Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Fleeting Inspiration ❯ Back In Town ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fleeting Inspiration
by Anna Sartin

. . .

Chapter 13: Back In Town

.

Eiri snapped the button on Shuichi's camera while his smiling lover stood in front of him clutching his new pillow. After finding "just the right one" on their way back to town Shuichi had pestered him all the way to their next destination to take his picture with it. Why the brat wanted to have his picture taken with a pillow was beyond him, but by the time he pulled into the parking lot of "Machiyama's Discount Bedding" and found a parking space he'd agreed just to shut him up.

"Can we go buy a mattress now?" Eiri asked, handing the camera back to the pink-haired fool. "I'd like to get this done before the dawn of the next new millennium!"

Shuichi locked the pillow in the car and returned to his boyfriend's side like a well-trained pet. "Yep!"

Inside the beds were arranged at a slant. Shuichi ran from one bed to another, trying them out.

"Try this one, Yuki! It's super-mega soft!"

Eiri sat down next to his lover and literally sank into the mattress. "It's TOO soft, idiot."

"It's cushy!"

"I said no!"

Eiri had promised himself ahead a time that he would listen to Shuichi's suggestions when choosing a new mattress, but he was NOT buying a mattress he wasn't comfortable on, no matter how much Shuichi liked it. The couple went from bed to bed, trying each one out in turn. Too soft. Too hard. Too small. Too squeaky.

Squeaky?

Were mattresses supposed to squeak when they were still new? They quickly moved away from that one.

"Can I help you, gentlemen?" a salesman in a cheap red suit asked, coming up to them. On his chest he wore a name tag that said 'I am Samu!'

Eiri raised an eyebrow. Glad he wasn't stuck with that name.

"We're looking for a mattress!" Shuichi informed him, as if they'd be shopping for anything else in a mattress store.

"Are you looking for a bed frame as well? We're having a great sale on-"

"Just a mattress," Eiri cut him off.

"Uh... right. And which one of you is the mattress for?"

"Both of us!" Shuichi piped up, before Eiri could stop him.

"Oh, you're each looking for a mattress?"

"Nope, just one," Shuichi smiled.

"Uh... riiight," Samu responded, suddenly looking very nervous. "W-well feel free to look around and let m- I-I mean someone know if you need anything." He bowed and quickly made himself scarce.

Shuichi crossed his arms and puffed his cheeks, looking rather childish. "Homophobe."

"At least he was easy to get rid of," Eiri said, examining one of the more expensive mattresses. He hated being shadowed by salesmen while he was trying to shop.

"Hey Yuki, you've got to see this!" his lover called from the back of the store a few minutes later.

He went to investigate what had his boyfriend so excited and found him laying on a bed in the corner playing with a remote controller attached to it.

"This is so cool! You push the buttons and the bed gets harder or softer depending on what you push!"

"Let me see." Eiri joined him on the other side of the bed and took the controller from him, curious to see for himself. He fiddled around with the buttons but nothing happened. "Nothing's happening."

"Sure it is."

"I don't feel any difference."

"That's because you've got the controller for my side of the bed. You need to use the one for YOUR side of the bed."

"My side of the..." He reached over and pulled out an identical controller attached to the left side of the bed. He felt the surface beneath him harden as he held down one of the buttons. Another button softened the mattress until it was as "cushy" as the first mattress they'd tried. He had to admit this thing was amazing. He adjusted the firmness back and forth until it was absolutely perfect.

With this there would be no need to compromise with his lover on a new mattress. He and Shuichi could each adjust their side of the bed to their liking.

"I love this thing!" Shuichi laughed, pushing the "VIBRATE" button on his controller.

"It vibrates?"

"Yeah! There's also a "HEAT" button."

Eiri pushed the "VIBRATE" button on his own controller and closed his eyes, enjoying the sensation. His whole body began to relax, until he suddenly saw Shuichi's camera flash through his closed eyelids. He opened his eyes and glared.

"I'm sorry, Yuki!" Shuichi laughed sheepishly. "You just look so sexy laying there I couldn't help myself!"

The blonde grinned. "Sexy, am I?"

Shuichi nodded, smiling.

Eiri rolled over onto his lover and kissed him. Shuichi, delighted by the change in the blonde's mood, latched onto him and kissed back hungrily. He couldn't say how long they lay in that position, but it ended all too quickly when they heard someone clearing their throat beside them.

Eiri broke the kiss and looked to the side, where Samu was standing beside the bed with a disapproving look on his face.

The blonde cleared his own throat before grinning at the salesman and saying, "I guess we'll take this one."

. . .

The electronics store was only a few blocks away from Machiyama's on the corner of 4th Street and Main. Shuichi pulled "Four Gay Elves" out of his duffel bag as they parked in front of the store.

"What are you going to do with that?" Eiri inquired as he turned off the car.

"The library's right around the corner. We can drop this in the donation box when we're done here," he answered.

Eiri had to admit it was a good idea. He wanted to get rid of the blasted thing once and for all. Their new mattress was going to be delivered to the apartment later in the day, and he'd feel a lot better if they lost their "bad luck charm" before then. Not that he was superstitious or anything. He eyed the book warily as he opened the car door, just to make sure it didn't jump out at him when his back was turned.

I seriously need to get rid of that thing. It's starting to screw with my head.

When he stepped out of the car the first thing he saw was his brother running down the street like his ass was on fire.

"What the HELL???"

Ryuichi ran close behind, while the "owner of The Daily Bread" chased them with a cookbook. Pages were flying everywhere, and she stopped every few seconds to pick some up while ranting about how they'd "disturbed the Lord's day of rest".

Didn't I throw that stupid book in a dumpster? Eiri wondered, watching the pages fly past the three runners.

The wind was to their backs, so it looked like Tatsuha and Ryuichi were running in a flurry of recipes. Ryuichi dropped Kumagoro and was forced to backtrack to get him. Unfortunately, he was sidetracked as well.

"Look, Tatsuha!" he called, picking up one of the pages off the ground. "A recipe for homemade ice-cream!"

"Run!" the young monk shouted, but it was too late. In the short time it took Ryuichi to forget why he'd stopped (or, indeed, why he was running in the first place), the crazy woman had picked up Kumagoro off the ground. The childlike singer whimpered as he suddenly found her standing over him, clutching his rabbit dangerously.

Eiri lips curled into a smile and laughter erupted from his body before he could stop it.

"You want something to take a picture of, brat? Take a picture of THAT!"

Shuichi did so, before looking up at his lover and asking, "Shouldn't we HELP them?"

Ryuichi and Tatsuha resumed running away as the woman chased after them waving the cookbook in one hand and the singer's stuffed animal in the other. Shuichi took another picture.

Eiri continued to laugh as he walked away. HIM help that blackmailing little twerp? "HELL no!"

.

~End chapter thirteen~