Gokusen Fan Fiction ❯ Gokusen 30kisses Sawada x Yankumi theme part II ❯ 2 of 30 Kisses: The Swells ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Swells
Author: Seoinage
Pairing: Sawada Shin x Yamaguchi Kumiko
Fandom: Gokusen
Theme: #29 - The Sound of Waves : 波音
Disclaimer: Gokusen © Morimoto Kozueko and various companies with rights to it.
 
--------------
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Class 1-D students rushed out of the room towards freedom, a week's worth of it. Golden Week had come to save them from the horrors of school, math, homework, and exams. They were so quick in leaving that her cry of, “Take care of yourselves, everyone!” only reached a few ears. Those few threw up a hand hastily in departure and followed their classmates out the door.
 
 
“Don't forget to study!”
 
 
Silence greeted her impassioned plea and she sighed, gathering her things together. Returning to the teacher's room, Yankumi set down her books and took a seat, lost in the thoughts of her cute students studying their hearts out even while on vacation. They studied so much that their test scores stunned the school and caught the eye of the local press, wherein they ran a front page story about it! An enraptured smile lit her face.
 
 
“…Yamaguchi-sensei.”
 
 
And after that, in 3 years time, they would go on to graduating with honors…okay; maybe they just had no problems graduating. The sound of applause from the crowd roared in her ears…
 
 
“YAMAGUCHI-SENSEI!”
 
 
“Ah! Is it time to present the degrees?!”
 
 
A confused pause filled the room, then a questioning voice asked, not politely, “What are you talking about, Yamaguchi-sensei?”
 
 
“Kyo-Kyoto-sensei!” Her wandering thoughts snapped back and she stared up at the looming man. “I-I mean…What can I do for you?”
 
 
Sniffing a bit in distain, the head teacher spoke down to her. “I trust that your class won't be getting into any trouble during this week off.” Suspicious eyes gleamed behind their glasses.
 
 
Yankumi gasped in indignation, standing abruptly. “Of course they won't be in trouble!”
 
 
Kyoto-sensei snorted, disbelief written over his face. “Though they're not last year's Class 3-D, you still have miscreants. Are you willing to take responsibility for their actions?”
 
 
Her eyes narrowed as her tone roughened. “Didn't I say that they wouldn't get in trouble?”
 
 
His eyes narrowed in response, his tone smirking at her. “Remember you said that. I expect you to take full responsibility should anything happen.”
 
 
Yankumi fumed as she watched the head teacher walk away. Why did he always pick on her cute students?
 
 
“Psst…Yamaguchi-sensei.”
 
 
Still frowning, Yankumi turned around to meet the interested gaze of Nakashima. The school nurse scooted her chair closer for more privacy, pulling the math teacher back into her seat.
 
 
“Are you and Sawada planning anything, you know, romantic this week?”
 
 
The frown instantly turned into a look of shock. “W-what do you me-mean by that?”
 
 
Nakashima laughed. “Come on; don't tell me you've never even been on a date! With that reaction, that's what I'll think!”
 
A blush infused Yankumi's face, and she turned to face her desk to hide from Nakashima's probing questions and gossip-seeking eyes. She could feel her blood surging like swells around her system. “Uhm…that is, we've been so busy...and ah…”
 
 
Somehow, Yankumi escaped from the encounter, though Nakashima pouted at not having her curiosity answered. Panting (she'd run almost the entire way home to make sure she wouldn't be caught again), the exhausted teacher finally slowed down into a walk as she neared the Ooedo compound.
 
 
Since school started, a month had passed. Though slow at times, she thought her relationship with her students progressed along as well. Hopefully, their understanding of math would increase also. Midterms rapidly approached.
 
 
As she got further into her clan's territory, she could feel herself relaxing. Here, people knew her true background. Here, she did not have to worry about hiding and being found out. Here, she answered to “Ojou” and the responsibilities that entailed. Here, she had Shin.
 
 
Yankumi could feel her face get red again and stopping abruptly, she started fanning herself. So what if they had never gone on a date before? What Nakashima said bothered her not at all! Really!
 
 
“Ah~ I want to go on a date.” So for the rest of the way home, glittery daydreams of perfects dates swelled through her head. Shin's sparkling (and rare) smile glistened at her, his hair delightfully ruffled in a way that made her want to touch and rumple it some more. Dashingly clad in a black tuxedo, he gallantly held a bouquet of red roses in one hand as he ran towards her, reducing her to a warm puddle of goo. She started running to meet him…
 
 
“Ojou, welcome back!”
 
 
…only to bounce off of Tetsu. “Oomph!”
 
 
A scared yet concerned look clutched the kumi member as he rushed to help her regain her balance. “Ojou! Are you hurt?”
 
 
Dazed, Yankumi looked at him. “Tetsu, when did you get here?”
 
“Ah…Ojou, you're home.” He peered at her in concern. The impact had not been that bad, had it? “Are you okay?”
 
 
Realizing where she was (finally), the serial daydreamer blinked, hoping to cover up she had been drifting off. Time for distraction!
 
 
“So, where's Shin?” she asked as she moved past Tetsu and into the house.
 
 
“He's cleaning up with Minoru at the takoyaki stand today, Ojou.”
 
 
“Oh, that's right. Will they be back soon?” She crossed the room, heading for the stairs and her room to change. It would be too embarrassing if people found out she daydreamed about Shin.
 
 
“Yes, very soon!” Tetsu hovered after her. “Ojou, are you sure you're okay?”
 
 
Having reached her goal, Kumiko rushed up the stairs, tossing a “Yes” back down. Safe! Tetsu would not dare follow her.
 
And she asked about Shin, not because he featured in her daydreams and not because of Nakashima's questions…no, not because of that. And not because of dating… Ah! Her face felt a little hot (again!), probably because of all that running. Good thing she could change her clothes and cool down. Maybe she needed a cold drink as well.
 
 
Yankumi got into some lounging clothes and headed back downstairs, almost bumping into the object of her daydr…err…Nakashima's pointed questions. “Shin!”
 
 
The red head took her abrupt appearance in stride. After knowing her for this length of time, one either got used to her, or died of an early heart attack. He thought himself made of sterner stuff than that. “I'm back.”
 
 
“Ou, welcome h-home.” Why did her face feel hot again? And why did she stutter over such a simple greeting, something she had been saying for some time now?
 
 
Shin eyed her askance. “Oi, are you okay? You're not getting sick again, are you?” He reached out to touch her forehead
 
 
Laughing nervously, Yankumi waved her hands in front of her in negative as the pounding of her heart roared in her ears. “No, no, I'm fine! I just need to get something to drink, that's all. It's not like I'm thinking about Nakashima and you and dating and…” A horrified pause when she realized what she was saying. “Ah…that's not what I meant! I mean…I meant that…I need something to drink!”
 
 
She rushed past him, hoping to put distance between her open mouth and flushed state of being. Shin looked on in silence at her fleeing back until she disappeared around a corner. Face in thoughtful contemplation, he made to go to his room, but then finally followed after her.
 
 
The next day could only be described as peaceful. Yankumi graded her stack of papers and Shin helped out at the house and trained with Kyou-san. After lunch, the serene atmosphere continued with everyone occupied by their own things. Shin studied near Kumiko as she took a break, sipping tea and watching some television.
 
 
“Yankumi.”
 
 
Caught in the middle of laughing at the comedy act, she absentmindedly responded around a mouthful of snacks. “Hmm?”
 
 
“Do you have anything planned for Constitution Day?” He never looked up from his books and notepad.
 
 
She frowned, confused. “Tomorrow? No, nothing. Why?”
 
 
“Knowing you, you might have something weird set up. That's all.”
 
 
Yankumi tossed some snacks his way, seeing some get stuck in his hair. “Ha! You deserved that, maligning my character.”
 
 
“See what I mean?” Brushing the snacks from his hair, Shin shot her a look, one that said, `See what a wacko you are?'
 
 
Except for that one incident, the day passed by peacefully.
 
 
The next day came. Shin debated whether to wake her up or not, but then decided he would rather stay out of harms way for a while longer. He could afford to wait, and besides, he could use the time to finish some things up.
 
 
An hour later, the morning rituals took place followed by breakfast, Yankumi rumpled softly in her pajamas. He nudged her gently from his place next to her at the table. “I have to do some research today, and I thought, maybe, that you could help me?”
 
 
“Oh, you're asking me…for help?” She grinned goofily at him, still a little bit asleep. “Imagine, you're asking me for help!”
 
 
“I~diot. Just be ready.”
 
 
He got a jaunty salute in return, and they continued with breakfast.
 
 
As they left the house, Yankumi looked at the bag slung over Shin's shoulder. “What happened to the bag you normally carry? This one's a bit big...what do you have in there anyways?”
 
 
Shin strolled on, nonchalant. “My other bag's in the wash, and I've some things for research.”
 
 
“Wow, you're taking this really seriously!” Shocked disbelief matched the wide-eyed look on her face.
 
 
“Are you underestimating me again?”
 
 
An amused laugh escaped, though she tried to contain it. “No, that's not it! I just can't forget you sleeping in class. That's all.”
 
 
A bus pulled up just as they reached the stop. A quick glance verified the route he wanted, so he grabbed her hand, pulling them into the vehicle quickly. Shin gave the correct fare into the collection machine and made his way towards the rear of the bus where two open seats were.
 
 
“Here. Sit down.” He made sure to sit on the aisle seat, letting her look out the window beside him. It also ensured she could not get up and do any funny stuff without him getting in her way. Not like he minded the close proximity the seats forced them to be in.
 
 
A little while later, she looked from the window towards him. “Is this the right bus?”
 
 
“Yes. Don't worry about it.” His shoulder kissed hers as the bus hit a bump.
 
 
“But we're heading away from the college!”
 
 
“We're not going to the campus for the research. Like I said, don't worry about it.”
 
 
The bus zoomed on, every so often stopping to let a passenger on or off. Yankumi allowed the scenery to flow by, deciding to trust Shin and just enjoy the ride next to him. Most of their days were spent apart, he at Kikawa and she at Shirokin. When they could spend time together, they did so, either consciously or subconsciously.
 
 
She leaned slightly against him, and she saw herself smile in the reflection of the window when she felt him lean back.
 
 
About fifteen minutes later, the bus arrived in front of the train station. They got off and headed into the terminal. The train Shin led them onto had no available seats, but he stood between her and the other passengers, standing behind her as they faced outwards.
 
 
Then they transferred from the train into another waiting bus. Though they were both unfamiliar with the area, Shin consulted no map. All the directions had been memorized the night before. Realizing they should get off soon, he pushed the button requesting the next stop.
 
 
And when he led her from the bus and across the street onto the golden sand, the sound of waves rushed into her ears, enveloping her. Yankumi looked before her and saw his red hair waving in the breeze, his profile lit by the early afternoon sun. “Oi. What are we doing here?”
 
 
“…”
 
 
“I mean, what's with the research you talked about? What kind of research did you need help with here? I can't imagine general courses giving out assignments that would require going to the beach. But maybe they do, it has been a few years since I was in college myself…”
 
 
Shin slowed down, found a level area and set the bag down. It had been getting heavy after all. He started unpacking, first the blanket which he spread, then some drinks and the bento full of food. Kumiko stood with her hands on hips, waiting for his reply.
 
 
He arranged everything, took his shoes off and sat down, pouring a drink for her and one for him. “Here, you must be thirsty.”
 
 
Not taking the cup, she blocked the sun with her stance. “Oi, aren't you going to answer me?”
 
 
“If you have to think about it, I don't want to tell you.”
 
 
She glared at him, making an almost-devil face, only a few notches below the explosiveness that could erupt.
 
 
“O-oi. You don't have to be upset. It's not like I kidnapped you.” Maybe he should put a little more distance between them. He put her juice down and moved the food instead, making up a plate and handing it to her.
 
 
After a moment Yankumi took the proffered plate, the devil-face slowly easing from her expression. She slowly sat down next to him, arranged herself and accepted the chopsticks. “Did you make this?”
 
 
Shin redirected with his own question, “Do you like it?”
 
 
She picked up the little octopus-shaped hotdog with her chopsticks. Oh! How cute! And he had included macaroni au gratin! She smiled at him. “If you wanted to eat lunch on the beach, you should have just told me!”
 
 
Shin sighed, rolling his eyes as he dug into his own plate. That idiot.
 
 
They never did go do any research, something that had not been in his plans anyways. Instead, the two spent the day playing in the rolling tides, building sand castles, and walking hand in hand. The sun cast a rosy glow on their skins as they wrestled for the last bottle of melon juice, only to be forgotten when he captured her lips with his. That is, until he tried pulling the drink from her hands only to find she still had a firm grasp on it.
 
 
The moment they finally returned home, everyone could tell the day had been good to the two. The household members grinned at each other; their Ojou was happy. The lower kumi members smiled even more brightly; when their Ojou was happy, she did not take it out on them.
 
 
The rest of Golden Week rolled by as everyone went about their business. Tetsu invited Shinohara-san over for dinner one night, feeling a bit more comfortable but still getting red around the ears. As before, Yankumi acted as interception, sending death glares around to kill any comments before they could leave taunting lips. Tetsu, if he had known, would have been grateful (only to hunt down his would-be tormentors to beat them up). Shinohara-san, if he had known, would have laughed softly in amusement while holding Tetsu's hand in support (as well as to restrain him from beating up people).
 
 
Shin planned no more detours, but the memory of the waves swelled and echoed in their ears sometimes, like a phantom visiting and soothing.
 
 
Even when the night she got a phone call which required her (and Shin, of course) to leave the house in the evening to help out a few of her cute students, Yankumi's good mood returned quickly afterwards. (She chalked it up to the ease in clearing her students' name and the good evening weather.)
 
 
The vacation week started coming to an end, and both she and Shin started preparations for returning to their respective schools. In their hearts, the two felt reluctant…because it would mean them having to wake up early again.
 
In the morning before doomsday, Yankumi woke up in her normal fashion: slowly, groggily, and a bit unwillingly. Languidly she flipped the covers off her head to let in the sunlight, eyes still closed to catch just a bit more sleep.
 
 
Five minutes later, she woke up again, turning her pillowed head to the side to check the time, only to find a small seashell sitting next to the clock. Blinking (was she seeing things or still dreaming?), Yankumi finally smiled sleepily and softly in remembrance. Shin…thank you.
 
 
 
 
 
--------------
 
The theme, the sound of waves, refers to Yankumi's daydreams and emotions. It also literally refers to the sound of waves heard at the beach. ^_^
 
Golden Week is the end of April/beginning of March and consists of 4 national holidays falling within a 7 day period (Greenery Day, Constitution Day, National Day, and Children's Day).
 
I kept Kyoto-sensei as he was, instead of promoting him to being Shirokin's Principal like the Gokusen 2003 Special did.