Gravitation Fan Fiction / Fake Fan Fiction ❯ Little Moments ❯ Logic ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Just a cute little Drake/JJ vignette….short….thing…. As stated in the previous chapter….vignette….thing….this can also be found as part of Moments Like This.
 
I had no particular spot in mind for the timeline in this particular story….it's just there.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------
 
Logic
 
Drake sighed in relief after JJ finally fell asleep. It had been a long night, filled with tears, depression, alcohol, and angry words, but it was finally drawing to a close.
 
Earlier that evening, JJ had called Drake in tears. It had been the second time that this had happened, and it wasn't getting any easier for Drake to watch his partner crying over Dee. He already had half a mind to go and make his friend suffer greatly for what he had done to JJ.
 
But now wasn't the time, and even if it was, Drake knew he wouldn't have the heart. Dee was in love; no one had the right to take that away from him.
 
Still, watching JJ sleep, his face red and swollen from hours of crying, Drake felt something stir inside him. Lately, he had felt fiercely protective of his partner in ways that he never had before Dee and Ryo had finally declared themselves an official couple.
 
There were moments nowadays when Drake could swear the dynamic was changing between the two of them. Moments when JJ came to Drake for comfort or friendship. Moments when things were just…different.
 
Sure, JJ was loud, annoying, overly friendly, more that a little insane, and knew no bounds when he went after something with reckless abandon as he so often did. But past all that, there was a small, vulnerable man who needed nothing more than someone to take care of him. He had been on his own for so long, thinking only of one man and not opening himself up to anyone else…and now he was suffering alone because of it.
 
Then Drake had come along, and things had changed entirely. Now the two were becoming closer and closer, and friendlier and friendlier.
 
At times, Drake thought that JJ was seeing something different in him, too. There were times when JJ seemed to look past the image that Drake had painstakingly built around himself, and see the person behind it…the person that he had tried so hard to make sure nobody saw. That thought scared Drake to death sometimes. It was refreshing to have someone that he didn't have to hide from, though…
 
The problem was, sometimes Drake thought maybe JJ wanted more than friendship. And even worse, there were times when he wondered if there would be something so wrong with that…
 
Drake was pulled out of his thoughts when JJ stirred and blinked his eyes open. “Drake?” he inquired, his voice sleep-filled and groggy. “What are you still doing here?”
 
“Well…I didn't want to leave you alone. You might have gone back to the drink if I had.”
 
At that, JJ smiled with heart-stopping sweetness. It was a real, genuine smile that made Drake's heart skip a beat—with relief, he told himself firmly.
 
“Oh…well, you can go home now, if you want. I'm all right,” JJ reassured.
 
“Nah, I think I'll stay,” Drake replied, reaching for the newspaper on the bedside table, turning to the crossword section, and taking a pen out of his pocket. Reaching back over to the table, he turned the lamp on at its dimmest setting, which he knew JJ could sleep with. “You go back to sleep. I'm gonna stick around for awhile. Got no reason to go home, anyway.”
 
JJ pushed himself up on his elbow and propped his head on his hand. “Sara dump you?”
 
“Yeah. She's gone.”
 
“Oh… I'm sorry, Drake.”
 
Drake shrugged. “It wasn't meant to be, I guess. Now go to sleep.”
 
JJ smiled and let his head drop back onto the pillow. “Okay.”
 
“Good night.”
 
Silence.
 
“Drake?”
 
Drake sighed in exasperation. “What?”
 
“Why are you doing all this for me?”
 
Drake blinked. “Because you're my partner, moron. Now go to sleep.”
 
JJ chuckled. “Okay, okay. Night.”
 
“Good night.”
 
JJ was asleep minutes later, but Drake didn't leave the bed. He lay there all night, not sleeping much, just watching his partner. He convinced himself that it was because he wanted to make sure JJ really was all right, but a tiny part of him—a part that he'd kept locked so tightly away that he had even managed to convince himself that it wasn't there—told him that it was for a bigger reason than that. He ignored that part, however.
 
I'm not gay. Not, not, not. It can't happen. I can't like him that way. We're friends, and that's it. That. Is. It.
Then, weeks later, JJ called him in tears for the third time and he rushed over to offer whatever he could in the way of comfort; the two ended up sharing a very passionate kiss on the couch, and Drake started to realize that something was very, very wrong with that logic…