Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Fleeting Inspiration ❯ The Impound Lot ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fleeting Inspiration
by Anna Sartin

. . .

Chapter Twelve: The Impound Lot

.

After unsuccessfully trying to escape from the hotel out the back entrance, Eiri, Shuichi and Yoshi had been escorted out of the main lobby and into a secure waiting room for their own safety. The mob had broken through hotel security and was raiding the place. Screams of "Come out, Yuki-sama!!!" and "Shuichi, I love you!!!" could be heard from one end of the hotel to the other. The two men sat in silence, too embarrassed to speak.

Yoshi called his uncle for help. Officer Eto assumed his nephew was exaggerating until he arrived on the scene. He took one look at the chaos surrounding the hotel and called for back up, realizing it was going to take more than just one cop to get the situation under control. Honestly, trouble followed those two everywhere!

After discussing a plan of action with hotel security, he escorted his nephew to his car first. They were followed by two hotel employees carrying Eiri and Shuichi's luggage and a security guard bringing up the rear. When everything was loaded in the car he told Yoshi to drive to the front the building and wait for further instructions.

So far so good.

Unfortunately Yoshi had a long wait. When the local police arrived, it took them over half an hour to get the situation under control enough to get Eiri and Shuichi out of the building and safely into Yoshi's car. A security guard held the back door open for them, and the two men scurried to get inside away from the flashing cameras and random objects being thrown at them. One of the random objects that hit Shuichi in the head actually was a camera. He wondered if the owner had not known what she was throwing in her excitement, or if it had been snatched away by another fan and thrown before she could do anything about it. Well, either way it was his now! The singer quickly locked the door behind him, just in case one of the lunatics out there managed to get past the line of police and security officers guarding the vehicle.

Someone threw a bra at the windshield, which got stuck on a windshield wiper. Yoshi tried to get it off by turning on the wipers but that only made it go back and forth, blocking his vision. As he drove away someone jumped in front of the car, causing him to swerve and nearly hit a fire hydrant in the corner of the parking lot. "These people are crazy!" he yelled. "If this is the kind of 'fame and fortune' Lola wants she can have it!"

There was an upside to the situation. Officer Eto's police car was ahead of them, escorting them to the impound lot. It was helpful not only for security reasons but also because none of the three men driving behind him and any clue where it was.

Eiri looked at his watch, hoping there was still time to make it to the lot before noon. He hated leaving his car there overnight. There was no telling what those fools might have done to it and the fact that he had to pay to get it released seemed totally unfair. Having to pay DOUBLE if he didn't retrieve it before noon was just ludicrous and it seriously pissed him off. It was just another way for the city to steal honest citizens' money! "I wish your uncle would step on it!" he told Yoshi. "He drives like he's eighty!"

"He's a police officer; he can't break the law," Yoshi reasoned. "He can't go past the speed limit unless there's an emergency."

"Hmph." Eiri crossed his arms, sulking. He hardly ever obeyed the speed limit. It was just so... slow. "I want to get my car out of that lot before some fool scratches it!"

"Scratches can be fixed, can't they?" Shuichi asked, examining his new camera.

"That's not the point!"

"It's just a car, Yuki."

"I like that car better than I like YOU!"

Shuichi burst into tears, crying "Yuki doesn't love me anymore!"

"When did I ever say I loved you in the first place?!"

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!"

Yoshi watched the scene from his rear-view mirror. "Are you guys gay or something?"

Shuichi immediately stopped crying, and the "Shut up!" Eiri was about to yell died in his throat. They looked at each other.

"Well, yeah..." Shuichi answered. "You couldn't tell?"

Eiri smacked the singer upside the head.

"Ow!"

Yoshi laughed. "No, but I guess I should have known. You two fight like an old married couple!"

Eiri groaned, covering his face with his hand. Shuichi meanwhile took the opportunity to snuggle up to his partner in the back seat. He sighed dreamily. "Married to Yuki..."

Eiri pushed the boy away. "Dream on!"

"Aw... But I love YOU, Yuki! And we make such a picturesque couple, see? Smile for the camera!"

"Huh?" Before Eiri knew it Shuichi had squished them together again and held the camera in front of their faces, pressing the button. The flash when off and everything went white. Shuichi curled up against his love again happily, while Eiri spent the rest of the ride trying to rub the white specks from his vision. "Damn brat..."

. . .

The person in charge of the impound lot was a tall, thin man with a bored expression on his face. It reminded Shuichi of when he and Yuki had first met. Back then the writer had worn that expression nearly everyday and Shuichi had often wondered if his lover was looking through things rather than at them. He was glad his lover rarely sported that expression nowadays. He still looked annoyed half the time but it was an improvement. He snapped another photo as Eiri pulled out his driver's license and some money and handed it to the guy in the booth.

"Will you STOP that?!" the blonde yelled. He turned back to the man and told him his license plate number.

"Okay, we've got your vehicle in space 12-B," the man told them, counting the cash he'd been given. Finally he looked up and said, "This isn't enough money, Sir."

"What do you mean this isn't enough money?" Eiri asked. He held up his slip listing the amount due. "I gave you MORE than enough!"

"It's after twelve o'clock, Sir. That's an additional day's charge."

"MY WATCH SAYS 11:59!!!" Eiri shouted.

"The clock here says 12:01," the man responded, not phased in least from being yelled at. Angry people was something he had to deal with on a daily basis.

Eiri turned to Shuichi for back up, but the singer held up his bare wrists to show he wasn't wearing a watch. He turned to Yoshi next, who was holding the bra he'd just untangled from his windshield wiper.

"Mine says twelve exactly."

"The clock here says 12:01," the man repeated. "That's an additional day's charge."

"MY CAR HASN'T EVEN BEEN HERE A FULL TWENTY-FOUR HOURS!!!" Eiri shouted, grabbing the guy behind the counter by his shirt.

The man started yelling for the police, and Officer Eto forced the blonde to release him as Shuichi snapped yet another photo.

"I told you to STOP that, brat!!!"

Officer Eto looked at HIS watch as Eiri chased his lover around in circles. The cop finally looked at the man in the booth and said, "It's 11:58. Give this man his car so we can get the hell out of here."

. . .

"Some adventure, huh?" Yoshi asked his uncle a half hour later as the two had lunch together at a small coffee shop. After helping his new friends transfer the luggage to their car and letting Shuichi take his picture with his uncle as a souvenir they'd all said their good-byes and parted ways.

"If that's what you want to call it," the older Eto said. "I'm just glad it's over."

"I'm going to miss them," Yoshi replied. "They were fun to have around."

The cop snorted. "I think you spend too much time having fun and not enough time taking care of business. How do you expect the restaurant to do well if you're never there to manage it?"

The younger man tried not to roll his eyes. His uncle was as serious about his new business as his father had been about his education. He wondered how long it would take for the members of his family to realize that he could take care of himself. "It'll be fine," Yoshi answered. "Those two bought in more business yesterday than I've had all week!"

"At least they're useful for SOMETHING besides making scenes and causing riots."

Yoshi laughed. "It's a good thing you were there to straighten out that guy at the impound lot about the time, or-"

"...or Mr. Yuki would have caused another scene," the cop finished for him. "That man has serious issues and I'm tired of dealing with them." He took a drink of his coffee before asking, "You want to know a secret?"

Yoshi blinked. "Sure."

The older man grinned and pointed to his watch. "It was really 12:02."

.

~End chapter twelve~