrei. In the woods, Sanzo orders the group to split up. “Hakkai, you and Gojyo search over there. Goku and I will take this side.”
 
Hakkai nods.
 
Gojyo protests vehemently. “I want to go with you! Hakkai can take Goku!”
 
Sanzo gives Gojyo a stern look. “You'll do as you're told, kappa.”
 
“But sweetie! I want to be your partner!”
 
Sanzo quickly sidesteps Gojyo, who is about to drape an arm over his shoulder. “You idiot!” the priest scoffs. “Then we won't accomplish anything!
 
Exactly. Hehehe…” Gojyo winks devilishly. “You know we didn't have any privacy last night…”
 
“Oh just GO, will you?!” Sanzo snaps impatiently before he succumbs to the sexy lure in wicked red orbs.
 
The kappa pouts, but breaks into a grin the next instant, and blows the monk a kiss as he hurries away after Hakkai obediently. “Your wish is my command, Sanzo-mine…”
 
“Little fool…” Sanzo mutters, fighting back a pleased grin.
 
xXxXx
 
The Sanzo-ikkou turn away from the gang of demons, after discovering that “Jien” is not among them, neither Shunrei's nor Gojyo's.
 
But jeering catcalls from the youkai halt them in their tracks. Especially…
 
“Oi! Headband!”
 
“Wait up a moment!”
 
“You're a filthy halfbreed, aren't you? That's why your eyes and hair are the color of blood!”
 
“Let's see if the carpet matches the drapes, then! Hehehe…”
 
Click.
 
The next instant, the demon leader has the banishing gun shoved down his throat. His companions are cornered by a maniacally grinning Goku and a cold-faced Hakkai as well. The youkai stares wide-eyed up at steely purple eyes.
 
“Only I get to know for sure,” Sanzo drawls coolly, staring down his aristocratic nose at the terrified demon.
 
Gojyo steps up beside the monk and presses a light kiss on Sanzo's temple. He shrugs. “Yeah. Sorry, guys. Big Man's for my baby's eyes only, I'm afraid…” He gives Sanzo a saucy wink.
 
“Hmph.”
 
 
F.
 
Shunrei wakes up and is disappointed to find that the Sanzo party has left without saying goodbye. She had been hoping to offer the sexy couple “His and His” bathrobes as a parting gift, with a fresh head scarf for the nice young man, and a basketful of cakes for the lighthearted boy.
 
Auntie Pan consoles her. “The redheaded one told me to tell you that your Jien will come back, because he believes in true love, just like he has with that pretty blond young man.”
 
Shunrei stares at the elderly lady. “You don't think that's strange, then, Auntie Pan?”
 
The old lady waves her hand. “Because they're both men, you mean? Pooh. I'm a liberated woman, I am. I approved your relationship with Jien from the very beginning, didn't I?” She smiles dreamily. “I tell you, that blond and the redhead give me a toothache.”
 
Shunrei throws her arms around the older woman. “Oh Auntie Pan! You're a yaoi fan just like me!”
 
“…?”
 
xXxXx
 
Meanwhile, in the backseat, Gojyo carefully holds up a makeshift pendulum behind the drowsing Sanzo, frowning at Goku to keep quiet.
 
“You are getting sleepy…” Gojyo intones. “You are falling under my spell…”
 
Goku pinches himself to keep from laughing out loud. Hakkai amusedly observes the goings-on in the rearview mirror.
 
“You will wake up and be my sweetie-pie forever…” Gojyo whispers.
 
Goku makes a sound of disgust. “He already IS, baka!” the monkey scoffs. “Think of something original, why don't you…”
 
“Like, `you will stop being so insanely jealous and suspicious all the time'…” Hakkai suggests helpfully.
 
Gojyo frowns. “But it thrills me when he's possessive!” the kappa objects.
 
Goku yelps. “I know, I know! Say, `You will treat us to a seven-course dinner in the next town'!!!”
 
Gojyo stares at Goku.
 
“Heck, have him buy us a huge meal everywhere we go, no holds barred!” Goku exclaims excitedly.
 
“If I may,” Hakkai puts in, “I would also like to request a slower pace on our journey, and the chance of a longer rest between drives out of consideration for me and Hakuryu.”
 
Gojyo bites his lip.
 
“Suggest that the mission is done, then we can just enjoy ourselves!”
 
“Hakuryu wants the largest box of raspberry-filled chocolates, please.”
 
A cold voice drawls, making all of them jump. “Over your dead bodies.”
 
Hakkai laughs weakly.
 
Goku grimaces with disappointment.
 
Sanzo turns slowly in his seat and raises a cool eyebrow at the kappa.
 
Gojyo stammers. “I—it was a joke, buttercup! They made me do it, I wasn't even suggesting anything -“
 
THWAK!
 
The kappa winces, and looks up to glare sullenly at the monk, but his red eyes widen as Sanzo flashes him a secret grin in the rearview mirror. “I'm your sweetie-pie forever,” Sanzo mouths silently, and Gojyo breaks into a wide, happy grin.
 
XxXxX