Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ In The Arms Of A War Hero ❯ Unbeknownst ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

-Author's Note-
I find that this fanfic is going at a nice pace so far. And I'm appreciative to all of you who have taken the time to read it!
I hope all of you who enjoy Gundam SEED enjoy reading this fanfic as much as I enjoy writing it!
Please enjoy!
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
In The Arms Of A War Hero
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
Unbeknownst
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
Chapter 3
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
 
“Took you long enough. You know, you drive like an old person…”
 
“I already told you, Cagalli. There was an accident, traffic was slow.”
 
Cagalli stood up from where she sat on the concrete steps of the ORB Council Building. She brushed off her pants and pulled down her suit jacket. Kira had arrived almost an hour after their phone conversation. And Cagalli had been tempted to just walk home, even though the walk itself would take a couple hours.
 
“Oh well…You're here now, that's all that matters. Where are we going for lunch?”
 
Kira and Cagalli got in the car as Kira adjusted his seatbelt and Cagalli leaned over from the leather passenger seat to turn on the vehicle.
 
“Thanks. And we're going back home,” Kira replied turning in his seat and backing out from his parking spot onto the small, secluded street that led to the freeway back to their country home.
 
“Home? Is Miyu making lunch?” Cagalli asked putting down her window and taking is deep gushes of air as it coated her face as they drove.
 
“Yeah, she is. Fish and pork I think.”
 
Cagalli nodded her head as she reclined in her seat a tad and closed her eyes. “Ok, gramps, when we get home, wake me.”
 
Kira sighed but agreed, “I do not drive like an old man…”
 
“Yes you do…” Cagalli mumbled as her breathing fainted and was unheard from the breeze that blew in from her window causing her hair to bounce off her cheeks.
 
Kira put the radio on a low rumble and nodded his head to a song and slowly, yet surely made his way home.
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
“Athrun, wake up.”
 
Athrun was shaken awake by Dearka who hovered over him with a wild look in his eyes. Athrun sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes as he let out a yawn.
 
“What's going on?” he asked.
 
“It's Thursday, your father's coming down today. I thought I should wake you.”
 
Athrun nodded, “Oh.”
 
A distance away they heard some rattling and faint voices. Athrun recognized one to belong to his father. He felt a chill run up his spine just thinking about what his father was going to discuss with them.
 
Clicking of shoes echoed off the emptiness of the cement walls. The prison area was solid yet hollow.
 
Patrick Zala appeared in front of the boys in a matter of seconds, gazing down upon their derelict bodies. He emitted a strong sense of authority and arrogance.
 
“I have a proposition for you,” Chairman Zala began, placing his arms behind his back and tossing his weight subtly from foot to foot. “I suspect you are eager to get out of this cell, am I right?”
 
“Obviously,” Dearka scoffed, switching his position from on his knees to resting against the wall. He groaned when he felt the cold metal of the cuffs rub against his already punctured skin.
 
“During the battle between forces in Alaska, a mobile suit containing a very important commanding system was shot down and the system was lost from us. Your mobile suits are the only capable ones this PLANT has to pass through the Earth's atmosphere to arrive in Alaska and retrieve this technology.”
 
“So you want us to play fetch, is that it?” Dearka barked gazing up at Patrick Zala with the uttermost amount of hate his body could find capable.
 
“In a manor of speaking, yes.”
 
“What do we get for this?” Dearka asked.
 
“You get out of this cell.”
 
“Yet we'll belong to ZAFT? Belong to this PLANT?” Athrun said, standing up and walking towards his father, his right leg at a limp. He stumbled towards the front of the cell and stood facing his father on the opposing side of the metal bars.
 
“Yes, you will be apart of this PLANT once again.”
 
Athrun nodded his head and looked away from his father, too ashamed and embarrassed to look the man in the eyes.
 
“I'll do it,” Dearka said, struggling to stand, “If it means that I'll get out of the damn cell.”
 
The chairman nodded his head and called for a soldier to accompany Dearka out of the prison.
 
The cell door was unlocked by the guard and Dearka gave Athrun a begging and promising glance as he disappeared around a concrete wall.
 
“And you, Athrun?” Patrick said looking disgustedly upon his own flesh; his own son.
 
Athrun looked up at his father, his eyes shaking with repugnance, “I'll accept, father. But I am going to make one thing clear.”
 
His father raised an amused yet bewildered eyebrow, “And what would that be?”
 
Athrun straightened his posture and looked at his father, as an equal, not as a military leader, or as a parent. “I will go back to the PLANT, but I will not in anyway work towards encouraging this war. I will only be a retriever, a messenger, anything but a fighter unless it is especially necessary in a means of self-survival, not for petty adversary destruction.”
 
His father looked down upon his son, the tiniest bit of pride yet annoyance radiating down from his dark eyes. “Spoken like a Zala,” his father crowed.
 
“Is that understood, father?” Athrun said sternly, shrugging off his father's comment.
 
“Yes, Athrun, you may do as you like when returning to the PLANT. But if a messenger or retriever is what you want, then you have my solemn word that you will be called often and be put to work.”
 
His father opened the door to the cell and walked ahead of Athrun as they made their way towards the surface of the building.
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
“Cagalli, we're home, wake up.”
 
Cagalli's eyes gradually fluttered open and she sat up in her seat stifling a yawn. “How long did that take?” she asked.
 
“Almost forty-five minutes.”
 
Cagalli raised her eyebrows and put on a bemused look as she got out of the car, “Huh…a new record.”
 
Kira rolled his eyes at the comment and locked the car and followed his sibling inside the Attha mansion.
 
They were warmly greeted by Takayaki and made their way towards the kitchen talking idly about ORB and how things have been going.
 
“Welcome home, Ms. Attha, Mr. Yamato,” Miyu called from the kitchen, “lunch is all ready if you would just like to take your seats.”
 
“Mm, great, thanks Miyu!” Cagalli called walking post haste to her seat.
 
Food, food, food, food, she inwardly chanted rushing to her seat and sitting down.
 
Kira laughed at his sister's behavior, sometimes mockingly wondering how she became the Representative of ORB.
 
Miyu came in and gave both Kira and Cagalli their meals and they ate and kept humble conversation throughout. Kira saying most and Cagalli saying least.
 
“Mm, this is delicious, Miyu!” Cagalli called after taking a deep sip of cranberry juice. Miyu smiled and gave a slight bow to Cagalli, “I'm very glad you like it, Ms. Attha.”
 
“Oh, Kira,” Cagalli began, “how would you feel if we went back to Alaska?”
 
Kira looked up from his meal to gaze in the eyes of his sister, “Alaska?”
 
Cagalli nodded, “Before I left the ORB Council, a group of men were discussing with me a soon-to-be trip to Alaska to show me how the tactics of the operation were not properly filed. And you, being my bodyguard and my brother, you would come with me.”
 
“Alaska…” Kira said as he lowered his head and looked down at his plate, swirling around a piece of neatly cut fish.
 
“You…you don't have to go, Kira,” Cagalli quickly added.
 
“No, if you go, I'll go with you.”
 
“You sure?” Cagalli gently asked.
 
“I was chosen by the ORB Council to protect you. What kind of protector would I be if I didn't go with you anywhere you went?”
 
Cagalli managed a small laugh, “But if you're uncomfortable with it, Kira, we don't have to go. I mean, I can just tell these guys `no', I mean - ”
 
“No, Cagalli,” Kira interrupted forcing a smile, “I'll go with you.”
 
Cagalli offered Kira a small smile, “Thanks, Kira.”
 
He smiled at her and they ate the rest of their meal in silence, until Miyu came in to collect the dishes.
 
“How was everything?” she asked.
 
“Really good, thanks,” Kira said getting up from his chair.
 
“I'm pleased to hear so,” Miyu replied.
 
“Oh, Kira?” Cagalli said calling after her brother in the hallway. He turned on his heel to face his sister as she walked up to him.
 
“Have you heard from anyone? Lacus? Athrun?” she asked.
 
“No…I haven't.”
 
“Oh,” Cagalli said sitting on a step of the staircase. “Do you think they're ok?”
 
“I'm sure they're fine, Cagalli. Just busy, probably. After all, Miriallia's a photographer, Lacus travels and Athrun and Dearka are in space, it's not like they can spare much time to send us letters.”
 
“You say it like they don't want to let us know how they're doing,” Cagalli accused.
“That's not what I meant, I'm just saying that they're probably too busy to take the time.”
 
“But we're friends! If they cared about us, they should care enough to send us the letters they promised they'd send!”
 
Cagalli stormed upstairs and Kira heard her bedroom door slam shut, and he sighed and ran an agonizing hand through his hair.
 
He nimbly crossed over the drawer in the hallway and kneeled to open the bottom drawer. He grabbed out a piece of paper and held it tightly in his hand as he delicately opened the piece of paper and reread it. He felt tears form in his eyes as he reread the message on the sheet.
 
Kira,
It has been a while since we've written, and I hope you and Cagalli are doing alright. Dearka and I are managing, but barely. My father held us captive in a cell but has finally released us to travel to Earth in search of some kind of tracking system in a defeated Gundam. I hope you and Cagalli are doing alright and I desperately hope to see you soon.
 
Your friend,
Athrun
 
P.S - please give Cagalli my best
 
Kira looked up at Cagalli's closed door and ran a hand over his face. He didn't want to keep this letter from Cagalli, but he didn't want her to be worried over Athrun's current position.
 
But he knew he was going to have to tell her about the letter, sooner or later.
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
-Author's Note-
I hope you enjoyed that! I love the conflict between Kira and Cagalli about the driving, lol. And I hope the Dearka, Athrun situation is more cleared up. Interesting how they'll be going to Alaska…
 
|<>|<>|<>|
 
If there are any confusions or questions, do not hesitate to ask via e-mail or review.
Reviews are not mandatory, but are appreciated.