Gokusen Fan Fiction ❯ Gokusen 30kisses Sawada x Yankumi theme part II ❯ 1 of 30 Kisses: When We Touch ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: When We Touch
Author: Seoinage
Pairing: Sawada Shin x Yamaguchi Kumiko
Fandom: Gokusen (animanga-dramaverse)
Genre: Romance/Humor/Drama
Theme: #30 - Kiss : キス
Disclaimer: Gokusen © Morimoto Kozueko and various companies with rights to it.
 
 
Author Note: Thanks to the wonderful Moon Klutz (ff.net id #5737), I have the opportunity to continue the storyline that she started in part I of Gokusen 30kisses Sawada x Yankumi theme (ff.net #2296298). You should read that first before reading any further. :)
 
This means that my fic (part II) deals with the animanga-dramaverse (basically all three mediums that it currently exists as: anime, manga, & drama, are combined). The manga is still ongoing, though both the anime and drama are finished. At the time MK wrote this, I believe she'd incorporated some things from the manga up to vol 5, some things from the anime (all 13 eps), and some things from the drama (all of first season).
 
 
You don't need to know all of the manga, or all of the anime, or all of the drama to read this fic, because the characterizations and plot will be an amalgam of all three of them. Just having a love of ShinKumi is enough. Oh, and first-hand knowledge of MK's ShinKumi fics for 30 Kisses of course. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------
 
1 of 30 Kisses: When We Touch
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Though not by much, the Kuroda household's daily schedule did shift to accommodate their Ojou's return to teaching. The lower kumi members woke up a little earlier to use the washroom, making sure to clean up after themselves. Then they were off to cook breakfast, having it ready by the time her footsteps could be heard.
 
 
At the familiar sound, Tetsu signaled everyone in the kitchen and they went into another part of the house to array themselves behind Grandfather. Shin, who stood at the front, looked up as she came into the room wearing a nice shirt and skirt, the matching suit jacket left off momentarily, her long pigtails and glasses in place. His eyes lingered for the briefest moment on her exposed knees, and he thought of her new class, comprised of all teenaged boys. That tracksuit, I'll have to…
 
 
Unaware of his musings, Yankumi exchanged morning greetings with everyone and took up her spot in between Grandfather and Shin. At the small shrine, the head of the clan made the daily offering of incense and then as one, the group solemnly clapped their hands and bowed respectfully in prayer. Ritual completed, they filed into the other room, where breakfast waited for them, wispy steam rising and smelling delicious. Afterwards, the lower kumi members cleared away the dishes on the table and wiped it down.
 
 
Shin grabbed his bag and met Yankumi in the foyer where she tried to slip into her shoes, wobbling a little. He came to stand next to her nonchalantly, in the guise of looking for his own shoes, when her hand suddenly came up gripped his arm for balance. Rolling his eyes a little while looking the other way, he acted as her support while she finished.
 
 
Grabbing her things and straightening up suddenly, Yankumi took a few commanding steps forward, already shining with determination as her glasses gleaming. “Yoush! This is the start of a new school year! I'm going to do my best!”
 
 
“Oi.” Shin slipped into the shoes conveniently arranged for his own departure, his words piercing the bubble surrounding the enthusiastic teacher. “There's no need to get so hot-headed this early.”
 
 
Undeterred, she turned around to stick her tongue out at him and then grinned cockily. “Hey, didn't I make sure 3-D graduated? Huh, huh?”
 
 
Shin internally sighed, wondering how her secret would stay a secret at Shirokin with him no longer there. “Come on, we're going to be late.”
 
 
Though she frowned up at him, he gently pushed her out the door and they made their way over to Grandfather to present their backs to him. The elder Kuroda then raised his hand, striking the two pebbles he held three times over each to ward off bad fortune. Done, Yankumi turned around to face everyone. Shin looked on.
 
The kumi all lined up to see them off, bowing as one and offering, “Take care, Ojou!”
 
 
Yankumi nodded and grinned back at each of them, answering with an, “O! I'm taking off now!”
 
 
Kyou beamed at them, “Take care, Ojou! You too, Red Lion!”
 
 
“Ou! Thank you, Kyou-san!”
 
 
Shin sighed at the nickname. “Sure.”
 
 
Grandfather smiled, “Take care, the both of you.”
 
 
Two voices blended as one. “We will, Grandfather.”
 
 
The elder nodded approvingly, “Ah, you do that.”
 
 
Shin bowed his head in respect before he and Yankumi turned and silently made their way to the bus stop. Every so often a neighbor would call out to Yankumi to wish her a good day or ask her if “Today is the first day of school, yes?” They didn't inquire as to who Shin was; they already knew through the gossip network and offered him greetings as well.
 
 
This pleased Shin, knowing his name was linked with hers.
 
 
Reaching the bus stop, he stopped her with a hand on her shoulder. As she half turned, he kissed her gently but quickly. “Have a good day, Kumiko.”
 
 
“A-ah. I will.” She looked a little dazed by the quickness of his attack, her cheeks warming with a blush.
 
 
Shin smiled inwardly at the sight, and leaned in to kiss the dazed expression off her mouth, keeping contact a little longer than before. As they parted, he tweaked one of her pigtails. “You're going to be late standing around with me.”
 
 
“I-I know that! Stop distracting me then!” She twirled around in a huff, stomping off as best she could in her pumps, briefcase in a tight grip.
 
 
Shin watched her until his bus came.
 
 
For a first day, things went well. Having taken that tour of the campus with Natsumi helped in navigating his way around. Shin found all his classes, sat through lectures, and got the required books. Grades had never been a problem for him, but now he had further incentive to do well. Not just for himself or Yankumi, but for the man he called “Grandfather.”
 
 
When Kuroda Ryuuichiro had heard how the relationship between father and son had broken during the visit to the Sawada household, he had sat down with Shin on the back porch overlooking the garden.
 
 
“The plants are beautiful this time of year. If you listen closely, you can hear what they say.” Grandfather sipped from his steaming cup of tea, the picture of solemn relaxation in his grey kimono. “I'd like to listen if you want to talk.”
 
 
The redhead's posture slumped yet stiffened at the same time. That evening, like most encounters with his father, had turned unpleasant.
 
 
Slowly, Shin recounted how they had asked for his parents' blessing to date each other, only to be rejected when his father realized who Yankumi's family was. Shin paused for a moment as his eyes narrowed, his expression tightening. Then he continued on, his voice hesitating in certain places as he told how the entire ordeal came to a head, ending with the severing of the father-son relationship. That very scenario had floated around the back of his head, but still disheartening in its reality.
 
 
Sighing, the older man warmed his hands with his tea cup. “Relationships between parent and child can be difficult. With my own daughter, this lifestyle did not suit her. Due to my own stubbornness, she left to be married with Yamaguchi and I never saw her again. However, it taught me a lesson that I would not have learned otherwise. Though they are no longer here, Kumiko is, and so now are you.” Grandfather looked at him then. “Do you regret what you decided to do?”
 
 
“No.” Shin raised his eyes to meet that understanding gaze. He could not regret having her with him.
 
 
“That is good. Regret can dull the blade and hamper the swing. Look forward, and see that there is a place for you here. Family does not have to be made by blood ties alone. So do not worry. We will take care of whatever comes our way together.”
 
 
Shin ducked his head to the side, trying to hide the flush of emotion that must be breaking free to embarrass him. What was it about these people that made him feel so good yet goofy like a kid at the same time?
 
 
“Thank you.” He finally managed, sincerely, respectfully.
 
 
“Let us enjoy our tea then.”
 
 
The memory of their talk left Shin feeling a bit warm, as if that cup of tea still kissed his hands. Shaking his head slightly, he wondered how Yankumi's first day went. Probably got assigned to another “problem class” like 3-D again, he thought, smirking. If so, they wouldn't know what hit them. Well, unless she goes back to wearing that funky black robber's mask thinking it'll conceal her.
 
 
He announced his arrival home with a muted “I'm back”, toeing off his shoes and setting them out of the way.
 
 
Minoru poked his head around the corner. “Ou, welcome home! We'll be preparing dinner in about an hour or so. The young chief wanted to train with you beforehand.”
 
 
Nodding in acknowledgement, Shin dropped his things off in his room and changed into his training pants. He then spent the next hour sparring with Kyou, muscles straining and sweat trickling into his eyes. Over time, learning to control his breathing, his actions, and his strategies even while fighting became easier.
 
 
Kyou raised a hand, signaling for a break. “I've got something to show you…Another part of your training.”
 
 
Shin raised an eyebrow. “What is it?”
 
 
The young chief went to the cloth package sitting on the edge of the porch. “Here, you know how to use this?” A decent sized knife nestled in the middle of the opened cloth package.
 
 
Shin looked at the short knife, remembered his first time at a meeting involving another yazuka group and the first time he'd seen Kyou wielding a weapon. Knowing his future and what it entailed, he stepped forward to pick up the handle in a firm grip. “No, but I hope you'll teach me.”
 
 
“Now that's the spirit, Red Lion!” A large hand roughly clapped Shin on the back, sending him forward a few steps. “Just remember this one rule: When you pick up a knife, expect to be cut. Then everything will be fine!”
 
 
Shin winced, tossing a look of disbelief over his shoulder. “Oi, everything will be fine if you're cut?”
 
 
“Well, that's not exactly the meaning behind it…More like, if you're prepared, you'll be fine.” Kyou clarified, scratching the bridge of his nose. “So, let's get started!”
 
 
They practiced some more, this time each armed with knives. Before, all of Shin's fights had involved bodily harm done (mostly) with bare fists, the more pain given to the other party the better. But now, with the sharp edge of the blade catching the last rays of light, the hilt heavy in his hand, trickles of sweat stinging his eyes and running down his chest, an added element came in. Something dangerous, serious and real. It was something Shin knew he needed to grasp quickly and completely. Life in a Yazuka family meant both good and bad, and he would one day need to step up. Determination narrowed his eyes, muscles straining, focus on the here and now. If she could do it, so can I.
 
 
A while later and after cleaning up, Shin ambled in to help prepare dinner, the band-aids staggered here and there on his arms and elsewhere hidden by his long-sleeved shirt. However, before he got even halfway to the kitchen, he was herded out the door by the other kumi members. “Hey, what's the big idea?”
 
 
Tetsu just set him next to Grandfather and Kyo with the brief warning of “Ojou's on her way.”
 
 
And speaking of the devil…
 
 
The gates swung open. Up and down the line of kumi came the response of “Ojou, welcome home!”, “Congratulations on your first day, Ojou!”, and some simply, “Ojou!”
 
 
To each Yankumi responded with a smile or an “Ou!”
 
 
“Ojou, congratulations on your first day!”
 
 
“I'm home, Kyou-san.” Yankumi finally reached them and smiled cheerfully at Shin. “I'm home!”
 
 
His dental problems seemed to be coming back since his teeth really wanted to reveal themselves in an embarrassingly huge smile. But he quashed the urge to nod at her, his lips quirking up slightly instead. “Welcome back.”
 
 
The head of the clan smiled at their antics and echoed Shin's words. “Welcome home, Kumiko.”
 
 
Yankumi smiled in response. “I'm back, Grandfather.”
 
 
“Ah. After you get changed, come tell us about your day.”
 
 
As Yankumi went to put on casual clothes, the rest of the kumi scattered back to their various duties. Tetsu set Shin to washing and cutting some vegetables as they were having hot pot. Minoru laid out the miniature butane stove and various utensils, fussing with the dishes and their placement.
 
 
Yankumi returned in a tank top and lounging pants, hair left loose. As she plopped down next to Grandfather, Tetsu rushed over to place a glass of melon juice on the table. “Here you go, Ojou!”
 
 
“Thanks, Tetsu.” She downed the glass in one pass. “Ah, that hit the spot! And it looks like we're having hot pot tonight. Great!”
 
 
So over hot pot, in celebration of her second year as a teacher, Yankumi regaled them with tales of her new students and their reactions. Shin found himself almost scowling before he caught himself and stuffed more food into his mouth. He'd won, right? She finally looked his way, so there was nothing strange in that he just wanted to keep it that way.
 
 
“Shin.”
 
 
It was only natural, after all.
 
 
“Oi.”
 
 
She could be so oblivious at times.
 
 
Twack!
 
 
“Wh-What was that for!” Shin stared accusingly at his attacker as he rubbed the bump now rising from where Yankumi'd hit him on the back of his head, brow furrowed in displeasure.
 
 
“That's for not paying attention and your hot pot's getting cold!” Yankumi stabbed her pair of chopsticks in his direction as if ready for battle in honor of the neglected food. Instead, she asked, “So how was your day?”
 
 
“Hot pot getting cold isn't a valid excuse to hit someone.” Shin grumbled. Then under his breath, “Not like you need an excuse anyways.”
 
 
At the narrowing of her eyes - that might or might not indicate she'd heard him - Shin went on normally, going back to eating. “And my day went fine. Got there, sat in classes, came home, and did some training.”
 
 
Still eyeing him suspiciously, Yankumi filled her dish up with more of her favorites. “Well, that's good then. Right now it's just the basics and later on, the business classes. It'll only get harder, so don't sleep in class!”
 
 
Shin snorted. “Don't underestimate me. I can handle this.”
 
 
Grandfather laughed heartily, picking up his glass of beer. “Come, let's have a toast. To your Ojou's and Red Lion's first day of school!”
 
 
Everyone grabbed their respective drinks and raised them up as they roared out, “Kampai!”
 
 
After dinner, Yankumi went over some papers and Shin took out his books. They worked companionably for sometime, the TV a soft hum in the background. The rest of the household prepared for the evening, some retiring and some leaving for their haunts and posts. Grandfather had gone out to some business, not yet returning.
 
 
Almost, they were alone.
 
 
Relaxed and content, Shin was caught off guard when Yankumi suddenly leaned over and ruffled his hair, her fingers warm and familiar. Not liking the feeling that she was treating him as a little kid yet again, and at the same time liking it because it was her, he shot his abuser an accusatory look even as his cheeks flushed slightly. “Oi!”
 
 
Yankumi leaned back, grinning like a cat. “There, that's better.”
 
 
Something clenched inside of him at her self-satisfied look, his flush deepening as an image of her looking like that, just elsewhere, flashed through his mind. When did it get hot in here? He tried to cover his sudden awareness of the woman across from him by ducking his head and trying to smooth down his abused locks. “You're a big kid.”
 
 
“What I am is happy.” Yankumi shot back with another grin, and then she spread her arms out wide and fell onto her back, staring up at the ceiling with a soft smile. “It's also good to be home.”
 
 
Putting down his book, he shifted till his hands framed either side of her prone body, supporting him till he almost touched her, body to body. He met her startled eyes with a quirk of his lips even as he leaned down, fascinated by how her cheeks bloomed spots of pink, how her lips parted like she wanted to say something but couldn't, how her gaze suddenly slid off to the side in embarrassment only to sneak glances back up at him every so often.
 
 
Bracing himself on one hand, Shin lifted the other to cup the side of her flushed face, fingers sliding into her unbound hair and instantaneously bringing her eyes back on him. Capturing her gaze with his, he slowly continued the downward descent of his head even as he kept distance between their bodies. He didn't want to think about what would happen if someone walked in on them right now. Would I care?
 
 
Closer and closer…At a certain point their eyes fluttered shut, feeling breathes mingling until finally, he rested his forehead on hers in a gentle kiss.
 
 
“Ah, welcome home.”
 
 
Now that she looked at him, it was only natural that he wanted it to remain that way after all.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
In the drama, there were several scenes where the kumi lined up outside the front door to see Yankumi off to school, and to welcome her when she returned. I wanted to recreate that just for their first day! ^^
 
 
Though I didn't put an exact date to this chapter, it's actually the beginning of April. I had to mess with MK's timeline by shifting things back a month as school starts then in Japan.
 
 
I decided to spell Kyou's name with the `u' as his full name is Kyoutarou. (But it's still the same Kyo-san!)
 
 
I decided to have Kumiko's first day dressed in a suit and skirt…to play with Shin. ^o^
 
 
Hopefully this made for a good continuation from MK's “Making it Final”. I know it's a bit long… guu~ U.U
 
 
So welcome back to MK's and my wacky world of ShinKumi! ^_^
 
-
 
As always, constructive comments and critiques are welcomed and adored.